Reimancy Questions

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Reimancy Questions

Postby Ollic Rimesage on August 13th, 2013, 3:43 am

I have been reading in the lore about reimancy, but still remain confused on a few topics, and I would like to ask a few questions about them here. I am sorry if some of these questions have already been asked and answered, since I have only looked so far back in the questions and answers forum. My main focus is entirely on the concept of air reimancy as well as para-elements, so I hope there are some new questions being asked here. Any and all help is strongly encouraged.

Question One - Projection & Air Reimancy - Is there a big difference?: Reading about the lore of reimancy, I have been questioning whether or not there is a big difference on projection and air reimancy. The way you create your magic is different, one being with the manifestation of the fluid called Res and the other being parted from one's astral body. However, thinking things over, are you able to move things with both? One is using more of a telekinetic factor and the other more of the actual air being changed, but in the end are you doing the same thing?

Question Two - Initiation Thoughts: I have read that to become one in learning more about reimancy, no matter what element, there needs to be an initiation. How would I come to proceeding in such an initiation? Is this a moderated thread or a self-moderated thread? I understand the pain and the whole concept of such an initiation, but how would I be able to contact someone who could help me take part in such an event? Would I have to contact my domain storyteller or would I need someone more advanced in the specific trait of magic? This player here did not have a moderator helping his role-play his initiation, yet this player here is moderated by Rage, whom I assume to be a retired moderator. Or can this be somewhat avoidable if I were to include reimancy as a starting package skill? He would have already learnt of reimancy clearing written as a skill point or would I still have to include a flashback of initiation?

Question Three - The Overgiving Factor of Air Reimancy: There is always an over giving factor and problems resulting in using too much res and reimancy magic, but unlike fire of which can burn you, what would being out of control with air cause? I am not saying that trying to control the res and manifest air doesn't come with side-effects and problems, but I was wondering what could happen as a result of too much overgiving? The minor side-effects I have read about and have understood and have tried to think about how they could work into my history if I were to do a flashback thread of his initiation. Anti-social behaviour could play a great part in how his reimancy affects him as he is trying to progress in such a dangerous part of magic.

Question Four - Relation of the Concept: To put things in more of a way I can understand, does air reimancy relate to the Jedi's force from Star Wars or does this clash with projection? I am still confused on the complete differences between air reimancy and projection other than the fact of how it is done, but if you were to relate it to something, would a Jedi's force manipulation work to try to explain how air reimancy works?

Question Five - Details in Practising Reimancy Magic: I would love to have some sort of background knowledge on the details of how to write out a thread about practising and using one's power of air reimancy. More so, I was wondering if there were any threads previously made that someone who link me to so that I could get an idea of how to use reimancy. So that I stay in line with the respected power of a novice level, I was wondering how much I could do and how much I couldn't do? Would I be able to cast out a ball of air and send someone off of their feet at, let's say, a level 10 reimancy novice? Would I only be allowed to blow out a candle with a flick of air generated res at a level 5 reimancy novice? What are my limits, how would I describe my actions in practising reimancy and are there any examples I could go by, with of course, adding in my own inspirations as to not copy and steal another player's work?

Question Six - Relatable Skills to Reimancy: This question is very self explanatory and easy to explain. Are there any necessary or helpful skills to aid in using reimacy? I assume meditation would be a resourceful one, but to be more in depth, would other magic skills help in progressing the art of reimancy?

Question Seven - Para-elements and their Connection with a Main Element: To be a novice, you are only allowed to use one element, to be advanced, two and so on. But how does one know to advance to using new elements besides the fact that their skill points have progressed to a competent level? One day, is the player just practising his technique when they are able to control water instead of air? Is their a more prioritized element that a player would like to use more than the others? How is the whole concept done, mixing two elements together? To make fire, you create a ball of res in your hand, and ignite the ball, but to add in air to create lightning, how would you describe your actions in doing so?

Question Eight - The Users of Magic: A very simply stated question. Who are the most common races to use magic? Could a Symenestra use magic even though they aspire to become healers, worshipping the goddess Viratas? Could a ghost become a magician even though they cannot touch and aren't usually seen? Can a Charoda become a reimancer when the majority of the time live underwater? I would like to be open about all the different races in which you are allowed to use magic, understanding the idea that magic is frowned upon in most cities and settlements.

These are all my questions on reimancy, and I assure you I have read over the lore at least a few times. I needed a more explained, detailed idea on reimancy so that I don't do anything wrong or not allowed if I were to have my character study such a skill as magic. Some of the lore was confusing to me and I was wanting a little more back-story of specific questions that had come to my mind. All help is needed and I appreciate everyone's time in reading over this topic.

-Ollic Rimesage

I am back from my time in recovery and I will be happy to pick up on the roleplaying I left for a while. It feels so good to be back and I am looking forward to expanding Ollic's experience!
Ollic Rimesage
A Problematic Doctor

Words: 212499
Joined roleplay: August 2nd, 2013, 11:48 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Reimancy Questions

Postby Shiyami on August 13th, 2013, 10:43 pm

EDIT: Useless info I gave...skip this post...
Last edited by Shiyami on August 15th, 2013, 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
See if I have given you a nickname here!
Click me please~!
Shiyami
Death's Shadow

Words: 125205
Joined roleplay: July 14th, 2013, 3:29 am
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Reimancy Questions

Postby Ollic Rimesage on August 13th, 2013, 11:10 pm

I think you answered partially to one of my questions, but I still remain open to other help.

Does anyone else have answers for me?
Last edited by Ollic Rimesage on August 13th, 2013, 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I am back from my time in recovery and I will be happy to pick up on the roleplaying I left for a while. It feels so good to be back and I am looking forward to expanding Ollic's experience!
Ollic Rimesage
A Problematic Doctor

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Reimancy Questions

Postby Kit Rowan on August 13th, 2013, 11:11 pm

x
That does not answer all his questions at the same time in any way shape or form.

1: I am honestly not sure how to approach this question, because I don't understand how you could think they were both the same. Nonetheless the answer is no. Once transmuting air, you are only able to move it for a few seconds before you lose control of it. It is far less precise and far more fire-and-forget than projection is, if that makes sense. There's probably a better way of explaining the differences between the two, which I would be grateful if someone else could elaborate on.

2: Presumably, when Hadrian was initiated he was using an NPC that he had either asked the storytellers for or requested in the help desk, and turned to his local ST and asked whether it was okay for him to learn magic from them. My character is learning auristics in a similar way at this very moment. On the other hand, you could ask to be initiated in thread by a storyteller. Presuming they thought this was reasonable and were not too busy with other things, they could ST this for you. And you can be initiated in character by other PCs, if you can convince them to do it.

3: Uh, the spell not going in the direction you wanted? The spell going too wide? The spell detonating prematurely and throwing you back? Get creative, and I'm sure you can figure it out.

4: No it would not. They are entirely separate things and not similar at all.

5: Afraid I can't. Your best bet is to stand on the conservative side of the line and change it up when a storyteller asks. And besides, if you knew exactly
what your limits were, the mods would never be able to give you surprise overgiving, which is considered part of the risk of using magic.

6: I do not believe this is so. However you could make it slightly easier on yourself with glyphing. You could draw glyphs on your hands that could make the emission of res faster and easier and add to your control.

7: You don't actively learn it, so you just become able to make more elements one day. As far how you learn you can do it, as long as you don't contradict the lore pick a method and run with it.

As far as para-elements go, it's not something you mix after the fact. So you're not smashing fire and air together to make lightning. You just transmute lightning.

8: Syms have a god, not a goddess, and I don't think that they are a society focused so much on healing considering how they maintain it. Ghosts can know magic from their prior life but learning it after seems like it would be a horrible bother. Frankly, if a race uses magic more than others it is probably listed in their lore.
x
Unless Otherwise Stated, Expect Kit To Have Already Disguised Herself With Illusionism As 'Shy' In Every Ravok Thread.
Kit Rowan
Acrobat, Sorceress, Rogue

Words: 433379
Joined roleplay: April 29th, 2011, 11:37 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (2)

Reimancy Questions

Postby Ollic Rimesage on August 13th, 2013, 11:33 pm

Thank you so much for this insight. I found this much more helpful than the previous player. It's just sometimes hard to get creative whilst still knowing your boundaries, at least for me. I don't want to cross the line and become in trouble. Is there a skill of magic you prefer?

I was more thinking this in terms of a different character. A nuit to be more precise. I was just confused on the differences between projection and air reimancy. You have cleared up some of my misunderstandings and I am thankful for that.

I am still drawing up ideas of how to create an initiation or by using an NPC and so forth. Magic can be so difficult, and dangerous, yet so interesting all at the same time.

Ollic Rimesage
A Problematic Doctor

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Reimancy Questions

Postby Wrenmae on August 14th, 2013, 5:04 pm

I believe, to expound on Kit's point, that Projection is essentially moving around an invisible version of a limb to do things that limbs often do, whereas air reimancy is just throwing wind gusts at people and things. It would be hard to manipulate or control multiple direction of an object with air reimancy. Likewise control only works so long as part of it is still res. So, you set the outside of a res ball on fire and then can move it so long as part of it is still res. Once it is an element, it falls out of your control...unless you use res to attract it back.

Also, in terms of overgiving...you should note reimancy mutations. If you overused wind, your arm might convert into wind and you'd lose the arm. Mutations are one of the unique consequences of overgiving with reimancy that few people play...but it should be noted that it's a very dangerous and distinct possibility.

Hair to fire, skin to stone, eyes to water, finders to air...they just turn into the element and then you deal with that.

Any race can theoretically learn reimancy...but it's more common in some than others. Take consideration to decide why you want magic with your pc...a lot of folk just have the magic without a good explanation or core reason. Not to suggest you don't have one, but magic is dangerous and mistrusted...or at least should be played that way, so you need to decide why he would delve down this dangerous road of self damnation and suspicion :P

I think I expounded on the points that should be mentioned...if you have any other questions or require clarification, let me know.

Sig by Shausha

This PC has the Blight gnosis. As such, you as a player need to be aware of what that consists of. Wrenmae has an invisible aura that amplifies sickness and disease. Wounds may become infected, small sneezes may become coughing, and a slight fever may become more serious. A nuit's body will also break down faster in the presence of the Blight. These effects may not be immediate, but within the few days following your encounter, the symptoms will manifest. Some sooner than others. I cannot control your character, so creativity will be left up to you. Best wishes and stay healthy!

Special shoutout to Fallon for my new CS
Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Words: 1276299
Joined roleplay: April 15th, 2011, 6:34 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Reimancy Questions

Postby Ollic Rimesage on August 14th, 2013, 5:15 pm

Thank you all for your answers! I think I have wrapped my head around this topic more now than I did a few days ago. I appreciate all of your replies and have a better idea on the thought of magic, especially reimancy.

-Ollic

Ollic Rimesage
A Problematic Doctor

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes