Closed Ghosts and Glyphs[Elaine Spade]

Clyde does some Glyphing, with his ghostly assistant

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

Ghosts and Glyphs[Elaine Spade]

Postby Clyde Sullins on June 22nd, 2013, 10:52 pm

11 Summer 513

Clyde had asked for Elaine to meet him outside of Ravok today. He had just gotten off of the boat to shore, and was waiting for her there, on Ravok's lake shore.

However, once she arrived, he would motion for her to follow, and speak to her.

"Come. I was hoping you could help me out with some Glyphing I was wanting to do. Perhaps I can also explain a bit about it to you. Lets move farther away from shore, more into the tree line. I have a few ideas to work out."

Once this occured, he would lead her further away, taking a good 10 or 15 chimes to get farther away. That would be far enough for the first test, but for the later one...

Clyde had equipped himself for today, he had his pack on his back, full of writing tools and parchment, for Glyphing and making scrolls. He also had a light hammer tucked into his pack, and his wooden staff in hand.

"Perhaps I could explain a concept or two, about magic, as we walk, something which has been puzzling you. Or do you actually know much about magic, beyond the wild rumors most people know? Perhaps the basics of how it works, would be a good place to start?"
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Elaine Spade on June 24th, 2013, 7:14 am

Another day outside of Ravok for Elaine. She spend much time out of the city often these days but it was like fresh air for her and she was happy when she heard about Clyde. She arrived and he was there. And as she arrived he already moved forward to the forest. Glyphing, must be those circles and others which she saw at the books in the University."I was really happy when you asked me for help... I can't really tolerate this city now."

She whispered it like it was matter for this task anyway. But really she was happy she could be futher from this place and with a friend. Also while they were walking she noticed Clyde was bringing his pack and it was full. And a hammer and of course the wand in his hand. While she was staring at it Clyde asked him. Magic. She didn't know much she may have just read about it one or two and yes heard a little from the students. "I read a little at the University's library and of course I could hear there some. All I remember that there is somekind of Djed . Oh and there are divine, personal and world magic but that's all I know. "

Her knowledge about magic was messy. She actually heard a lot and read a lot but for the time she forgot it now. And then that djed storm last year when she couldn't really control her soulmist. She didn't know about that djed storm and she was confused because she didn't know the reason who or what disturbed her soulmist. It also caused that she forgot some of her memory in her messy mind.
Elaine Spade
Player

Words: 166350
Joined roleplay: October 30th, 2012, 5:29 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet

Postby Clyde Sullins on June 24th, 2013, 10:17 pm

Clyde nodded, more or less hearing what he had expected. Most people had a partial or fanciful view of magic, told by rumor and people with no actual knowledge of magic or its inner workings.

Sometimes this served a mage, letting people fear them and their power, which was in actuality very finite and concisely bound. He had used this lack of knowledge on several occasions to win the upper hand, or to scare people off. Often the very fact that he could do something, saved him from having to do it.

"It is more or less as I expected. Do not fret, I feel no worse about you for it, few but the initiate know the truths of Magics, and even many of them do not bother to study things outside of their specialized domain. I suppose you might call me... A bit of a dabbler. Oh not in my main magics, Reimancy and Glyphing, I am good in those. But I know a small bit about many other magics, and a small bit more about a select few."

Clyde continued walking, not heading to a specified spot, but knowing he would know it when he saw it. In the mean time, he continued filling Elaine in.

"So, to the basics... Yes, magic is about djed, magic is all about djed. All magics use djed to some end, a energy in everything alive. In fact, even you probably have djed, though of a different variety and flavor than a person with a living body."

"And yes, there are three kinds, each named for how they attain the djed needed to do its particular areas of magic."

"Personal magic, like my Reimancy, takes djed from the wizard, from his own person. It is usually the most direct and fast and powerful, but it can also be costly. This kind of magic is not free, and directly drains the djed from the wizard casting it. Which can be of minimal impact at first, but quickly escalates to worse and worse side effects."

"World magic on the other hand, takes djed form the world around you, from its inner workings, and allows you to imbue djed in specific ways, into other objects. This is considered a more building and crafting oriented magic. My Glyphing is one example, and so is my spiritism. As you saw when I made the soulmist, I imbued it with djed, allowing it to feed and strengthen you. But it took time, and tools. And I had to follow set paths within the magic."

Clyde paused for a moment, finding himself in a open space, with a few trees populating it here and there. He decided this would be as good as any, and stopped on the spot, as it was far enough from Ravok.

"And lastly, is divine magic, which takes djed straight from the gods. It allows this to manifest in very specific ways, which varies from one diety to another. Well, I think this will do, what say we get started? Let me get out my tools, and I will get to Glyphing. I can perhaps answer another clarifying question or two, if you have any, while I do so."

Clyde then set down his pack, and began to pull out things, several pieces of parchment, a bottle of ink, and a quill.
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Elaine Spade on June 26th, 2013, 12:08 pm

She was trying to memorize it. Magic is all about djed and djed was an energy and even she had djed. Maybe her soulmist was somekind of djed? She could ask it later. Personal magic takes djed from the wizard, himself like Clyde's Reimancy. World magic takes djed from the world like spiritism. And Divine magic takes djed from the gods and goddesses. Trully interesting. She was interested what's Clyde's up to. And Glyphing a world magic. She was really interested and happy right now. "Is my soulmist is somekind of djed too?"

She whispered and just looked how Clyde prepare everything. Ink, quill, parchement. Drawing some circles as she saw in some books. She never really understood how it works she went next to Clyde and was staring what how will he do it. How could she really help in that? Drawing circles? She could do several things now with her soulmist but what would she have to draw? She was a bit confused but she remained silent and just waited. Clyde wasn't a fool he wouldn't call her if she couldn't helpful for him. Finally she could help and not she needed help.

"I never understood those circles... I just saw they somehow drew it. What is Glyphing for?" she whispered. Yeah she didn't know what was it for? It must be useful but for what.
Elaine Spade
Player

Character sheet

Postby Clyde Sullins on June 29th, 2013, 5:27 pm

Clyde thought on her question... Was it? He had never considered it before, whether it was or was not. Due to this, he began to logically work his way through the answer, thinking it through out loud.

"Is soulmist djed? I am not sure... I mean, world magic works by affecting djed inherent in items and the world... And via spiritism, and world magic, I bring out the djed of foods and stuff to make it into a form that you can ingest..."

"So... I would think yes, your soulmist is a type of djed, though different to my own, like the ones a living person has. I think djed is used for everything, though to varying degrees. And since it is what lets you interact with people and to use your ghostly powers... I think yes, soulmist is djed of a type."

Clyde had prepared his parchment and things, and was about ready to write out some Glyphs, when Elaine asked a question. "What is Glyphing for?"

As he began to draw his first Glyphs, he smiled and explained it to Elaine.

"Glyphing? It is for affecting magics. That is what it does. Alone it is weak, but it can influence and affect and hold and guide other magics. Quite potent for a mage to know."

Done with his simple explanation, he began to write out his Glyphs, taking a chime or two to think about how that would be done. How would switches work, and be used? To break down a spell? To add it up... Perhaps the first first, just to test it out.

Clyde drew out a focus on the middle of the left side of the scroll, in the shape of a simple circle with a line drawn down the middle dividing it. He then drew two smaller circles divided by a line, on the right side of the scroll, but more spread out.

Now he needed to connect them, and keep the magic from escaping until he was ready. However... As he thought it out... He only needed a barrier and trigger on the main larger focus. It would be fine for it to come out of the smaller ones.

He drew out a barrier all around the first focus, a zigzag series of lines, circling most of the way around the circle.

Next he drew a pathway block out of the blank side of the focus, a pair of barriers, bringing it about a third of the way to the pair of smaller focus. This one was a series of diamonds drawn as X's outward from the focus. Once there, he drew a small switch, which was a parting of the barrier. The two side of the barrier would slowly get farther apart, till they grew level with the opposite sides of the two small focus. Then he retraced his barriers by coming from the two inner sides of the focus, and back to the earlier switch to meet at a V.

Finally, he drew a trigger, a triangle meeting with the part of the barrier zigzag, on the side were it entered the pathway that led to the switch. Next to it he wrote: Activate when "filtering fixtures" is spoken, to release the barrier and free into the pathway.
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Elaine Spade on June 30th, 2013, 3:24 pm

So her soulmist was somekind of djed too. She wasn't really sure if that changes everything but Hey! Good to know! She also got answer for the glyphs with a smile. She rarely saw Clyde's smile. It was... warm and give her comfort. "So it's somehow help to control magic... I see"

She couldn't help but she started to smile too. She sat down near the scroll and just watched how Clyde paint those circles and X's on it. Still she didn't know how to do it but appearently, as always Clyde knew it. Also once thing came to mind for her to ask. She whispered to him."Is Amelia really your student now?"

OOCOkay sorry it's short, nothing really happened to deal with Elaine. :D
Elaine Spade
Player

Character sheet

Postby Clyde Sullins on June 30th, 2013, 3:51 pm

As Clyde finished up his Glyphs, and was about to turn to Elaine, he was surprised by her words, and her question. "Is Amelia really your student now?"

Clyde looked at her, curious, uncertain for a moment, but then he smiled, and nodded.

"Yes, she is. I did not know that you knew her. Are you to acquaintances? I only recently made it official, I did not know anyone knew. I am just beginning her training in Reimancy, and Glyphing. Though she is still very new to both."

Clyde held up his hands, and began to exude res, feeling a thrum of warmth through his body as it left him, a taste of joy in his mouth, which he did not trust, and which he knew would not stay.

He shaped it with a few lazy swishes of his hand, into a ball, perhaps the size of a fruit, a large orange maybe? Clyde was uncertain, and when dealing with gaseous res it would hard to say exactly how large something was. Since gas could compress. This ball was about large orange sized, but the gas was spread out and not compact, and so of a lower level in strength.

Taking a step back, and making a flick of his wrist, the ball zoomed over to hover directly over the large focus. With a thought at the res, the outside burst into flames. Then he tossed it right at the focus, sending it downward with a burst of speed. As it neared, he sent another thought, and transmuted it all to flames.

Once it struck the focus, the entire fireball vanished, like a mole down a hole.

"Alright, so it is ready. All I want you to do, is to read the trigger phrase, which is the only words on the scroll. The trigger will tell you what must be said. I can't tell it to you know, or else I will trigger it. Oh, and you may want to take a few steps back before releasing it, just in case. Though you are not in that much danger, not having a body."

With that, Clyde would grab his pack, and race off 10 or 20 feet to stand next to a tree, well clear of the scroll.
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Elaine Spade on June 30th, 2013, 4:20 pm

Her smile didn't vanish. She didn't know why she had to. She sighed. And remembered her little past with Amelia... it was still painful for her."I kinda had... a little history with her. I think painful for both of us. I met her two days ago... that's why I know it. Strange feeling."

She looked up as Clyde stood up. Everything was in place. Clyde was focusing and Elaine wasn't sure what was happening. She saw something strange, like a gas but she couldn't tell maybe it was just her eyes. Then flame came out from nowhere. Now a flame ball like that fire which burned her. Then gone. Elaine was confused by now and she stood up. What was that for? But she will get the answer as Clyde was going backawards and asked to say the trigger. She was confused what is a trigger but as she looked at the scroll she saw it.

She looked at Clyde, her face became emotineless now. She was focusing. She looked at her back and went a little back only 2-3 steps. She was a bit scared and also tried to remember the trigger. Done. She believed in him that she won't have any trouble. She nodded to Clyde, a sigh, ready! Now she didn't whisper she said it with normal little loud voice and waited the affect. "Filtering Fixtures!"
Elaine Spade
Player

Character sheet

Postby Clyde Sullins on June 30th, 2013, 8:09 pm

Clyde was a bit surprised to hear that Amelia and Elaine had met. Odd how the world worked, that such different people would end up meeting, and both would now Clyde. Ravok was a decent sized city, with a lot of people, but it seemed such things did happen. Many people, at least important ones, seemed to know other such people.

In that way, it sort of made a logical sense, he thought.

Clyde stood by, as she spoke the trigger phrase. He expected to see a twin pair of flames come bursting out, two fireballs. But that is not what he saw.

Instead, a chunk of flame spurted out of each, and then the part of the Glyph with the switch leaked out flame, some more came out of the first focus, and then another small fireball came out of each of the smaller focus.

Then the scroll burst into flames, sending small sparks of magical flame flying all about, some of which would likely hit Elaine. Though only a few small sparks, nothing major.

Once the flames settled, a few areas of grass not burnt or on fire, Clyde stomped out the smoldering bits with his boots, looking like he was dancing about.

"Agh, sorry. I am not quite sure what happened... Perhaps one of the Glyphs failed or... I am not sure. I will have to try and fix the issue, before the next one."

Clyde thought on that.What had gone wrong? His barriers were fine... The only thing he could think of was the switch, or the way he had done it to go down the two paths. Instead of a steady stream of flame from each, or two fireballs half the size of the first, he had gotten chaos.
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Elaine Spade on July 1st, 2013, 3:53 pm

She was standing and waiting, then big flames came out. It was really unorganized and pretty messy. Like somebody was using reinmancy without control. As the scroll flamed intself some sparks reached Elaine's soulmist. It didn't hurt her, it was like something pinched her. She went closer also now. Thanks Dira she didn't feel anything. She looked at Clyde.

"Don't mind me... I'm fine but that was a chaos." So that is what a glyph for. It was powerful and dangerous. You had to know what you have to do, what have to draw or it would be like that... So that's why she was here. She couldn't be hurt by it that much. She sat down again and around her soulmist the weather was chilly. It could cool down the grass and the ground which burnt a little.

"Clyde, why do you need that for? It's not a child toy for sure..." She whispered. That question came to mind. Obviously who wouldn't ask it. Maybe those who had fear but not her. Why would her?
Elaine Spade
Player

Character sheet

Next