[Paragon's Vlogs] The Lost Isles

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This forum contains a new feature for Mizahar - Videos and Vblogs! Feel free to post your Videos, vblogs, chats, and comments here. Find us on Youtube under WritersRPG!

Postby Schon on March 11th, 2013, 8:33 pm

Cheers to that Paragon! good advice. I know I'm guilty of a few of those, but glad to see what I can do to improve my writing.

By the way love VBlogs.
Schon
Player

Words: 9486
Joined roleplay: February 22nd, 2013, 5:41 am
Race: Ethaefal
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Echelon on March 13th, 2013, 4:22 pm

When I explain to new players why past tense is important I usually describe Mizahar as a book, and in order for one's story to fit seamlessly into this book they must write in the same tensing as each other chapter, each other character. Thus, WEATHER past tense is superior or not is far less important than fitting each and every character into the tapestry, the novel, which is Mizahar.

P.S. I don't read XD You can learn to be creative, and how to write without reading. That said, I am sure it helps. Even if all you read is other people's posts though, through practice you will improve. Just keep it up, and get an idea or what your goal is :) Try to find a player/character you really admire and find out what they are doing that you aren't. What do they write about that you don't, or what do they leave out that you spend time on? Try out different styles, even if it's a botch you'll still learn something <3

Peace
Echelon
Pew~Pew!!

Words: 238180
Joined roleplay: March 9th, 2012, 5:21 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Verilian on March 14th, 2013, 2:13 pm

I must admit, I do not like present tense either. The only exception so far has been the Hunger Games, which was written first person present tense. But I was weirded out by it at first. It was a good story though, so I let it slide.
Forecast for tonight... Dark
-----
Wind Reach---Wind Reach Lore---WR Request Thread
Verilian
Retired Staff

Words: 1113582
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:53 pm
Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Philomena on March 14th, 2013, 2:29 pm

Paragon -

Totes enjoyed your video, and thought it was very insightful. I agree on the reading point, particularly - reading changes the way you write in fundamental and powerful ways. I could argue about present tense on princiiple, but on an RP site, and in order to create a consistent tense, I agree, so semantic arguments, we can have over PM if you're ever bored enough ;P

But, I was curious...

One of the things that we DON'T have on Miz is editing. I know there are a lot of people on Mizahar who just plain love to write, who want to write (and presumably who want to write better). I wonder if we've ever done any kind of post exchanging, to edit for each other? You learn a lot through writing, of course, but I'd DIE to have someone who knew how to write and edit go through a post or two with me and offer candid feedback - not necessarily because I'd change the action of a post that's already up, but to point out my weaknesses so I can improve on future posts. I wonder if others have had a similar desire.
Philomena
Player

Words: 718931
Joined roleplay: December 29th, 2012, 3:40 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Elysium on April 4th, 2013, 3:00 pm

First, nice shirt. ;)

Second, I agree wholeheartedly. I never feel more inspired to write than when I've just finished a novel. Even by reading along threads on the site, I feel renewed. There is no better practice than to read and to read often. For lack of a better phrase, it broadens your horizons.

I remember when I began writing here, I did the whole "repeat the previous dialogue" thing. It's a new player idiosyncrasy. Jules actually approached me one day and gave me some pointers on how to write around the dialogue rather than repeating it. Turns out she did the same thing, way back when. I'm definitely grateful she did it. By letting go of that safety harness, I was able to grow as a writer.

I think you should expand. I'd love to see a video where you sort of talk through your thoughts in replying to a post. Everyone does it differently; I know I re-read the post about seven times before even beginning to reply.
Elysium
Never venture, never win.

Words: 519270
Joined roleplay: December 12th, 2012, 9:49 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Artist (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Verilian on April 4th, 2013, 3:16 pm

Elysium, that's a really cool idea, and I'm going to steal it. Next post I do, I'm videoing my thoughts as I write it.
-----
Verilian
Retired Staff

Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Elysium on April 4th, 2013, 5:01 pm

Hurray!
Elysium
Never venture, never win.

Words: 519270
Joined roleplay: December 12th, 2012, 9:49 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Artist (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Verilian on April 4th, 2013, 8:22 pm

And here it is.
-----
Verilian
Retired Staff

Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook

Previous