Location [Syliras Entrance] The Main Gates

Please post here first after registering!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Syliras Location] The Main Gates

Postby Kane Roth on July 15th, 2010, 6:05 pm

2 Su, 510 AV, Midday

The city of Syliras was an incredible sight, at least to Kane Roth, and not for its splendor and beauty alone, but for what it meant to him. It was a new beginning, a new life, away from the old one.

Still didn't change the fact of how far away the place was. Still had another few miles to go, but nothing compared to the journey here, no, another five miles or so was a cake walk in comparison. Still, even from far off it was beautiful, Kane's sunken eyes looking over the massive urban center from atop his paint, which was in stark contrast to himself, remarkably well fed, while if one could see within his clothing one would find a sunken belly, very faint ribs. All in all, Kane was near death, if he hadn't made it this far when he did he would've likely starved to death in the wilderness, but he'd been putting a little bit of food aside for a while now, had a good stockpile hoarded up. Been saving up for a celebration, a celebration he'd soon experience. Reaching around on his left he unslung the rucksack from his shoulders and brought it about, eagerly rooting through it with a zeal found rarely outside a starving beast for the small cloth sack he kept his food in. Quickly he found it and loosened its drawstring, taking out several pieces of dried rabbit meat to devour.

The farms began to blend together as Kane focused more and more on the food, time passing quite quickly as he began to empty the sack, the only acknowledgement made was to the odd farmer, to whom he simply gave a friendly nod before continuing with his meal, his drawn cheeks to the brim with food. It was as if he couldn't get enough food, and had to force himself to cease before he became violently ill, and begrudgingly retied the somewhat depleted sack back into his ruck, and after donning it turned his eyes back to Syliras, which was considerably closer now, only a mile or two, the paint carrying on at a steady pace. His woolen cloak seemed to act as an oven in the midday summer heat, though he refused to remove it, keeping his knife hidden in the back waistband of his trousers; too long had he lived in Sunberth, always ready for a fight, always looking over his shoulder. Perhaps he wouldn't need such habits in Syliras.

But perhaps he would. Things can always go wrong, and most often they do.

The gate loomed overhead sooner than he'd thought it would, and already excitement began to build in him, the twin ivory hued towers thrusting prominently into the vast expanse of blue above, looking to the two knights standing vigil at the gates he gave them a friendly nod as he rode on, though the reigns of his horse were seized as one of the knights eyed him cautiously, "Your horse seems to be in good shape, but... you don't look too good, friend." It was true, Kane's unusual wraithlike figure failed to suit either his build or his bone structure, but he simply replied, with a faint smile,

"Food's hard to come by in the wilderness." Eyeing him for a few moments longer the knight eventually nodded and gestured past the gate, into the city,

"Enjoy Syliras, and stay out of trouble. We keep a clean town." Nodding in response, he resumed his course into the city, hearing the guard call after him, "Good luck." Sighing, his chest heavy with apprehension he began rubbing his medallion between his thumb and index finger, and Kane muttured under his breath,

"I'll need it."
Last edited by Kane Roth on July 17th, 2010, 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kane Roth
Player

Words: 74098
Joined roleplay: July 15th, 2010, 3:35 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Jilitse on July 16th, 2010, 6:09 am

Jilitse arrives in Syliras
16th of Summer 510 AV
She's finally here.

A cloaked figure marched into the gates, a small wagon in tow. She's been here a hundred times before, but she was still treated with the same indifference. Syliras was one of the places in Mizahar that tolerated Nuits, as long as they keep dancing to the beat of the laws and rules. Jilitse took out the cloth covering her possessions. Just a couple of books, a few useful gadgets and some worn-out tools, and small golems. After the inspection, she was asked to state the purpose of her visit.

She whispered that she was traveling, and that she will be a transient in Syliras for an indefinite period of time. Jil inquired if there was any place that would hire a Nuit for a job, and the two guards exchanged silent glances. They said, of course there are, some people do not discriminate. One of them was clearly awed by her pretty face, the other scared if not terrified of her because of her race. She inquired about the Bazaar, if it was still where she remembered it to be. One of the Knights was polite enough to ask if she was looking for any place in particular. Jilitse answered that she was here to buy a few gadgets, and is looking for an undertaker. That earned raised brows. No, no, she was not looking for a body replacement. She's been around for a while, have visited every now and then to know the rules, she explained. Both the Knights looked relieved. She continued to explain that she was looking for a job, and perhaps preparation of bodies for the funeral pyre would be a welcome occupation, away from people who do not like nuits, and peaceful enough for a Nuit who wants to stay as inconspicuous as possible. They nodded to her logic. One of them gave her instructions and a few names.

