Closed At Home in the Woods

Kahno // A raven happens upon a lone wolf.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

At Home in the Woods

Postby Dust on December 21st, 2012, 1:59 pm

OOCSorry for the delay!

The white raven was focused primarily on the rabbit, intently willing it to run away instead of past her. It did seem bewildered by her abrupt entre into the chase, wheeling off in an array of rather impressive evasive maneuvers. She could never run around on the ground like that.

The wolf's approach didn't register on her senses until he was practically on top of the rabbit, which itself attempted to dash past the predator -- attempted, and failed. Not that Dust had much time to recognize and celebrate their success, as she huddled down tight against the ground in the moment before the wolf's thundered right over the top of her.

That was admittedly rather closer than she'd intended to get...

Somewhat rattled, the raven poked her head up to peer over her shoulder towards the wolf -- who for his part seemed completely engrossed in his meal. The bird shook herself out and straightened back up, turning to put one eye on the feeding wolf and occupying herself with checking over wing- and tailfeathers for signs of damage. He didn't seem to have stepped on any... but she'd hate to find out by trying to fly, and failing at it.

She would have taken off when her self-inspection was complete, but the wolf had by then finished eating and was padding back over towards her. Dust tipped her head to study his approach -- he didn't look like he was hunting her, so she remained, warily. Though when the beast had the effrontery to step on her tailfeathers -- gently, but still! -- the raven erupted in a spate of irate caws. Only to be interrupted by the swipe of his tongue across her head.

...was that supposed to be wolfish for thank you, or something?

He shifted then, which at least put them on an equal footing. Feathers fluffed up with outrage, the raven eyed the man for a moment, then essayed her own transformation. The flicker of light left a young woman with the raven's blue eyes crouched on the earth, dull red streaks staining her white hair.

Dust glowered at the wolf and crossed her arms to emphasize her outrage. "Don't you ever step on my feathers again!" she exclaimed, also in Common. But after a moment, her more normal amiability seeped through to the surface. "Other than that, though, you're welcome. It was fun." A pause. "Skybird, huh? That's kinda cute. I like it!"
Dust
Player

Words: 160562
Joined roleplay: October 21st, 2012, 7:31 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

At Home in the Woods

Postby Kahno on March 28th, 2013, 8:42 pm

Dark eyebrows crinkled over golden eyes as the small bird-turned-woman snapped at Kahno. For a split second, his nose wrinkled in a rebuttal, but he caught it and dismissed his frustration. She had, after all, just assisted him in acquiring his meal.

The woman was a curious being. Her white hair matched that of her pallid, colorless feathers. Her blue eyes were the same as in her alternate form. He cocked his head in her direction. The way she spoke confused him. Cute? What was that? What was that? Cute. Cute? Cute… Hm.

”Skybird, yes. It’s what you are. There are Groundbirds, too. They are, well, grounded. Stuck on the forest floor. Unless you have something else more specific that you are called?”

Kahno
After all, it's you, my pride, and me.

Words: 40399
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2012, 2:36 pm
Character sheet
Scrapbook

At Home in the Woods

Postby Dust on March 30th, 2013, 10:53 pm

Dust plopped herself down on the ground, then shifted around to cross her legs. Her hands resting idly in her lap, she looked over at the wolf Kelvic, grinning at his words. "Weell... specifically, I'm called Dust!" she replied cheerily. "But if you mean what kind of bird I am, I'm a raven. Most ravens are black, though. I haven't seen another that was white." A beat. "Kelvic or otherwise," she added as an afterthought.

The young woman reached up to run a dirt-speckled hand through her blood-streaked hair. It didn't exactly improve much. "And you're a wolf. Is there something more specific you're called?"
Dust
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

At Home in the Woods

Postby Kahno on April 2nd, 2013, 8:39 pm

Dust. The word made Kahno glance up towards the forest canopy. The sunshine occasionally peeped through the foliage, and particles of dust could be seen floating around, sparkling and settling anywhere and everywhere. The wolfman looked at the woman sitting before him. She was named Dust, and she spoke with a strange tone. She was intelligent, at least. He could tell that for sure.

”I’m called Kahno. My mother said it was the sound the forest made the night I was born. Wind broke through the trees, and whistled on its way back out.” He paused and shrugged. ”Not that that’s important, other than I’m curious as to why you’re named after the messy particles that shimmer in the sunshine.”

Kahno crossed his arms across his chest and watched her intently.

Kahno

Character sheet
Scrapbook

At Home in the Woods

Postby Dust on April 4th, 2013, 10:15 am

Kahno. Dust tipped her head to one side as she considered the name and its significance. "That's a neat story!" she replied. "Kahno. Kaaahnoooh," the young woman went on to muse aloud, clearly testing the name and its relationship to wind-sounds.

"There's nothing really so neat about my name," she supplied in return. "My feathers are kinda dust-colored. Dust in the air and on the ground. You know, not really white, though most people call them that. Like I said, it's strange for a raven." The raven Kelvic shrugged her shoulders, but in a good-humored way. "It's also kinda fitting 'cause I've been on a lot of roads, and roads are very dusty."
Dust
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

At Home in the Woods

Postby Kahno on April 10th, 2013, 4:47 pm

Kahno could not make himself find interest in the idea of a road. He knew more or less what it was; a territorial pathway of some sort, used by the two-paws to get from place to place. It was a sign of their weakness, in his opinion. He had never needed a designated pathway to remember his way around. He didn’t need help getting to where he was going or back to where he came from. His keen canine senses proved their worth. That was all he needed to navigate his way around the forest, or anywhere, for that matter.

This little skybird woman was a curious thing. She was chipper and talkative. She was nearly his polar opposite. It wasn’t very often that he could tolerate such.

”Well,” He cleared his throat. ”I thank you, again, for your help. I don’t mind you being in my territory. Should we ever cross paths again, I will not bother you as long as you are not interfering with any of my day’s tasks. Do not draw the two-paws into my territory, and we should be fine.” He looked over her one last time. ”I have a full belly and need a nap now. Until next time, Dust Skybird.”

With his parting words he gave her a polite nod and turned to disappear into a cool, dark place in the forest so that he may lay down and sleep.

OOCI couldn’t think of anywhere else to go with this thread… I don’t wanna overrun it with a bunch, so that we have room to start another thread together soon to build on their friendship. :) if that makes sense, lol. So here we have their basic meeting. Next time we can work on a common skill together with the two!!

Kahno

Character sheet
Scrapbook

At Home in the Woods

Postby Dust on April 10th, 2013, 9:57 pm

The wolf Kelvic took his leave of the raven, claiming a need for a nap; she tilted her head, mildly bemused. It was a beautiful forest and a beautiful day, and he wanted to just go sleep? ...Oh well. Dust grinned at his retreating form, then waved vigorously, though he didn't turn back to see it. He just faded into the cover of the brush. "Good-bye, Kahno!" she called after him. "It was nice meeting you!"

Even if he did take liberties with her feathers.
Dust
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

At Home in the Woods

Postby Limey on April 12th, 2013, 8:11 pm

Dust

Skill and Lore Rewards
Skills Lore
Observation 4 A Whole Sky To Explore
Hunting 1 Takes A Kelvic To Know One
Tactics 1 Trying To Direct Prey
Kahno: Grateful, But Direct

Kahno

Skill and Lore Rewards
Skills Lore
Observation 3 Swift And Stealthy... But Not Always Sure
Hunting 3 No Trust Given, Just Because We Are The Same Race
Rhetoric 1 Credit Where It's Due
Dust: Helpful, But Flighty (Well, Duh)
Roads... A Curious Concept

Additional Notes :
Once again, Kahno, a nice little thread. I liked your characterization as well, Dust. Very direct and curious, like a raven probably would be. Good work with the hunting and trapping as well, I liked the cooperation and mutual respect by the end of it.

Any questions or queries, please PM me.
Limey
[Insert G&R Lyrics Here]

Words: 91990
Joined roleplay: January 20th, 2013, 10:32 pm
Race: Human
Office

Previous