Completed [Unity Circle] Syia Chillwater

Thread Goals // Ki'toka meets a Svefra

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Home of the Konti people, this ivory city is built of native konti stone half in and half out of the sea. Its borders touch the Silverwood, and stretch upwards towards Silver Lake, home of the infamous konti vision water. [Lore]

[Unity Circle] Syia Chillwater

Postby Ki'toka on May 20th, 2013, 6:35 am

14th of Spring, 513 AV

Unity Circle

The day was a sun shiney bright day, a nice break from all the rain they had been getting. But, as was normal with Mura, the weather could change in a matter of chimes. With the afternoon sun glaring off the white buildings on the street, Ki'toka wandered her way down the main street in Mura, her feet leading her toward the Unity Circle. She'd heard word that the Svefra that had arrived in Mura just a few days prior had set up shop in the town square. Having only seen the Svefra a few times before, Ki'toka figured this would be a perfect way to get to know one or two of the sailor folk. Course, if they had anything that caught her eye, perhaps she could trade them for it. Nel'fi had told her that the Svefra liked to barter. 'Wonder if they'd like to have their pictures drawn...'

It took her a couple of chimes to get from Nel'fi's house to the Unity Circle. It was packed with Konti women and Svefra. The noise bouncing off the pale buildings surrounding them made her ears ring. Stepping off to the side as a few women eased their way past her, Ki'toka found an empty little corner in a doorway and just watched. 'I should have come earlier... before the sun came up...' She thought, though at that time she doubted it would be any less empty. From where she stood, she watched the two different races, along with others that were on the island visiting, mingle and trade. It was actually rather interesting. The Svefra spoke in common, which she understood rather well, but when they really started getting into their haggling, it was something else. A language she couldn't recognize. That wasn't surprising though, she only knew Kontinese and Common. She knew that there were other races with other languages in the world, having seen a few of them when they came to visit the island.

She watched the crowd for a good handful of chimes before one booth caught her attention. Draped across the counter and hanging from a strung up line was an assortment of colorful cloth. The booth was somewhat closer toward the middle of the square, but there seemed to be a little empty space in the general area, the other shoppers having their attentions on different wares. Stepping out of her little shelter, Ki'toka weaved her way through the crowd, not really liking it at all but it didn't seem like she was going to have a choice. If she wanted to shop, she'd have to deal.

Upon closer inspection, the cloth was a mixture of skirts, scarfs and bandannas of all different colors, while closer toward the back, laid out flat and precisely was an assortment of jewelry as well. Ki'toka forgot about the crowd as her eyes skimmed over the merchandise that was being offered, her hands reaching out to touch this or that to feel the texture.

"See anything you like, miss?" Ki'toka looked up then around at the voice, it was closer than the rest of the voices from the crowd around her so she'd figured it was directed at her. And it was, standing a little behind and off to the side of her stood a Svefra woman that looked to be in her late twenties. Her bright blue eyes watched her closely, almost as if she were making sure that the Konti wasn't going to run off with any of her goods without paying. Thankfully the woman had spoken in Common instead of the unknown language so that Ki'toka was able to understand her. "These are very pretty. Did you make them yourself?" She asked in return, also speaking in common, as one of her hands lifting up to touch at a blue scarf that had indeed caught her eye.

Syia Chillwater NPC (WIP) :
Syia Chillwater
Syia is one of many Svefra in the Chillwater pod. Having never owned her own personal ship, Syia has always lived with her family on Palivar. She is a free spirited woman, always quick to put a smile on her face. She doesn't let things keep her down, always just seeming to let things wash off her if things go bad. She's the mother of one Svefra boy named Salt who is around 8 years of age. The relationship between the two resembles more of siblings rather than mother and son but the boy knows when he needs to listen and when he can push his limits.

Syia's tavan is a porpoise named Osha. Small for her age and of a dark grey color, Syia rescued her from a hungry shark and the two have been close ever since.

Syia sells colorful clothing accessories that she makes out of material they gather from port to port. She's not the best barter though, often finding something she wants from the customer and often drops the price of her wares down lower than she should. When she doesn't mind her little booth, she has Salt tend it. Several times he's gathered up all her stuff and moved her shop to another location to hide it from his mother while he still 'attempted' to sell her goods.

Syia has a deep love for Laviku, more than what one probably should. She has respect for the other gods and goddesses that the Svefra worship, but her main thought is about the god of the sea. She has secret dreams of him falling in love with her and leaving Avalis to be with her. She keeps that dream a close secret to her heart though for fear of Avalis's anger or others judging her. Some nights, when the rest of her family is fast asleep, she slips into the water completely nude, imagining that Laviku is running his hands over her and prays to the God of the Sea to use her body for any mortal lusts he might have. She's never actually seen Laviku, but she's come to the decision she would leave her family, her friends and even her son Salt if Laviku came for her.

Skill List: Sewing: 37, Swimming: 25

Gnosis: Oceanus - 1 Mark

Last edited by Ki'toka on May 31st, 2013, 10:44 pm, edited 8 times in total.
"Kontinese" ... "Common"
NPC dialog will be BOLD with the matching language color

Always interested in starting new threads, PM if interested.

Alternate Account: Favik A young unbonded Kelvic kitten playing in the streets of Syliras.
Ki'toka
Goddess, lead me down the right path...

Words: 42790
Joined roleplay: April 26th, 2013, 1:27 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ki'toka on May 20th, 2013, 9:33 pm

14th of Spring, 513 AV
Unity Circle

The woman gave Ki'toka a bright smile as she nodded her head. "You betcha I did." Moving around the counter toward the other side, she braced her hands on the booths edge and just looked at her. "See anything that catches ya fancy, little Konti? Its all nice and cheep, or if ya have somethin' shiny for me, perhaps we can trade."

Ki'toka didn't really know what would be considered cheep for the Svefra, so she just nodded her head and continued to browse. "Can I take down which ones I like?" She asked, looking back up to the woman who was now at the other end of the booth straightening some of the cloth there. "Sure, dear, just lay it out in the center there." She said, pointing the space right in front of her. Picking out the blue scarf she'd originally asked about, she also grabbed a white one. They were simple, not overly bright like some of the other scarves, but also had little pendants on them as well which gave them an elegant look and feel. Standing on her tip toes, she peered at the jewelry that was laid out toward the back. She had never bought jewelry before, figuring she'd never wear it but she'd grown fond of how the beads the Svefra wore in their hair looked. Picking out some beads then two different feather styled hair clips, she laid them all out and waited for the woman to come back.

"Well now, what did the little Konti pick out?" The woman said, seeming to talk to herself. "Ah, yes, these will look pretty on you." Her fingers traced over each of the merchandise before she looked up at her. "20 silver for the two scarves, 12 silver for the beautiful hair clips. Total, little Konti, is going to be 32 silver."

Ki'toka stood there looking down at the items. 32 silver was a bit of money for just accessories. She'd bought outfits that were cheaper than this. Pursing her lips as she stood there, the Svefra on the other side of the counter waited patiently.

After a few chimes, the woman spoke up again. "Does the little Konti not have that much miza? Its ok, we can cut back the price for you. You're pretty. 28 silver." Without waiting for Ki'toka to agree to the purchase or not, she started gathering up the items and folded them up neatly, tucking the jewelry between the scarfs so they wouldn't get lost.

"Wait, stop. That's just too much. I don't really wear this kinda stuff so I don't want to spend that much. I'm sorry..." She said as she started to back away from the booth.

The woman looked up, brows raised. "No, little Konti, come back, we'll make a better deal. How about 25 silver? That's better right?" When Ki'toka slowed in her retreat but didn't come back, the woman let out a little sigh. "Ok, 20 silver but you need to trade me something to make up for that lost cost. I'm practically giving these to you." When Ki'toka started back toward the booth she smiled and nodded her head toward the backpack she had draped over her shoulder. "Let's see what you have in there."

Ki'toka tightened her grip on her backpack strap. "All I have in here is my drawing stuff." Feeling like she should show the woman just to prove she wasn't lying, she pulled the back off her shoulder, set it on the booth and pulled out her drawing book. "See." She flicked through a couple of the pages that were empty and a few that had pictures already on them.

"Wait... Go back, what was that one?" The woman asked, her hand coming up to stop Ki'toka from flipping any more pages. "No, not that one, no, no... That one. That's Laviku!" She said, her voice getting a little higher as she got excited and actually snatched the drawing book out of Ki'toka's hands.

"Hey! That's mine!" Ki'toka said, voice a little raised but for how loud the square was right now, it didn't really get noticed. The woman across the booth just waved her hand at her as she held the book up close to her face. "I'm just looking. You are good. A few adjustments and he would be perfect...." She said, the last almost a whisper that Ki'toka could just barely hear. Finally, the woman set the book down on the booth between them, her hand resting on it so that Ki'toka couldn't pick it back up yet. "Ok, new deal. 15 silver and you draw me a picture. I want you to draw a picture with Laviku, me and my tavan. This is my final deal."
"Kontinese" ... "Common"

Alternate Account: Favik A young unbonded Kelvic kitten playing in the streets of Syliras.
Ki'toka

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ki'toka on May 26th, 2013, 12:33 am

14th of Spring, 513 AV
Unity Circle

Ki'toka was still in somewhat of a shocked state at how the woman had snatched the book right from her hands, like it didn't belong for her and she could just take it. After she voiced the new deal, she looked down at the picture. It was indeed a picture of Laviku, one she'd drawn a few days ago. Glancing up at the woman again, she started a little at the fierce look in the Svefra's eyes. She'd not drawn any pictures to trade or sell yet, having figured she wasn't as good as some of the other Konti in Mura that also drew. But for half the price on the things she wanted, why not?

"Laviku, you... and your tavan... Ok, I can do that. Any particular scene you'd like to be in? And what is your tavan?" She asked, feeling a little odd asking. She usually just drew what she wanted, not what someone else wanted.

The woman's fiercely determined face lit up as Ki'toka agreed and she pulled her hand away from the drawing book. "Yep, that's what I want. My tavan's name is Osha. Come, I'll introduce you and we can talk about the picture." She said as she stepped away from the booth, the jewelry and scarves tucked under her arm. Standing on her toes, she searched the crowded square for a moment before calling out to someone. "Oi! Salt!" Her free arm waved around in the air for a little until the young Svefra boy spotted her and ran over. "Watch the booth, and don't go hiding any of it this time either. I mean it." She said, ruffling the now groaning boy's hair. Nodding to Ki'toka, she started off toward the docks.

"Who was that?" Ki'toka asked, following close behind her, drawing book held tightly against her chest. The Svefra woman has used her native language, the language that the other Svefra were speaking in the square and Ki'toka couldn't understand a word of it.

"Salt, oh, that little squirt is my son. Cute ain't he?" Ki'toka looked over her shoulder at the booth before she lost sight of it and saw two other Svefra boys join Salt at the booth. She didn't figure anything would get sold while the woman was away.

It was quieter down by the docks, most of the Svefra were in the square chatting it up with the Konti, and well, that was where the Konti would be, eager to trade with the sea faring people. "So, uh, have you thought of what you want the picture to be?" She asked, her voice clearly unsure of her skills. She wanted to warn the woman that it might not be as good as she expected it to be, but seeing as this was now a business trade, she thought better of it. "I'm Ki'toka, by the way..."

The woman looked over her shoulder and smiled at the Konti. "Ki'toka, pretty just like you. I'm Syia." She didn't answer Ki'toka's question about the picture though as they made their way out onto the docks, walking down one that wasn't currently being used by either a Konti or Svefra vessel. Setting the scarves and jewelry down, she lowered herself into a seated position, leaning back against one of the dock posts. "Ok, so I want Laviku to be holding me. Like arms wrapped around me, maybe his fingers in my hair. Not so much a lovers feel to it, but close. I don't want to step between Laviku and Avalis. No, more like a deeply loving daughter." She said, her hands moving all while she said this as if she couldn't quite find the words to fit what she saw in her mind. Dropping one of her legs down into the water, she swung it back and forth, sloshing the water around. "Can't forget Osha either, I want her to be swimming down around our legs, yeah. Can ya do something like that?"

Still a little shocked that this was happening, the Konti was still just standing there as Syia explained what she wanted and after a few silent moments, Ki'toka shook her head and then nodded. "Yeah, sorry, yeah, I should be able to do that. Though, I don't know what Osha looks like, is she here?" Sitting across the dock from the Svefra, she pulled out her ink and opened her book to an unused page toward the back.

Syia didn't answer her right away and after a moment Osha's head popped up next to the Svefra's legs. Osha turned out to be one of the many porpoises that were now swimming around the harbor. Osha bumped her rounded nose against Syia's leg and tittered up at her in greeting. The porpoise seemed smaller than the others Ki'toka had seen, it was dark grey in color with a white underside. Along its side were scars that Ki'toka could only guess as to what caused them. Giving a nod of her head, she looked down at her book and started drawing.

"What was that language you used to call Salt... I've never heard it before until your pod arrived." Ki'toka was busy drawing the base image for the picture, her eyes occasionally flicking up to look either at Syia or Osha for a reference. "Was that your native language?"

Syia was busy playing with Osha, splashing water at her or rubbing the bottom of her foot along the top of the porpoise's head. Looking up, she hmm'd at first then nodded her head. "Fratava, yeah, we use it a lot when we barter. Its a beautiful language, everyone should learn it."
"Kontinese" ... "Common"

Ki'toka

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ki'toka on May 30th, 2013, 8:00 pm

14th of Spring, 513 AV
Unity Circle

Ki'toka had the basic outline down for Laviku and Syia and was starting on the outline for Osha when she looked up. It was quiet on the dock, it having been a few chimes now since she'd started the picture. Syia was busy playing with Osha, both feet now in the water splashing away with the porpoise. The two seemed really close and it put a smile on Ki'toka's face. "So..." She started, her eyes going back down to her drawing book. "Is Fratava hard to learn?"

Syia gave Osha one more splash before she looked over to the young Konti. "To some it is, others pick it up like it they were born listening to it." Patting her foot against Osha's head one last time, she pulled her feet up out of the water and saw with her legs crossed looking at Ki'toka. "Would you like to learn some. Uh... Lets see, Ki'toka... Would sound like... Ki'toka..." She said, saying the last bit in her native tongue. It sounded somewhat similar, but not at all the same. Ki'toka paused in her drawing again and considered the different sounds. "Ki'toka..." She repeated, though it was rough and didn't flow as smoothly off her lips as it had for Syia.

The Svefra woman laughed and slapped her thigh. "Almost, you can hear the uncertainty in your voice. Try again. Ki'tooooka." She said, sounding out part of the name that Ki'toka had butchered the first time. The Konti pursed her lips a little, she'd thought she'd done pretty good for a first try, but she obliged the woman and tried again. "Ki'tooooka...?" Syia hmmed and hawed a little at it. "Better than the first time. Now, you keep drawing and I'll teach you some Fratava." Ki'toka laughed and nodded her head, returning to her work.

This continued on for nearly two bells, Syia teaching the Konti Fratava words for things that were around them. Scarf, Jewelry, Porpoise, Water, Dock, Book, Sky, Sun, Clouds, Rain... Ki'toka repeated a few of them though she didn't copy the hand gestures that Syia used to accompany most of them. No, her hands were busy with her drawing.

Having finished the drawing, Ki'toka held the book up for Syia to look. "There, what do you think, does it need anything else?" The Svefra woman scooted closer, nose close to the book again as she looked at it. "Oh, the expression on his face is wonderful, you captured just what I wanted... Oh, and Osha, look there you are!" She called out happly as the porpoise tittered from the water. "I like how you put us half way under water... I look sexy while wet." She said, giving the Konti a wink. "Very good, I like it a lot." Ki'toka nodded her head and pulled the book back. "Just a little more then and it will be finished." At the bottom of the page, she'd left an empty space and there she drew in elegantly shaped letters, "I am yours... Always." Then below that in smaller less fancy letters, she signed her name.

After having blown on the ink to dry it, she carefully ripped the page from her book and handed it to Syia. She examined the picture and beamed at the words at the bottom. "Lovely..." She whispered in Fratava.

Hearing some voices getting closer, Ki'toka looked up to see two Svefra women coming back from the Unity Circle, full of laughter as they talked. Spotting Syia, one of them lifted her hands to her mouth and called out. "Hey Syia! Thought you learned not to leave Salt at your booth!" The two started laughing again as Syia looked up, brows scrunched together. "Ah, stormy seas... What has that boy done now?" Picking up the bundled up goods that Ki'toka wanted to purchase, she handed them over to the Konti while Ki'toka handed her the agreed upon miza. "Thanks... Uh, if you know anyone else that wants a picture, send them to me, if ya want." She said, voice still hesatant as she was unsure of her work. Syia counted out the miza and handed 5 of the silver back. "Oh, I'm sure others will see it and you will become a well sought out artist." Giving the Konti a wink, she ran back toward the Unity Circle with her drawing and 10 silver she'd gotten from the Konti.

Ki'toka was left sitting there, drawing book still open in her lap, the scarves and jewelry resting atop that, the five miza the Svefra had given her back and of course, Osha was still tittering at the edge of the dock. Putting her stuff away in her bag, she scooted closer to the edge and reached down and scratched her fingers gently under the porpoise's chin. "She seems like a nice person, and you, you are also very nice. Was a pleasure meeting you Osha." Giving the porpoise a wink, Ki'toka stood, gathered up her things and started back toward Nel'fi's house.

Ledger and Possessions Change :
-10 Silver for 2 scarves (1 blue, 1 white) and 3 hair jewelry (1 Svefra beads, 1 blue feather, 1 white feather)
"Kontinese" ... "Common"

Ki'toka

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Traverse on June 4th, 2013, 9:43 pm

Ki'toka

Skill XP Earned
Bartering 1 XP
Drawing 1 XP
Observation3 XP
Socialization1 XP

Lores Earned
Bartering with Silence
Syia: Svefra Trader
Fratava: Bartering Language
Learning a few words in Fratava

Additional Notes :
A nice little thread, Ki'toka! Syia looks good, I would just ask that you submit her in the Suggestion Box and throw in the info required of NPCs that is stated under the little tab.

The only one thing I would like to point out is that you never actually described Ki'toka drawing. You said she had an outline, paused, continued further with her drawing, and then was done. She is still a novice in drawing, so illustrate mistakes she makes, how difficult it is to draw a moving porpoise, or how she solves issues like drawing a wet body. I mean what did Ki'toka's picture of Laviku look like when finished? I'm sure the visual of him is a little different for everyone.

In the future I will not award point for skills that are not described.

Also with Fratava, it is unlikely there would be a fratavan word for Ki'toka's name unless she was named like Salt, after an object, so keep that in mind!

Yes, I Bite.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade, please send me a PM and we can figure it out. :)
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Words: 1283282
Joined roleplay: December 18th, 2012, 4:16 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)