The Widow Konrath's Tea Room

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This subforum is for small businesses that do not require extensive subforums for organization. These Small Business Sheets are simply posted records of what a business is for, its expenses, its debt and the profit it makes.

Postby J'aqil Konrath on July 7th, 2013, 1:54 pm

THE WIDOW KONRATH'S TEA ROOM

Business Type:
Goods and Services

Goods Offered:
Finger Sandwich, Simple/Gourmet - 12cm/24cm
Jam/Jelly by the Jar, Local - 60cm
Pastry, Sweet, Simple/Gourmet - 20cm/40cm
Pastry, Savory, Simple/Gourmet - 18cm/36cm
Tea by the Bag, Local/Imported - 2cm/4cm
Tea by the Cup, Local/Imported - 1sm/2sm
Tea by the Tin, Local/Imported - 2sm/4sm

Document, Forged/"Certified" - 3gm/6gm

Services Offered:
Catering, High Tea/Brunch for 4 - 1gm/2gm
Tea Reading, Informal/Formal - 2gm/4gm

Information, Verbal, Hearsay/Verified - 1gm/3gm
Information, Written, Hearsay/Verified - 2gm/6gm

Base Income:
4gm/day as a Shopkeeper

Skill Bonus:
2gm/day for Competent Leadership

Sale's Bonus:
1gm/day for Growing Core Merchandise

Total Income, Including Bonus:
7gm/day minus Payroll of 3.5gm/day = 3.5gm/day, 318.5-322gm/season, 1277.5gm/year

Assets - Staff:
  • 3gm/day : 1 Bartender (Barista) to Assist in Food Prep, Retail Sales and Serving (Freeborn Grade)
  • .5gm/day : 1 Slave for Menial Tasks, Including Food Prep, Gardening and Shop Maintenance (Konrath Owned)
Total Payroll:
3.5gm/day

Assets - Land and Structures:
  • 150gm : 1/8 of an Acre of Land, 5445 sq. ft., City Grade, Includes Ornamental Fencing and Landscaping
  • 1500gm : Courtyard, 400 sq. ft., Elaborate Grade, Includes Brick Paths, 4 Iron Benches, 1 Small Fountain and Various Garden Statuary
  • 100gm : Washroom, 100 sq. ft., Modified Simple Grade Bath, Freestanding, Includes One Wash Basin and One Chamber Pot
  • 125gm : Tool Shed, 200 sq. ft., Modified Simple Grade Storage, Freestanding, Includes Hooks for Tools
  • 2500gm : 1/2 Dining Space, 800 sq. ft., Elaborate Grade, Seats 14, Includes 7 Fine Grade Tables, 14 Fine Grade Chairs, 1 Large Stone Fireplace and 24 Fine Grade Wall Sconces, as well as Various Wall Hangings and Decorative Accessories
  • 200gm : 1/4 Prep Kitchen, 100 sq. ft., Simple Grade, Includes 1 Wood-Burning Stove, a Small Pantry and a Small Scullery Space
  • 150gm : 1/4 Shop Space, 100 sq. ft., Simple Grade, Includes 1 Small Display Case and 1 Small Storage Cabinet
Total Cost for Land and Structures (-25% for Mass Building, Not Including Courtyard):
3957gm : 4445 sq. ft./138 ft. by 138 ft. = Garden, Courtyard, Washroom and Tool Shed, 1000 sq. ft./31 ft. by 31 ft. = Tea Room, Prep Kitchen and Tea Shop

Rough Layout :

Assets - Equipment, Furnishings, Linens and Tools:
  • 12sm : Aprons, 4 for Staff
  • 36cm : Bags, 36 for Retail Tea for Shop Space
  • 5sm : Bucket, 2 gal., 1 for Cleaning Shop and Watering Garden
  • 2sm : Chamber Pot, 1 Spare for Washroom
  • 20sm : Cooking Pots, 2 gal., 4 for Prep Kitchen
  • 16gm : Cupboards, Fine Grade, 2 for Prep Kitchen
  • 6sm : Cutting Boards, 2 for Prep Kitchen
  • 10cm : Dishes, 10, 5 in., 8 oz. Bowls for Sugar
  • 1gm : Dishes, 20, 8 oz. Tea Cups
  • 1gm : Dishes, 20, Tea Cup Saucers
  • 60cm : Dishes, 10, 6 oz. Jars for Butter/Jams/Jellies
  • 10sm : Dishes, 10, 16 oz. Jugs for Tea
  • 50sm : Dishes, 10, 2-Quart Pitchers for Milk/Water
  • 1gm : Dishes, 20, 5 in. Plates
  • 1gm : Dishes, 3, Three-Tiered Serving Trays
  • 6cm : Flint & Steel Kit, 1 for Prep Kitchen
  • 11gm : Garden Tools: 1 Crowbar, 1 Hoe, 1 Pitchfork, 1 Rake, 1 Shovel and 1 Spade
  • 1gm : Menu Board w. Chalk, 1 for Dining Space
  • 6sm : Mop, 1 for Cleaning Shop
  • 28gm : Napkins, Fine Grade, Linen, 28 for Dining Space
  • 24sm : Parchment, 12 Sheets for Brokering
  • 60sm : Plant Seeds, Tea, Local, 12 Packs for Garden
  • 6gm : Plant Seeds, Tea, Imported, 6 Packs for Garden
  • 10cm : Quills, 2 for Brokering
  • 5sm : Rags w. Scrubbing Handles, 36/4 for Cleaning Shop
  • 4gm : Shelf Set, Fine Grade, 1 for Shop Space
  • 1gm : Sealing Wax for Brokering
  • 9cm : Serving Utensils, 3 Pastry Slicers
  • 9cm : Serving Utensils, 3 Pastry Tongs
  • 20cm : Silverware, 20 Pastry Forks
  • 20cm : Silverware, 20 Spread Knives
  • 20cm : Silverware, 20 Teaspoons
  • 5sm : Soap, Fine Grade, Scented, 6 Bars for Washroom and Prep Kitchen
  • 28gm : Tablecloths, Fine Grade, Linen, 14 for Dining Space
  • 72cm : Tins, 36 for Retail Tea for Shop Space
  • 35gm : Vases, 7 for Dining Space
  • 1gm : Vial of Ink for Brokering
  • 5gm : Wash Basin, Good Grade, 1 for Prep Kitchen
Total Cost of Equipment, Furnishings, Linens and Tools:
162gm, 5sm, and 72cm

Debt:
4119gm, 5sm, and 72cm Owed (515gm Paid Each Season) to the Konrath Family by the First Day of Fall 515 AV
Last edited by J'aqil Konrath on August 19th, 2013, 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J'aqil Konrath
Coffee, Tea or an Arrow in the Knee?

Words: 4757
Joined roleplay: May 23rd, 2013, 1:59 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet

Postby Gillar on August 19th, 2013, 9:32 am

Howdy,

Overall this is a well thought-out business plan with a lot of detail. However, there are a few things that need to be addressed before approval is given.

You can only gain income from one profession. So it would be either Shopkeeper OR Information Broker. Seeing as how this is a Tea House, you may want to go with Shopkeeper and perform the Information Broker tasks on the side. Forgery and information transfer can gain you money in-thread.

That said, your base income will be less. As a Shopkeeper with L1 Leadership you would have a base income of 4 gm. Now, I can see a Sales Bonus of 20% added to that from your growing and processing your own tea which would effectively bring you to a total of 5 gm (4 gm for Shopkeeper + 1 gm Sales Bonus). Unfortunately, since the primary purpose of the shop seems to be to sell tea and light food (while offering a bit of information/intelligence on the side), a skill bonus based on gardening wouldn't really apply in this case.

Unfortunately, this would lead us to the staff. While you still have enough of a base income to afford your listed staff, it does not leave you with a lot left over (only 1.5 gm per day).

Since your character is still new and able to be modified, I would offer this suggestion. Maybe swap your Gardening skill with your Leadership skill so that you have Novice Gardening and Competent Leadership. This would still fall in line with the skill requirements for your family while granting you the extra income to maintain business success and allow you the staff you want. You would also be able to keep your Sales Bonus for growing your own tea (giving it a personalized touch and brand). If you were to go this direction, your Base Income would be Shopkeeper with L2 Leadership (6 gm) plus the Sales Bonus (1 gm) for a total of 7 gm. Subtract your staff costs of 3.5 and this leaves you with 3.5 gm / day. If you do various threads regarding the selling of information/forged documents, you could bring in even more. You could also do fortunetelling threads and charge for that as well which could gain you even more money still. As you progress, your Leadership skill will increase through Job threads and Seasonal Xp which in turn will significantly increase your income.

Also, while your breakdown of maintenance and supply replacement costs are indeed detailed and well-thought out, they are unnecessary as far as added cost is concerned since all maintenance and supply costs are built into the business plan system.

Another suggestion, and this isn't essential to approval, but maybe instead of a Clerk, go with a Bartender (Barista-style) who can perform similar functions to the Clerk but also be flexible enough to fill in elsewhere. You could also give them a skill in cooking/food preparation to compliment the slave's skills.

Technical details mentioned above aside, I think you have a strong idea with great potential. With some slight tweaking, I think you can end up with a good starting business with room to expand and grow.
Gillar
Forging the World

Words: 1345407
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 6:44 pm
Race: Isur
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby J'aqil Konrath on August 19th, 2013, 5:22 pm

Updated!

I made pretty much all of the changes you suggested and I reallocated the funds I was once spending on replacement items to pay for an elaborate courtyard. If it is okay with you, I kept the courtyard out of the mass building and didn't take a discount on it, since I would like to rp having it built at the start of the Fall season. I think it will be fun to have a bit of construction going on to add an extra layer of stress (and humor) to owning and operating a business.

Anywho. Thank you for taking the time to review, recommend corrections, and - hopefully - approve my business plan! This was far more difficult than I had ever thought it would be, but I firmly believe it will be well worth the time and effort it took to make it happen.

Sincerely,
J'aqil
J'aqil Konrath
Coffee, Tea or an Arrow in the Knee?

Words: 4757
Joined roleplay: May 23rd, 2013, 1:59 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet

Postby Gillar on August 25th, 2013, 7:46 am

Approved!

As with all Business approvals, I am only approving the Business Plan itself. Final approval belongs to the Storyteller in charge of the city you are setting up in. This includes the final details of the business. Final approval for NPCs and their details is also required and is separate from the business plan approval.
Gillar
Forging the World

Words: 1345407
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 6:44 pm
Race: Isur
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)