Questions about conartists

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Bec on June 3rd, 2013, 7:53 pm

Hello! Just had a few quick questions about conartists as a job, any help would be appreciated! :)

1) What sort of skills would be good? I thought persuasion, impersonation (and therefore disguise), maybe seduction and a bit of larceny would be pretty good, but was wondering if I'd missed anything. Also, which skill would count most towards getting a higher paid job?

2) How exactly would conartists get paid? I mean, would they get the money at the end of each season like everyone else, or at each thread? On that note - could they get appropriately-priced items instead of money sometimes, providing they took the amount off their seasonal pay?

3) What happens, in general, if they get caught? - Execution, prison, etc. Is it possible to get caught without the writer's permission (Or at least having the chance to escape somehow)? What happens when a character goes to prison?

Bec
Player

Words: 2245
Joined roleplay: June 3rd, 2013, 4:14 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Gillar on August 4th, 2013, 6:54 am

Thought I would try and answer some of these :)

1) What sort of skills would be good? I thought persuasion, impersonation (and therefore disguise), maybe seduction and a bit of larceny would be pretty good, but was wondering if I'd missed anything. Also, which skill would count most towards getting a higher paid job?

Persuasion and Impersonation are indeed good skills to have as is Disguise. Observation and Rhetoric can be good as can Storytelling. Seduction is good depending on the con and Larceny would work though it that skill would mainly come in handy if you are trying to include a bit of thievery into the mix. As far as getting a higher income, I would say that Persuasion would be primary as you are using verbal and non-verbal talents to persuade someone to believe what you are saying and hopefully cough up some mizas.

2) How exactly would conartists get paid? I mean, would they get the money at the end of each season like everyone else, or at each thread? On that note - could they get appropriately-priced items instead of money sometimes, providing they took the amount off their seasonal pay?

To get paid as a con-artist, approval for the job is the first thing needed. Then you would have to perform at least two threads a season with the assumption that out-of-thread you are doing little odd con jobs on the side. You would get paid seasonally so that at the end of one season, you have mizas going into the next one. If you wanted to con people out of specific items, you would have to do threads for that and get them approved however you could probably get mundane items instead of pay depending on the items. If we are talking items you conned someone out of, they would have to fall in line with items you would normally be able to purchase in a starting package and would have to be appropriate to the region and to your skill level (your not conning an isur smith living in Sylira out of isurian steel for example). Oddball or rare items would need thread-work.

3) What happens, in general, if they get caught? - Execution, prison, etc. Is it possible to get caught without the writer's permission (Or at least having the chance to escape somehow)? What happens when a character goes to prison?

Consequences for getting caught depends greatly on where you are caught and who the target was to be. A Storyteller can always intervene in unmodded threads and have you get caught if you are doing things that are beyond your skill level or are just too impossible to do without getting caught. You should probably talk to the local Storyteller before you thread about involved cons. Also, consult the local Storyteller or check out information threads in the city you are playing in to find out what the laws are regarding getting caught trying to con someone. Escape may be possible depending again on the circumstances and the location.
Gillar
Forging the World

Words: 1345407
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 6:44 pm
Race: Isur
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)