She politely said goodbye and entered the city. Both Knights shrugged at her when she wasn't looking. They must have seen their share of weird visitors that they though Jilitse was only just another Nuit...
I. Vox Populi, Vox Dei
II. The Night the Watchtowers Cried

I am nothing special, of this I am sure. I am a common woman with common thoughts and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I've loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough.
Jilitse
I just arrived (again). Please be kind.

Words: 520837
Joined roleplay: March 5th, 2010, 8:22 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
GP's Angels (1)

Postby Taeghen on July 16th, 2010, 6:15 pm

16th of Summer, 510 AV

Taeghen could tell he was almost there. He could feel the cool sea breeze against his skin, taste the salt in the air. He was growing weary of the road, despite his love for it, and was looking forward to a good drink and a rest of a nice comfortable bed. The road from Zeltiva to Syliras was a long one, but luckily he had encountered no troubles this time around. The road could be a dangerous place, and while Taeghen could handle himself, he was glad he didn't have to use his sword on this trip.

Finally he could see the walls of Syliras, and could make out the guards waiting at the gates. He wondered if he would recognize any of them from his last visit, but that was many years ago. Syliras had always impressed him as a city, from its market to it's people to the Sylrian Knights. It was truly a wonder to behold, and he was glad to finally be here. When he reached the gates Taeghen stopped for a few minute's to chat with the guards, telling the he had come to deliver a message and to stay a few weeks. He dropped the note off with the guard's as he was instructed before leaving Zeltiva, then passed through the gate's.
So... My house was broken into while I was on vacation. Several valuables were stolen including my xbox, tv, my favorite sword, and obviously.. my computer. That's why I haven't posted in a while. Got a new computer now.. So I'm back. Will resume posting ASAP
Taeghen
Player

Words: 8421
Joined roleplay: July 15th, 2010, 4:41 pm
Character sheet

Postby Evarette Karmine on July 17th, 2010, 1:34 am

2nd Day of Summer - 510 AV

The first solid thought to emerge amidst all the confusion was that Syliras was home to a great many more types of people than Evarette had expected. Endrykas could swell with multitudes of Clans during certain times of the year...Particularly when families came from afar to participate in the seasonal horse trade. But, Eva's bewilderment had more to do with the diversity of Syliras's people more so than it's sheer numbers. She could not even name the homelands of half of those she'd met upon this road, and she had not even breached the gates.

Ah, the gates. They loomed before her, and as Evarette tipped her head back to drink in the spectacle, her weight shifted back and Ivar rocked to a halt. The Nightwalker snorted, dark ears switching atop his heavy skull as though posing an inquiry.

"Carry on, Ivar...I'm just marveling," Eva murmured, pressing her legs to his sides and settling into the large stallions easy gait. She looked as frail as a bird, perched atop his broad back. The season's changing had not fared well for her. She was out of Cyphrus, and out of her element. Foreign plants and animals had proven to be a challenge when it came to hunting and gathering, and Evarette had exhausted much of her supplies. Perhaps there will be work here... the hope was a fragile one, but a hope nonetheless. Unless her brother greeted her beyond the gates with open arms, she was going to be here a while, anyway...

With no more than a curious second glance passed over the huge Nightwalker atop which she rode, Evarette entered the gates to Syliras.
Evarette Karmine
My Heart is True as Steel

Words: 62165
Joined roleplay: November 29th, 2009, 4:56 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Vargarth on July 17th, 2010, 5:43 am

The warm air and the smell of the brisk sea filled Vargarth's sense of smell, and in a way brought back a long forgotten memory. He tried to blend in with the large crowd gathering near the gate, doing so would prevent him from getting seen.

The 2 guards looked at the crowd, all was well the people were going in smoothly and no trouble had started...yet. To Vargarth's dismay the guards had noticed him acting strangely as if he wanted to get somewhere and fast. "Halt! State your name and business!" ordered one of the guards, as the other looked at a drawing.

Vargarth was full of lies and gave out a false name, "My name is Jone Braken, I am here to visit George Braken." The guards began talking to eachother in a whisper and then replied, "You may pass we will tell George Braken of your arrival."

Vargarth was soon on his way...He had done it, he made it in!
Vargarth
Player

Words: 1176
Joined roleplay: July 12th, 2010, 9:51 pm

Postby Maya on July 17th, 2010, 4:16 pm

5th of Summer, 510 AV

A horse-drawn cart, laden with goods, stops roughly 30 yards from the gates. The party of merchants and men-for-hire traveling with the cart huddle around near the back and converse amongst themselves. Two of them embrace, and pull their hoods off.

Maya, standing 5'3", looks tiny next to her 6' father. She stares up at him and he down at her, with this last parting look and embrace.

"I will miss you, father." she said.

"I know..." he replied.

"Why can't I go with you?"

"It's... It's complicated. Maya, you are 19. We got you out of Wind Reach so you could do things for yourself, learn, explore! You can't hang on to my coattails forever."

"You're right, of course, but..."

"I am leaving you with a few things to get you started in your new life." At this, he motioned to one of the other merchants and a leather backpack was retrieved from the cart and brought to her. She took it without a word.

“Will I ever see you again?”

“Of course, Maya, don’t worry. I will come visit you soon.”

“Good bye, father.”

“Good bye”

Maya wordlessly turns around, trying not to let her tears overflow. She walks towards the castle gates looming ahead, ready to begin a new life, yet having trouble letting go of her old one. She could hear the sound of the cart being turned around and the grumble of the merchants as they try to get the horses to cooperate. She blinked and the tears escaped the jail of her eyes, cascading down her face silently. She lifted up her sleeve, wiped the tears away, and approached one of the guards.

“Hello, Ma’am,” said the guard. “What are you crying about?”

“I seek entrance to the city.” She said, bluntly, stifling her tears.

“Well, you’re forward, aren’t you? I’ll need to examine your bags.”

“Fine.” Maya shrugs the backpack off and opens the top flap, showing its contents to the guard.

“Everything seems to be in order. Welcome to Syliras, and have a nice stay.”

Maya had walked off with her things by the time the guard said ‘order’. The guard shook his head and turned around to return to his guard-like duties.

This place… It’s so foreign to me… She thought. First thing’s first. I need to find lodging.

She looked about at the myriad of buildings, wondering where she should start…
"The intellect of the wise is like glass; it admits the light of heaven and reflects it onto others." ~Augustus Hare
Maya
Player

Words: 38603
Joined roleplay: July 17th, 2010, 12:50 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet

Postby Blackthawne on July 21st, 2010, 10:48 am

Blackthawne's Arrival
16th of Summer, Early Morning, 510 AV.

Blackthawne's eyes gazed in awe at the magnificent city stretching out before his eyes as he plodded up the path to the main gates. He'd been travelling on foot for quite some time now, and was unbelievably tired. He waited in a queue of many different races and appearances of people, with his right hand firmly gripping his rucksack strap, and the other resting on his swords pommel.

"I can't believe I finally made it here..."

Muttering under his breath as he stared at the great gates he was mere minutes away from passing under, he began to contemplate his journey. After losing his parents he had spent years wandering around aimlessly, writing... Now, he had a purpose. His uncle, his only surviving blood-relative, had told him to seek his future in Syliras, and here he was.

"State your purpose of visit, and show your belongings Sir."

Ah yes, the guards... Flicking his hood down to reveal his firey red hair, Blackthawne unfastened his scabbard and set it aside, before swinging his rucksack onto the ground, and unfastening a pair of bellt-buckle fastenings, opened the rucksack to display its contents. Needless to say, all of it was camping, and cooking utensils, bar the clothing he wore on his body.

"I am here to seek the Knights that reside in the city, and perhaps take up residence within the city walls."

Apparantly, the answer was sufficient to earn him entry. Before he walked away though, he asked where the bathhouses were, and someplace he could grab some food. Thanking the guards for his information, he walked into Syliras with a smile on his face... First stop, food. Later, he would visit the Soothing Waters Bath Houses....
Blackthawne
The thorn of the Black Rose.

Words: 7799
Joined roleplay: July 20th, 2010, 10:51 pm
Character sheet

Postby Rhuryc on July 21st, 2010, 9:31 pm

10th of Summer, 510 AV

Clack. Clack. Clatter. That horse needed reshod.

The jovial cacophony of the arriving crowd had long since fascinated Rhuryc. Their attitude, the expectations, the strange, peculiar airs that each merchant, traveler, and vagabond brought with them; all of it compounded to form a unique phenomenon that existed nowhere else in the sprawling castle made city. Yet the sights and disgruntling smells were only half the fact. The true draw of the event were the sounds. The smack of hooves on cobble, rickety wagon wheels with too heavy a load, hefty leather boots among chain mail, the soft, waving skirts of silken gowns, and the assailing chorus of voices that soared into the morning air, somehow concordant to one another as if they were part of a divine orchestration. A few musing tones changed pitch often. The melody of the gate was one of an ever-shifting paradigm, an enchanting, beautiful hum that beset any whom cared to notice.

And so went the young man's morning ritual. Poised with regard to the traffic, Rhuryc lay against the side of a quaint establishment just inside the gate, prone to loiter as he kept a subtle gaze focused on the inner workings of the walled metropolis. His form, while easy to disregard, was none-the-less a persistent fixture with the morning sun, if ephemeral in intent. He watched for the better passing of an hour, marking unique individuals from among their peers and prolonging certain sights at the occasional lady, the latter often ending in a well-practiced break of concentration in the form of a quick, darting glance away. His mind worked on the idea of joining on the of the merchant caravans. Perhaps he would just walk outside, follow the road and never look back. Such musing lead his thoughts on a glorious adventure, a break from the norm of civility; princesses to rescue, dangerous beasts to slay. Truly, such astonishing might was to be had just beyond those gates.

With shoulders haunched, Rhuryc rolled back the sleeves of his long, leather coat and dropped his hands into a pair of abused pockets. He pushed himself off the strong stone structure and set off at a leisurely pace inward in the direction of the Ironworks. Perhaps tomorrow.
Rhuryc
Honorific

Words: 466305
Joined roleplay: July 21st, 2010, 7:22 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Lookos on July 22nd, 2010, 3:56 am

12th of Summer, 510AV

As I approached the gates I noticed several sturdy men in armor leaning against the massive gates. It was early.... The market wouldn't be open yet. The guards looked up in surprise me ( I couldn't blame them, Why would a man be here at this hour...). One stood up straight, and approached Me.
Welcome to Syliras. What brings you to our fine city?

I mumbled some incoherent reply, and he pressed further.
What brings you to the city so early? It's barely 4:00! The markets won't open till at least 6:00....

"I'm just an early riser, and I don't have problems with waiting." I answered not wanting to be pressed.

He cocked an eyebrow at the non-committal response, but nodded and said...
All right you can enter, but remember this is a crime free city. DO NOT cause any trouble

why won't they just let me go.... I don't need a lecture

I answered curtly " sure", and quickly walked through the open gate.

Lookos
Currently Retired

Lookos
The call of the wild

Words: 10737
Joined roleplay: July 18th, 2010, 5:20 am
Character sheet

Postby Nero Czan on July 24th, 2010, 1:23 am

14th of Summer, 510 AV.

The weary traveler, astride an equally weary Strider, casually strolled under the familiar gate once more. Long gone was the endless sands of The Burning Lands, and the tall meadows of his home of Endrykas. After a gruesome search, the Slaver mystery remained half-solved, and it boiled down to a simple disappearance. Naomi was always a bit of a free spirit anyways, and this was no shocker to Nero. He shrugged to himself as his mind had a completely casual, and by now Normal, conversation about the matter, with himself.

It was time to return back to his 'Brooding Grounds' as he called him, and perhaps find himself a healthy dose of Adventure. He had worn out his Love circuits, for a while. And by a while, it'd be about a few... Hours. At the most. But one thing Nero needed more than Anything at that moment, was a drink, a nice, hard, Pint. And that slack-jawed, half-dead expression would do just the trick...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Image
Nero Czan
"Lead by Example, Protect by Force."

Words: 121734
Joined roleplay: November 28th, 2009, 2:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet

PreviousNext