Closed A Rivalry Begins to Boil (Raif)

A rivalry is stirring between two Endals...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The vast mountain range of Kalea is home of secret valleys, dead-end canyons, and passes that lead to places long forgotten or yet to be discovered.

A Rivalry Begins to Boil (Raif)

Postby Cherayt on June 21st, 2013, 9:59 pm

Season of Summer, Day 26, 513 AV

Cherayt flew towards the Forward Camp, on Shlokia, her Wind Eagle. I believe that we have arrived at our destination..."Cherry." Cherayt bit her lip. That day she had been nicknamed Cherry had been the day her Eagle had become almost intolerable. Still she knew it was still a joke and she acted amused. The camp was coming closer, and Cherayt spoke. "Don't get yourself in trouble, 'kay? I beg to Dira that you are not going to die." Well I would like to think I won't die today, thank you very much.

They landed, Endal and Eagle. Cherayt took a deep breath and climbed off the Eagle's back and they nodded each other. We will meet again tonight, I believe? Cherayt smiled. "Yes. Good luck." Shlokia looked up, gave a beautiful call and took off.

Cherayt walked off, and saw some trees. She nodded and walked up. She set up some apples, hanging by threads of rope from the tree branches. Cherayt walked off and took out her crossbow. She focused and took the arrow and fired it. She cursed under her breath when it struck the thread and the apple fell, with some loose rope surrounding it. She had yet to improve on perfect aim. She focused on the second, and this time it hit the apple - and got stuck in the middle. She sighed and put them away. Apples were too small for aim. She could work with living people and bigger things but such tiny things she had to learn with still.
Cherayt
Player

Words: 7491
Joined roleplay: June 17th, 2013, 6:53 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Raif on June 24th, 2013, 6:53 am

Raif had woken that day in the same anxious mood he always exhibited on the dawn of a hunt. Rising just before Syna‘s promising warmth had stretched across Kalea‘s scabrous borders, he’d checked and then rechecked his supplies, making sure that Zibas was cared for and tacked properly, and that his own blades were sharp and his arrows many. An Endal could not afford to make mistakes when venturing out into the Unforgiving, and the more rehearsed the trip became without incident, the more likely one was to relax and let their guard down.

That was one risk, perhaps the only risk, the hunter was simply not willing to take.

Now, soaring midst gossamer clouds on their way to a forward camp whose location had been days in the planning, Zibas and his rider drifted lazily along the thermals with nerves steadily tightening. The giant bird’s watchful eyes skittered across the landscape, catching everything within their magnified field of vision in a manner that was truly impressive. Traces of movement could be found between bristled boughs of alpine forests and the skies above the canopy where life flourished. It gave his rider a reconnaissance of the surrounding area he was all too proud to relay across their intrinsic link to one another.

A pack of Takan heading to the west away from the camp. Two miles, Zibas chirped as though overly pleased with his find.

Number? Raif peered over and beyond his feathered friend’s gliding charcoal wing to the earth below, thighs pressed firmly against the warm leather of the saddle, wind cracking through his fiery hair.

Three dozen at least.

Then that will do. Give me, Raif’s head tilting to where Syna could be found, two days for a haul.

How many do you plan to kill?

As many as I have arrows to fill their hides with.

A trilling warble came across as amusement to the Endal who showed nothing but a softened glare to the back of Zibas’ feathery crowned head. You mean as many as your arrows actually hit.

The mountain beasts are dull-witted and sluggish like you, so I think my chances are good that...

Sluggish?!

Catching one last updraft, Zibas’ wings effortlessly hooked around the warmer current, lifting his body up several stories in the matter of a tick before collapsing them against his sides and dipping his slate gray beak towards the earth below. Raif could feel his stomach lurch against external pressures, hands tightening around the pommels of his saddle before the wind eagle nosed his way into a dive, effectively cutting off their line of communication.

The mountainous terrain consumed all that the eye narrowed to see, a den of spikes rising up hungrily from the earth to greet them. Zibas may have not held a distinct size advantage compared to other wind eagles, but where he lacked in brute strength, the creature more than made up for in raw speed. Raif was forced to press his torso as close to the bird’s back to avoid the air currents from ripping him apart from his saddle, fleshy cheeks undulating against the tremendous speeds they quickly reached.

Screaming down from the sky, the wind eagle broke through a sparse cloud barrier and into sight over the camp, nothing more than a black pinprick against a mighty blue and white ocean at first. It did not take long for the dot to become larger, however, as both eagle and rider joined in an adrenaline fueled battle cry that was swallowed by the winds tearing past them. Testing the laws of physics and fate combined, Zibas dared not to stall their harrowing descent until he felt a slice of fear cut through him. Then, rather than fully apply each feather he possessed into increasing their drag, gradually bottomed out until he was swooping just above the tree line, his massive shadow breaking across the grass swept earth.

Circling around the small open field where the camp lay, Raif quickly noticed another of his kind with what appeared to be a crossbow taking careful aim at a target along the tree line. Her presence alone left a purse-lipped expression blanketing his countenance, with a soft hint of annoyance clouding his eyes. He’d hoped to be alone when he came here. Now it seemed company was to be an addendum to the plans he’d so meticulously crafted.

Touching down effortlessly, Zibas felt his rider slide from his back and land onto the earthen floor with a dry thud. With little time wasted, Raif unhitched the pack and wool wrapped bundle he’d brought along before unhooking the saddle from his friend entirely. Freed of constraint, the wind eagle ruffled his feathers and stretched the ache from his wings.

Two days? Zibas’ head turned as he thoughtfully eyed the Inartan at an askew angle.

Should be enough. You headed for the bay? Peering up to the feathered creature who blocked a large portion of the sky, the Endal's face bore its usual expressionless tone.

Been awhile since I’ve had tuna. A behavior he’d picked up from observing others of Raif's species, Zibas’ tongue stretched out from his beak and slid slowly along its razor-like edge. It prompted a reflexive smirk from the one who possessed the capability to do so.

Then safe journeys, my friend. I hope you enjoy our time apart as much as I will. A maliciously teasing grin ensued.

The eagle squawked testily as the crown of feathers atop his scalp plumed to display the displeasure his deafening cry needed no words in explaining. With that, great wings unfolded, beating powerfully against the earth as the tips of his primary feathers slapped and unsettled Raif’s balance, forcing him to step back. Taking to the air, the great bird eventually disappeared from the Endal‘s trailing eyes, heading south where the scent of the sea grew stronger.

Reaching down to retrieve his belongings, Raif hauled his equipment past where the girl was training and took note of her weapon of choice once more. Spitting off to the side as though disgusted by its mere presence, the Endal spoke softly enough where it seemed no more than a passing thought reserved for himself, but loudly enough so she might hear.

”Pfeh. Who goes hunting with a crossbow? Might as well have brought a club. Get more use out of it…”

Last edited by Raif on June 25th, 2013, 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raif
Player

Words: 68633
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2012, 4:14 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Cherayt on June 24th, 2013, 8:43 pm

Cherayt focused on the shot and was about to fire when there was a loud swoop. An Eagle was flying down to land, with an Endal on its back. Cherayt shook her head and continued firing, but the presence of an Eagle drew her too close. She was so tempted to speak to the Endal and ask why he had intruded her space at this time of day, and just looked at her as if dirt.

It got worse when he clearly walked past and spat. "Pfeh. Who goes hunting with a crossbow? Might as well have brought a club. Get more use out of it..." The building annoyance burst from her. She glared at the annoying Endal who had just landed. "And whom are you, to speak, odd stranger from nowhere?" She stared at the strange man who had just come from the sky. "And for your information I have more than just this crossbow. Besides this arrow - yes you see it? If that goes through your heart - you are dead to the vultures to consume you and send you to the burning hells where you belong!" She looked into his eyes and spoke. "Well, for your information, we are equals. I have an Eagle too." And then she put back the crossbow and studied the man. "And who are you to just storm here, with a face that could shoot daggers at me and make fun of crossbows. Do you want me to get my sword?" She put away her crossbow quickly and delicately laid her hands on her longsword handle and smiled. "Do you?" She laughed and walked off. "Petch you."

Then a voice entered her mind. He wasn't there. Sadly, the man was dead. Cherayt blinked. So the man she had been tracking for what felt like forever was dead? And then there was swooping and Shlokia swooped down and landed. Cherayt gave a sidelong smirk at the other Endal and spoke to Shlokia through the mind. Tell me from the start. The Eagle's brown eyes looked miserable. The condition of his body was terrible. It was not a sight that I would wish to share with anyone. I came back to find you as soon as it was done. Cherayt then blinked. Why did you not go on and see the family? You weren't to be here until night! I should tell you - the state of his body states that there may certainly be murderers nearby. I felt I should warn you...

Cherayt turned around to the man and snorted. "I guess I will see you in the drudges." ...did something happen when I was gone, my Endal? You missed something - amusing.
Cherayt
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Raif on July 4th, 2013, 4:24 am

The rancor that dribbled from the girl’s tongue seemed to put Raif at ease rather than chafe a single nerve, shoulders relaxed with eyes vacant like undisturbed pools of water. When he moved past her, it was with a casual grace, more mindful of his footing along the scabrous terrain than her bristling pride being wounded. She barely even earned a cursory glance.

Setting his gear down beneath the courtly boughs of an evergreen, the Endal stretched his spine languidly within a finger of sunlight, arms rising above him as he moaned pleasantly to the popping of cartilage through his back and across his shoulders. It brought about a lazy sigh that filled his lungs with the crisp mountain air, and seemed to put his mind at ease. The troubles of the past were now behind him. All that mattered now was the hunt.

Much to his own quiet amusement, he’d largely been ignoring the blathering going on behind him, ears catching the word of ‘equal’ and plucking it from her tirade as if it were a piece of delicious fruit. This was a situation Raif had become all too fond of since rising to Endal. A wicked smile grew upon his features, cast in shadow as he moved beneath the sun flecked canopy of a pine. He held it just long enough to let her finish.

”Equals, hm? How adorable of you to think so.”

Raif’s heart steadied against the deep sound of wind being pushed through the trees, a dark shadow blotting out the kiss of Syna’s light as his amusement turned skyward. He watched as the giant eagle landed with a thick beat of its wings, its manner reflecting that of Zibas when something prickly had found its way into his thoughts. Though he couldn’t hear them, the Endal could only assume that her abrupt silence was due to a mingling of minds.

The look of sincere doubt he gave her when she finally spoke again was something he might have shown a yasi when being told they could fly if they thought about it hard enough. This was quickly scattered into a thousand pieces by laughter that drew up from his stomach and exploded from his mouth, Raif’s frame bent over at the waist as a hand slapped encouragingly against his thigh.

With a mouth like hers, surviving in The Unforgiving was tantamount to suicide.

OOCHmm, try toning it down a bit with the block of dialogue. Things don't move as smoothly if I have to respond to all of it. Muddles things up with fluidity and we're left with an awkward thread. Other than that :thumbsup:

Raif
Player

Words: 68633
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2012, 4:14 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Cherayt on July 10th, 2013, 7:05 am

Cherayt raised her eyes at the man. "You must be the most irritating Endal I have come across." She walked up to him and smiled into his face. Stop! You have to control yourself, Cherayt. "Do you want to leave or make me chop your clipped head off? I am sure my blade would be honoured by the duty of ridding the world of such filth of the likes of you." I am loving this. Why do you Inarta have to be so foolish at times? Cherayt just smiled on the inside. 'Cause that is what makes us Inarta, Shlokia.

Cherayt just continued smiling at the man. She could feel her anger swelling up. Who was he to just fly down on his Eagle, and go off on a rampage and just...uh! She took out her longsword and pointed it at the man's heart. Then she swung it back in and sheathed it. I assume you have finally saw sense? Sense? What is that? I need no sense... Then you are foolish. "I will take your life. Should I must." She saw the arrogant face and could tell the man was paying no attention to her words. It did not matter if he did not hear the words, in his clipped dream of him being greater than anyone else. Bah! What was his problem? Was he jealous and felt he had to throw insults, even though he just arrived? Or was he just throwing insults at anyone. She knew one thing though - if he tried anything she would respond. Try to kill her and it would be a battle for life.

Hopefully he wasn't foolish enough.
Cherayt
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets