Location [Syliras Location] The Ironworks

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Re: [Syliras Location] The Ironworks

Postby Fia Eaven on September 27th, 2009, 8:20 pm

Fia smiled at Roz's initial confusion. Her looks were tempered with good humor and showed no offense.

The girl jutted out her calloused hand for a shake. She was a rube, but she wasn't a rude one.
"Afternoon, Sir. I'm Fia Eaven. And you'd be right, I'm looking for work."
Her voice was feminine but steady, she didn't shout or swagger to diminish her sex. Something about her common lilted, betraying she was not city born.
"I used to work in my family's smithy, so I have some experience making weapons, locks and doing decorative designs."
Fia continued in her quick attempt at persuasion.
"I'd help with all kinds of things, but the female fighters especially liked to have me work on their weapons. A woman's touch if you will." She gave a quick smile.
"Helps with getting the right heft if the smithy holds it like you would."
Her pitch slowed to leave room for a response.
"I wager there's more lady fighters in Syliras than where I'm from."
Fia Eaven
May She Live Like Some Green Laurel

Words: 74775
Joined roleplay: August 29th, 2009, 5:03 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Gossamer on September 29th, 2009, 5:52 pm

Argis

Ros took the hand, shook on it, and smiled. "I look forward to the additional help." There was no question in his mind this Isur could help him. It was not as if a stranger off the street walked in and claimed things they had no right too. Isur away from Kalea were family. That was the beginning and ending of how Ros felt. They needed to stick together, and if a fellow Isur needed a job, he was not going to deny him one. The eight mizas a day he offered was in truth a small fortune, most jobs paid in the silver or even copper - though Argis might not understand that. Blacksmiths, especially weaponsmiths made a great deal of money. Eight mizas a day in no time would buy him his own place - if he wanted - and wealth beyond what most people ever saw.

But time would show him that. Later not sooner.

As Argis went to explore the apartment, he would find a spacious living area, fully furnished, with a kitchen hearth, bedroom, and a small patio that spilled out onto a courtyard that all the residents shared together. If he went to look over the forge, he'd find the forge manager, a human by the name of Zilan, who'd assign him a workstation, his own section of the forge (which actually ran the length of the building) and point out where the backlog stock was located, with their orders. He'd find broken equipment, weapons that needed fashioned, wheel rims that needed repaired, various farm impliments, dozens of iron that needed to be made into flat strips to sell to the farriers - untold projects awaiting prioritizing and completion. There was definitely no lack of work, and no end to the variety of it available. But as Zilan assured him, there was no need to start today.. he could get settled and then begin when he wanted too.

OOC NOTEFeel free to start a new thread with your job at the forge.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Nickorius on October 3rd, 2009, 6:41 pm

Fia Eaven

Argis stroked his chin, "Hmmmmm..." was all the response that could be forced out of him for the time being. He needed a few moments to mull the idea over in his mind. A woman in the forge? He could see nothing wrong with it himself, should it be the right woman. The only question was 'is this the right woman?' He supposed he should at least give her a chance.

"I can't deny your offer makes much sense... though, I never hire smiths on the spot. A bad business practice, it is. I'll give you one chance, as I would any other smith. You can come to the forge later tonight and create an item of your choosing. Then I will judge, by the quality of your work, if you are fit for a forge such as this. Does that sound good for you?"

For some reason, Argis was nervous about this. Despite the fact that he was in need of another smith to get the Ironworks back up to a comfortable speed for everyone, the thought of a woman in the forge unnerved him a little. Though he was ashamed of it, he almost doubting the wisdom in letting her try out. It didn't matter now, the offer was on the table and he could have himself a woman in the forge by daybreak.
Nickorius
Harvester of Souls

Words: 13932
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2009, 9:53 pm
Office

Postby Nya Winters on October 4th, 2009, 6:24 am

TS: 30th of Summer (Grandfathered with Permission – Brief Self Moderated because of this thread)

Nya carefully slipped into the forge and did something she thought she'd never do. The kelvic purchased to items made of iron. The first was a small hand axe for 6 GM that she'd use in the woods to help build shelter. Now that she wasn't alone, Nya felt like she needed to start building things sturdier or chopping wood more nicely and a small hand axe would do nicely for that. Secondly, she bought a set of two daggers, the sturdy type that was too large for eating and too small for fighting. One she'd gift to Abashai, and the other she'd keep for herself for cutting rope and doing the sort of work teeth and claws were ill suited for. Her purchase was made in haste, without her making eye contact with the Isur who sold her the items, and after the 8 GM was handed over, she disappeared rapidly out of the forge.
Nya Winters
Let the winds in my heart blow...

Words: 784686
Joined roleplay: June 7th, 2009, 6:53 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Trailblazer (1) Never Say Die (1)
Donor (1) 2017 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2017 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Fia Eaven on October 4th, 2009, 11:49 pm

A warm relief spread through Fia, showing in a comfortable smile.
"Of course. I understand your way of thinking, I don't like making decisions in haste either, or without seeing some proof."

She paused a moment, thinking on the challenge she was given. The time constraint bothered her. If the weapon couldn't be ground she'd look a fool unless she was making a crude metal club.

"Could I get it to be split between two nights, though?"
She was trying her luck, but making quality pieces was a point of personal honor. It could mean life or death for the wielder if the smith cut corners.
"I just like my metal to anneal for a day. I could forge a dagger shape in a night, but I can't make the metal cool proper-like to grind it in that short a time. Only Tanroa can do that."
Fia Eaven
May She Live Like Some Green Laurel

Words: 74775
Joined roleplay: August 29th, 2009, 5:03 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Nickorius on October 6th, 2009, 1:40 am

Fia Eaven

"Oh, of course!" Ros exclaimed. "I don't expect you to finish all in one night."

He lamented at his blunder. What a horrible smith he must have portrayed himself as. While lost in his worries about handling the complexities of a woman in the forge, he had offered Fia a botched audition.

"Feel free to take as long as you need, qualities is much preferred here. Take up to three nights if you absolutely need it, but I would encourage you to finish as soon at you can." Ros smiled, "It would be best if you started tonight though. I don't like to have unfinished business out there for too long."

OOCFeel free to start a new thread for your audition/creation of whatever you're planning on showing to Ros.
Last edited by Nickorius on October 9th, 2009, 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nickorius
Harvester of Souls

Words: 13932
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2009, 9:53 pm
Office

Postby Argis Valkyn Terras on October 6th, 2009, 2:27 pm

OOC: Hi Nick!! Its good of you to help out around Syliras. Nice to know whom I can go to for some moderation when Gossamer is busy :) I'm not sure if you are aware, but i'm Argis - I think the shop owner goes by Ros. I'll be happy to RP with Fia if that is what is meant :)

IC: Argis shook Ros' hand and accepted the position. It was true that Argis did seek wealth, who didn't, but he was more concerned with his creations being as perfect as possible. He was a capable blacksmith, but he wanted to be extraordinary! The one that people came to when they wanted uniquely crafted items. The kind of person that people came from all over to receive his works. Fame was a wealth far more valuable than any miza - but being paid good miza was a nice benefit he would not turn away.

Argis first went to his apartment to check his surroundings. The quarters were comfortable with three separate rooms; the living space, the kitchen, and the bedroom. It had a nice cozy feel to it and opened into the courtyard. He wondered who he would meet within the forge when he chose to sit in the courtyard and how friendly the other employees might be. Time would tell about the others but now was as good a time as any to meet the forge manager.

The human was a nice enough person; friendly and yet stern. He probably had to be managing so many people and yet being behind on work. Argis took the time to look over the forge area that Zilan showed him. It was his own personal work area; a complete forge all by itself. Argis could not help but smile looking over his area and thinking of all the things he would make from here. He let Zilan know he would work five day rotations with two days off to earn 40 miza a week. That would give him time to rest and explore the surrounding land. he was not familiar with his surroundings after coming over from Sultras, and he knew he needed some time to acclimate himself to his new homeland.

Then Argis headed in to his apartment and settled in. First thing in the morning he'd being work on the backlog.

OOCI'll link you the thread in a PM Goss once it is up!
Argis Valkyn Terras
Player

Words: 2287
Joined roleplay: August 17th, 2009, 9:59 pm
Race: Isur

Postby Nor on October 21st, 2009, 5:56 pm

Fall, Day 50, 509 AV

The heat of the ironworks was evident even from the outside, the heat had already started to make him sweat. He set his horse in a stable before making his way here, he needn't had asked for directions. The greatest Ironworks this side of the world could be found anywhere in the city just by looking for the smoke columns in the sky. Inside the heat was worse and Norvan was thankful he only wore a short sleeved shirt instead of his usual leather garb. The heat reminded him of the days he had spent as a blacksmith when he was younger, the familiar feel of shaping metal, the smell, the heat and the sound all started to return to him. A man covered in soot ran past him, grabbing him by the shoulder, Norvan got his attention.

“Where is the the head blacksmith?” he shouted, attempting to be heard over the roar of the furnace.

“What?” the man replied, obviously not hearing the question. Pulling him closer Norvan spoke towards his ear.

“Where is the the head blacksmith!?” he shouted louder.

“Head-Oh' you mean Ros!”The man pointed off into the direction he had just come. Norvan give a gesture of thanks and set off looking for the Head Blacksmith or Ros. A few moments later he had found who he thought was the man Ros.

“Are you in charge here? I was wondering if you had need of an extra hand?”
If your dads Frankenstein and I'm a Vampire, why are you a Werewolf?

Nor
Player

Words: 3001
Joined roleplay: August 21st, 2009, 8:37 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Human, Mixed

Postby Gossamer on October 28th, 2009, 5:25 pm

OOCSorry for the delay!

Ros looked up and smiled. "Well, hello there. I'm Ros. And who might you be? Work? Well that all depends on what sort of skills you have. I can always use more blacksmiths. We pay 8 mizas a day here, but unless your Isur, I require a test piece to be completed before I offer you employment. Tell me a little about yourself, what brought you here looking for work, and what you like to do. Then, I'll assign you a project, let you work on it for just today, and when the day is over, we'll be able to settle you in if its a good fit. We also have on-sight housing for our apprentices." He said, looking thoughtful.

Then he waited, smiling slightly, to see what the stranger would say.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Nor on October 29th, 2009, 10:46 am

Norvan listened to Ros intently and when he was finished mumbled a quick thanks to the deity that seemed to favour him, with such a generous man. The few rich men he had met in the past had been more than paranoid when it came to their possessions in the past. "My names Norvan Wallace, only my father was an Isur, but I spent a few years as an apprentice to the blacksmith of my village. I want to own my own foundry one day, but until I get the money, this seems like a good place to start. I've got a tent, but a warm room dose sound appealing. " he said hopefully, wondering where else he could go if he couldn't get a job here.
If your dads Frankenstein and I'm a Vampire, why are you a Werewolf?

Nor
Player

Words: 3001
Joined roleplay: August 21st, 2009, 8:37 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Human, Mixed

PreviousNext