[Pjeil's Scrap book] PB&J

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Pjeil on October 24th, 2013, 5:57 am

Just a collection of thoughts regarding all sorts of things about Miz and anything else that comes to mind!
No rules, total anarchy here :P
Last edited by Pjeil on December 19th, 2013, 6:09 am, edited 4 times in total.
Note: The avatar is what he is projected to look like when Pjeil grows up! He is not an adult, he is a child of about 11-15 in terms of body structure. Isur physically develop rapidly. He has the mentality of a 11 year old.
Pjeil
Patientia Infinitus

Words: 35180
Joined roleplay: August 11th, 2013, 1:18 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Pjeil on November 2nd, 2013, 5:47 am

Thread bookmarks!

Metalsmithing - http://www.mizahar.com/forums/topic41864.html

Something to read later:
Tarot modded thread - http://www.mizahar.com/forums/topic12495.html
Aurist (isur): http://www.mizahar.com/forums/topic4946.html

Q&A
Reimancery
Last edited by Pjeil on December 27th, 2013, 3:39 am, edited 10 times in total.
Note: The avatar is what he is projected to look like when Pjeil grows up! He is not an adult, he is a child of about 11-15 in terms of body structure. Isur physically develop rapidly. He has the mentality of a 11 year old.
Pjeil
Patientia Infinitus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Pjeil on November 4th, 2013, 8:17 pm

Concept:Mage Tent

This idea recently came to me and I can't seem to stop thinking about it. If there are any flaws to this, go ahead and point it out. :)

Without further ado:

Concept: A mage tent is a small structure built primarily of shielding. Either layered or a shield with multiple tasks. The initial concept was a cross discipline approach by using webbing to provide a skeletal structure and using shields to cover the spaces between each web thread. Naturally shielding can not stand on its own, so it would need a structure to lie over, but shielding can stretch over open spaces, like doors and windows; thus the webbing. If a thread of webbing keeps can be used as an “anchor” for shielding, one would have an invisible protective structure. Thing is I am unsure how webbing and shielding would interact yet. I would like to experiment with this in character to find out, but that may be a ways off until my character has enough skill to attempt this.
Made of shielding, not plastic

With such a structure one would have a combination of protection and early warning system.. Shielding’s basic definition is to be tasked against djed to repel or admit a djed type. So this structure could naturally be able to repel rain or repel light for privacy (by making the entire structure either an opaque black or cut down on light by blocking certain colors). Something a normal tent would need to be able to do. It may also have an interesting function that a normal tent would lack: this structure could potentially protect from wild djed since both shielding and webbing can task untasked djed. The flip side of this is that it would provide a leecher with a lot of free djed.

As for my original idea of using webbing, I considered the process of webbing. It requires an anchor for the threads of webbing to be useful. So I figured stakes or poles. If one were to inscribe or carve out an anchor glyph on the head each of these poles and placed these into the ground, one can use the anchors to suspend the threads into the air, above the head, and make the skeleton structure. Then one can use these poles as the outermost boundaries of the tent, web until satisfied and shield over the whole.

If webbing is not an option, or if a character only has shielding available, then string and poles with hooks are definitely an option. Using string in this manner would be nearly identical to the process of webbing and has some potential pros. By using string instead of webbing one has to consume less of their own djed to create the webbing skeletal structure. Of course, this means that if one is not careful or is taller than the poles they may bump into the string and ruin the structure.

Last edited by Pjeil on December 19th, 2013, 6:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pjeil
Patientia Infinitus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Pjeil on December 19th, 2013, 6:05 am

An Isur's perspective

I can't say that I am an expert on Isurian culture, I defer to Gillar for that. And these are just some thoughts, nothing to take too seriously. But I have been considering how the Isur view the Valterrian. As we all know the Isur have deep wounds from the event. They blame the humans for it, the destruction of their homeland and the extermination numerous clans that existed before the divine war. Hard to not see their point. In fact it is this year that the Isur, at least the Vizerian, Sultros and Coglias clans, are relaxing their stance on how they treat humans.

But consider how they view it in terms of their life span. An isur's life expectancy is 200 years. More than twice the average life expectancy for the average human. Everything about the Isur is in half speed. Births take twice as long as humans, a child of 20 is mentally and physically equivalent to a 10 year old human (Something, I admit I need to work on). Not to mention that Isur are incredible hardy in nearly every way. They have clever minds meant for industry, their bodies are physically fit and far stronger physiologically. It is not a stretch for an Isur to make into the 200 range. I see a handful of NPCs at that age or older. The only real weakness might be disease or madness, but I feel that they are probably strong in that way as well.

