Shelter Beneath The Waves (Raiha)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Kavala on June 25th, 2010, 9:44 pm

ImageTimestamp: 15th of Summer, 510 AV - Midnight
Purpose: Some Alone Time - Not alone

She swam outwards, confidently, letting the salt water wash her gills as she went deeper past where the surface breakers turned the sea to foam. This was something she'd always missed on the Grass growing up with the Drykas. And it was something she hadn't understood until she'd left home for Mura and saw the Sea for the first time. Konti were coastal creatures, not really fully of the land and not fully of the Sea. In a way, that reflected how Kavala felt everywhere she lived. Drykas but not of them. Konti but not of them. A resident of Riverfall but not one of them. Child of multiple worlds, belonging no where.

The fact that she cared drove her away. Confusion drove her deeper. There were situations she was good at dealing with, and some she was terrible at. And so, sleepless, she found a deep sea cave and curled up within a rock shelf cushioned with sand and tried to get some rest. No one should be able to bother her here and perhaps finally, she'd be able to sleep.

The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Raiha on June 26th, 2010, 3:36 am

Raiha had hit the water earlier in the night. Now that the weather was warmer, getting a little closer to what she had become accustomed to in Mura, and hotter, even, the Akontak was going swimming in the evening when she could. She couldn't always get away during the day, and it was just as well - she found that the sea was busiest then, regardless of the Akalak Infravision, an ability she shared with her father's people. Sometimes she went romping in the river with Asim, sticking close to the enormous bear as he fished. She couldn't fish the way he could, standing near the rapids and waiting for the big fish to come up for him to snatch on the way. Her method involved a rod and reel, and sitting back and thinking about nothing in particular while hiding from a trout that would come up to check on the mayflies. Trout scared easy.

She moved easily in the water, her legs together and moving as one as she deviated between using her hands for additional power and just keeping them at her side. Sometimes Raiha was content to just move with the current of the sea, flowing with the water and letting it guide her. She was doing that tonight, even as she focused on the Djed and brought it to her eyes, highlighting the sea's bed and all that lived down there, bringing the seascape to life in yet another way. Not everything left a heat signature for her to find, and while she could see better than most in the dark, if she couldn't see that, well, that left her with Auristics. She wasn't trying overly hard to see everything down here, not at all - but the auras showed up, and gave her a new picture, and a way to explore. It wasn't foolproof, of course, but nothing ever was. Over there, she felt Kanikra's insistence, and turned her head out of habit. Over there! Isn't that Kavala's aura?

She wouldn't be down here. She was at home when I left there, Raiha told her twin, turning her head a little bit. Almost out of sight... but her twin was right. That was Kavala. Everyone's aura was different, and Raiha had taken to studying the ones belonging to those at Sanctuary - enough, at least, to allow her to recognize them on sight. She turned, angling herself, and letting the current propel her in the direction that Kavala had disappeared in. She found the entrance of the cave, though, and had a look inside. Her white hair contrasted against her blue skin, and it clouded about her head in the water, like white fire, giving her a wild, almost fey look as she hovered in the water near Kavala. "Kavala?" It came out in a cadent slur as Raiha spoke up loudly enough for the Konti to hear her, her speech more drawn-out than it would have been on land, accompanied by a stream of bubbles. "Are you okay? What is wrong?"
The first rule of Akajia is you do not talk about Akajia.
Raiha
Raiha Shadowplayer

Words: 492991
Joined roleplay: February 6th, 2010, 4:07 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kavala on June 27th, 2010, 10:52 pm

ImageKavala looked up from the sandy ledge she was beginning to curl up on in surprise. Recognizing Raiha, she smiled sadly, and then beckoned the Akontak to join her. "I'm sorry... did I disturb your swim? I was just... well... I was just flat out running away for the evening. Sometimes its incredibly hard to just... deal with things sometimes. Akalak things... I really enjoy Riverfall and the people here, but when you get tangled up with these men - its hard." Kavala said softly. She looked up at Raiha, knowing that there were two sides to her too, and then confessed the heart of the problem. "You can't really love one without the other can you? I really care for Hatot. He's all I picture a man being - right? Even if hes not exactly a man yet. But then there's Radris, and hes just as much a person as Hatot is.... he knows everything that goes on between Hatot and I... but I can't touch him. I can't reach him. I don't know how to offer him friendship and comfort and all the things that Hatot needs too. I don't want a relationship with just one of them. I know that sounds strange, but Radris comes off like a monster." Kavala said softly, then went on to describe what happened at the beach.

"I don't understand it... he just grabbed my breast out there in front of everyone. It was humiliating. I felt like an object, Raiha, rather than a person. I wanted to slap him incredibly hard, but its so contrary to my nature. I just... I have to have a child for these men sometime soon and I don't want it to be with someone I don't care for. A stranger. Not when there's someone here I care a whole bunch for." She added, looking frustrated. She wanted to bridge the gap between Radris and herself to ease things for Hatot, but it was hard... incredibly hard because she had no idea how to communicate with him.. what he wanted, what he needed, what his idea of perfect was. "He's... just an ass." Kavala said softly - her voice blurred under the water, though like Raiha, her ears were tuned to filter out the water issues.

"But then I think... what do I have to offer him? Them both? Riverfall is difficult for us. There's virtually nothing, Raiha, that we can offer them. I don't have money, prestige, and I'm not even that great of a healer. I'm not sacred because my skin isn't blue. I'm just a breeder. By Rak'keli its so frustrating." She said softly, looking at her friend. "What about you? When you date, do both date the same man or is it a matter of each having her own separate life? How did your father do it? One wife? Or are there other traditions." Kavala asked quietly, settling back and trying to let the peace of the cave infuse her. She honestly was glad Raiha was here... the Akontak had a unique perspective and an ability to explain things that Kavala might not understand.

Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Raiha on June 28th, 2010, 6:23 am

"You didn't disturb me," Raiha shook her head slightly, swimming over to settle in front of Kavala from where she was curled up the shelf, and lowered herself so that they were on eye level. She smiled a little at her, guessing just from the Konti's expression that the night had not been a good one. "Not at all. I'd just been swimming, and I saw you in the water. I didn't think you would be away from Sanctuary tonight," she lowered her arms to lay them flat on the shelf, resting her chin on her exposed arms. If she'd known Kavala was heading out, Raiha would have stayed - just in case any emergencies popped up. She wasn't the doctor that Kavala was, not at all, but she did try.

