To Live is to Run

Rue finds a strider with the help of a new friend

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

To Live is to Run

Postby Naiya on July 9th, 2013, 12:40 am

Rue
21st Day of Summer, 513 AV

"You're not even trying! Push yourself!" He hurled words at her as if he hadn't learned that his opinion had long ago ceased to matter. All the same they were throwing off her count as she moved her body. Arms strained to hold her body in the air as she touched a leg to the ground in front of her, the other in the air to aid her balance. Stomach straightened, lifting the legs, the warm burn of muscles working had long since turned into flames, both legs in the air now -a perfect handstand- then one down one lowered down to touch the ground behind her. One hundred. Two if you counted each touch. Straight up again and then she pushed lifting herself to her feet as her upper body reversed its position. Just as quickly she was on the ground again, dizzy from the blood rush.

"Giving up already? Look at you! You're a mess! Your brother can do three times that!" Rue tuned out his words as her vision returned and she sat up. Her arms were slowly recovering and she stood to stretch the tension from her legs as she stretched her arms. She stepped forward planting her back leg into the ground and sinking into the lunge, bending her back knee until it hovered just inches from the ground. A half chime later she pushed up to standing again with her front leg, switched and repeated the movement. Legs together again she bent at the hip lowering her upper body down, dropping her arms to touch her toes, nose almost touching her copper breeches. She stretched every day to be this flexible, three times on the days when she would run, this would be her second of the day, and when she returned she would stretch again.

"What nonsense is this now? What are you doing? Do you think you're done? You've hardly started!" Rue pulled one foot up to touch the back of her leg, pulling the muscle through the front of her leg. she did the same with the other leg. "Are you even listening to me?" She was, she just didn't bother to dignify his calling with a response. It was mid afternoon and this would mark her second stint of exercising for the day, she would not let his complaints cause her to overtax my body. "Hey! I'm talking to you!" Her father reached for her arm and she ducked beneath his grab, starting a medium jog that would let her not entirely ready legs to stretch out the rest of the way before she really ran.

Heavy footsteps pounded behind her accompanied by calls of 'come back here, you useless girl' and other more colorful insults. They lasted only a few chimes. The yelling accompanied with the belief that 'muscle is all that matters' meant that he was quickly left behind. She kept the pace as she weaved her way through the city, aiming to reach the outskirts before she switched to a quicker pace.

Nightsong
Naiya
Player

Words: 766506
Joined roleplay: June 14th, 2013, 5:11 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

To Live is to Run

Postby Silverrain on July 9th, 2013, 2:00 am

Silverrain had ridden ahead. Her pavilion wasn't coming to Endrykas for another week or so, but they were shadowing the travelling city pretty closely. She'd ride back to enter the city with them again later, but, for now, she was too eager to be back.

Bramble was as glad to be out in the sun and the grass as she, and they rode slowly, the city in sight, but in no great hurry to arrive. She planned to spend a few days in Endrykas before riding back to Crimsonsky and reporting what she had seen. This would give them time to prepare their goods for trade, plan where they wanted to set up the pavilion, all the little details that comprised of their main reasons for coming to Endrykas. Trade and news.

With a wide yawn, Silverrain stretched, her seat on Bramble fairly certain. She leaned over the yvas to pat the Strider's neck. "It'll be nice to see some folk who aren't related to us for a while, won't it. Maybe we'll find you a nice stallion even." She grinned her impish grin and sat back up.

Life was treating her well lately, and she was content. It wouldn't hurt to find a husband, but that little worry didn't nag at her as much as it used to. She was young still, as her mother often told her, and there was time. That didn't stop the teasing from stinging now and then, but it was true. She still had time.

The city was getting closer, easier to spot in the distance. She could make out distinct shapes now, some of the pavilions, the occasional person or horse. Her grin broadened. They were nearly there.
Silverrain
of the Ruby Clan

Words: 15745
Joined roleplay: June 30th, 2013, 4:56 pm
Character sheet

To Live is to Run

Postby Naiya on July 9th, 2013, 2:26 pm

Rue
Outside the city Rue opened up her stride, stretching her legs to almost their max with each step until she was sprinting more than just running. It wasn't a pace she could keep for long, but she enjoyed the freedom of it. It wasn't as fast as riding a strider, but she felt the reward was more when it was her body, not her horses that caused her hair to whip behind her like the flaming trail of a comet. Maybe that sort of thinking would change when she -if she- bonded with a strider, but Rue didn't think so, her body was all she really had, she wouldn't let herself go soft sitting on horseback all the time.

All too quickly she had to slow her pace, she would never make it to her destination if she didn't. She was going to visit the boy from before, the one she had returned the bay mare to. He owed her a favor and she figured she could release him from the obligation by asking to see his pavilion's horses. The lightfoot pavilion was known for its horses being fast and clever but also on the larger side, sometimes even sturdy enough to be used as warhorses. A horse was a horse to Rue, and she loved them all. She would enjoy the chance to visit with them.

Rue looked out along the grasses, spotting a horse and its rider coming in toward the city. With a grin on her face she lifted her arm in greeting, always happy to welcome a Drykas back to their home city. Even as she waved the ground began to shake beneath her feet, a leftover from the quake the day before, knocking her footing off and sending her for a spill in the grass with a startled cry. There were similar sounds from the city as others felt the same and wondered if there would be a repeat of the day before, but just as quickly as it started, the shaking ended again. It was like the earth was remembering the day before and had trembled at the memory.

Winded and more than a little embarrassed, Rue stared up at the sky as she lay in the grass catching her breath.

Nightsong
Naiya
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

To Live is to Run

Postby Silverrain on July 9th, 2013, 3:46 pm

A figure was waving at her up ahead. Silverrain smiled. This is why she loved being Drykas. She was lifting her arm to wave back when the ground moved. Bramble stumbled, a whinny sounding from her. The Drykas girl held tight to her Yvas, nearly toppling to the ground. "Dammit!"

It was over as soon as it began. Silverrain righted herself, thanking the winds she hadn't completely lost her seat. She watched Brambles steps for the first few moments, looking for sign of injury and when she was assured that there were none she sat back up. The figure was no where to be seen. A slight worry took her. The quake wasn't large but if a person fell they could easily hit their head on a rock or fall wrong on a limb..

"Let's go Bramble." She gave the mare's sides a gently squeeze with her knees and then the pair was running. Silverrain leaned forward, her rear lifted slightly to ease the ride. She directed her strider to where she had last seen the figure, slowing them as they approached so as not to inadvertently trample anyone.

"Hello? Are you all right? You didn't knock your head, did you?"

The young woman swung her tall figure from the horse, feet landing softly in the grass. She pursed her lips to the side in thought.
Silverrain
of the Ruby Clan

Character sheet

To Live is to Run

Postby Naiya on July 9th, 2013, 6:08 pm

Rue
Rue could hear the rapid beat of hooves as the rider approached and slowed. "I'm here," She sat up and raised her arm, unsure if the woman would be able to see her where she sat in the tall grass, "I'm fine, I caught my fall, mostly I'm embarrassed." She laughed softly as she climbed to her feet, brushing herself off as she did.

"Thank you for coming to check on me, it was very kind of you." She told the woman before her, her hands signing sincerity, thanks, good-hearted. "I don't think we have met before, I'm Rue, and I'm almost never this clumsy."
Nightsong
Naiya
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

To Live is to Run

Postby Silverrain on July 10th, 2013, 6:44 am

Silverrain grinned her impish grin as the woman called Rue stood. "I'm glad you're ok, Rue. I'm Silverrain Crimsonsky." Her hands signalled her delight. "Pleased to meet you. What are you doing out here? Besides being clumsy, I mean?"

Silverrain studied Rue, smiling faintly. She was in excellent shape, Silverrain was a little jealous. She wondered, absently, where her Strider was. Absently she reached back and stroked Bramble's nose.

She had to admit she was a bit excited to meet someone who looked to be close to her own age. She loved her pavilion, but she only had a couple family members close to her own age. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't the same to gossip with cousins about...siblings. She wanted friends who weren't blood-related.

She also knew she was likely getting ahead of herself, but she didn't care. As long as it didn't show on her face and make her look creepy. She was suddenly quite concerned her face was looking creepy, her smile fading.
Silverrain
of the Ruby Clan

Character sheet

To Live is to Run

Postby Naiya on July 10th, 2013, 2:00 pm

Rue
Rue couln't help the startled laugh that fell from her lips. "Besides being clumsy? I was going to see if I could run all the way to the Lightfoot pavilion from my own. I'm hoping for a visit with their horses - I don't normally see unbonded horses outside the ones my pavilion raises." Her eyes followed the movement of Silverrain's hand to the red dun behind her.

"She's beautiful." Rue said, hands moving in the sign of admiration. It reminded her again of her real reason for visiting horses from a new pavilion, she desperately hope to find her own strider. She shook the thought from her head telling herself once again that she was only going so she could relieve the boy of his debt. "Did you have business to attend in the city?"
Nightsong
Naiya
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

To Live is to Run

Postby Silverrain on July 10th, 2013, 4:58 pm

Not bonded yet. Silverrain nodded slightly at the thought. It was far from unheard of, and often the young woman took for granted her own experiences with two separate Striders. Her own situation wasn't uncommon either, but sometimes one could forget that others' lives played out differently than your own. "Lightfoot is supposed to have lovely horses."

At the compliment to Bramble, Silverrain's smile grew broad and proud. "This is Bramble. She's my common sense since I don't have any, or so the Ankal says. And Ankal word..." She left the sentence hanging, her hands signing her joking nature. "I've been very lucky to have such a patient companion."

"Did you have business to attend in the city?"

The question gave Silverrain pause. She -did- have business, but none of it on a timeline. She scoured her brain quickly, making sure she wasn't forgetting anything. "Yes. But no. I was going to scout out who's there currently, see what the trading is like, get some news. All that. My pavilion's catching up with Endrykas at its own sluggish pace, and they want to be prepared for trade. But I'm going to be here a few days, so nothing that can't wait."

She grimaced to herself, the explanation was far longer than it had needed to be. Oh well.
Silverrain
of the Ruby Clan

Character sheet

To Live is to Run

Postby Naiya on July 11th, 2013, 2:16 am

Rue
Rue nodded her agreement, she had high hopes for her visit to the Lightfoot pavilion. Rue reached her hand towards the horse for inspection. "It is very nice to meet you Bramble." Rue spoke to her, forgetting that not everyone thought it normal to speak to a horse like it was human.

"Maybe you'd like to come with me then? The horses are worth looking at, or so I'm told. My pavilion has horses as well, we buy and sell more than breed, but we have quite the mix of horses because of it. That aside, my father is known for his knowledge of trade, maybe he could help you? He tends to keep track of the goings on in Endrykas." The offer fell in the air before her, it felt awkward as it hung there. Rue wasn't used to having company, and she worried she was being too forward with the other woman. It was her nature to want to help the other Drykas, but much time in her pavilion had led her to believe that her help was rarely appreciated.

She kept her smile on her face though, the worst that could happen was that she would say no, mount her strider and head off to whatever business she had waiting for her.
Nightsong
Naiya
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

To Live is to Run

Postby Silverrain on July 11th, 2013, 2:58 pm

Silverrain smiled as Rue greeted Bramble. It was a nice gesture.

"Maybe you'd like to come with me then? The horses are worth looking at, or so I'm told. My pavilion has horses as well, we buy and sell more than breed, but we have quite the mix of horses because of it. That aside, my father is known for his knowledge of trade, maybe he could help you? He tends to keep track of the goings on in Endrykas."

The young woman blinked a bit, startled by the invitation, but she smiled broadly and nodded. Her hands gestured her excitement. "I'd love to go along. Never say no to seeing more horses, right?" She considered the last part of the invitation and nodded again. "Any advice that I can bring back to my Ankal would be appreciated. It's never a bad thing to be prepared."

Silverrain looked out over the grass, her lips pursed together. "How far out is it? Shall we walk, or would you like to ride? Bramble wouldn't mind if you did, but if you'd rather we walk it, I don't mind that either."

The mare had apparently lost interest in the conversation as she had begun to idly graze.
Silverrain
of the Ruby Clan

Character sheet

Next