Items from flashbacks - confirmation

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Roderick on July 25th, 2013, 2:21 pm

So I've just recently finished a thread with another player, and in the thread my character is using a long bow. When I was making my character I figured I had to remove the price of the bow and arrows from my ledger, so I'm down by 77 gm. However, it occurred to me just now that I shouldn't have to take money away because I already had it prior to creation; he's had it for quite a while.

I remembered reading up on the fact that you can rp in a flashback about having an item you don't have right now, and you'll be able to add it to your inventory in the present, assuming your character held onto it. So, if I were to rp about my character receiving the bow when he was younger, that would mean he'd have it in the present, so I wouldn't need to remove any money from my ledger - right?
Thoughts
"Speech"
Standard text

If there is ever a time when I don't post within a thread - or create one - within a few days, send me a PM; the chances are I may have accidentally forgotten.
Roderick
Player

Words: 294797
Joined roleplay: July 20th, 2013, 9:10 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Verilian on July 25th, 2013, 3:30 pm

Normally you cannot gain any items or money from a flashback. Only in special circumstances is this allowed, and that is only if the storyteller grading the thread awards it to you.
Forecast for tonight... Dark
-----
Wind Reach---Wind Reach Lore---WR Request Thread
Verilian
Retired Staff

Words: 1113582
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:53 pm
Race: Staff account
Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Roderick on July 25th, 2013, 6:02 pm

What exactly would be considered "Special Circumstances"?

While I'm at it, in terms of items (weapons/armor etc.) are there rules about them being exchanged between characters, willingly or unwillingly? I'd imagine there would be rules for stuff being taken forcibly but in terms of being able to give stuff willing what happens?
Thoughts
"Speech"
Standard text

If there is ever a time when I don't post within a thread - or create one - within a few days, send me a PM; the chances are I may have accidentally forgotten.
Roderick
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Verilian on July 25th, 2013, 6:05 pm

Special circumstances are more often than not a flashback quest or something of the sort. We aren't just going to give you a free longbow because you want it. If we gave out items in flashbacks, you could potentially get whatever item you wanted any time you wanted it simply by saying you already had it and doing a flashback where you used it.

As far as exchanging items, as long as you give it to them in a thread, that's fine. No OOC item exchanges. And forcibly taking an item depends on if it is agree OOC. If the character's player agrees that you can IC forcibly take the item, then it's all good. If you disagree, then a mod steps in and determines whether or not you succeed or fail at taking the item.
Forecast for tonight... Dark
-----
Wind Reach---Wind Reach Lore---WR Request Thread
Verilian
Retired Staff

Words: 1113582
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:53 pm
Race: Staff account
Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Roderick on July 25th, 2013, 8:09 pm

Right, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the information :)
Thoughts
"Speech"
Standard text

Roderick
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes