Kane Roth - Repentant

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, all the character sheets are kept for player characters. Feel free to come on in, browse the forum, look at what sort of characters others have created, and then begin your very own!

Moderator: Liaisons

Kane Roth - Repentant

Postby Kane Roth on July 15th, 2010, 4:34 pm

Kane Roth
Repentant

Character Name: Kane Roth
Race: Human
Age & DoB: 28 Years, Winter 3rd, 482 AV
Hometown: Sunberth
Physical Description:
Build: Thick set, barrel chest, square head, long legs. Like a Lexus, he's built for comfort, not for speed.
Height: 6’ 1”
Weight: Usually around 230 lbs. At the beginning of the RP, around 190 due to starvation and lack of food.
Eye Color: Green.
Hair Color and Style: Brown-blonde, cut short.
Skin Tone: Average ‘Caucasian’ tone, slightly tanned.
Character Concept:
Personality: Kane is a quiet individual, and rarely speaks unless spoken to, the exception being when he wants something, his eyes, on the other hand speak volumes, both about his past and his attitude; these are eyes that don't care. Put simply, Kane only cares what his superiors think, and the difference between his superiors and his family(thanks to his horrid upbringing) is nonexistent, and should he fail them in any way he can become self flagellant, he doesn't literally whip himself, he simply punishes himself, mentally berating himself & all that jazz. Makes mountains out of molehills, if you will.
Merits:
• Loyal.
• Determined.
• Chivalrous. (or, at least, he wants to be)
• Hard working.
• Appreciative.
• Quiet.
• Strong.
Flaws:
• Mentally self-mutilating.
• Violent.
• Slightly impatient.
• Uneducated, save for what he's taught himself.
• (former) Street Urchin.
• (former) ‘Enforcer’, your standard Henchman or Thug.
• Doesn't trust easily.
• Quiet.
• (Insultingly) Blunt.
Ethical Alignment: Considering his history, Kane could be considered evil, however, considering his current plans and what may come of them, he could also be considered good. For now, I will be sated by saying he’s simply neutral, but he wants to be good.
• Violence.
• Trees.
• Stories.
• The outdoors.
• Women.
• Food.
• Drink.
• Cooking.
• Rain.
Dislikes:
• Murder.
• Ineptitude.
• Homosexuals.
• Crime.
• The Rich.
• Fancy Food.
• Wolves.
• Mining.
• Arrogance.
• Snow.
• Slaves and slavekeepers.
• Dark, dank, dirty homes.
• Any use of the phrase ‘whore’.
Character History:
Pre-Creation:

Kane was born to a Brothel whore in Sunberth to an unknown father, and came to know only poverty in his youngest years, his only lodgings for years being a cramped shack living among his own filth and the squalor of Sunberth. His mother cared little for him, only hoarding what little mizas she could for herself, and as such Kane learned to live for himself, though that wasn’t his name. He really didn’t have a name for a long, long while, only called ‘boy’ by his mother and most others. Soon he learned that his mother slept deeply and that her coinpurse was easily acquired, he also learned how many copper mizas it took to purchase a loaf of bread. Too many. So he took to stealing, taking what he could, when he could, from anywhere. Other children, street vendors, even the slavers, and for the longest time he was quite a spry child, nimble and quick, until he was eight, and was finally caught as he was pilfering the larder of one particular slaver; an Isur, by the name of Balor, Balor Blackheart.

Now, at this time it may seem somewhat prudent to give a very brief history of Balor and just how he wound up in Sunberth. Balor is something a bastard, not literally, but he's just mean. He was likely ostracized for just this reason, and never spoke of either his family or his clan, only taking on the name Blackheart. He then made way for Sunberth and eventually came around to being a Slavemaster, training and peddling slaves, preparing them for their harsh existence. While one could claim he was doing the slaves a service, actually equipping them for the hell he would toss them into, Kane views it differenatly than most, ulike many of the slaves in Sunberth...

Now, Balor saw this boy for what he was, trouble. Bad trouble. Thin, wiry thin, fast, agile, clever, not the kind you want as a slave, a troublemakers. However, Balor is a businessman, and has learned in the economic world not to pass up oppurtunity, and so took the boy as his own little 'pet project', seeing if he could make hi'm worthy'. So Kane, as he soon came to be known by the Isur, lived in his house as his servant, preforming a great many menial tasks for Balor, and also trained. Wearing weights much of the time Kane's growth was stunted, though his muscles were not, soon he lost his nimble figure, his quick step, replaced with heavy set arms and careful legs. Balor even educated him somewhat, (If not by accident, because no one in their right mind educates their slaves!) and his curiosity began to grow as he did, and so this lifestyle continued, Balor on the most part ignoring his needs and simply insisted that his training go on, and Kane eagerly awaited any call from him, hungry for any nugget of information he might have revealed to him. Balor became a sort of father figure to Kane, despite the training, the berating, and of course, the ignorance, Kane actually came to love him, in some twisted sense, loved him more than his mother, and his nonexistant father, for Balor showed more love to him, even with all the faults above, than anyone ever had before. All this lasted until he was eleven, and was sold to a cartel to be used as cheap, manual labor. It was here, even for all his faults, Balor proved not to be as Blackhearted as his name suggests, giving Kane a simple charm, a triskelion medallion, for good luck.

The reasons for his departure from his surrogate father were never revealed to him until he started to work for the cartel, as the other boys cruelly revealed what it was Balor'd done to him, and it was then that Kane killed his first man, or boy, whatever you want to call it. Kane was much more physically fit thant the others, having trained long and worked little, whilst the others had done just the opposite, and he managed to strangle one of them in his sleep, the advantage of surprise allowing for the kill, and was on his way to a proper tally when the others pulled him off his intended victim and aroused the Cartel Slavekeepers. The guards dealt with this as any proper guard should with an unruly prisoner, and had him flogged. 15 lashes. As he was returned to the slave quarters, nothing was said until that night as the boys tormented him, beating, and sodomizing him. At that point their fate was sealed in Kane's eyes, and so he bided his time the next few months, waiting for the right chance to kill, and though he was bigger and stronger than most of the boys in the cartel's slave ranks, the others had the advantage of numbers, and so he made sure to kill them off alone.

The first died a grisly death locked in the storeroom with him as Kane broke his legs and them his ribcage, all with a wooden plank. Flogged again and sent to his own makeshift quarters, Kane lived in a closet until his next attack, as he stole into the slave quarters one night and smothered another with a burlap sack. The floggings began to stop thereafter and the slavekeepers began to look on with more interest, placing bets and wagers on who'd go next and in what fashion, many times they'd sneak him items to help bolster their chances of winning the wager, or locking him in a room with one of the boys. So it continued until all of the original slaves who'd beaten him that night lay dead, and he attempted to kill others at the behest of the keepers, though he lacked the same determination as he had with the others, and the guards weren't pleased.

Not at all, and so to sate their newfound bloodlust, actually started to run Kane in pitfights on the side, and there he blossomed. In his fourteenth year he began a career of violence, fighting, and on occassion, killing, all who faced him in the ring. Giving him intially only a copper shortsword and a wooden buckler, Kane fought and killed, taking trophies from each of the fallen ones whom he'd vanquished, though his 'logo', so to say, remained the triskelion of the manner that hung about his neck. Though he didn't win every fight, he obviously wasn't killed, and evenutally the slavekeepers thought it proper that he'd earned his freedom, already paying back to them his weight in gold, which now centered at about two hundred pounds, and so at the age of eightteen Kane Longstride, as he was known to many, was free, in a sense.

Though he was technically free, he was still in the employ of the cartel, instead now he got paid a daily wage of 5 silver mizas, he was used first as a guard in a cartel warehouse, simply making sure that no one poked their noses into a certain storeroom or two. Eventually they started testing him out as an Enforcer, and found that he was fairly well suited to the job, making people remember things. Things like if they owed the cartel money, or if they were late on their protection payment, and even why things like protection money exist. So he worked, destroying lives and earning cash, doing many things he's not proud of today, and many things he'll never speak of again. He worked as such for years, well over a decade, putting most of the money he'd earned back into books. Just know that with his wages he began to research, to learn, already he'd taught himself to read under Balor, and eager he was to get his hands on more, always, more! It became the thing he lived for, really, and when he discovered the Syliran Knights he became almost obsessed. They were quite the interesting subject, with all their order and whatnot, seemed like an interesting lifestyle. He bagan to study closely their code of conduct, the ethics required to become a knight, and began to compare to his own daily actions, and began to see just what it was he did every day. No longer did he go at anything with gusto, with passion, perceving it to all be, somehow, wrong. But if it weren't for one fateful day, late in the winter of 509 AV, it wouldn't of meant much more to him than a simple tugging at his conscience.

He was called up to 'deal with' a Isur who'd failed to pay back a loan he'd taken out prior, just rough him up, no killing or anything of the like. He was old, they said, shouldn't put up much of a fight. And so he set out to do such, the whole job seeming to be an effort to redeem Kane in the eyes of his employers. When he arrived he was quite surprised when his work took him to an upscale neighborhood, houses with servants and such, fancy stuff. Arriving at the residence of the Isur he peered into the home, just curious to see how the upper class live their lives in comparison to the spartan lifestyle he lead in his small apartment, and was stunned for a moment by what he saw; Balor, a much older Balor to say the least, seated at a table with a child seated likewise beside him. It was a boy, a human boy not unlike Kane, eating at the table.

The same table as Balor. That never happened when Kane dwelled with him. Something about all of this was oddly different, a strange coincidende that he should be dispatched to deal with Balor...

Venturing to the door, Kane knocked and awaited a response, which came a short while later in the form of a slightly irate Balor peering out from the slightly opened doorway, speaking quickly, "I owe them nothing." Moving to close the door, Balor was stopped momentarily by Kane's hand in the doorway, the door smashing against his hand violently. Flinching in pain, Kane recovered moments later and asked,

"Balor Blackheart?"

Balor's face now took on an air of fear, "How do you know that name, human?" Kane paused momentarily before reaching into his shirt, at which Balor took a more defensive stance, asking once again, his voice raised, "How did you come by that name?" Procuring from underneath his tunic his medallion he held it loosely in front of him. Balor's eyes followed the trinket and it swayed from the motion used to remove it from the tunic as Kane spoke apprehensively,

"Don't you recognize me, sir?"

They were quiet for a few moments, simply staring at eachother until the small boy, probably about eleven years of age, came looking for Balor, and was puzzled as he stood at the door with a stanger. Turning to see that the boy had come to investigate, Balor spoke simply, still with some air of command in his voice, "Come Daryl, this is an old friend, come, greet Kane." Thereafter, Kane was invited to sup with them, and he did such. As he ate he finally realized something, a feeling that he never had before, like things were alright, you didn't have to worry about anytihng...

He felt like he belonged.

Staying late into the night, Kane had many words with Balor, long after Daryl had left to sleep, and discovered much. Balor had had a vision! One that connected with him so deeply that he changed his ways, ways that were deeply rooted in Sunberth, and in Balor. The Slave Trade had treated Balor well,and he'd no particular reason to leave it, but this vision showed him what he'd done, what he'd done wrong, and what he had to do to right his wrongs. Now, Balor had, and still did, have a great influence on the way Kane acted and thought, he was after all his 'father', and such tales, whether they be a simple dream or a bonafide vision, took root with Kane. This is what pushed him over the edge, what caused him to desire repentance for his sins, for his sins were both grave and many, and most of all to do good, not just good for his own sake, but good for others. Balor had already begun on his path, raising young Daryl and not making the same mistakes he had with so many others. This is where the dream of becoming a Knight was conceived, after he left Balor's home and returned to his own.

The next day he was flogged for his failure, and someone else was sent to deal with Balor, and neither love nor mercy stayed their blade. Balor was slain, but young Daryl escaped, and that warmed Kane's heart, for the first time in ages he actually cared what happened to someone other than himself. Homebound for a long while, he read endlessly on the Knights, only adding fuel to the burning desire that had already taken up residence in his soul, filling a gap left too long empty. In particular was one knight, Wolfgang Roth, who caught his attention, so much so did his exploits interest him that Kane adopted his surname, Roth, as his own. As soon as he'd healed he was planning to get away from this wretched place, and find a way to Syliras to enter into the order. The journey would be long and hard, yes, but the escape would be the toughest thing, yes, that and surviving outside the city.

So, he attempted his escape, spending most of his money on gear and things he'd need for the trip, and the cartel took notice of this, and after a heated chase Kane managed to escape the city he'd known for so long, but not at a cost; for much of his supplies had been lost or ruined in the escape. Forced now to survive in a completely alien environment, Kane had to learn on his feet, though he was fairly good at such he learned to trap and to try to hunt, though the latter proved not to be fruitful, but also to stay quiet around traveled areas, stick near the roads(whenever there actually were any), and never trust anyone.

The journey was long and hard, especially in the late winter and for one of Kane's caliber, though he has finally made it to the outskirts of Syliras... perhaps he can begin anew here, make himself worthy of the name Roth, and forget forever the nightmare that was Sunberth.

Post-Creation:

Kane's ultimate desire, really, is to become a Syliran Knight, and will stop at nothing to do so, though whether he accomplishes this goal remains to be seen.

If there's anything I need to change, let me know.
Last edited by Kane Roth on July 30th, 2010, 2:10 pm, edited 20 times in total.
Kane Roth
Player

Words: 74098
Joined roleplay: July 15th, 2010, 3:35 am
Character sheet

Kane Roth - Repentant

Postby Kane Roth on July 15th, 2010, 8:11 pm

General Information :
1. What is your Name?
Kane. Kane Roth.
2. Do you go by a nickname or pet name?
Not often. Only one I had was Kane Longstride. Long time ago. Back in the pitfights.
3. How old are you?
Twenty eight... I think. Don't know for sure.
4. What is your height?
About six feet.
5. What is your weight?
Two hundred or so pounds.

Aesthetics :
1. Describe yourself as you see yourself.
Corrupted. Flawed, broken, really. In need of repair.
2. Describe yourself as others typically see you.
Many have seen me as evil, wrong, all around bad. Not good, really.
3. What is your favorite body feature?
My feet. Carried me away from Sunberth.
4. How physically fit are you?
Enough to kill.
5. How do you typically dress and what is your style?
In clothes. Style? I don't have time for style.

Family :
1. Who are your parents and what are they like?
No one important. What are they like? They're dead.
2. Do you have any brothers or sisters?
Only one. Don't know what happened to him.
3. What is your extended family like?
I have no extended family.
4. Do you consider close friends as important or more/less important than family?
Moreso, my family's all dead.
5. Do you treat animals like family?
Only my horse, she helped me out of Sunberth.

Sunberth.
2. Where do you live now?
On the back of a horse, for now.
3. If you could live anywhere in Mizahar where would that be?
Syliras. Easily.
4. Do you have a favorite place to vacation or spend leisure time?
Don't have time for vacation, my leisure time is spent working.
5. Where do you fear to be?
Sunberth.

Traits :
1. Do you have any physical weaknesses (disease, scars, and missing limbs?)
Physical? Not to my knowledge.
2. Are you right handed or left handed?
Right.
3. What languages do you speak? What do you sound like? Do you have an accent?
Common mostly. Typical Sunberth accent, I suppose, sounds normal to me.
4. Do you have any odd mannerisms, annoying habits, or other defining characteristics?
I like to collect blades. It's a hobby. Lost my collection a while ago.
5. Do you have (or want to get) any tattoos or piercing? Why do you have them (or will get them) ?
Hell no. Disgusting practice.

Occupations :
1. What is your occupation?
Nothing.
2. Do you like/dislike your work? Why?
Can't say I dislike it... but I need a job.
3. If you could be anything you wanted to, what would you be?
A Syliran Knight.
4. What occupation do you admire the most? Why?
Syliran Knights. Because they're the only ones doing the right thing in this world.
5. What occupation do you lest like? Why?
I'd rather not talk about it.

Childhood :
1. What sort of child were you?
Street urchin. Petty theif until I became a slave.
2. What is your favorite memory from childhood?
... I don't have a favorite memory.
3. What is your worst memory from childhood?
You want to go to the next question.
4. What sort of relationship did you have with your parents?
Only had one. An Isur. Only person I ever loved, really.
5. Who was your most influential rolemodel?
The above mentioned Isur, Balor.

Education :
1. What sort of education do you have?
Self taught.
2. Do you like/dislike learning?
I enjoy it greatly, as long as I'm not overstressed.
3. Where or how did you learn most of your skills/abilities?
In the pits and running away. Fighting in an arena and fleeing in the wilderness did me some good.
4. How do you learn best?
By Doing.
5. What are your educational goals for the future?
Assemble a library.

Relationships :
1. Do you form close bonds with people? Why? Why not?
I... can't say I have. Never knew anyone I cared about, save for Balor, and slaves don't get days off to visit. Never had the time.
2. Do you trust people easily? If not, why not?
I lived in Sunberth for twenty eight years. I trust no one.
3. Do you consider yourself straight, gay, bi, or something else?
Straight. Can't stand homosexuals.
4. Have you ever been kissed? If so, describe the first time.
No. Can't say I've legitimately been kissed.
5. Have you ever had sex? If so, describe the first time.
Sex? Well yes, I've had sex several times, but in the sense of it I've never 'made love'.

Drugs and Alcohol :
1. Have you ever been drunk? If so, describe your first time.
Many times. Two words. Not. Fun.
2. Do you like to drink on a regular basis?
I'm trying to quit.
3. What sort of alcohol do you prefer?
Wine, really. Vino. Can't stand that sweet shit.
4. Have you ever tried drugs (mood altering substances)? If so, which kinds and what did you think of them?
Once in a while, before I came to Syliras. I'd rather not.
5. What do you think of drugs and alcohol? Be specific.
It helps you forget, forget your sins, if only for a short time. They can be good, in moderation.

Likes and Dislikes :
1. What are your hobbies?
Reading, collecting blades... not much else.
2. Do you like to read?
Yep.
3. What annoys you more than anything else?
Annoys me? Snooty people.
4. What do you find the most relaxing activity to do?
I dunno, meditation or something. I like practicing with my blade, personally.
5. What kinds of things embarrass you? Why?
Women, women in awkward situations, and small children. I would rather not talk about it.

Favorites :
1. What is your favorite color or colors?
Probably green, earthy tones.
2. What is your favorite time of day?
Evening.
3. What is the most beautiful thing you’ve ever seen?
I don't know... possibly Syliras. Haven't seen a woman that truly catches my fancy yet.
4. What do you like to eat? What do you hate to eat?
Food. I'd eaten worse. All food is good. When you grow up in Sunberth, everything tastes better than dirt, or worse, filth.
5. What is your favorite type of weather? Does any kind scare you?
Sunny, clear sky. Snow. Snow scares the fire outta me.

Outlook :
1. Are you optimistic or pessimistic?
Dunno. I'll have to pay more attention to that.
2. What are your religious views?
The gods have their ways, and I mine.
3. Would you be able to kill?
I've never been a stranger to it, and I'm still not.
4. What are your views on sex?
It's better if both parties desire the same outcome.
5. What, in your opinion, makes a successful life?
Doing something worth remembering, something good. Influencing more than your own in life in a positive manner.

Actions :
1. What is the worst and best thing you’ve ever done?
Worst... I don't know. Murder, rape, take your pick, I don't know if I can judge myself well.
2. What is your greatest regret?
Not leaving Sunberth sooner.
3. What is your best/worst memory?
Thus far? Best? Arriving at Syliras. Worst? Being abandoned and sold to someone.
4. If you could change one thing about your past, what would it be and why?
I would've not... well, suffice it to say that I wouldn't be who I am today without my actions prior.
5. What are you the most proud of doing in your life?
Can't say I have anything to be proud of yet. Hopefully I'll become a Squire in the Order.

Emotions :
1. How honest are you about your thoughts and feelings with others?
Never talked to anyone but Balor about this sort of thing... Dishonest I suppose.
2. Do you have any biases or prejudices?
Hmm... Homosexuals. That's what happens when you're diddled as a child.
3. What makes you happy?
A new blade, a good book... being accepted into the Order, I imagine that's the greatest feeling in the world.
4. Who or what, if anything, would you die for?
The Order, or Justice. Either or.
5. What makes you angry?
My past. More than anything.

Relationships :
1. In general, how do you treat others?
I've my business and they theirs. Most often neither the twain meet.
2. Who is the most important person in your life, and why?
I don't know. No one, at the moment.
3. Who is the person you respect the most, and why?
Living? Headmaster Loren Dyres. Other than that, Sir Wolfgang Roth.
4. Do you have a spouse or significant other? If not, describe an ideal lover.
No. I don't know if I have time for such a pursuit. My life is only so long, and I've much to atone for. Perhaps a pure woman, I don't know. Never thought of it before.
5. Do you trust anyone to protect you? Who, and why?
No. No one.

Group Situations :
1. Do you tend to argue with people, or avoid conflict?
Hmm... Depends on the situation.
2. Do you tend to take on leadership roles in social situations?
Depends. I'll try not to, but I will if I must.
3. Do you like interacting with large groups of people? Why or why not?
No. Just don't have the patience for it.
4. Do you care what others think of you?
Somewhat. I only care if they care, really.
5. What do you think of others, in general?
People are people, I let them their lives if they leave me to mine.

Self Image :
1. What is your greatest strength as a person?
I'd draw a line between loyalty and determination. Can't say which.
2. What is your greatest weakness?
I'm a fairly violent individual. Prone to outbreaks, should someone test me.
3. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
I'd like to be a much more patient individual, but that isn't going to happen.
4. Are you generally introverted or extroverted?
Introverted.
5. Are you generally organized or messy?
Little bit of both. Organized Chaos, if you will.

Beliefs :
1. What God or Goddess do you find most appealing, if any?
I dunno. They're all there, I'm just not attached to any.
2. Which God or Goddess do you fear, if any?
None, really.
3. Do you have any Gnosis Marks? If so, how did you receive them?
What's a Gnosis Mark?
4. What lengths would you go to to please your deity?
Don't have one at the moment.
5. Where do you draw the line at pleasing your deity? What is too much?
Don't have one.

Life & Death :
1. What do you absolutely live for?
Becoming a Knight.
2. What is the best part of life?
Fight for what's right, slay your enemies and hear the lamentations of... uh... people they know.
3. What is the best part of death?
Being able to rest knowing one has done well in life.
4. If you could choose, how would you want to die?
In battle, fighting the wrongs and injustices of the world.
5. What is the one thing for which you would most like to be remembered after your death?
A man who left the world a little better than when he came.
Last edited by Kane Roth on July 30th, 2010, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kane Roth
Player

Character sheet

Kane Roth - Repentant

Postby Kane Roth on July 17th, 2010, 1:32 pm

Ledger:
2/SU– 75 gold mizas

2/SU-
Lodgings for 10 Days on Traveler's Row - 10 SM
Stabling and Feed for Mount - 55 SM
69 GM, 5 SM

3/SU- 51 GM, 3 SM
Iron Longsword - 15 GM
Scabbard - 2 GM
Belt - 2 SM

6/SU - 48 GM
2 Cotton Tunics - 1 GM
3 Cotton Shirts - 3 SM
2 Pairs of Woolen Trousers - 1 GM
Lodging for another 10 Days on the 'Row - 1 GM

Current Total 48 GM
Kane Roth
Player

Character sheet

Kane Roth - Repentant

Postby Kane Roth on July 30th, 2010, 2:09 pm

Skills and Point Distribution
SkillLevelRacial BonusStarting PackageLearned
Longsword27/100+15+10+2
Wilderness Survival10/100+0+10+0
Running15/100+0+15+0
Trapping5/100+0+5+0
Stealth10/100+0+10+0
Storytelling4/100+0+0+4
Interrogation2/100+0+0+2
Seduction1/100+0+0+1
Drinking2/100+0+0+2
Observation1/100+0+0+1

Equipment:
• Grey-green woolen traveling cloak.
• Beige sack cloth shirt.
• Green woolen trousers.
• Worn leather boots.
• 1 one liter leather bota.
• 1 Canvas rucksack.
• 1 set of toiletries.
• 1 week worth of foodstuffs.
• 1 practical eating knife.
• Flint & steel.
• 1 tin treskelion heirloom pendant.
• 100 gold rimmed mizas.
• 1 one man pup tent, yellowed canvas, moderate superficial damage and wear.
• 54 ft of rope.
• Broken lantern.
• 2 torches.
• Bedroll.
• Wool blanket.
• Paint horse.
• One Iron Longsword and Scabbard.
• One Leather Belt.
• Three cotton shirts.
• Two more pairs of woolen trousers.
• Two cotton tunics.

Lores: