[Syliras]Footholds[Open]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Syliras]Footholds[Open]

Postby Maya on July 26th, 2010, 10:10 pm

Day 6 of Summer of 510 AV

The early morning sun peeks over the horizon, spreading warmth and light to the world once again. The fuss of the insect life dies down as the light emerges, bringing with it the music of birds. Poking through the window, the light reaches Maya laying on her cot, and gently stirs her awake.

"Mmh," She moans, turning on her side. "Five more minutes, father... It's too early." Not getting a response, she opens one eye and looks around her. Panicking, she jumps up, sheets falling off of her naked body, her skin still grimy from last night's practice with her blade. She remembers then her circumstances and her whereabouts, and the moment of panic subsides. She stretches, spreading her arms out to her sides, then up and behind her back, working the kinks out of her muscles.

Her eyes scan the room, checking her belongings, and then rest on the chair with her clothes. Bending down, she takes her undergarments and puts those on first, obviously. Sliding her feet into her Bryda, careful not to step on fabric at the end, she fastens her waistband to keep the pants in place. She then takes her Vinati and slides it over the top of her head, holding her hands up as she does so. It rests on her chest, covering her bosom, and she twists her hands around to tighten the two cords in the back, so it didn't slip off. Clothes... Check. She says, mentally going through what she needed to do to prepare. Next... Ah, necklace and ring. She takes a short step from where she was standing to the desk, grabbing the necklace and hooking it over her head, the feather laying to rest almost in the center of her Vinati. Looking on the table for the navel ring, she see's the sun dully gleaming off it if, yet going through it at the same time, and picks it up. Deftly unclasping the small spike, she places it into her pierced navel, filling the small hole and clipping the spike back into place.

All dressed up, She opens the window, pulling from her bag a small loaf of bread. She rips half of it, grabbing one half in her mouth, the other she rips apart and spreads along the window sill. Sitting down in the chair, she chews thoughtfully, watching the early morning crowds walking by to take their baths, and to do other early-morning business. Maya contented herself with sitting, eating, and watching. Soon enough, a small robin alighted on the sill, pecking at the crumbs.

"Hello, little robin," Maya said, in Nari, her words seemingly mimicking the musical language of the birds. "How are you this morning?"

Just then, a blue-jay alights on the far side of the sill, eager to share in the breakfast of crumbs.

"Hello, little blue-jay," She says, smiling. "There's plenty of food for everybody." These small birds, they were beautiful creatures. Nasty hawks, She thought. Trying to call yourselves birds, yet all you share are feathers and wings. A large pigeon lands between the two song birds, scaring them away. "Coo," It says, gobbling up the bread.

"I suppose you can eat, too..." She said. Standing up, she see's the breadcrumbs are finished, and yawns. "Rat with wings," She adds, smirking, as the pigeon flies away. "Coo," It responds, heading west. Her smiles grows softer as she absorbs the newness of the morning, ready to face another day.
"The intellect of the wise is like glass; it admits the light of heaven and reflects it onto others." ~Augustus Hare
Maya
Player

Words: 38603
Joined roleplay: July 17th, 2010, 12:50 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet

[Syliras]Footholds[Open]

Postby Kane Roth on July 27th, 2010, 2:02 am

Already the city had awoke before Kane had the chance to stir in his bed, still deep in a dreamless sleep, and the sun had already made itself known before Kane had become aware. Rising slowly, Kane pushed himself up from where his face had laid buried in the mediocre pillow that the row had provided, his eyes still clouded with the fog of the night. Little memory remained of the painful reminder of his past, the late night occurrence being little more than a write-off of a nightmare of sorts, having filed it off in his mind as something to not pay much heed to. Inhaling deeply, Kane stretched as he made it to his feet, and made his way slowly over to the table where he'd left most of his belongings, all of them draped out as if to be inspected. Quickly he began to don some of the more necessary pieces of gear, chief among them his sword belt, with the secondary being the empty bota he'd drained the prior night after finally getting to his quarters. At least he didn't have to get up to work today, or so he thought until the memories of yesterday began to occur to him, most notably his obligation to Maya to take her to the Glassworks again, the time yesterday having failed to prove fruitful due to the late hour. Chiding his lack of response, Kane prepared to venture forth into the city, soon to be found with his feet clad in his leather boots, and with key in pocket stepped out, the daylight providing an intense contrast with the relative darkness in his apartment, and as his eyes adjusted he began towards Maya's abode.

Already the day proved to be a pleasant one, the sun providing enough warmth to take the edge off of the breeze, though it didn't heat the air to a suffocating degree; just as Kane preferred it. The climate of Syliras was quite enjoyable, in comparison to Sunberth, though it might've influenced Kane's by the lack of filth and crime on the streets, it still was an improvement. The denizens of the city had begun to come out in force as well, the first light of the day having begun to fade as the sun climbed higher in the sky, the many citizens going about their business, some to work and others to simply entertain themselves... Perhaps Kane's venture was a bit of both, he needed something to do, otherwise he'd have gone insane sitting around in his apartment waiting for the eighth to roll around. Still, it was doing good, a thing Kane'd found lacking in his recent history. The walk passed quickly, Kane soon finding himself only a stone's throw from Maya's apartment, and he could've sworn he'd heard... birds? Sure, there were plenty in and around the city, but the noise seemed to have originated around her apartment, and as he slowed to ponder the matter, Kane could see two birds flee as another arrived, all of them seeming to center their action around Maya's room. Odd. was all that came across his mind, and soon the third bird, he couldn't tell what it was, took flight and Kane risked a glance inside the window, where one could see Maya in the windowframe. Speaking as he approached, Kane allowed a small smile residence on his face, "Morning."
Kane Roth
Player

Words: 74098
Joined roleplay: July 15th, 2010, 3:35 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

[Syliras]Footholds[Open]

Postby Maya on July 27th, 2010, 4:44 am

Maya had been standing with her eyes closed, absorbing the smells and sounds of the city outside.

"Morning," came a voice from outside her window. She opens both eyes, surprised to see Kane standing there, smiling lightly.

"Good morning," She says, still in Nari. Sensing confusion on his face, and realizing what she had said, she repeated her greeting in Common. "Sorry, I was... Uh... Never mind." What would he think of you talking to birds, neh? Mocked the ever-present voice in her head. Probably call you a loon and run off, leaving you to fend for yourself.

"I would offer you for breakfast, but I don't have much..." She said, gesturing to her backpack. How much food could she fit in a bag like that, which also contained her other belongings? A weeks worth, at most.
"The intellect of the wise is like glass; it admits the light of heaven and reflects it onto others." ~Augustus Hare
Maya
Player

Character sheet

[Syliras]Footholds[Open]

Postby Kane Roth on July 27th, 2010, 5:47 pm

"Morning," she replied, seeming to have been distracted by something when he'd spoke earlier, but it was as it was, just none of his business. Some would undoubtedly think Kane, a man more suited for combat, to have his nose buried in a book would be unquestionably odd, so he paid the matter little heed, instead choosing to step closer, Maya speaking as he did, "Sorry, I was... Uh... Never mind. I would offer you for breakfast, but I don't have much..." Placing his hands up, Kane declined,

"I'm fine, I'll grab something later." As he finished he allowed his left palm to fall to its preferred resting spot on his sword's pommel, "Still wanting to head to the glassworks?"
Kane Roth
Player

Character sheet

[Syliras]Footholds[Open]

Postby Maya on July 28th, 2010, 6:32 am

After Kane declined her offer (or, rather, non-offer) of breakfast, he inquired whether or not Maya still wanted to seek out employment at the glass smithy she had so rudely been denied entry to yesterday evening.

"Yes, most definitely." She answered in reply. Or do I? Perhaps I should seek out an alternate area for which to live in, seeing as how whoever that was last night lives so close bye, or is at least staying there for a while, short or otherwise. Pondering to herself, she picked at non-existent lint on her Bryda. After ten seconds, she gets up, bolts the window, grabs her Sword & scabbard, as well as her waterskin, and holds these in her hands as she also decides to bring with her her coin purse as well. Picking up the small brass key to her apartment, she opens the door and locks it, dropping the key into her purse. She nervously glances down the street, towards the Baths, hoping that the stranger from room 284 didn't show up. At first glance, she saw nobody, and she sighed in relief. It was hard to miss that mans hulking figure, so chances were he either left earlier, or will leave later. Unless he leaves now. Kane doesn't look like he could take him. The two of you might be able to, but you never know, great big monster like him might snap you between his massive hands, and use you as a tooth pick. Or, more likely than not, He'll just kill Kane and drag you back to his room, where he'll... She derailed her train of thought by speaking, not wishing to be a passenger any longer.

"Lead the way." She said, motioning down the street.
Maya
Player

Character sheet

[Syliras]Footholds[Open]

Postby Kane Roth on July 28th, 2010, 4:17 pm

As Maya'd disappeared back into her apartment Kane looked about the street, trying to find something to busy himself with while she got her things collected for the day, and Kane was satisfied to watch the actions of a small group of people, two women and a man, standing about a door on the other side of the street, simply chattering away... Though soon enough Maya emerged from her room, locking the door behind her, and she began to glance further down the street, in a way that betrayed its nature easily; she feared something, but whatever it was Kane hadn't encountered it, at least not yet... But, what was there to fear in Syliras? Such a place was still almost beyond his imagination, the low levels of crime and the law enforcement... there was really little need of the blade resting on his hip, though habit begged that he keep it anyway. Maya, like himself, easily feared and at times judged too quickly, though at the moment the feeling seemed genuine enough, and Kane, though still practically a stranger, felt obligated to ask just what was the matter, though she soon cut off his thoughts, "Lead the way."

It was at this point Kane's blunt nature failed to do him any favors, choosing instead of the tactful route to pursue the subject at its source, "What is it that's bothering you?"
Kane Roth
Player

Character sheet

[Syliras]Footholds[Open]

Postby Maya on July 28th, 2010, 5:22 pm

"What is it that's bothering you?" Asked Kane. This one... thought Maya, He is too perceptive for his own good...

"Ah... Bothering me?" Replied Maya, not wanting to talk about it. "I'm not sure what you are getting at..."

Just then, down the street, a building or two over, a door opened. Doors opening were normal at this time of day, people getting ready for work and such. But this door was opened by the one person Maya would rather not see just now. The stranger from last night. She widens her eyes and looks away, looks behind her, then settles on looking at Kane.

"Everything's just fine."

The hulking figure was walking in the opposite direction, away from her, and she sighed. "Just fine... Let's just leave, alright?" She looked up at Kane, waiting for him to speak, or walk. Anything to move. If he looked behind him, he would see me and he would see where my apartment is.
Maya
Player

Character sheet

[Syliras]Footholds[Open]

Postby Armesi Rulf on July 28th, 2010, 6:24 pm

Armesi Rulf
"Let the unkown warn you, the myths caution you, and the known inspire you."

Stepping out of an alley way, Armeshi stopped to take in her surroundings. Glancing briefly at Maya due to her unusual red hair, she initially paid no heed to Roth. She had written him off as just another sword bearing - knight wannabe, running around with a stick in one hand and moral judgments in the other.

Glancing around curiously, she watched as a hulking figure entered the street from some building who's purpose eluded her. Glancing back to Roth, she placed one hand on her slung heavy crossbow, she un-capped her quiver with the other. Subtle, but safe. Clearing her throat softly, she let out a loud bellow. You never could be to careful.

"Hey you, man with the shiny splinter.. You look like your fit for violence, if nothing else. ..probably nothing else... where can I find some mercenary work?" she called out

The way she saw it, there was about sixty feet between herself and the being she had just called out. If things went sour, she would have enough distance for at least one good shot. ..and well she subconscious hoped that any knights passing by would back her up if needed.

After all Armeshi wasn't fearless, just blunt. While it was no secret Syliras had a strong reigning law enforcement, she had learned long ago to take no chances. It had become a matter of habit to make sure a decent distance was always between herself and new encounters. Having no home to call her own, she carried everything she owned upon her back - which made it very hard and often impossible to flee with any real haste.

Last edited by Armesi Rulf on July 28th, 2010, 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Armesi Rulf
Player

Words: 7822
Joined roleplay: July 28th, 2010, 3:51 am
Race: Ghost
Character sheet

[Syliras]Footholds[Open]

Postby Kane Roth on July 28th, 2010, 7:29 pm

"Ah... Bothering me? I'm not sure what you are getting at..." Avoiding the subject now, it was beginning to show that whatever it was meant more to her than she'd like to talk about. Still, such things teased Kane's curioisty, and as she glanced behind her every so often, she suddenly ceased doing such, turning instead to Kane, something odd present, both in her eyes and her voice, "Everything's just fine." Everything's fine like waking up at night to the yowls of a wolfpack... "Just fine... Let's just leave, alright?" Yes, something was amiss, though it seemed that if Kane pushed the subject here he'd get little in response, perhaps even alienate her, but it was odd that she was afraid, especially here of all places, the one place where soemone could truly be safe, at least in comparison to most places. So, Kane decided to do as she suggested, and motioning for her to follow, Kane turned about, ready to venture to the Glassworks, and perhaps find out a bit more on the matter, though he didn't get but a few steps before he was being questioned, by a woman of build larger than Maya, a couple inches taller, probably weighing a bit more, but the most obvious difference were the clothes she was clad in, clothes and armor in shades of ink and grey, quite intimidating, even if she lacked the height that Kane possessed.

"Hey you, man with the shiny splinter.. You look like your fit for violence, if nothing else. ..probably nothing else... where can I find some mercenary work?" Sighing as she finished, not catching the half of it thanks to the hustle and noise of the city around them, and with his right hand Kane motioned for her to come a bit closer, if for no other reason than to hear her, and hopefully find out a bit more about this mysterious newcomer.
Kane Roth
Player

Character sheet

[Syliras]Footholds[Open]

Postby Maya on July 28th, 2010, 7:59 pm

"Hey you, man with the shiny splinter.. You look like your fit for violence, if nothing else. ..probably nothing else... where can I find some mercenary work?" The armor-clad individual had just stepped out of the alleyway, Maya had noticed, the grey of her armor contrasting with the relative brightness of the morning.

Her eyebrows curl up, her lips pout, and her nose crinkles as Kane invites her to come closer. My, my, my... Aren't you just a lodestone for trouble... Maya was cautious when it came to new people, a shining example being the night before. However... She realized. If I don't start trusting people, I'll end up a hermit. She hides her expression from Kane, instead smiling and waving. When the stranger in grey armor came close enough, she said, "Maya," and held out her hand.
Maya
Player

Character sheet

Next