Closed {Zeltiva} A Familiar Face [Lavine]

Thayer's reunion with the friend she thought she lost...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

{Zeltiva} A Familiar Face [Lavine]

Postby Thayer on May 12th, 2013, 3:36 am

It was awkward at first, Toril just sitting there and staring at Lavine with what assumed to be lust. His pupils often dilated and his nose twitched continuously in curiosity. Thayer fidgeted with her fingers and the dead skin of them- anything to have her seem as not one of the conversation that seemed to be telepathically going on between brother and friend. The air felt suffocating as Thayer waited in anxiety, an abnormal feeling of humidity in such early spring, or perhaps it was just her after all.

Then Lavine spoke, her face speaking honesty and determination, but her voice thick with pain and frustration. Toril grimaced, Thayer shrunk back and both siblings tried to wonder as to what she meant by still alive unlike others.

The silence in the air that had been recently invaded by harsh truth was amplified as though all Thayer had heard was the roar of gunfire and the shrills screams of the dying until a sudden twang of reality made her ears hum in consequence to the sudden silence. She could also hear her heartbeat in her ears and it hurt as it throbbed with no signs of ceasing.

Lavine obviously looked uncomfortable, so as to not continue to put an extended damper on the mood, Thayer shot her a sad smile, a grin of apology. She knew Lavine had a similar pain tolerance to someone such as herself and she knew that as much as they both tried their best to mask their pain and sad emotions, the truth was deliberate enough to peek through the frail mask’s cracks and blind the ones that stood around them.

Lavine seemed to acknowledge the smile as an encouragement to try again or to keep going. Her eyes lightened as she inquired about gardens. So she liked gardens, eh? It was shame that all they had were a variety of fruits and vegetables in order to last them a few seasons rather than a personal garden growing behind the tent they were temporarily staying in.

Toril cleared his throat, his pupil’s growing from their recent piercing stare. He tried to clear away the hateful sympathy both siblings knew was slathered in his voice. “No. Father had a friend who gave us these goods. I was just n town meeting him.” The sympathy in his voice had been cleverly eluded, but Thayer knew he had a good idea about what had happened to Lavine. Why did he need to ask?

Thayer’s opinion on her brother hadn’t been respected for the longest time. He had changed and was acting like a total jerk, but then again they all had changed; had lost their sense of pure, natural laughter, their peace of mind, their original happiness, and instead had become cold, heavy hearted and emotionally guarded. Tayer despised this and was sure that her hatred glowered on her face. She slapped her hand flat down upon her thigh, causing the others to jump at the abrupt noise.

“Let’s go Lavine,” she growled before gripping her friend’s hand in her talon-like fingers and leading her out of the congested tent.

Thayer hadn’t a clue to where she was going, just that she needed fresh air- or a change for the better on her aspects of life. So she took Lavine and her own jumbled mind to the location she knew best. This was where she had met her other friend, Raena. She could already hear the stream as they continued to trek through the overgrown brush of the woodlands. Thayer had released her strangling hold on her friend’s slender writ, but much like hearing her brother’s voice inside her head, still felt the flesh lingering on her fingers.

She didn’t know what Lavine was thinking, for she had been fairly silent thus far. Thayer just hoped that Lavine didn’t think of her as a lunatic orphan with a deranged hate for her only guardian brother. She also hoped that she didn’t think that Thayer was a crazed being with spastic episodes of anger of which kept burst out of nowhere.

But then she saw it; the sparkling sight of a rippled of stream through the branches that shrouded the full view. Departing the last few leaves had become a natural habit to Thayer as the two females emerged from the vast expanse of greenery into a clearing with a blue line of water down the middle, hinting an escape.

Thayer chuckled nervously and then said, “I come here now and again to get away from everything. I come to clear my head.” And then she added with great dismay, “I wish I were still a small, carefree, child.”

She looked at the wide strip of aqua and felt a hypnotic trance take itself freely upon her, as though a dark veil had fallen in front of her eyes. They were closed when she started seeing the images of Lavine and her playing games in the thin river near their old environments in Ravok. She saw the images of chasing one another, playing games of tag near sunset before enjoying a nice meal back in town at the local diner. She also saw the images of running for fireflies, sitting near a bon fire, running wild as owl and lynx with the wind before falling asleep next to one another into the morning. And then she saw a flame turn into a large forest fire, the two girls separated followed by tears and an endless travel with other animals and Kelvic race through fields of endless trees. It was a gift she didn’t have to relive the howls of canines, for she had opened her eyes again, and was now staring into the murky orbs of Lavine.

Lavine had changed so much since the girls’ childhood years; both of them had. Lavine had longer hair, a slightly darker shade from the sandy brown she had so long ago. Her eyes were darker, but only because of the pain that was trapped behind the lenses. Her face wasn’t as chubby with baby fat and had thinned out greatly. Infact, Lavine looked not only slender, but thinner than Thayer would have assumed to be considered healthy.

Thayer’s appearance had transformed itself tremendously as well. Her hair was much shorter and very ratty and worn looking. Her eyes appeared to be much colder and not as vibrant with imagination as when she was younger. Her complexion had grown far paler than its normal glow of a mix between tan and white. It was as though she could be classified as albino- or worse- a Symenestra for the lack of colour she held.

Above all, both had re-created themselves both inside and out, and at least Thayer felt discomforted by the concept of it.

“How about it,” Thayer announced suddenly. “How about we go back in time, before all this petching stuff happened-” Thayer mentally scowled, for she had never cursed before- “back to when we were merely children.”

