The Start of Something New (Traverse)

Oriel begins her new job.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Home of the Konti people, this ivory city is built of native konti stone half in and half out of the sea. Its borders touch the Silverwood, and stretch upwards towards Silver Lake, home of the infamous konti vision water. [Lore]

Postby Oriel on July 3rd, 2013, 8:16 pm

TimeStamp: Summer 1, 513

Summer was the start of a new life for Oriel. William had finished remodeling the storage shed and her sister and her had finally finished painting and making the shed more ‘homey’. She had moved all her things in, just in time for Summer. She decided that since she was basically living on her own, even if it was still on Grandmother Hieress’ property that it was about time she got a job.

She had thought about quite a few jobs, but they all had bosses she had to look up to. Oriel was her own person and she preferred to not answer to anyone besides herself. After that she thought about maybe a farmer, and sell her products in town, but the problem with that was all the plants she would want to grow, she couldn’t because the situations and weather at her house were not ideal.

Finally she decided she would make her, a tea maker. That allowed her to work her own hours, and still be able to wander into the woods to find what she needed. Plus she could always grow some herbs at home for easy access. She would also be able to sell her ready-made tea bags in town, maybe to the tea shops or medicinal teas to the Opal Order, and of course to individuals. She liked that idea. She thought she was pretty okay at making tea. She knew a lot about the plants and her grandmother could always teach her what she didn’t know about tea.

Her first step in becoming a tea maker was to find out where she would sell the majority of her goods. Oriel’s first thought was the Bountiful Sea. She would go there on market days, see all the booths and all the products. That seemed like a perfect place to sell her wares. But the thing she didn’t know was how to get a booth. She figured it couldn’t be that hard, so she walked on over to the market to find out. She could probably stop at the Opal Order too; see if they were in any need for some medicinal teas Oriel was sure she could make. Although she figured that was a bit of a long shot, as the Opal Order probably has a tea maker of their own.

She got to main street rather quickly, it wasn’t far from her house. It was busy, all the booths set up. Sellers were calling out to passerbys, “Best fish on Konti Isle!” or “Silk dresses! Cheap!” The market always enthralled her, and this is where she would go to buy most of the things she needed. But today she wasn’t buying. Right now she was looking for someone that could help her get a booth, or at least someone to point her in the right direction.

OOCNot my best work, but I couldn’t think of much else.

Last edited by Oriel on July 9th, 2013, 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oriel
Tea Maker and Botanist

Words: 16268
Joined roleplay: June 27th, 2013, 12:59 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Traverse on July 5th, 2013, 12:13 am

Summer brought in a large influx of tourists appreciating the warm weather and beautiful fauna, and a bustling thrum seemed to surround Oriel as she made her way down the market streets.

Just before she reached the point where the walk way dipped and began to lead into water, a voice called out over the din.

"Miss? Miss!"

If she turned her head to look she would see a slender Konti with pale hair tied up in a series of braids waving her down. Intricate henna designs ran from her hands up to her elbows, and steel grey eyes shone quite warmly as she beckoned Oriel to come closer.

Upon closer observation it was clear that the woman was a crafts person of fortune telling supplies. Decks of hand made cards, carved runed stones, and jewelry with symbols of various Gods and Goddesses hung around ehr booth. Charms for luck, love, and fortune spun from silver strings in a stray breeze, and the woman had a set of Tarot cards opened up before her.

"I sense that you are not here for the wares, sister." The Konti murmured as Oriel made her way up to the booth. A hand with painted nails reached out in greeting. "My name is S'insil. Sorry if that seemed rude, it's hard enough to get regular customers, no less grab a stray sister." She grinned.

"You looked like you were searching for something without know what you were looking for...can I help?"

Not surprising that a fellow Konti would be so in tune with Oriel's plight...an island of healers and fortune tellers at her disposal.
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Words: 1283282
Joined roleplay: December 18th, 2012, 4:16 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Oriel on July 5th, 2013, 2:28 am

It wasn't long into Oriel's walk into the Bountiful Sea that a seller called out to her. She gave the Konti a quick glance, assuming that the lady just wished to sell her products. This quick look revealed a small booth that contained a number of fortune telling items. Such as cards, runes and a bunch of little charms decorated the booth. At first she was quite curious, a natural reaction as she was a bit interested in fortune telling. Something that came from her Gnosis mark that actually allowed her to see into the past/future. She had one day planned to go more in depth into her Gnosis and fortune telling interest, but today was not that day.

She quickly turned her head away from the woman, treating her the same as every other vendor that had called out toward her. Although she did, unconsciously take a few steps closer and slow her forward making steps so she could get a tiny bit of a closer look if she wished to come back.

Thankfully this little unconscious move allowed her to hear what the Konti said next, and this really did pique her interest. Oriel could look into the past and future, but she could never 'sense' what someone was, or was not looking for. Can fortune tellers do that? She never actually knew exactly what their kind could do.

She turned towards the woman now, taking a quick look at Syna to gauge the time, and seeing as it was not yet to the middle of the sky she had some time to spare. Oriel took a few hesitant steps toward the Seer until she gained just enough confidence to reassure her steps.

The Konti, looking a bit relieved, continued talking as the younger Konti wandered closer. Oriel listened intently, wanting to hear what else the Seer knew. She smiled at the next comment the woman made, it seemed more 'normal' as before she sounded as if she was selling her skills. She also stated her name, Oriel felt the need to do as well.

"I am Oriel." She said as she reached the booth, and shook the females hand. S'insil continued talking. She explained how she thought Oriel was looking for something that she didn't know she was looking for. True enough, with only one small flaw of course. "Well, I know what I'm looking for," She spoke in Kontinese just as S'insil had done before her, "I just don't know where to look for it."

Thinking for a moment, she concluded that this woman would be a help. She herself had a booth here in the Bountiful Sea, so she must know where and how to obtain one. "Yes, I do think you can help me. And I do thank you beforehand. I wish to sell tea bags, ones I create," Oriel added, "here in this market. I just don't know where to go to get a lovely booth, like yours."

Oh she did hope her fellow sister did know something. It would make her journey so much easier. She even got a bit excited, her smile widening just a fraction and her demeanor getting a bit of a buzz. She took this time in between her asking and the woman's answering to take another quick look at what the woman was selling. So many things were on her table, many of which Oriel had no idea of its use. She was so curious, but that curiousness would have to wait for another day.
Last edited by Oriel on July 9th, 2013, 2:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
Oriel
Tea Maker and Botanist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Traverse on July 9th, 2013, 2:11 am

S'insil considered Oriel for a moment thoughtfully.

"Well you could sell your teas here, I mean, usually it just requires talking to the right people, a few sisters who have been here long enough, and buying all the supplies to build your own booth, stocking up and what not...but if you're selling tea, perhaps a more direct route would be wise?"

She saw Oriel pause for a moment and the Konti rushed to explain.

"I know places like the Pearl Diver's inn always have need of new drinks for their customers and clients, they might even be able to order larger quantities than anyone in market would, and you could always come by now and then and offer your goods to the Konti in the market as well, we're always up for a good cup of tea."

S'insil smiled, scratching her temple with one of the intricately designed hands. Though Mura was filled with fortune tellers, the Konti liked to think she had a good eye for what people were really searching for, and wondered if she had struck the jewel on its point in this case.

oocLook! A segway!
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Oriel on July 9th, 2013, 3:44 am

Oriel processed what the Seer had said. She saw the sense in it. Go directly to the customers... sell in bulk. It made sense, plus Oriel was the kind of person who made her tea in huge amounts at one time, instead of a one or two at a time. That route would go with her route. She could not only have a greater sale, but be positive she gets paid each cycle, whether it be every season or every half season. It was fool proof, and financially safe.

In conclusion she decided to agree with the Seer and quietly thanked her before turning in the direction of the Pearl Diver's Inn, giving the fortune tellers wares one fleeting glance.

The Pear Diver's Inn wasn't far from here. It only took Oriel a few chimes to arrive. Once she walked in, having been here many time as William often resided here, instead of having a permanent home because of his job. She hung up her blue cloak which she had on and nodded with a smile at one of the sisters whom knew Oriel by face, but not by name. Oriel on the other hand couldn't tell the three apart (although she knew their names) and didn't bother to learn.

Unfortunately for her mission here, she wished she could tell them apart. Now she would just have to wing it. Aproching the desk, she introduced herself, "Hello, my name is Oriel Hieress. You may recognize me from coming to visit my friend William, the Akalak that often resides here when not out of town on Vision Water runs. Today, though, that is not my reason of being here, as William is gone." She held out her hand, offering a shake, "Forgive me sister, I cannot recognize you from your twins, what is your name? Are you Acil, Ecili, or Ciela?"

As she waited for an answer she stated exactly why she was here, "I am starting a tea business. And I am looking for clients. As an Inn, I assume you sell tea, or at least have a need for it for your customers. I want to do business." She stated, and polity waited for the answer.
Oriel
Tea Maker and Botanist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Traverse on July 10th, 2013, 1:20 pm

The woman standing before Oriel smiled sweetly brushing back her shoulder length hair, eyes dancing with interest at the mention of tea. It looked as if she had been previously working through a few order sheets, but no longer.

"We get most of our tea imported, wouldn't it be just wonderful to have some local stuff to give customers?" She grinned.

"Sorry, I'm Ecil, you picked the right triplet to question as I have all the cooking know how, the other two generally leave me with anything food related." She gestured for Oriel to seat herself on one of the large stools.

"I don't suppose you have any samples, do you? I know it always makes it easier for me to choose. If not what kind of teas do you make?"
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Oriel on July 10th, 2013, 11:01 pm

Oriel smiled and nodded at the first thing the Konti said, that sounded great to her. Local was better! She was getting excited. Oriel was sure that she had some questions, of course, she would just have to nail them! She could do that.

Her day was just getting better and better. What was her luck to manage to walk in on the Inn when Ecil was at the front desk. The cook, no less. She couldn't have asked for anyone else. Anyone else may have been less open to the idea. Ciela or Acil might have thought, why ruin a good thing and stop importing? But not Ecil. Thank Avalis.

The next question though made her smile disappeared. 'Petch, petch, petch! Why didn't I think of samples?!' But the answer was simple. She didn't start her day out needing samples, she was just going to get a booth. This is just where she ended up, where Avalis lea her. And if this is where her Goddess led her then she should have confidence in herself and she would make the best of it. She trusted it would turn out alright.

"Actually, no I don't have samples. But I make every kind of basic tea. Oolong, black, white and green. Most of the teas are 100% herbal, but I do make a few that have, say, honey or another flavoring. Also most of my teas are specifically made from plants that grow wildly and domestically here, on Konti Isle." She smiled proudly at Ecil. She was a proud girl that she made it all domestically and all natural. "Of course there is one, maybe two, that have imported ingredients."

"But that's the point, though, right? Your guests come here to view our culture, see our city and experience our shops and nature. The best tea is something made here, at home, rather than something imported where they can get anywhere else."

"And of course I can always bring you samples."
She added, smiling sweetly.
Oriel
Tea Maker and Botanist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Traverse on July 12th, 2013, 12:10 pm

Ecil nodded sagely. She sounded like a seller, but she was also a Konti, an individual which any could implicitly trust in the folds of Mura. She rummaged around for the drink menu and pulled out a rough piece of wadj backed by a thin sheet of driftwood, a shell accent on the corner to give the menu a nice decorative look.

"I would be happy swapping out the teas you've mentioned, we can keep a few imported kinds of course, but list yours as locally made." She took out a thin piece of charcoal and started scratching out the label and altering it, perhaps for her own records, then glanced up at Oriel, smiling.

"Look at me, I'm getting carried away. If you ever have any fancy new flavors to try, bring us some samples and we'll test them out on the guests, or ourselves, we'd be happy to carry any new concoctions you make. If you bring me a good amount of your teas I think we can start doing business, Oriel Heiress."

The Konti offered her hand to shake the business deal, looking almost excited as Oriel must have felt.
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Oriel on July 15th, 2013, 1:32 am

There was nothing Oriel could do but smile, and keep smiling. Avalis had blessed her and she could not be happier.

"I will bring you a few samples of each of my different teas and then if you like them I can make a whole bunch more! But I'm sure you'll like them!" She shrugged. They were pretty good.

"I will bring those over as soon as possible. Within the next couple of days. And I look forward to doing business. Thank you Ecil!" She exclaimed and took the Konti's hand.

"You will see me in a few days! And I'll bring the tea.Thanks again." She said as she left the Inn. As she left the building of her first supplier she thanks Avalis once again her guiding her. And then she wondered, how this would go, and where is would take her.
Oriel
Tea Maker and Botanist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Traverse on July 16th, 2013, 12:23 pm

The Start of Something New

Oriel

Experience:
  • Observation 3
  • Rhetoric 2
  • Socialization 1

Lore:
  • Becoming a Potential Booth Owner
  • Finding a Good point of Sale
  • Ecil: The Triplet that Cooks
  • Obtaining a Tea Buyer

Additional Notes :
So there wasn't a whole lot tea wise going on in this thread, but I think it was important nevertheless to kind of figure out where Oriel was going and what she was doing. Since your job entails so much different stuff, from selling wares to farming, to herbalism, I cannot wait to see all the things you do with it! I will be PMing you your seasonal wages shortly!
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)