Kanikra listened, curious, interested, and for once, not making many snide comments. Raiha's other half could be both snarky and dismissive, and usually she was. But Raiha knew that she was smart, smarter than most would give her credit for, and certainly not one to be taken lightly. He got what he wanted, then, with those actions, Kanikra remarked casually. Raiha had been thinking amongst the same lines. And he won. You can see it, plain as the nose on her face. And if an 'ass' is all she can come up with to describe him...

I know. Raiha sighed, cutting her twin off. I know. She reached out with one hand, then, to clasp Kavala's in hers and hold it tightly, squeezing gently to encourage her to continue and to give her support as the Konti retold the events of the evening. "He accomplished what he wanted to accomplish, then," she told Kavala gently. "Three-fold. He wanted to humiliate you. He wanted to provoke you. And chances are... he wanted to upset Hatot... and it's so easy for them to do it by hurting whatever the other loves. It puts a great big target on you, because you are close with his brother. He wanted to bring you down from being a person, who you are... to reduce you to an object. Objects don't think. Objects don't feel. Objects don't have a will. Objects will do what he wants, when he wants, with no expression of how they feel on the matter because they don't feel. And it's easier not to care about someone and who they are if you don't think of them as a person," the Akontak said slowly, thinking it out as she went. "He was probably hoping you would hit him... to see if there is another side of you like there is to the pair of them that share one body. He may even have thought of that as some sexual advance. For you to assert yourself to him and react back, to show him you're not just a breeder, you're not just a womb and incubator on legs... he may want that. To see that you'll fight back. Sometimes force is the only way some people truly understand."

She paused, then, as she thought about Kavala's questions, quieting down while she did, just squeezing her friend's hand. For a moment, her gaze seemed far away, even though her eyes were pointing at her. For once, it wasn't because she was arguing with her twin, but because she was remembering. "You are a far better healer than you give yourself credit for," she began, firmness in her voice. "Don't ever put yourself down about that. You have an incredible skill at what you do. You have an eye and a touch with animals that I've never seen before in my life. You understand and accept them, and they accept you. Neither of us like to deal with people very much, you or I... but maybe for different reasons. I avoid them because the relationship I have with Kanikra is very unstable from time to time... when she senses a weakness... a chance to hurt others... she jumps at it. I don't know Radris very well... not enough to know just what depth he has to him..." she exhaled. "But Kanikra once challenged a Konti in Mura to bring her magpie to hunt with Uzima... with the ulterior plan to destroy her pet because that Konti dared to address us and run her mouth. She believes that if you're going to destroy someone, you do it so utterly, so completely, that they fear you too much to retaliate."

If the shoe fits. That bitch had it coming, Kanikra scowled, but Raiha could detect a tinge of smugness colouring her tone. I guarantee you she never approached another stranger and spouted off garbage. Or, rather, she probably did because she ran away. Who knows how much of the lesson she absorbed? And now you're going to tell her every little thing again, aren't you? Just remember, Raiha, that for every action, there's a reaction.

"I tend to avoid people, and dating... to limit her chances at getting at others. She's vicious. She's malevolent. She's a person too... and she's her own person. She has her own dreams and goals. And most of them involve hurting whomever she can... especially whomever is close to me. That's part of why Asim and I get along. There's only so much she can do to try to hurt him. Physically... it's almost impossible. She's tried that. It didn't turn out so well." She exhaled, bubbles coming out of her gills at the forceful movement before she drew in another breath. "I might be more in tune with my other half than most Akalak are... we talk all the time... and she's always there... and always has been. She gives advice, she guides, she pushes... but I don't trust her enough to let her take control, to share it. So she takes it when she wants it. No agreement we could ever make would keep her from reneging on it if she felt like it. The first two times she got away from me, she tried to kill someone. Once a complete stranger who got argumentative over a mirror... and once because someone wouldn't go away... someone who I went out with a few times, and was very, very persistent... but didn't listen well. She fractured his skull and put him in a coma." Her voice was quiet, matter of fact, like she had reconciled herself to this. "So I don't date," a smile quirked at the corner of her mouth. "Because I can just imagine cuddling into someone as I fell asleep... and waking up to find myself sticking a knife into their heart."

"As for my father... I didn't grow up with him. He left the day I was born... and never knew he sired an Akontak. All he knew was that he had a daughter, so he assumed, well, that I was a Konti. I never saw him in my life until I came here and found him last season. He and my mother were never married. They met in Mura... and they loved each other for a time. My mother got pregnant... but the more time they spent together... the more they realized how incompatible they were." her hair clouded around her, and she brought up one hand to push it back away from her face as it threatened to cloud and conceal. "They tried to work it out, but he wanted to go back to Riverfall and she was established in Mura, and while there were other points of contention, that was the biggest. So he hung around to see what she had... Akalak or Konti. Neither of them had ever considered the possibility of an Akontak," she chuckled quietly, shaking her head. "But they made a deal, my parents. If it had been a boy, my father would have taken me then and brought me to Riverfall. But I was a girl... and as soon as he heard that, he left. Didn't wait to hear the 'Akontak' part." Raiha had never spoken this much about her past to anyone. She didn't know if she had diarrhea of the mouth, or if she was just trying to put Kavala at ease, to try to help her in whatever small way she could. Kavala cared a great deal for Hatot... so Raiha would do her best to inform and assure her. "She tried to tell him, but never did hear a response, and nobody ever knew about what happened to him after he left Mura. My mother raised me on her own... so I can't talk about traditions, I'm afraid, because I know about as much as you do, likely less."
Raiha
Raiha Shadowplayer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kavala on July 29th, 2010, 6:25 pm

ImageKavala watched Raiha curiously as she approached. She sat up, blinked, and took a deep breath of sea water and let her lungs filter out the air. It was comforting being under water. It was a whole lot like Kavala must picture it being sheltered in a mother’s womb. Sometimes Kavala wanted her mother’s arms. Instead she had to settle for her sister’s sword. And although Akela was amazing and supportive in her own way, it wasn’t simply the same. A sword wasn’t a friend or a warm voice of reason. It was a cold dead thing that Akela clinged to because it would never let her down like people would. Had. Always.

For Kavala, it wasn’t a matter of winning or loosing – at least not like Raiha saw life. She had won by living, by surviving; by making it through every day and thinking that day was a little better than the last. When she lost –truly lost – she’d lay down and die for good and finally give it all up admitting that the day Windsong took his fall was the day she actually lost her life. But the truth would be, and she realized this, that rather than being able to say it was the day she lost her life she’d have to admit it was the day she let her life be stolen from her.

And she refused to do that.

It was just that she cared – probably too much – and was getting overly attached to someone that perhaps didn’t need or want her. And that frustrated her a great deal. Only Kavala would have the luck to manage to end up in a city full of all men and take a tumble for the one person in the crowd that fully intended to never say a civil thing to her his entire life. Ironic. But, Raiha was speaking and Kav turned her attention back on her friend.

Kavala blinked, tilted her head, and looked thoughtful. “But why would he want to humiliate me? I mean, granted, he did. But what purpose would it solve? He knows I can’t win against him. Hatot has more training in one of his little fingers than I have in my whole entire body. And I don’t understand why he’d do that to his brother either. Radris is constantly twisting Hatot in knots and I don’t understand it. “ But then, she quieted and listened to what Raiha was saying… really listened. “So, you think he wants to be challenged? You think he wants to know whats inside me like I want to know what’s inside him? That all this meanness is just some sort of test? Like hes trying to bully me enough to see if I have anything tougher within or if I will break down and flee like I did? I wanted to hit him, Raiha. I really did. But it… its hard being a healer. If you cause harm, and you know this, you feel compelled to fix it. So its almost a wasted gesture… unless… it isn’t.” She said softly, looking stunned.

“If you are right and all this is only a test, then that means Radris is a lot more than he lets on. If its not and hes just an ass… well, then I don’t even want to think about that. I can’t.”
Kavala said softly, shaking her head at her friend.

“Life is so complicated sometimes.”
The Konti said, frustration infusing her voice.

“Thank you, Raiha… but it just seems to meaningless when you can’t survive without help. I can heal a broken leg, but I can’t keep someone from breaking mine in the first place. It doesn’t feel right. It feels out of balance. And I feel like the more I stay around these Akalak, the more I depend on them for support and comfort – for survival – rather than myself. I don’t think that’s the way it should be. It doesn’t feel right at least. It feels dangerously slothful. And yet... there’s all this stuff to do. Building. Training. Working the animals. How are we to balance that life – a life I love – with trying to change something that feels horribly awkward? Every gut instinct I have prevents me from hitting someone – hurting them – and yet… it feels like I’m a coward for feeling that way. I… I guess I’m just really confused. All my life I’ve had Akela and Vanator to protect me. Now, I… know how debilitating that was It was as if in being there and being so protective they completely took away any need for me to learn to fight. It would have been so much easier as a child to learn all this like Akela did with her blade. But now its harder. I have to unlearn a lot just to learn new things. But I can’t blame them, not really… I have only myself and my stupidity and stray Akalaks grabbing my breasts and treating me like meat..”
Kavala said softly, awkwardly, her heart in her eyes mingled with rage. She looked confused, hurt, angry, and disgusted all at once. In fact, it was the most unguarded Raiha had seen her since they’d first met.

She was a mess - an emotional mess. It didn’t sound like the Kavala that Raiha knew. It sounded almost human, slightly whiney, and overly hormonal. It was the first time, in fact, that Raiha had ever seen Kavala run from a fight. And here she was mentally, still running.

When Raiha shared her thoughts about Kanikra, Kavala frowned. “Are you sure the Konti didn’t deserve it? I mean some of us can be really really annoying. I found that in my time on Mura. The ignorance was astonishing. Not all of them, mind you, but the ones that have never traveled much or left their island can drive me quite mad. There’s never a good excuse for killing. But I can see Kanikra’s side in all of this too. Deliberate yes. Undeserving, maybe not. I know you aren’t an Akalak, but I think you have a lot more in common with your father’s blood at times than your mothers. I am starting to think the darkness within isn’t actually dark. I think its just different. Colder. More deadly. More practical. I don’t know for sure, but it feels like it is. Maybe you think she’s evil or cruel, but think about the world we live in. You need her, Raiha… like Hatot needs Radris. The Gods wouldn’t have put you together otherwise." The healer said.

Kavala shifted, restless, and stretched back. She spotted movement out of the corner of her eye, reached out and snagged a straggler in the rocks, a sea urchin. The Konti broke it open neatly. She offered half to Raiha and then deliberately dug into the remaining organs to eat the tender meat inside. More and more Kavala had been switching her diet over to raw seafood. She craved it almost constantly. And rather than nibble jerked meat like most normal people who were too busy to stop and take a meal – Kavala had switched to the rich seaweed that was located right off Sanctuary’s shores. She constantly nibbled it until the denizens had jokingly labeled her more fish that woman.

“I know what you mean about people. I like them but I have no idea what to say to them most of the time. And the more I know of the Drykas, the more I am sure my upbringing was an ill fit for my personality.”
She said quietly, then sat up and reached out to take Raiha’s hands in her own. Her hair swirled around her, buoyed by the water, but she didn’t pay it any mind as Raiha talked about her own situation.

It seemed horrible. The abandonment. The constant vigilance for her darker half. It seemed they were all struggling, and yet it really touched Kavala that Raiha was trying to help her when it seemed no one truly cared enough about Raiha to help Raiha through her issues. Kavala thought a long time before she responded, tilting her head first one way then the next and taking yet a second urchin victim to nibble and share before she finally said what she was thinking.

“It sounds like you don’t give her enough credit though. Sorian’s Navis killed because he was protecting Sorian and thus protecting himself. Imagine what you’d be like in a cage, Raiha? Locked away taking second seat to someone who by virtue of luck perhaps got to be more prominent. It’d make you into something of a monster too. You would find pleasure in some of the most twisted things. Why? Because that’s what you knew. There has to be a way to help Kanikra. Slowly, patiently… because you cannot live your life waiting to wake up some morning with a knife in your partner’s back. You just can’t. I think you should start seriously thinking about it, Raiha. Have you ever just simply… talked to her? Asked her what she thought? I mean surely she knows life isn’t about that. There’s so much more….” She said, and then suddenly blinked.

Tears came unbidden to her eyes. They weren’t appropriate. They weren’t welcome. But the emotional waves Kavala was riding were causing a whole lot of unusual behaviors within her. Crying wasn’t in her nature. Not ever. Not since the first slaver wiped the tears off her face with his tongue and laughed as he forced himself into her body and stole her virtue. They would solve nothing and release nothing. Kavala was harder now… so the tears were a surprise.

“Would you ever… let us talk? Kanrika and I? It sounds like she needs someone who’s not so close to her. A friend. The Gods know I need more too. And I don’t mind the darkness. There is honesty in it. But… I don’t see you … either of you getting help from the men here. Not unless it was one privately with discretion. They’ll tattoo your face for even suggesting your not safe to bed and let fall asleep, Raiha. Promise me you’ll never ever repeat that to another soul unless you trust them completely. Especially someone with blue skin.” Kavala said worriedly.

Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Raiha on July 31st, 2010, 6:01 am

Raiha listened to Kavala - not just with her ears, but with her eyes. This was hardly Kavala. This was Kavala unhinged. It was unnerving until she realized she had seen this before... when other Konti were also reaping the additional...well, benefits, as it were, of sexual relations. Namely, if Raiha was right, Kavala was pregnant. That would explain it. The hormones, the moods, this sheer emotion. Oh, Goddess. You're made nervous by weeping women now? Kanikra was scathing. What's the worst she can do? Go into labour on you down here and then have you held responsible for not saving the infant? Get a grip on yourself!

"This is why he wanted to humiliate you... to provoke a response," Raiha was gentle. "And he did... and got exactly what he wanted... to see how you would react. Though I think he hoped that you would react in a different manner than you did by backing off away from a fight you knew you couldn't win," she chose her words carefully, trying to be tactful. "Like I said, I don't know Radris... and I can only imagine that that was what he wanted... for you to fight back. He wants to see what lurks beneath your lovely scales as surely as you want to find out what's under that blue skin of his. It's never one without the other. It can't be. But just because Hatot is satisfied by what he sees... doesn't necessarily mean that Radris is." But she was familiar with the compulsion that came from Rak'keli's gift. Kanikra hated it, as it affected her, too, and had on more than one occasion threatened Raiha with the thought of their petitioning the Goddess to try to get rid of it. Raiha vehemently disagreed - it was an incredibly useful skill to have, and if she had to, it could augment her medicinal and herbal abilities. Sure, she was no great shakes at any of it, but it didn't prevent her from trying. "But that's not your fault, not with the way all of that loud, screaming sex that Uzima hears at night and gets alarmed about has been paying off. I think you're pregnant, Kavala," she smiled at her friend, and squeezed her hand again.

Tact is just not saying true things. I'll pass. She could practically feel the disdain pouring off her twin. Be blunt. If she is all weepy and moaning from growing a spawn in her belly, then you're being nice and sugary won't get the message through. Speak sense.

Or maybe making them more palatable. She's not herself right now. Cut her a bit of slack, Raiha argued. Why make it worse? She's already distraught. She's had a long night. "There might well be something more to him than just an ass. I can't tell you that. Each pair is different from another... so I don't know. But I think there is. Why reveal all of your secrets right away and leave nothing to surprise anyone with later? Maybe it's a reward for sticking around despite the lousy behaviour on his part... the carrot on a stick." She squeezed Kavala's hand. "In this world we live in, we all need help sometimes to get by, to survive. There's no shame in it." The irony of her saying this wasn't lost on her. "It was considered appropriate for me to learn the rudiments of combat by the Akalak who visited Mura that I met. My mother didn't teach me beyond some basics of the suvai. She refused because she didn't want to risk it... to risk Kanikra being able to use those honed skills to inflict damage on someone. It made sense to her at the time... I don't think she expected I would ever leave Mura. She said I would, but if she believed it before the day I packed my bag and got on that boat, then I'm a male. But I understand what you mean by being crippled by old habits."

She accepted the half of the urchin with a quiet 'thank you', beginning to work the succulent flesh free from its prickly hideaway to nibble on, not at all minding the silence as she got her thoughts together, digesting what Kavala had said. There was some truth to it, without a doubt. She sighed, then, remembering the encounter with Aselia Timandre. "I was just looking at an owl... and she came up and claimed that owls make poor hunting companions and are often eaten by other birds of prey... false on both accounts. Kanikra just let her have it. When she insisted she was a falconer because she had a magpie and she kept it as a pet, and that she could hunt with it." Raiha was very matter of fact about it. "She challenged us to a hunting contest, saying, 'let's go pick from someone else's birds and hunt with them'... which doesn't work because most birds won't hunt with someone that didn't train them, and what falconer would trust two novices with their precious birds? Well... Kanikra called her on it and told her to go get her magpie... and that we would see how well the magpie hunted compared to Uzima. A falconer isn't just a handler... but a trainer, too. To use someone else's birds would be to underscore her own ability... and the lack thereof. And if she had shown up with that bird... and we let them go at the same time as the Konti wanted... Kanikra would have set Uzima on the magpie. Natural predator and prey. So as annoying and ignorant as she was... as condescending as she felt she was, because of her family and her supposedly superior knowledge... Kanikra was going to destroy her pet for the insult. Suppose you were mistaken in your mind about some facts... didn't do any physical harm to them or anything of theirs... only for them to kill Windsong in cold blood to 'teach you the error of your ways'. Did she deserve that? You decide. It's all in the perspective, I think..." She would let Kavala decide for herself whether or not the Konti had deserved the reaction Aselia had gotten.

But Kavala had some very good points, Raiha had to admit. "But why is hurting people the only thing that gives her pleasure? We've had the same upbringing. It's not a burning, blistering rage... it's a very centered, precise malevolence. She doesn't need a reason to hurt someone... just an opportunity. Even a total stranger... for no other reason other than that they were there. They don't have to do something... she just wants to hurt them, in some way, shape, or form. I don't give her that chance... so we go back and forth that way. I take it... because I don't want her to give it to someone else." It felt strange to be talking about Kanikra... perhaps the most taboo topic to discuss... because Kanikra hated ever discussing it in the open, preferring to keep their secrets to themselves. Others didn't have to know. Others had no right to know. Kanikra understood that knowledge was power and power could be used against you just as easily as you used it against someone else. Why give them more weapons?

You're really enjoying spilling your guts on this, aren't you? Kanikra's words were casual. Does it feel good to talk and talk and talk? To get out everything that's bottled up inside? She wants to play, does she? Two can play her game.

"I know what a cage does... and I know what it's like to live in one. I'm already in one, every day. I'm in one now. It's a mutual feeling, her and I. She is caged and I am caged. She is caged because of what she wants to do to others. I'm caged because I won't let her." There was no frustration, no anger there... it was like Raiha had resigned herself to living this way. "We always talk. We never stop. I ask her opinions... she knows mine. She's always there... and when I was young... before I understood... I never knew where I stopped and where she began. I can't shut her away any more than she can shut me away. When she wants to be in control, she always manages to take it." She didn't mention the role Auristics played in it. Kavala, surely, had no problem with it, but being a wizard in Mizahar was never something to talk freely about. "She doesn't do more here because she knows that unlike in Mura... the consequences are more dire. So she waits, and bides her time. And she knows that there's more to life than hurting people. She knows that... but she doesn't care." Raiha turned the urchin half-shells over in her hands before looking back up at the slightly older Konti. "I wouldn't have told you any of this if I didn't trust you. I never planned on telling anyone else... and maybe I should have told you sooner."

"But did it ever occur to you," the Akontak smiled at Kavala, her pupils having shrunk like Uzima's when the bird was annoyed, now mere pinpricks in the gold irises. It wasn't the pleasant smile Raiha wore, but something very different altogether. Either Raiha was an excellent actress, or they had switched - with or without Raiha's consent. "That I want my face tattooed? Or does it just bother you because you don't see my face... but Hatot's?" Kanikra let the shells drop, not looking at them as they settled eventually on the sandy floor of the cave. "Raiha holds you in such high esteem, you know... but now you know too much," the Akontak pushed herself up from the resting position she had adopted while Raiha spoke to the Konti, trying to counsel and console. "What are you going to do to stop me from hurting you... and the child you carry... to keep you from telling anyone what you've heard down here? Your beloved isn't here to save your hide now... they might never find your corpse down here."

Stop it! Raiha didn't like where this was going. Not one bit.

For every action there's a reaction.

Just stop it! She struggled. It was pointless. She was tired. So tired. It didn't stop her from trying... but it impaired any ability she had to wrest control again.

This is all your fault, you know. If you hadn't opened your mouth, we wouldn't be in this position.

I won't tell her anything else--

--It's too late for little promises. Far too late. You made your decision to open your mouth. You will reap what you sow. How many times do you have to be taught this lesson? At least once more. Pay attention. One day it might sink in. And just remember, Raiha... this is all your fault...
Raiha
Raiha Shadowplayer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kavala on August 4th, 2010, 9:39 pm

ImageRaiha had so many special gifts. Kavala knew it the first time she'd met the Akontak. The lore she'd read on them in the past had said that they were closer to the Gods than any other race around namely because they came from two purebred stocks that when combined put them somewhere in the neighborhood of just short of Alvina status. Kavala respected that about Raiha and always gave her higher ground because she knew with such power came heavier burdens. And coupled with the fact that she had two souls instead of one, Kavala knew it couldn't be easy.

She pretty well hit the nail on the head about Radris and what he wanted. Raihas assessment of the situation just felt right. It felt true. And Kavala nodded slightly, understanding at last what Radris was probably feeling. "I had no idea. I... I guess I didn't think much about what he would actually want or if it was any of his business. But it is, isn't it? There's no relationship with one without the other, is there? And if I can't stand up to scrutiny of Hatot's darker soul, there will never be peace with Hatot anyhow. I feel so... ignorant of the Akalak sometimes, Raiha. They are not like any people I've ever known. " Kavala said thoughtfully, understanding finally that she wasn't being tormented so much as being tested, pushed, provoked. It made her angry in a way, and that rage flooded her suddenly, startling her. Kavala prided herself on being emotionless in situations where she had no control. Her emotionless state protected her neatly. But lately she hadn't been able to tap the mask that often shut her down. It was as if her internal balance was all off and she didn't understand why...

And then Raiha spoke again. It took a moment for her words to sink in. Kavala's eyes widened and she at first was shocked that Raiha even brought up that Hatot and her sometimes got noisy at night. On the Sea of Grass all the families lived together. It was part of nature that couples took pleasure in each other. There were often others in the room when it happened as well since a great deal of privacy was lost within pavilions. Her father used to carry on with multiple wives and it was considered bad form to mention it if anyone was disturbed by the nocturnal activities. Even behind privacy screens people knew what was going on. If it didn't happen, no children would ever get born and the clans would not grow. It never seemed to bother the kelvics or even her sister who was far more practiced at pleasure than Kavala. Surely if Raiha ever mated up, Kavala wouldn't have any problems with her nocturnal activities nor be bothered by...

Pregnant? It just sank in what Raiha was telling her. It wasn't that she was complaining about Hatot and Kavala being noisy. It was that she was trying to say that their healthy relationship was bearing fruit. Kavala instantly widened her eyes in shock, then slipped her hands down her form to cup at her stomach. Pregnant? The Konti's mind whirled in thought. She opened her mouth, closed it, and looked directly at Raiha. She started shaking then in reaction, suddenly, acutely... uncertain.

Her gut told her Raiha was right. There were clues along the way. Her diet had changed, her emotions were out of control, and she was incredibly restless. They were all early signs of a Konti gestating. The healer in her looked at it medically while the woman in her looked at it socially.

"I was with the slavers for what seemed a long time. Not years but long enough to cycle through at least one fertility period. I never got pregnant, Raiha. And I should have. They used me a lot, multiple times a day, though the beatings might have accounted for why it didn't happen. I've always been... afraid I couldn't. When the Akalak healers examined me to clear me for Nakivak status, they said there was damage but they repaired it. They never promised fertility but said it was likely possible with the repairs. I've been here three seasons and I've always had this secret fear that I couldn't... well that I wouldn't be able too... and the Akalak would take what I've built away."
She confessed, seemingly off on a tangent from what Raiha was saying. It was so strange to her that her value lay in only what her womb could produce.

But she'd lived with that fear that she'd be tapped by one of the men, her status invoked, and then she'd have to go through the motions with someone she didn't care about in order to carry a stranger's child. And what if she had and then nothing came of it? It was a nightmare she'd had before. A nameless faceless Akalak using her body then demanding in frustration to know why she wasn't swelling with his child. It resulted in more time with the faceless monster and more shame and more frustration until there was nothing left of her and the words 'useless' echoing in her mind. The nightmare had always ended the same - homeless and branded of no value - her bracelet removed, and her body deemed inferior.

What if it was a girl though? Would that ruin everything? It had to be a boy... an Akalak. It had to be. Kavala's fears suddenly transferred whole heartedly into the species and health of the baby rather than the nightmare of being used and used and used and never producing. Had she been thinking clearly she would have not been so prone to the swing of emotions, but that was part of her problem completely in that moment. She was restless, moody, and worried. Very worried.

Kavala's hand snaked out and took Raihas in that instant. She pressed her friend's hand to her abdomen and looked into her eyes. "I know your an Akontak, Raiha. I know you have powers that your kind never speak of. You know things before others do. A lot of things. I've seen it, even with this situation you knew. What am I having? Tell me its a boy... tell me its not a Konti. Please.. can you tell?" Kavala asked, knowing she sounded crazy, that she needed sleep, and that being upset and just simply switching from one mood to another wasn't doing her much good.

She gave Raiha a chance to speak then settled again.

The Akontak had more to say then, about herself, and it gave Kavala in that transitory moment a chance to calm down and really see her friend in a whole new light. Raiha had problems and experiences that were utterly unique unto herself. She didn't have the support structure that the Akalaks had set up to help their boys grow into manhood and deal with their dual natures. Leaving her on Konti island, on her father's part, had been very damaging to a young person that really needed the support that only the Akalak could give her. Konti were great parents, but there were only so many things they could understand and only so much that was inside their scope of experience. Akontaks were not. Kavala shook her head sadly and met Raiha straight in the eyes. "It seems to me it was a crime to leave you on Mura. I love my people, but the Konti aren't equipped nor are they trained in dealing with an Akontak child like you were. Mura was absolutely the worst possible place for you to grow up. I can only imagine that Kanikra needed discipline and boundaries and that you both needed help to balance each other out... help a Konti wouldn't know where to begin to give." Kavala said, a slight tint of anger to her voice now. Kavala didn't want to be critical, but the two girls' father should have known and taken things into his own hands and raised his own daughter - especially an Akontak.

Then Raiha went on to describe her dilemma, the cage she lived in, and how truly torn she was. Kani had no boundaries and nothing to really live for. Raiha might not see it, but Kavala could see it plain as day. Raiha was slightly stronger, more fiercely in control and she was the lighter half. She got to make all the decisions. She decided where the pair went, when, and what they wore what they did what they said. The Akontak claimed she talked constantly with Kani but even Kavala, who was no empath to sentient creatures, could tell that Kani's life wasn't anything but shit. She took second string to everything and was locked up in Raiha's head most of the time. It wasn't fair. And while Raiha described the signs of this unwitting abuse - the need to hurt, the willingness to kill the magpie, and the countless other things - Kavala frantically thought of what she cold do to help. Kani needed boundaries and a reason to be something other than she was. Until anything in her life changed, there was no recourse at all. None.

In a way, Kavala didn't blame her for all that she was.

Nor was she too surprised when Kani spoke to her, threatened her, and totally insighted her rage. "Kani, I'm sorry you grew up on Mura, which in my opinion is the absolute worst place for an Akontak to be raised. You should have been here, under your father's watchful eye where both you and Raiha could have had the training that prevented the abuse that unwittingly happened to you from happening." Kavala said, unphased by Kanikra's threat. "And I will do all I can to see that mistake is remedied because you are still young and its not too late to find a balance between Raiha and yourself. You both can have a good life, without all this violence and pain, and without her being terrified of what your going to do and you being so openly pissed off and bullish of her so much." Kavala said softly.

"But I will tell you one thing. I don't mind if you want to make threats against me. But you will not threaten Hatot and Radris' child, Kanrika. Nor will you keep traumatizing Raiha. And he may not be here to defend me, but because he cares enough about me to make sure I'm as safe as I can be, so he didn't leave me without options. And I'll tell you exactly what I'm going to do. I'm going to introduce you to a friend of mine that can help. Want to meet her?" Kavala said in a strangely detached voice. She hadn't shifted positions or made any moves to indicate what she was going to do. But suddenly her fist was there, where it hadn't been before, and it was slamming straight towards Raiha's nose. It was a move she'd practiced before with Hatot in his classes. The nasal bone was surrounded by a huge pressure point - one that if struck rapidly - often gave someone being attacked enough time to get away while the person with the broken bone simply often sat stunned. "I call her Fist. She's a good friend." Kavala said, rather than gritting her teeth she instead relaxed into the fight accepting that it was coming, minding her breathing, and trying to figure out how to keep Kani away from her and more importantly Hatot's child.

Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Raiha on August 10th, 2010, 2:18 am

The information about the slavers was more than Raiha had expected, though it explained plenty. The Akontak had told herself, and her curious twin soul, that she would definitely never ask the Konti about her history, where the scars came from, and how she came to be here in Riverfall with the bracelet that she wore. That was none of their business, as much as Kanikra may have wanted to know. But it made sense and helped things fall into place. "You will have what you will have," Raiha told Kavala as she held her hand, placing her free hand over the back of Kavala's, her blue fingertips lightly touching the scales. "The important thing is that this is a baby you chose to make, Kavala, with someone you care about. You chose to... with no slavers or men forcing you, some stranger picking you without a mutual decision. I will hope for you that what you bear is a son, an Akalak son... but you see, Kavala, to announce things, to make proclamations like that... is to invite the gods to laugh at both of us, and make a choice contrariwise. I have heard of Konti being able to tell what sex a baby still in the womb will be... but that gift is not mine."

Kanikra listened to Kavala, almost curious, inwardly amused at how the moodswings had gripped the Konti. Earlier, she had been a mess. Now, now she seemed to have her head on straight, as if Raiha had managed to have some calming effect on her. That was better. Kanikra hated the wailing, the weeping, the simpering females that reminded her of the White Isle where she had been born and raised. They annoyed her. They disgusted her. And she just wanted to break their necks rather than listen to it. At least Kavala had stopped it. Pregnant or not, it was so very, very irritating to listen to and to deal with. Kanikra had more than her share of patience, but some things rankled the nerves, and that was one of them. Most things that brought back memories of Mura did. There's a lesson there, Raiha. If you don't indulge their whining, they'll stop and regain their senses. You're not doing them any favours, giving them a shoulder to cry on. You're just allowing them to get weaker and weaker if you let them cry.

People don't work that way, Raiha insisted. Just because you don't feel, that doesn't mean that others don't. She's pregnant. You know she's unflappable otherwise... she was cut off as Kavala's fist came at them, though it wasn't so much as cut off as trailed off, stunned. The sound of laughter echoed through her head. Kavala probably didn't even think about it at the time, but what Raiha had said earlier, about Radris wanting to see she could fight, would fight, to stand up for herself also held true for Kanikra. Strength and power, she understood... because that was how the world worked. Kavala had been right about that. And while Raiha was somewhat relieved that her friend hadn't rolled over for the Akontak, she was terrified of just what Kanikra would do now that Kavala had accepted the challenge.

"Fist... very nice to make your acquaintance..." she pushed herself off of the coral shelf, just out of reach, reaching for Kavala's hand to try to grab it, looking to catch her fingers. She knew she had to be very, very careful here. Akontak though she was, Kavala was carrying an Akalak's child. While it wasn't guaranteed whether it would be a little blue spawn or a pale white bratling, if she caused a miscarriage now that Kavala knew about her own pregnancy and spoke of it, the situation would not be something that would be particularly pleasing for her. There were two options, as she saw them - either not to hurt her or kill her. It was going to be one or the other - Kanikra didn't like loose ends. Loose ends left her with bags of shyke to hold, and she liked a job done thoroughly... to make sure that business was taken care of.

"What makes you think I want balance?" the Akontak's face twisted into an almost viperish grin. There was icy cruelty there - there was no passion, no fervor... but there was conviction. Kanikra meant every word she said. "Balance doesn't benefit me. It benefits Raiha. Why would I want to slog through the muck that is day to day living when I can let her deal with the shyke and wear the flesh-suit whenever I want to? Do you know what it's like to have others fearing you? It's a beautiful feeling... it warms you from the inside out. I can keep Raiha in fear as much as I want... and there is nothing you can do about that, Kavala. You only know about me what Raiha has told you about me. Do you know what she's saying to me right now? She's begging me... begging me... not to hurt you. And the truly funny thing is... that no matter how hard she struggles... she can't stop me." She tried to grab the Konti, then, her long arms snaking out in the water, reaching for Kavala.

"Those animals aside..." It was clear Kanikra included the Kelvics, Asim and Laeraix, in that category along with Uzima, Diallo, and Yakini. She had never considered Kelvics people in their own right. In their core, they were animals... and Kanikra would treat them as such. "You're the closest thing she's made as a friend all her life. But you see... the mistake so easily made... is assuming she keeps me in. Why is it never the one who seems predominate is only so because the other lets them? Did that ever occur to you? Why do you think she isolates herself, even in a city filled with Akalak who likely all had the same problem at some point of their life? Why do you think she lives in fear, always wondering when I'm going to make her lose everything she lives for... to make her hit the rock bottom. Did you hit that point, Kavala, when they were using you, maybe three at a time, day and night? Do you know what it's like to be stripped away of everything to be nothing but bone?" Kanikra's eyes were cold chips of gold as she let the questions fly. Whether she was interested in the answers... or if she was just saying those things to hurt her... not even Raiha knew.
Raiha
Raiha Shadowplayer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kavala on August 10th, 2010, 4:00 pm

ImageKavala pulled the blow at the last minute as the other girl backed up then tried to reach for her fist. It gave Kani time to speak after the punch was thrown for otherwise she would have had no time to get the words in. Kavala was fast. Hatot had seen to it that she was. To be otherwise or to be less committed to a fight than what Kanikra displayed was to loose.

It also showed that Kanikra was something less than she pretended to be. A coward and a bully - Kavala decided. Because otherwise she'd have welcomed the brawl and jumped into it full force. If she truly didn't care about Kavala or had such ultimate control over Raiha then the other girl would be pummeling her right about then, rather than pulling back to 'talk' more which was a stalling technique if Kavala had ever seen one.

"So lets see... you can pick on Konti that are probably peaceful wallflowers and try to kill their birds just to make them cry - but the ones that can actually defend themselves you pull away from? Try to grab their fists rather than take a blow like a warrior and be busy giving your own in return? That doesn't impress me much, Kanikra. I know Raiha a little better than that, and at least she'd step forward into a fight rather than run from one. Especially if its one she started. What did you expect? That I would cringe and flee? That you'd make me cry when you threatened my child? Well, the world isn't full of cowards like you Kanikra. A lazy one too, if your words are to be believed. Leaving all the hard stuff for Raiha to deal with while you sit back and cast judgment and feel superior? No wonder you don't ever own her completely and take over. I bet you long for a tattooed face as well. But you know what? It won't ever happen for you. Never. Because your too lazy and stupid to make it so. Raiha is worried because shes a good person. She's worried because shes smart and obviously knows how to use the device perched on your shoulders. You... I feel a little badly for though."
Kavala said softly, firmly.

Then she laughed - outright laughed. "There's no rock bottom for me. I'm not built that way, Kanikra. Though, I can see where you might have imagined it so because of your lack of intelligence. Raiha already has me figured out. She took one look and knew. That's more than you can say. At least she doesn't run her mouth and expose her ignorance. She holds what she knows inside and bides her time watchful. When they were using me night and day, yes, sometimes three at a time, you don't hit rock bottom. Ever. You adapt. You start to like it. Your mind twists the pain into pleasure and you start to crave it. You start to need it. A knife doesn't scare me. I look at them and know how it will feel to slide into my skin parting it. Sweet pain... beautiful pain. Sometimes I want to beg for it. And being a healer, if they left me conscious, I could always fix the damage so they could return and do it all over again. I was never stripped of everything because I am not weak like you. I was never nothing but bone because my spirit is so much bigger. I am who I firmly am and nothing or no one will ever change that or break me. Not you, Kanikra, not the City Council, not Radris... not even if they use me and force me to retain my current status for the rest of my life and never free me - even after this child is born. I'll adapt and deal with it. I've found, anyway, that I like this life here we've made for ourselves. I fully accept them, both the light and the dark, but I do not accept you. You aren't even 'dark' your just ridiculous." Kavala said firmly, meaning every word of it.

Her own smile was etched with pity and her entire body was primed for a fight. Kanikra didn't deserve to share the air she breathed with Raiha, stealing the precious resource from her light sister. She couldn't even manage to accept her sister's kelvics as people, let alone Raiha's other relationships. "I can see too why Raiha doesn't make friends easily. She must be so embarrassed... so ashamed of you. No wonder your so angry. Its probably not your fault though. Some people are born 'special' with 'special needs' and an inability to use their minds or even common sense. Sometimes they are damaged physically, though clearly that is not your problem or Raiha would suffer as well. Since she does not, I can only see it as your personal problem... a broken ability to reason. An imperfect emotional maturity. Before you spend so much time casting judgment on others, Kani... you might want to start working on yourself." Kavala said with a sneer. People always assumed she was a gentle person, a typical Konti, but after Kavala's abuse and her slavery, she had a hard edge about her, and the ability to verbally fight that she almost enjoyed. She'd gladly take the fight to the physical as well. She'd been willing from the beginning, and she was still willing now.

Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Raiha on August 22nd, 2010, 4:39 am

When Kavala pulled her attack, Kanikra stopped attempting to grab her, instead allowing herself to float with the current of the water, drifting. “As much as I would love to strike you; it would be imprudent if my sister’s right and you’re pregnant… a Nakivak carrying an Akalak’s child. You may think me stupid… but I’d be stupider still to fall for that little trick,” she arched her eyebrows, as if to say she was unimpressed. “Akontak or not, I’m sure the Council wouldn’t be particularly pleased with me, and their interest interferes with my plans. Some people live for the here and now… like Raiha, because she doesn’t know how long she has… but my plans begin years from here. I am patient. Call it lazy if you want… it suits me that you do… but I call it practical. The work she does requires a particular manner with animals beyond Uzima that I do not care to bother emulating, since they always know… It is merely far more practical to let her handle that. Had the circumstances been different, and she found employment elsewhere, then I might well have taken the opportunity. As it happens? This works for now. Privacy. A place to stay. Work and a means of supporting herself that she can handle.”

Nothing changed on Raiha’s—Kanikra’s—face as Kavala laughed and let her have it. It was, perhaps, the first time anyone had ever dared to speak to Kanikra like that in their life. In a lot of ways, it was the first time anyone had actually spoken back to her. Aselia Timandre certainly hadn’t. She didn’t consider her encounter with Asim as someone speaking to her. Asim was a Kelvic, an animal, and ‘someone’ implied a person. That much was cut and dried. “There are worse things than physical torture and developing a love for pain. When pain doesn’t have a physical source, something to embrace and accept, when it’s all up in your head… By the right hand, spirits can be crushed… no matter how strong they are. There is a point where you see what you’re made of… whether you can climb out of that pit you’re in or you cannot. You came out of that pit, the stronger for it… because I doubt if it hadn’t been for that encounter and the subsequent rebuilding of your self-esteem, you wouldn’t be talking to me right now. I want to see if my soft, simple twin could come back from the point of no return. I want to see if when she is stripped of everything she loves and cares about… denied it all… when she herself has shattered every relationship she has and given everything up… if she could come back from it. Would you like to make a wager on that little experiment? Because I don’t think she can… but I want to see if it’s in her to do so. If it is possible… then the more power to her. She’ll have more strength then she started with. You have to lose everything to know what you had and how much value it had to you. If that strength isn’t there… then she can recede, and having lost, be lost.” There was no heat to her words, nothing beyond coldness. But Kavala could tell Kanikra meant every word she said. She really did believe it… and she was intent on following through.

Why would you even want to try that? Raiha interrupted Kanikra’s musings, shocked, and feeling the beginning of anger burning.

Like Kavala said… unlike yourself, I am a product of necessity. Even if you hide yourself from the harshness of reality in your dreams and with your animals, that doesn’t mean that Mizahar will leave you there. I want to see if you can be strengthened or salvaged, somehow, because you’re otherwise weaker than this Konti arguing in front of me. There was traces of amusement, if one could even call it that, in Kanikra's retort.

Petch yourself, there was uncharacteristic anger and language coming from her lighter twin. Did you hear what Kavala said earlier, since you’re spouting her words now? The gods put us together for a reason! And that reason wasn’t to give you a lifetime’s worth of mindgames to play.

Temper, temper… you know better than to use language like that, now, don’t you? Isn’t that what mother dearest taught us? Kanikra teased. There was a particular distance in the Akontak’s gold eyes that Kavala had come to recognize as an unusually consuming internal discussion, but it was gone almost as soon as it appeared. Keep talking back to me. It might do you some good. She brought her attention back to Kavala. If she well and truly believed in what she was saying, there was no doubt that Kanikra was ‘broken’, somehow – it wasn’t in the common sense, nor in her own levels of intellect, but where Raiha was quiet and empathic and understood people, Kanikra didn’t seem to give one whit about how anyone else other than herself functioned. It was like she understood it, experiencing it second hand through Raiha, maybe?, but distanced herself from it, willingly or unwillingly. Raiha had said her twin didn’t care about those things, about love and friends and family. Maybe she simply wasn’t capable of caring about those things… not if her idea of ‘helping’ the soul whose body she shared was pushing her over the edge to insanity to see what happened.

“I’m not an angry girl,” she emphasized it. “But it seems like I’ve got you, and everyone else, fooled… because whenever I try to tell them something that’s difficult for them to hear, they chalk it up to ‘my anger’, but never to their own fear.” She stretched in the water, arching and relaxing her body before settling back in, as much as one could in the water, anyway. “Does that bother you? That Raiha isn’t as strong as one might have hoped she was? That the treasured Akontak lost this fight between her and I a long time ago, even if she didn’t realize it until now? I’m not deficient in my mind, whatever you may think of me. But get off your high horse about my judging anyone, Kavala. This is the first time you’ve met me, and all you know about me is what Raiha has told you, and what little I have told you. Do you think you’ve even scratched the surface? And yet… you try to tell me what I can and cannot do with my life. Do you know how long Raiha and I have been together? Of course you don’t. Do you think knowing her for not even a season trumps her and my spending a lifetime together?” She laughed, shaking her head.

“I know what my choices are. If I hit you down here, I’d have to kill you, and sooner or later, they would find out. While that would like as not get me my tattoos… it might also end in a different way, and one that doesn’t play into my hands. I am not of the Council. I do not know the way they think. But I don’t like leaving loose ends. As I said… that particular sort of interest isn’t central to my plans right now, and it doesn’t suit me to kill what could be an Akalak in that stomach of yours. If you birth a Konti daughter,” there was distaste in her voice at the very mention of Kavala’s race. Kanikra’s dislike, or disgust, of the white women, and probably everything of Mura, was almost palpable. “Then I’m sure I’ll regret the missed opportunity for years to come, but even the Cerulean know that the repopulation of the Akalak race takes a higher… shall we say, precedence… over what we, ourselves, may want.”
Raiha
Raiha Shadowplayer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Trailblazer (1)

Next