Lavine stayed silent still, so Thayer continued, a genuine smile as large as the crescent form of the moon spreading itself across her face. “I’ll hide and you count,” she all but whispered as for the first time in what felt like centuries, her eyes twinkled and her heart felt high.

Last edited by Thayer on May 22nd, 2013, 3:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

Please Note: School has started up, therefore I will be incredibly busy with classes and homework. To all who I am roleplaying with, please expect a delay in replies!
New Note: I will be away for a couple months, so I will be inactive due to my travels out of country. Thanks to all!
Thayer
Darkness Binds All Fear

Words: 144565
Joined roleplay: March 28th, 2013, 11:14 pm
Blog: View Blog (4)
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Artist (1) Trash Medal (1)

Postby Lavine on May 15th, 2013, 11:35 pm

The situation wasn’t getting much better. Lavine still couldn’t focus on anything being said, especially the dull conversation about gardens. Toril’s nose was continually twitching out of the corner of her eye and his round, dark pools watched her every move like a starving lion. Lavine was almost relieved when a loud smack drew her away from her train of thought.
“Let’s go Lavine.” Her wrist was encased by Thayer’s rough hands before she could agree. Lavine tossed her head and threw Toril an apologetic smile but before she could see his response, they were out of sight.

Thayer headed out with a purposeful drive, Lavine mainly just dragging along behind. Since she wasn’t familiar with this part of the woods-and because she had nothing better to do- Lavine tried to find landmarks. An ivy-laced ash was here, a turtle-shaped rock over there, but before long the forest streamed together in an endless carpet of green. There was no distinction visible between up and down by the time they slowed to a more casual stroll.

She had to admit, it was nice to get out in the fresh air. The bird’s calls and soft breeze hugging Lavine’s sides did wonders to her stress, all but vanquishing the unease until she felt alive and clear-headed once more. Just ahead, a noisy flow of water could be heard rushing across the landscape. Despite the serenity the woods gave her, the stream still caused a bit of anxiety in the girl.
Tell me we’re not swimming. Please tell me we’re not swimming.
Thayer didn’t answer the girl’s silent pleas. Instead, she parted the branches and stepped through boldly, adding back to her friend, “I come here now and then to get away from everything. I come to clear my head.”
It had done just that for Lavine. What a nice place...minus the stream.
In a slightly more sorrowful tone, she went on. “I wish I were still a small, carefree child.” Lavine half expected there to be a poof and a flash of light, a wish granted by the Gods, but nothing came. It seemed her wish would go un-granted this time.

Both girls watched the stream for a moment, Thayer in longing, Lavine with unease. What Lavine saw must have been much different from what Thayer saw because anyone who saw this gushing stream lapping hungrily on the rocks would want to run away as she did. She saw the stream eating away the banks, begging for more. It would be satisfied if only it could swallow her. Lavine was ready to leave, but when she turned to share her concerns, she was met with closed eyes. Her friend was remembering better times. She knew it, could almost feel the happiness emanating from her, so Lavine waited. If it made Thayer happy, Lavine felt she had no right to interrupt that. She began to think “happy” was the wrong word however, when Thayer nearly shouted, “How about it. How about we go back in time, before all this petching stuff happened. Back to when we were merely children." The words were accompanied by smile, more vibrant and life-filled than she had seen before- one that reminded her of young Thayer. “I’ll hide and you count.” In deep contrast, these words were soft and heart-felt. Thayer’s sharp eyes danced and sang with pure joy.

“Alright.” Lavine nodded. Then, with a big, contagious grin, Thayer rushed off.
Lavine edged away from the stream before closing her eyes. “One…Two…Three…” The counting was really unnecessary. It was clear the girl was gone before she had reached two, but she was beginning to enjoy herself so she continued anyway. “Four, five, six, seven-eight-nine-ten! Here I come!” Her voice was loud and solitary when she turned around. A fleeting thought crossed her mind. Would it be cheating to fly?
“Probably.” She answered herself aloud. But I suppose I could listen. She allowed herself to tune in, listening carefully to the array of sounds around her. She heard a bird call and a twig snap but no human sounds. Breathing was too light to be caught in all this wind and her sense of smell had never been extraordinary, so that left her with sight. Her eyes scanned the surrounding forest for visual clues. There were no trampled grass patches, no ripped vines or branches, just a few old prints in the mud. Better than nothing. Lavine thought, and set her course for the muddy path.

It wasn't long before Lavine’s eyes caught on the outline of a figure, not too far away from where her path ended. Perfect! It wasn’t a great hiding spot, but then again, they hadn’t played in a year. She crept up on the figure, trying to keep her element of surprise. Stealth now. Watch your step. Her muscles wound tight, then loosed the energy as she burst from her hiding spot. “Gotcha!”

Before she even realized what was happening, the figure, the man, turned around and reached out with a thick black glove in a "steady now" gesture. His sparkling orange eyes and wide, too-white smile caused Lavine to stumble backwards in surprise. Okay, not Thayer.

“Well, what do we have here?” The man’s dry, raspy voice was very fitting for his appearance. He seemed to tower over her, though he couldn’t be taller than six foot four. His dark skin blended well with his cloak, leaving only his eyes and smile peeking out at her. His rumbling laugh did nothing to calm her suspicions, this man was no good. Lavine’s blood froze in her veins when the man took a single step closer.

“Why would a lady like you be out all alone in these woods, eh?”
There was no doubt in her mind, she needed to get away. Now. He seemed to sense her tension, for he once again reached for her with a masculine, black gloved hand. “Come now, don’t be scared. Long as you cooperate, no one will get hurt. Now, just hand me your cloak.”
Do something, anything! Her mind screamed. So, Lavine did something; she looked the man right in his bright orange eyes and screamed.
Lavine
Safety is merely an illusion

Words: 48336
Joined roleplay: April 17th, 2013, 10:16 pm
Blog: View Blog (5)
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Artist (1)

Postby Thayer on May 16th, 2013, 9:29 pm

Thayer sprinted in the opposite direction once the girl had agreed to play her childish game of hide and seek. The game would bring much satisfaction to both girls, serving as a good distraction, a desirable laugh that had yet to be long lived and a wondrous memory to relive once again. Thayer was planning on trying to get lost in her inner child’s mind and forget about all the tragedy that had followed her up until now. She was counting on having a joyous time with her long lost friend and lately, it hadn’t been that much fun.

She ran through trees, her position finally becoming masked by the shadows of vegetation. She heard Lavine counting, her usual soft and serene voice crawling up octaves to be able to be heard from across the river, to where Thayer currently found herself. She hadn’t been lost in Zeltiva’s inner woodlands yet, and pleaded to the gods and the monks of direction she wouldn’t ever be. But she couldn’t help but find herself finding a terrifyingly familiar tree with its branches torn off as though its degree had been granted through a lightening storm or war.

Calm down, Thayer, she thought to herself as panic started to swim in her head. Fear caused nausea to drip into her stomach, her head pounding in discomfort and confusion. Instantly her brain started playing tricks on her, having her think of worst case scenarios and over exaggerations along with other terrible thoughts.

What if Lavine had grown tired of playing this silly game and returned back to the tent with Toril? What if she hadn’t of played to begin with and was only counting to ten to mess with her? The latter seemed unrealistic seeming as how the broken friendship between the two Kelvic was slowly being repaired. Thayer also knew Lavine all too well and knew that she was far from even trying to act that cruel. Her final option, as she continued to drown in a trap of panic and fear was one of how Lavine could be lost herself. Surely it doesn’t take that long to count and then find a person, besides, Thayer hadn’t wandered very far to her knowledge. But Lavine had looked tense as she eyed the river with concern having it seem possible that she could have sought for Thayer in the opposing direction, away from the water.

Intelligence finally bussed in Thayer’s mind as an invisible light bulb sparked to life over her head, hair partially dampened with sweat. Use your surroundings to find your way back. And so she did just that. She started by using the land to navigate her current position to back where she had first seen the river. The muddy grass had feint footsteps indented within them, clicking gears in both Thayer’s body and mind. She used her knowledge of past experiences to use these prints, whom she thought belonged to her, to track her way back home. When the trail swept left, however, Thayer did not follow, for the trees looked awfully familiar in that direction. Instead, she turned right, following the scarce sound of heavy wind, to which Thayer determined to be the stream.

As she continued, passing an oak tree she could have sworn she saw as she was travelling with Lavine earlier before, she started seeing sparkles of blue peeking out from behind budding branches. And then she heard a scream. She had never heard such a scream before; the shrill, ear piercing shriek of terror and off-guard confusion had Thayer take off in a bolt. No one else inhabited this area of woodland, so the instant thought of the scream’s creator to be that of Lavine was assumed to be correct.

Thayer completely forgot about her loss of direction and instead let her mind’s senses dull as she sprinted to where she thought the cry had originated from. She scrambled through twigs and hurdled over fallen logs. It felt as though she were climbing a mountain. Suddenly a sharp pain took her ankle within its grasp, but she couldn’t stop, for her friend was endangered and she had put her there.

The first thing she caught sight of was a black figure. Her heart leapt up in her throat as she took in the stranger’s appearance. Nothing was too certain in defining the person as a man, but the distinction of his large muscles and tremendous height was enough proof to assume so. He wore a cloak - so dark of brown that it looked near close to black - that matched his skin tone. He was in the midst of grinning malevolently, his teeth so bright and white in comparison to his dark complexion that it felt like a knife being stabbed into the eye socket .

Most frightening of all was the man’s eyes. They were hardly visible from underneath his cloak’s hood, but the colour was impossible to miss. They appeared to be a mix of orange and yellow with a partial tint of thin-striped red in between the main iris and the pupils of which were dilated as if staring intently at his prey. Thayer’s own gaze followed the man’s line of sight to find that his “prey” was Lavine.

Thayer gasped, he charcoal black hair falling into her crystal blue eyes that were now starting to well up with tears. Why is she just standing there? Why doesn’t she just run? Thayer mentally slapped her forehead as she realised something obvious. More importantly, why don’t I take action to help her?

Thayer’s gaze widened as she knew what she had to do. She began shedding her clothes at a quick pace before she was bare to the wind’s touch. Then she focused, bright white swirls of light cascading themselves in the place of where she crouched, and then disappearing tp reveal a grey lynx of average wild cat size.

The feeling of having claws and to stand on all fours was wonderful, but to have the ability to curl her tail was amazing. She decided to use her new ligaments to protect her friend, and knew that her large canines could help in doing so as well.

Thayer lunged out of the bushes, somersaulting into the clearing before the line of trees she had recently been hiding in. But she still had a large obstacle in her way; the river. She quickly found an opening, her thought process on high performance - a fallen log lying conveniently across the water. Instinct took over from then on out as she dug her claws into the back and balanced herself to crawl across. She landed safely on the other side, and right in front of her friend’s feet.

Thayer saw Lavine’s eyes, opened wide in both fright and pure amazement, but Thayer had other problems to deal with and other issues to tend to. She cautiously hunched her back and bared her fangs, trying to deem herself tough and intimidating.

The man merely laughed, a terrifying gurgled chuckle as if he were choking on blood and raw flesh. His voice was raspy and full of dark humour as he spoke sternly, “Why, is your pet cat going to protect you?” The insult he responded with made Thayer snarl. He wasn’t going to get away with saying something like that unharmed. But Thayer didn’t say anything back, for she couldn’t. He wouldn’t understand animal tongue if he tried. Instead, she just stayed silent and looked up at her temporary master, awaiting her next commands of attack.

Last edited by Thayer on May 22nd, 2013, 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Please Note: School has started up, therefore I will be incredibly busy with classes and homework. To all who I am roleplaying with, please expect a delay in replies!
New Note: I will be away for a couple months, so I will be inactive due to my travels out of country. Thanks to all!
Thayer
Darkness Binds All Fear

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Lavine on May 18th, 2013, 7:05 pm

The snarl seemed to come from nowhere. Lavine had neither heard nor seen the nimble lynx cross the stream. But now that she was here, Lavine's mind seemed able to think once again. Thoughts of fear were pushed to the back. There were more important things to focus on right now. Strategies, tactics, pros and cons flooded Lavine's mind as she tried to calculate a way out. Lavine peeked at her wild savior out of the corner of her eye.

Lavine realized the moment those electric blue eyes turned on her that Thayer was awaiting a command. I]No, no, I need more time![/I] She hadn't picked out how she was going to fight yet, or even if she was. No, what she needed was to stall. She pulled herself up straighter, threw back her head and shoulders, and looked right at the man, braving his strange fiery eyes. Her voice sounded much more confident than she felt.

"Ha! My pet? You say that as if I could control her. No, she has quite the mind of her own." Lavine knew Thayer couldn't do this on her own, but she was afraid that changing to her animal form would consume time she didn't have. Instead, she casually shifted one hand down lower on her side, closer to where she kept her faithful kukri.

All she could hope for was that he would buy her act; all she needed was for him to think she knew what she was doing. "Now, I'm no expert on the language of the lynx but I can't say she looks too happy. It might be smart to take a step back."

The man wasn't falling for her calm and collected façade. He simply chuckled and crossed his arms as though they were playing a child's game.
Fine then, have it your way. Her hand slipped deftly into her cloak and gripped her only weapon. She pulled it out and swished it through the air, creating an intimidating sound, as though the blade were sharp enough to sever the air itself. Her eyes scanned the area for help, but in the thick green coverage it was hard to see anything useful. It looked like she would have to face this without any natural advantages.

Lavine took a step forward, then another, creeping slowly closer.
"I will fight back. I won't let you do anything to me." Her voice quaked a little this time, betraying her true fear. She could feel her heart beat loudly behind her chest and her hands pulsed with pent-up energy. A feeling grew deep in her gut as she realized how much trouble he was really in.

"All talk," He croaked in disdain, "You couldn't hurt a fly with that." As true as it was, Lavine was determined to make it work. She had to show Thayer she wasn't just a soft storyteller, she was a fighter. The girl turned her eyes on the waiting lynx and nodded. It was time for action.

Lavine leapt forward in a sudden movement, hoping to catch the man off guard. She could feel her senses sharpening at the prospect of a battle. She could suddenly hear the water rushing louder than ever, she could see the man's eyes flash with surprise, then rage. A bird squawked and fled, a rock tumbled across the forest floor. It seemed everyone had made way for the monster racing at her.

He thundered across the ground, his heavy form doing nothing to help his grace. He bellowed a feral roar, as though he were no more than a beast. He didn't appear to have a weapon, at least, not that she could see. He held his fists closed and at his sides so they were almost invisible to her. The usually gentle girl's heart thumped and her mind whirled.

Get me out of here! Her thoughts were involuntary, scaring her more than the fight in front of her. Still, she kept silent and stood calmly. I wonder if he can smell fear. The thought was random and out of place, nearly making her laugh. Her mind continued to fill with thoughts insane enough to make her head spin. In a last effort to clear her head, she gazed into the eyes of the man racing at her. It was a sobering sight, enough to put an end to any and all laughter. Her mind went blank in an instant, leaving no room for doubts or hysterics.

After what seemed like a lifetime, he was close enough for her to see the whites of his eyes. She tried to rush around him, to stay teasingly out of reach but she wasn't fast enough. He clipped her shoulder, causing a bolt of pain to streak down her left arm. Already, she could feel the blood swelling under her skin, creating a lovely bruise. Lavine circled to his backside, using the bend of her kukri to slice his upper arm as she went. It wasn't near as bad as she'd meant it to be, but enough to anger the man further. A tiny bead of deep red blood ran down to the crook of his elbow where it pooled with its brothers. Lavine watched as a droplet found its way to the edge, falling off and staining the ground red. It made Lavine wince just to see it but he didn't even seem to notice. He was too focused on his target.

She took a step back to suck in some fresh air, hoping he would leave her be for just a few more breaths. It was clear he would play with her like this all night if she let him. She needed a new plan but until she came up with one, it seemed she would have to distract him. I hope Thayer's got a plan... It was the last thought she could cram in before the man stumbled towards her again.
Lavine

Character sheet
Artist (1)

Postby Thayer on May 19th, 2013, 5:52 pm

Thayer waited, her soul filling with built up anxiety. Had she just allowed Lavine to control whether she would attack or not? Lavine surely wasn’t a fighter, and to no bounds did she not have any experience in the matter. The time to attack was now, as Thayer observed her friend’s offensive threats and comebacks.

Suddenly, Lavine threw out an unexpected tactic: a kukri. Thayer was so caught off guard by her friend’s sudden aggressive actions that she couldn’t comprehend the next movements both people took. The bandit’s eyes grew large with frustration and his nostrils flared as he prepared his charge. However, Lavine acted first, her movements of attack being a simple leap to dismember the opposition of all peace of mind. This merely angered the man, for he began his charge with so much energy that no one could have even considered it irrational or futile.

Lavine let out a squeak of surprise as the dark being barely made contact with her shoulder. It was enough to send Thayer into the mass of the war that was breaking out before her eyes. He had just hurt her friend!

She first went underneath the man’s legs, clawing his bottom leg as an act of distraction, the corner of her eyes seeing the visual of her friend snapping her weapon at the man’s upper arm. Blood trickled from both her and her partner’s creation, sending a sensation of accomplishment throughout her body. The man bared his teeth, his canines softly sharpened as though from personal gratitude. She couldn’t wait to see what he would do next, however, her mind was sent into a whirl wind of adrenaline and power. She was in the mood of a brawl and for good practise, the gods had placed this very soul in her midst to train with. He was a mere battle dummy for her.

Thayer jumped around and snagged her nails on the man’s cloak, ripping it clean off his body, revealing a charcoal outfit and dark arms marred with tattoos and other art. Was this man a Myrian? A Vantha? A basic human perhaps who had grown rough in his lifestyle? Or maybe he was of mixed blood who had both the abilities of both a Myrian and a Symenestra.

Her temporary distracting thoughts were enough to send Thayer’s focus into a dormant state of mind, the man throwing her a kick that connected hard with her abdomen. She spiralled backwards, landing square into a tree behind her. The hit was hard enough to send the air to leave her lungs. She couldn’t breathe for the longest time before she saw the man turn his attention to the other girl, Lavine. However, Thayer wasn’t out of the game quite yet. She shook off the powerful blow, not caring to pay attention to the pain and newly forming bruises that she knew now littered her entire body. She was in the mood for some action and had built up plenty of rage for such a thing. She pushed the pain out of her mind, sending it at bay, for it wasn’t the main problem at the moment.

She ran, with her speed climbing near impossible speeds, before launching her nimble body at the back of the man’s head. The man screamed an eardrum erupting shriek as Thayer dug her claws in one of the man’s eye sockets. She felt the sclera and the whole of the pupil and began playing around inside, searching for the tension of pressure points. The other claw, she felt enter the man’s nose, blood trickling down her paw with the desire to fall onto the foliage that covered the floor. She sunk her fangs in the bandit’s head, feeling warm liquid entre her mouth, enjoying the feel and the taste of victory. However, the male wasn’t out of the game either; he had more tricks up his sleeve as he reached in his cloak to reveal a weapon of his own.

It was all too quick as Thayer tried to figure our all that was happening, her mind a ravage place for rational ideas. Petch, petch, petch. I didn’t plan for this, Thayer continued as she closed her eyes and braced for the impact as the dagger he had stabbed into her own flesh. She couldn’t have stopped the act if she tried; she merely accepted it.

She yelped a wail of severe pain as she fell to the floor, landing near the back of her enemy’s feet. She heard a different scream she thought could have emanated from Lavine, but wasn’t sure; everyone seemed to be yelling in pain or anger now that these events seemed to followed one another.

She felt her heart racing as she experienced a dulling sensation crawl up her neck. The knife had entered her back, yet she knew not where or whether it was such a serious wound or not. The corners of her eyes started to blacken giving her the impression that the wound was bad, but she fought for consciousness. Her friend needed her, so she would help as long as she was breathing. This man wasn’t going to survive this fight if it was his fate. For Thayer, Dira wouldn’t win today and she would swear on her life to continue.

The pain was excruciating, but Thayer continued to fight, her claws digging into the ground for support as she lifted herself up off the ground. Like insects had been thrown onto her body, she felt the pain crawl in and outside of her flesh. She lifted her head, her eyes wide with perseverance, and bared her fangs once more. Anyone watching would have thought it was a miraculous thing of beauty, a lynx continuing to survive a lethal attack. The man must have become bored with Lavine, or perhaps wanted to check to see if his job had been complete with the lynx, for he turned his attention toward her, to see that she was indeed still alive. His eyes dilated as he realised that the assumption was correct.

“You aren’t finished with yet?” He spat, but the hatred that filtered through his words made Thayer grin, a kitty grin, with her whiskers twitching in delight. She loved to see the people she hated become uncomfortable or nervous.

Not on your life, you petching shyke Let Dira take you away.

The man growled as he stalked towards his prey, cracking his knuckles, leaving Lavine behind in the dirt. He had become completely vulnerable as he ignored his other enemy. He must have thought she was of no threat, yet she had slit his arm into two separate pieces of flesh. A stupid move to leave your back completely open for attack, but Thayer played along, knowing what would happen next.

“I’ll end you once and for all you stupid vermin!” The man continued to threaten, but Thayer knew better of his mistake.

She was still, half of her body on the ground, the other hardly standing with the support of her two front legs. To her luck, she found her friend running toward the man, teeth grit in rage, eyes darkened to a tone Thayer hadn’t ever seen her friend’s eyes meet before. For once, she was scared of Lavine. She had no idea how powerful a girl who had told story tales for a living could be. However, as she remember, her friend had been through much tragedy, like herself, and knew that anyone with regrets or obsessions could become dangerous.

All that had happened made Thayer nauseous. Had she really put her long lost friend in such a position? How would either girls sleep tonight? Both have been pushed over the edge of sanity, and both knew that, yet they continued on with life, never giving up. And as Thayer watched the next few chimes unfold, she couldn't help but think of what she would say as her last words to the world. Perhaps, a goodbye? Love is the key to life? Have a happy and safe exit? All were cheesy and quickly thought up, holding no meaning behind the words, she knew.

This was going to end badly, but for whom? None could tell at this point in time, although Thayer had her own predictions, as well did the opposing bandit. But who would be right?

Last edited by Thayer on May 22nd, 2013, 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thayer
Darkness Binds All Fear

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Lavine on May 20th, 2013, 12:02 am

[b]
Lavine took in every single second of the battle, soaking it in to save for later. She took a staggering step back when a furry teammate joined in. Thayer's claw sunk deep into the man's face, marring his bright eyes with scratches and blood. The whole scene was horribly gory, causing Lavine's stomach to turn. She was captured by the terrible beauty of it though, and couldn't have looked away if she wanted to.

She had a front row seat to the show, her eyes fixed unblinkingly on the scene. Thayer dug her claws and teeth into the man's head with such precision she knew this wasn't the lynx's first rodeo. The power-hungry look in Thayer's eyes scared Lavine though. She wasn't the same hurt girl she was moments ago, wanting to play a child's game. This cat was out for blood, and wouldn't stop until she stole the man's last heart beat.

Something told her she should stay back, so she did. Instincts were all you had at times like this and it was wisest to follow them. She began to doubt her instincts however, when the man pulled a lethal looking dagger from his sleeve. Lavine cried out, but it was too late. The dagger plunged into Thayer's spine, buried to the handle in her best friend.

A surge of rage, unlike anything she had felt before, surged through Lavine. Emotion swept over her heart and encompassed it in a feeling that could only be described as black. The blackness seemed too large for her, as though it should be something mortals shouldn't handle, but there it was. There were similar feelings that rushed to the surface of her memory but all paled in comparison. It was like a blazing cold, so sharp it felt like a shard of fire shot through her. She could nearly feel her blood boil and splash beneath her skin, providing her with energy of the likes she had never seen before. It was a mixture of pride, pain, and hatred. She had felt it once before, when her mother had died. She couldn't lose anyone, especially not Thayer. The mere thought made her heart break. No, that wasn't an option. Whatever she had to do, be it losing her own life or taking someone else's, she would never lose anyone again.

So many raw emotions built up inside of her; the pain, the absolute sorrow, and the stubborn need to avenge. There were too many, the emotion was too much. They needed some way to escape. Rather than cry as per usual, she tried a new way of sating this hunger. She gripped her weapon with white knuckles. The black overflowed from her heart and crept into her vision until she could see nothing but the man in front of her. With a last roar, she released her fury and launched her herself straight at the bandit's back.

He didn't have time to turn around before she drove her curved blade into his back. The wound was nearly identical to the one he had given Thayer, save that her shot had not been as practiced. Somehow, that made it all the more satisfying. Poetic justice.

His own hands searched for his dagger, finding it conveniently close. He drew it back and, with a snarl, hammered the blade into her hand. Lavine's cries echoed in the forest. The pain-filled sound bounced off trees and birds repeated the cry throughout, sending a pounding pain all the way back to her head. She could feel the pain amplified a thousand times when she moved, but it was a dull pain- more annoying than anything else. Her mind was focusing on the kukri still sticking from the man's back, that was all she cared about.

She barely recognized her own actions when she reached out to draw the kukri from his skin, only to dig the hungry weapon in again. He wailed this time, much weaker, and dropped to his knees. She rolled off his back and onto the hard earth, where she stood silently for a moment. She didn't bother to yank the sharp blade from his spine- it would only cause unnecessary pain. But did this man deserve mercy? She sought out Thayer with her eyes, taking in her discomfort with a single glance. A new wave of hatred, only slightly calmer than before, took over. No, this man didn't deserve the ground he was laying on.

Without a second thought, Lavine placed a solid hand on the man's side. Putting out her foot to steady them both, she jerked her weapon away. He moaned, and nausea set in near the pit of her stomach. Could she really kill this man? She knew he would be scarred horribly as it was, if not paralyzed. She had no idea what section of his spine had been injured. He might even die if he couldn't make it to town. Her throat closed tight and her stomach flipped upside down, telling her two things. One- she couldn't kill the man, and two- she couldn't leave him like this. Lavine looked helplessly at her friend, who was still trying to heave herself from her position on the forest floor.

The girl, suddenly feeling small and useless, stared at the wound on the back of her hand. She brushed the red liquid away as though it were no more than a nuisance. I can't kill him. I can't leave him alone like this. I can't fix any of us. In a soft whisper that was close to a whine, she spoke her thoughts aloud. "I can't do it."
Last edited by Lavine on May 25th, 2013, 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lavine

Character sheet
Artist (1)

Postby Thayer on May 20th, 2013, 9:24 pm

Her body continued to throb as she continued to watch the events unfold, the tension of her limbs near close to writhing. Lavine was sprinting at the bandit, her face contorted into a hollow mask of pain and sorrow, terror enveloping them both as she realised her own actions. The look continued to present Thayer’s stomach with much discomfort, having it churn in the most threatening way possible. She couldn’t help but up heave the nasty bile that started to form in her throat.

She saw her friend’s aggression through different eyes as Lavine plunged her sword hastily into the man’s back. Thayer’s head spun as she wondered how soft and timid Lavine could have all but damaged the blundering giant. She also couldn’t help but mentally chuckle with the dark humour intended as the golden rule of kindness flashed through her mind. An eye for an eye, or in this case, a knife in the back for a sword to the spine. her rampant moods and wandering thoughts were quickly soothed when aspiring truths soon came into focus. Lavine had just saved my life!

What suddenly followed caused a fire to flow underneath Thayer’s flesh, the nerves erupting ash and pitting up magma. The man had reacted to his most recent injury on instinct, his violence having him reach for his dagger that had been conveniently placed, embedded within Thayer’s fur and skin. He yanked the small knife from near her shoulder blades, having a sickening sucking sound serrate all listening ears. She moaned and hissed in aggravation, her teeth clenched tightly, shutting her eyes at the feeling of the pain progress, but she couldn’t help but open them again to watch her own friend’s suffering as the blade the man had retrieved from Thayer’s body now entered another’s.

Lavine cried in horror as she saw the weapon stab into her hand, however, thankfully the man pulled the knife out fast enough so that the gash created didn’t follow through to the other side. Lavine’s eyes grew into tempered slits, her lip curling up in disgust and distaste, her face flushing as she reached for her kukri of which was still sticking out of the enemy’s back. She quickly dislodged the weapon with nimble fingers only to puncture his body again and again, having the weakening male fall helplessly to the dirt beneath him, his breathing becoming raspy and shallow.

Lavine met Thayer’s eyes as if seeking guidance and answers, but Thayer had none. However, she knew that this beast of a man couldn’t be kept alive, so she opened her mind and held her breath, using her index claws to feel for the temples on either side of his head before digging them into his brain. She knew from her father’s knowledge that putting intense pressure on one temple would cause unconsciousness or possible paralysis as where both temples could cause death. And that is what Thayer had succumbed herself to do; to kill.

Mixed feelings of both guilt and satisfaction, pride and dishonour, victory yet defeat crept into Thayer’s heart. She had just killed someone! She couldn’t believe her eyes as she watched the lifeless body in front of her, her own pain subsiding.

Thayer merely looked past the butchered bandit and up at her best friend, her body scarred with foreign blood and sweat, her eyes filled with tears threatening to fall. Thayer couldn’t bare to look at Lavine that way, for she was a monster having killed. She decided to change into her human form to make the situation appear better, the lights defining the transformation before she felt her fingers and her abnormally positioned ears, her arms different from her legs and her back in a new tremendous pain. Her nude body was covered in blood, having her seem vulnerable and weak as her cold, icy blue eyes searched her friend’s.

“I killed him,” she croaked, the waves of emotion spilling out of her eyes and nose. “I killed someone!”

She suddenly found herself light headed, her body heavy as though carrying large weights, taking in the facts of being a murderer. Whether it was out of self defence or in order to save someone else’s life, she couldn’t accept the fact that she had killed someone. Thayer slumped to the ground, her wound still streaming out red fluid, the flesh torn greatly, creating a gaping slit in her shoulder blades from the dagger. She hadn’t known how she happened to be still alive, but didn’t dwell on the thought too much; she merely thanked the gods for her survival and accepted the fact that she was still awake and breathing.

“Can I go home?” Thayer asked her friend, her words slurring with her mind, her lips straining to form another genuine smile. Lavine crouched down to observe her friend’s wounds, her mouth open in a way to symbolise sympathy and pain.

She knew for certain that this was probably the worst game of hide and seek she had ever played.

Thayer
Darkness Binds All Fear

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Lavine on May 22nd, 2013, 11:28 pm

Lavine sat silently by her friend. Her mind was still reeling from the sight of the bandit, his face pale and his unseeing eyes still staring into her own. A shiver raced up and down her body, leaving a deep hole where only moments ago there was fiery rage.

As much blood was leaking from Lavine’s hand, she wasn’t the worst off. Thayer was now in human form, leaning back and trying to contain her sobs.

“I killed him, I killed someone!”

Her voice shook and her breathing came in short, choppy gasps. Lavine feared a panic attack was near; and rightfully so! Truth be told, Lavine herself was scared, horrified even. But now was not the time to be consumed by fear. Now, more than ever, they had to keep a straight head. Trying to act comfortingly, she extended a hand but Thayer was too deep in shock to notice anything. Rather, she slumped down further on the ground and let out a few slurred words.

“Can I go home?”

I can’t carry her! She couldn’t say this aloud though. Lavine cooed soft words while she assessed the damage. Her back looked terrible, oozing thick, dark blood all down her bare back. Beside the main wound, there were several tiny cuts throughout her body. There was a thin layer of red coating her face- whether it was from Thayer or the bandit she couldn’t tell.

Tenderly, Lavine placed her palm over her patient's swollen ankle. Now where’d that come from? Thayer let out a yelp, causing Lavine to retreat. When she looked up to apologize, she caught the fleeting look of horror twisting her friend’s face. Her expression was contorted, her brow furrowed and her eyes squinting. Even her nose twitched, just like...

“Toril!”

Realizing how delusional she must sound, Lavine babbled an explanation.

“If I go find Toril, he can help. He might be able to find some herbs, or medicine, or at least someone else to help you get home. Oh, Thayer it’s perfect! I must go find him!”

Lavine felt slightly guilty leaving her best friend alone and injured in the woods but without Toril, it was doubtful they would ever get her back to the tent safely. As compensation, she ever so gently relieved the bandit of his dark cloak and, in turn, lay it over Thayer like a blanket.

“I know it’s gross but we need some way to keep you hidden. It’s the best I can think of right now.” Lavine smiled apologetically, “You wait here, alright?”
With a final wave, Lavine plunged into the greenery.

It wasn’t so disorienting this time. She simply plowed her way through whatever bush, stump, or crick sat in her way. In this aggressive manner, she was able to reach the edge of the foliage twice as quickly as the first time.

There it was. Thayer and Toril’s solitary tent, standing out against the great oaks surrounding it, beckoning to her like a flame to a moth in the dark. And then, out stumbled their savior. She couldn’t hold herself back any more than she could have saved that bandit’s life.

“Toril!” Lavine exclaimed for the second time that day.

She crashed into the poor, shocked man, wrapping her arms around him without a moment’s hesitation. Hopefully, he wouldn’t mind a few guts on his clothing. Releasing Toril, she took a hesitant step back.

“We need your help. It’s Thayer. She’s...” Lavine decided to take a different approach. “Do you know anything about medicine or maybe herbalism?”
Lavine

Character sheet
Artist (1)

Postby Thayer on May 23rd, 2013, 8:36 pm

Thayer

Thayer saw Lavine leave, trampling over rotten logs covered in moss and the overgrown vegetation that served as weak barriers positioned in her way. Thayer didn’t know why she was heading in that direction, for her mind had completely gone blank when she was Lavine had been explaining the reason of her doings. Would she be back? Was she to leave Thayer alone in the middle of the woods to die?

She found herself shrouded with a dark cloak, still looking at the now bare, still lifeless body of a threat to her and her friend’s safety not too long ago. Even though the cloak retained body heat well and deflected off most wind, Thayer couldn't help but feel shivers run up and down her spine, the wind somehow making contact with her nude body. The cold spells kissed her wounds and pierced its surface, sinking its invisible teeth into her open flesh. She moaned, thinking to herself drastic thoughts. For once in a short time did Thayer yet again feel alone, but this loneliness was a different feeling that caused the pit of her stomach to churn and tumble. She wished with all her heart that Lavine had stayed with her instead of having run away. She only hoped her friend would return soon.

TORIL

Toril was organising the bedrolls in the tent, straightening the blankets and relieving the fabric of his large winter blanket of any wrinkles. He grabbed Thayer’s backpack and placed it near the mouth of the tent before secretly rummaging through her inventory.
He pulled out another blanket from her pack, a bag of dried fruit and a few other small knick knacks and goodies before he came across something that shocked him. He reached into the sack timidly and cautiously as though he’d get caught at any moment and pulled out a melee weapon, a knife, sharpened to a fine precision.

“What would you be doing with this?” Toril said aloud to himself, his velvety voice fluttering like the wings of a bird in the air. He gently tucked the blade away into the back pocket of his trousers. This could come in handy for chopping away branches for a fire. Besides, Thayer doesn’t need this; she shouldn't have this. He was quickly growing hungry, therefore thought it was best to start a fire. He crouched low to escape the tent’s impossibly low entrance before walking out into the dying sunset’s delicate rays.

The sun was still warm, yet cautiously diminishing below the horizon. It’s safe to say that as well as the light’s touch, Toril was also enveloped in a warm hug of blood,guts and childhood friendship.

“Toril,” Lavine murmured though Toril’s shirt. He could feel her sister’s friend’s heartbeat through his clothing as her ragged breathing and hasty sobs slowed to gentle hums.

Toril was surprised, but mostly frightened as he released his embrace with Lavine only to observe her appearance. Blood smeared her left cheek, her eyes were wide and pained scared for one reason or another to which Toril didn’t know the reason why. her hand was coated in a red fluid and her hand still leaked the substance. Everywhere he looked he saw gory images of brutality and some.

“Lavine?” Toril whispered searching the girl over again, his voice sounding like he’d spoken a question. “What happened to you?” But Lavine wasn’t listening to his next question. She rushed her words, speaking of the need of a herbalist expert.

“I don’t know of any herbalist expert, but I do know a little about relieving pain and disinfecting certain wounds with plants. Why, do you-” Lavine jerked her hand towards his and grabbed Toril’s wrist in a desperate act of direction before ploughing her way through the trees again, with him in tow.

Toril lost his balance but regained ground quickly (for it was severly needed), questiong his guide with an authority-like tone. “Lavine, where are we going? What’s wrong?”

Real TimeI just hit 50k with words, horray!

Thayer
Darkness Binds All Fear

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Lavine on May 25th, 2013, 6:22 pm

Lavine didn't slow her forward momentum, even when Toril began demanding answers. She urged him on while taking a deep breath before she started running through her story. It was just as she'd been rehearsing in her head, although it sounded so different aloud.
"We were playing hide and seek in the woods," Lavine inwardly winced at how childish this made her sound. "And I was seeking. It all went real well at first. She hid and I looked all over for her, just like the good old days. I thought I saw her, so I jumped out and...it wasn't Thayer. It was a bandit! Oh Toril, I was so scared. I didn't know what to do, so I screamed."

"Thayer must've heard me because she came running."
Unable to keep the pride form her voice, Lavine added, "We fought well together let me tell you, but not well enough. I was so afraid, I still am afraid. Thayer's hurt real bad. I need you to help me take her back to the tent so we can patch her up. I can't lose her again Toril!"

Lavine conveniently left out the fact that the bandit was killed by his sister's hand. What he doesn't know can't hurt him.

At this point, Lavine drew Toril into the clearing. Without a word, the girl waved a hand, first at the bandit, then at Thayer. Feeling small and helpless, Lavine knelt by the injured and caressed her cheek with the love of a mother. In her softest voice, she whispered, "Thayer? Toril's here. He's going to help but you've got to cooperate, hear me?"

Lavine turned her head to peer up at the heart-broken man hovering above her. "As a fair warning, this isn't going to be easy. We're probably going to have to carry her."

She cast a glance down at her own scrawny, boney arms. Well petch...

"Well, maybe we could do it here?"
Lavine

Character sheet
Artist (1)

PreviousNext