Closed [The Azure Market] A Favour Owed

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

[The Azure Market] A Favour Owed

Postby T'ala on October 8th, 2013, 8:34 pm

16th - Autumn (513 AV)

Even as a child, T'ala had loved the Azure. The rich smells and bustling crowds evoked memories of scampering around as a little girl, brown hair swinging in the wind, and, with a charmingly innocent smile, pleaded with the adults there for a little money to feed herself and her oh-so-many hungry siblings. The story had changed with the seasons, sometimes her parents were sick, other times she was an orphan catering for a huge family, occasionally she was just lost. When the people, as they often did, turned her down with a snooty - sensible - wave of their hand her knife would fly from her pocket and, the moment they turned away, delicate fingers would gently tease their purse from their belt.

She smiled to herself, awash with nostalgia. It had been a while since she's ventured into the Azure, her more recent targets had been selected from outside actual shops; the hot summers put her off the more crowded areas of the city.

Now, though, the air was cooler and the Azure undoubtedly filled with tourists she could easily pry a purse from. Even with no intention of actually stealing - buying and stealing on the same day was just asking for trouble - she ran her gaze lazily over the groups of people, picking out the ones she'd have chosen. A man in a well-tailored jacket, a woman with her hair pulled back with golden pins, two men - brothers? Friends? - with identical sleek, oiled mustaches.

She gave them a wave and they returned it with nods. Turning back to the stalls, she browsed for a few moments, studying the wares. There was a stall filled with clothes, soft, silken fabrics with equally extravagant prices and next to it...

Books. Rows and rows of them. T'ala ventured over, smiling at the owner as his suspicious piggy eyes glared at her from behind the table. "You have an excellent collection." She commended, watched as he inflated with self-importance before continuing with a gesture towards some of the better illustrated novels, "what price do you put these at?"

He smiled condescendingly, glancing down at her shabby clothes. "Twenty kina.

She nodded, resisting the urge to stick her tongue out at the ridiculous price. T'ala knew she could buy better books for half the amount at the shop. Regardless, she perused the table again and her eyes were drawn to a volume with a dark red cover. The language on the front was unfamiliar. "What about this one?" She asked.

"Twenty kina. He didn't even glance at it.

"I meant what is it about?" The man shrugged, his eyes still glaring at her, daring her to try something. Too curious to just let that go by, she reached for it and picked it up. The man let out a sharp noise and she, raising her spare hand in mock surrender, flicked through the pages. It seemed to be a journal, with pictures of birds and what looked like a city on a mountain, although the drawing was too muddled to be really understood. Annotations stood out in multi-coloured ink but, the language being unfamiliar, she couldn't hope to understand it.

"Where did you get this from?" She asked, at last, not really expecting to get an answer.
T'ala
Player

Words: 4460
Joined roleplay: August 17th, 2013, 8:44 pm
Race: Konti

Postby Arysana on October 9th, 2013, 10:00 am

Sana

Anger riled within her. It was a twisted, vile feeling that had the young woman’s jaw clench. She supposed she should not have been surprised, business was business, and the stall before her in particular was known to boast exquisite wares, a hoggish attendant, and prices so high they gave the faux armourers a hard run for the title of ‘biggest rip-off’. ‘No, he’s worse than armourers’, she thought, justifying herself as the city’s celebrated library stocked at least seventy per cent of the books before, with the shelves of Tower’s Respite holding many themselves.

The man gave Sana another sideways look, a calculating gaze that lingered on the copper colouration of her hair and the dainty bracelet that ringed her wrist. She didn’t bother painting on a false smile this time, having already given the man such pleasantries when she initially came to booth, shortly, she wagered, after the fair woman a little away. There was a twist in man’s expression whenever his gaze fell on the other woman that had Sana seething, or rather, it was the way his expression shifted so drastically. The other woman asked something of the origins of the book she held, and the man responded with a deadpan drone of the price, as though so sure she couldn’t afford such a thing, her existence was negligible.

Another question was raised, this time the man did little more than stare forward, not even a falter in his airy, apathetic look. Sana edged closer to the woman, eyes catching the Nari lettering on the page she held so tenderly open. Sana then looked back up to the attendant, who snapped to attention. There was a slight curve to his lips, as though he was at least attempting a look of interest and competence, though nowhere near as such to actually ask if there was something concerning her.
"Excuse me," she said pointedly, a dash of anger flushing to her face, her olive eyes hard and piercing. "But I believe your customer is asking a question," her words were tight, and lips pressed into a firm line, her head tilting ever so slightly towards the other woman. The man’s brows furrowed and nose pinched, as though some foul odour had crossed his senses.
There was another short silence, the man's breath leaving him and not quick to return, the crease in his forehead only deepening. 'You're kidding me,' she thought, a foul look poisoning her own expression, 'He wasn't even listening'. "To be honest, I'm rather concerned," she began, her look like poison, arms folded. She paid much mind in keeping her voice quiet and body language soft, preferring not to make a show in a place such as the market, "But your refusal to answer a question on the origin of your own wares has me doubt their sanctity.” Sana had begun to get carried away, but she could scarcely help herself – the look of horror that crossed the man’s face was plenty enough to sate her anger.
“I beg your pardon?” The man began, alarm rising. "I don't know what you're-"
"Then why not answer such a simple question?"
"I wasn't listening- I mean I just-"
"Oh," Sana mused, a look of understanding crossing her expression, "So it was just your own incompetence, then?"
"Yes, I mean-No. Uh-"
She inwardly scolded herself for taking things so far, before shaking her head at the man, “Relax.” Her words were easy, and tone little different from normal. “I’ll let it slide,” she said, the quickness in which the man softened having her decide to go for one more punch. “This time, that is.”

The man stiffened once more and glared at the two of them, before the appearance of a jaded man some way to the right provided him with an excuse to move on, and Sana almost missed him when he was gone – realising that she may have very well pissed of the one she was so creatively trying to defend. That was, if one could even call pissing off a pretentious stall owner because he was so blatantly rude to someone ‘defending’ them. “Sorry,” she began, giving the woman a haphazard smile, before deciding she might as well start-off by answering the question the pig-man couldn’t. “That book, Nari is the language it’s written in, uh” she took in a sharp breath, completely aware of the awkward assembly of her words, “It looks like it’s about ‘Wind Reach’… or at least in that region.”

Last edited by Arysana on November 25th, 2013, 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Altaira Readva | Naia Whitewater
Arysana
Peace Amdist the Storm

Words: 171224
Joined roleplay: June 29th, 2013, 2:12 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Elysium on November 25th, 2013, 9:06 pm

Tala

XP:
Observation +1
Rhetoric +1

Lore:
Lhavit: The Azure Market

Arysana

XP:
Intimidation +1
Observation +1
Rhetoric +1

Lore:
Observation: Identifying a Rip-Off
Intimidation: How to Bully a Vendor

Notes: I'm sad to see this cut so short! However, I have a bone to pick with you Arysana; stop using that confounded Fairydust font for your primary text! It's perfectly fine for titles, but it renders the actual body of the thread nearly illegible. Stick to the sans serif and serif families and steer clear of handwritten or display fonts for your regular text! :)

and so, the journey continues...
Elysium
Never venture, never win.

Words: 519270
Joined roleplay: December 12th, 2012, 9:49 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Artist (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)