Transmutation Question

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Transmutation Question

Postby Ayara Orin - Migrated on December 17th, 2013, 3:42 pm

Quick alchemy question. Can alchemy turn one thing completely into another? Have a material, have the same material in the filter, and another material in the fount, thus turning the first material into the last?

Lead + Gold - Lead = Gold?
THIS ACCOUNT IS NOW THIS ACCOUNT
Ayara Orin - Migrated
OLD ACCOUNT

Words: 12665
Joined roleplay: December 12th, 2013, 7:03 pm
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Transmutation Question

Postby Gale Austin McCenry on December 21st, 2013, 2:19 am

Hey Ayara,

I'm not sure if I understand either of your questions. This one, or the levitation one. I'm not sure if that's because I'm not fully knowledgeable of magic or not, but perhaps it would help me understand your questions if you reworded it?

I would attempt to answer your alchemy question, but I don't want to give you a ridiculous answer simply because I didn't get the question, so apologies for that. :(

Gale Austin McCenry
McPainty

Words: 701701
Joined roleplay: May 6th, 2012, 2:25 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Mizahar Mentor (1)
Artist (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Overlored (1) Trash Medal (1)

Transmutation Question

Postby Rayage on December 21st, 2013, 5:05 am

Hey there,

Im going to attempt to answer your question based on my understanding of Alchemy.

Ayara Orin wrote:Quick alchemy question. Can alchemy turn one thing completely into another? Have a material, have the same material in the filter, and another material in the fount, thus turning the first material into the last?

Lead + Gold - Lead = Gold?

Lets break down your formula here. In the center of the circle, you have Lead. Lead is your target since it's the first thing listed in your equation.

The + represents the Fount, which in this case is gold.

The - represents the Filter, which is lead.

The main purposes of the Fount and Filter is the alter the Target (the material in the middle) by means of adding properties to the Target Material which are found in the Fount slots of the Alchemy Ring. Filters are -exactly- that, and do not directly effect the Target like a Fount does. Instead, a Filter 'takes out' properties from the Fount which are undesired to be present in the Target.

Filters cannot 'take out' properties of the Target.

Filters work only on Founts. Filters purify the Alchemical reaction. A great example of the importance of Filters can be found within the Alchemy article itself (under Fomulas).

Iron +Gold paint -Water = Gold-colored iron

This means iron is in the center of the ring, golden paint is a fount, water is a filter (keeping the iron from acquiring the liquid properties of the paint). The result is iron with a realistic golden color.

Going back to your initial Fomula trying to turn Lead to Gold

Lead + Gold - Lead = Gold

This would be incorrect. At its very foundation Alchemy is working with the pure djed of things to (temporary) impart properties of the things found in the Fount sections of the circle.

If it helps, much like the Formula section suggests, you can think of the Alchemy Circle as a big addition and subtraction problem. However, you are not using numbers, but properties of objects. The 'numbers' of the formula which are not matched on the Filter side will 'leak' through to the Target. Having a Filter which catches a property is like having 1 + (-1) which we all know equals 0. The Positive One representing the property on the Fount side, and the Negative One representing the same property on the Filter side. The Fount side is positive, while the Filter side is negative.

Using your formula, depending on your characters skill level, you will get Lead that is gold-like (Im unsure what properties which Lead and Gold have in common, so I cant tell you what would be filtered out of the Gold in the equation). Properties of Gold are imparted on the Lead, but it will never be pure gold. Always, deep down in the substances Djed, there will always be Lead. You can get pretty darn close though >.> close enough where most normal people wouldnt be able to tell the difference... (with enough transmutations!)

To further understand Alchemy, I would like to point you to an informational video (by our dear Founder Tarot) talking about djed! A good working knowledge of Djed is key to understanding any Magic, especially that of Alchemy.

Tarots Video

If I didnt answer your question/you are even more confused now than you were before, please ask again/rephrase your question.
“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Words: 980399
Joined roleplay: February 5th, 2011, 9:40 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Lore Author (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)