The Valterrian was more than 500 years ago. For an Isur's long life, that was about 3 generations. 3. To put it into perspective, that is like having a grandfather or great grandfather around that had seen Leonardo da Vinci paint the Mona Lisa or Michelangelo sculpt the David. Or having a father that was about during the founding of america. Or being alive during both world wars and still be considered a man (or woman) at the end of early adulthood.

There are other races that are longer lived than the Isur of course: the Akalak, Konti, Jamoura, Nuit, Dhani. The Akalak, Konti and Nuit have a similar situation to the Valterrian but clearly they reacted differently. Some Nuits and maybe a few Akalak still clinging to life might have even been able to witness the destruction first hand. While the Jamoura, as an intelligent race, are still very young and the Dhani are just far different from the other humanoid races that, while knowing of the valterrian, their reaction and perspective is simply alien.

My point is, and this is all conjecture, Isur probably have a great deal of forgotten knowledge stored in their cities and in the oral history of each family. They forget far slower than a human, if they forget at all and for them, the Valterrian was something that directly affected them and their families. The fact that the Isur are going to be nicer to the humans with this in mind is a bit more remarkable. As does the Terras and Pitrius's clans hostile reaction to their brethren seem that much more justifiable.

Anyways, just some thoughts about what is probably clear to everyone.

Pjeil
Patientia Infinitus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Pjeil on February 1st, 2014, 8:30 am

Little know facts about Isur!

Did you know...
  • Half isur can get gain a divine, metal arm by gaining 2-3 marks in Izentor? Proof
  • Morphing is uncommon to Isurian culture, but it is a well utilized skill, provided that it is for entertainment purposes. Proof
  • The release of Ivak has put the Isur in a precarious position, the Terras and the Pitrius clan are on the verge a civil war over the subject. Proof
  • Sultros is the only city at this writing that has multiple small scale forts, logging and mining camps. It is the only place that a character can come from a "small" community.
Pjeil
Patientia Infinitus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Pjeil on February 27th, 2014, 1:44 am

Adventures of Stumpy the Spider

Today I would like to tell you about my "pet" spider, Stumpy. I can't say what species of spider, and I actually have arachnophobia, but I still find myself emotionally attached to the little guy (or girl, hard to tell these kinds of thing). Stumpy is a variety of spider similar to daddy long-legs, is small and brown and has 4 missing legs. Three are missing on his right side, the front leg, the leg behind it and the very back leg and is missing one leg on the left, the middle front leg.

He lives in my bathroom in a corner by the web, just above the shower. He showed up about a week ago and he has even caught a couple flies. Somehow he lost his legs before he arrived at his current hunting spot and I always wonder how he survived.

I learned from him that spiders, if their legs are lost can not effectively use their remaining legs to walk with the same efficiency. Kind of obvious, huh? But before this I always thought that a leg is a leg and they have many superfluous legs. This isn't the case, their front two legs are closer to a spider's arms. They use them to probe forward before making a step, string up webs, and pull things to them. They use them to clean themselves and drink dew off their body with them. So the loss of one of these legs is a huge dent in their ability to do things. I can't say that I know what the 4 middle legs are for, stability probably? But the last two legs are fairly important too. They use them to anchor themselves to surfaces, to do the actual spinning of webs on their prey and to draw out web when spelunking into the air. A spider without the use of at least those two important legs is going to have trouble survive, but Stumpy has been doing well for himself so far.

Now you are probably wondering how I could be afraid of spiders if I am emotionally invested in Stumpy. Truth is, I wonder myself about the seeming paradox. However, I never kill spiders, or at least try not to. They are important pest killers and have a great role in the house, besides I just can't bring myself to hurt them. For big spiders though, tarantulas and recluses and such I am terrified. I was going to show you a diagram of Stumpy, but I got freaked out when looking at spider pictures. Smaller spiders like daddy long-legs and jumping spiders don't scare me though, just the big ones with the fangs and crazy looking mandibles. :( If I had a decent camera I would have just shown you but I don't. In any case its a spider that isn't only small, but a wounded one that is not just surviving, but thriving. I can't help but root for him.

He probably isn't going to live long, or stick around for any length of time. But while he is here, I am going to enjoy his presence and maybe my positive thoughts directed at him will do some sort of good for him.
Pjeil
Patientia Infinitus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets