Closed [Undeniable Interests] Reaching Past (Nya)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Undeniable Interests] Reaching Past (Nya)

Postby Abashai on October 30th, 2013, 3:44 pm

Timestamp: 15th Day of Fall, 513 AV

Abashai needed answers, knowledge and connection. The year in the wilderness had restored the memories that the Black Sun bitch had stolen from him, of the life before Ravok. But that was only the start. To perform the kind of work he and Nya had planned, they needed what Areesa had deliberately hidden from herself through the ages, and understanding of things neither of them had experience with.

The Benshiran was determined to carry through. He had no other purpose, everything that mattered Kialandra Salvatrice had stolen from him. What ate at Abashai, what was the sick irony of it all, was that everything he lost was still with him. Everything Nya was to him, gone, even though she stood next to him. His relationship with Yahal, quiet, yet the marks still resided upon his hands. Abashai could not even enjoy his own son, every glance at Micah a reminder of his mother, the woman that had tore away his life. Thank the gods Nya ripped the wench's head from her shoulders and freed Abashai. Now, pursuing the magic, and the chance to exact retribution against Ravok and the damnable god who marked him with Chaon, gave the man something.

The trip to the small shop set against the castle wall was intended to stir something, memories, visions, or simply some material to educate the man on what they would be dealing with. Nya accompanied him, though Abashai was not certain whether she saw any value in scouring the cluttered shelves of the book shop.

Though a bell tinkled as they entered, the old man said to run the shop didn't appear, nor did there seem to be any other patrons. Shai began to move around the tables and shelves. Curious items were gathered nilly willy among dusty old books, some Abashai had to rub firmly with a finger to reveal the title on the spine. As he perused, he spoke to Nya, voice low.

"I keep thinking something will trigger memories, a piece of equipment, a drawing, sketch, book, something."
His blue-green gaze lowered to Nya. Abashai buried much when it came to her. The cacophony of accumulated emotions and memories regarding Nya were haunting. He strained mentally to shove them into corners of his mind, they only brought guilt. Still, sometimes, in the quiet of the nights when Nya remained in the room, Abashai watched her sleep, letting himself remember. It was a sweet torment in which the dark-souled man indulged, the pain some form of penance to appease the trace of the virtuous man that once was, lingering still in his core.

"I want to know about it all, to some extent, as Jefrek would have."
Last edited by Abashai on November 5th, 2013, 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Abashai
There are winds I am compelled to follow...

Words: 391987
Joined roleplay: August 25th, 2009, 4:12 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)

Postby Nya Winters on October 30th, 2013, 4:47 pm

Nya tilted her head as Shai had taken them to the store cluttered with dust and the scents of things very old. If a person where to ask her what the purpose of the shop was, she would have happily answered that it sold decay. Everything in the shop was in some sort of transition from what it was once to what it was going to become shortly. Today was unusual though, not because they were in a book shop of sorts browsing, but because Abashai was the restless one who could not sit still. He had a pent up energy about himself that spoke of rawness and unresolved conflict barely dealt with.

Nya understood. It was just odd seeing her usual restlessness manifest in someone else and drive them out onto the streets. She hadn't even had time to ask Matilda to babysit Micah for her. Instead the boy was tucked into a sling under Nya's arm wrapped in a small forest cat pelt turned fur side in that Nya had killed in the summer. Matilda had claimed the way Nya was protecting the boy that he was going to grow up thinking he was more forest cat than human. Nya was okay with that. She was guarding Abashai's son and keeping him safe until such a time as Abashai could look at him again and know that even though he was born of a horrible situation, none of it was his fault.

She knew it would take time. Maybe years.

Even as an infant, Nya was letting him handle Shai's things - knives, the new magecrafting hammers she had acquired from Ethan, and made sure he was as much a part of their new lives as he could be at such a small age. Micah rarely cried. Nya saw too it at an early age that the boy acquired no bonus' if he wailed. He was fed when he was quiet. He was cuddled and loved and changed when he was quiet. Those first few days after he was stolen, if he wailed he was ignored until he cried himself out and was silent. It was the only way the baby would survive in the wilds. And in a way, Syliras was just as hostile to a child as the woods between Ravok and Syliras.

So Nya had Micah with them, though the infant was being absolutely silent except for a few waved hands and happy noises when he half woke from the solid warmth and safety of his furry cocoon.

"Your mind refuses to remember? But your body might, once it gets to work. I think we need to work, Shai, not shop. We can make something to trigger past life memories when we get good enough. If we get good enough..." Nya said abruptly. Truth be told she wasn't sure she wanted to remember being Areesa. The woman had wronged the world in more ways than one. Jefrek had tried to help, to stop her, but in the end it hadn't been enough.

"We are not them. We are but I mean we will never BE THEM again. We are as we are and that should count for far more. You would be far better served getting us a book on how to start as magecrafters." Nya argued. "The great wizards of Alahea are gone. They won't ever return, not as the world is these days, Shai. Besides Treval is still standing. It would be a better place to look for memories than here. They call it Lisnar now. You were born there. We both were. I remember. But we cannot go there, not now, not after we've made so many bargains with the knights." Nya remarked casually, leaning over and blowing some dust off an old book that was titled "Bleeding the sickness out.". She rolled her eyes, moved her body so Micah's suddenly reaching hand could not grab anything dirty, and frowned.

"Is there anything of use in this place?"
She asked, sour humored and finding the dust was making her want to sneeze.
Nya Winters
Let the winds in my heart blow...

Words: 784686
Joined roleplay: June 7th, 2009, 6:53 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Trailblazer (1) Never Say Die (1)
Donor (1) 2017 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2017 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Abashai on October 31st, 2013, 2:00 pm

Abashai continued to sift over the strange artifacts and containers, examining the titles of tomes as Nya spoke. Micah cooed now and then, proving to be well behaved as usual. Abashai picked up a blue glass bottle, aromatic sticks protruding from it. They were not the pleasant scents of Yaheban incense, but almost stringent in smell. He wrinkled his nose at them and set them down next to several bowls of colored powders.

"I don't want to be him...Jefrek, even though I was...him." Shai still found himself talking in circles when discussing their former lives. "I don't feel a kinship to him." This was not entirely true. The same notions Jefrek had for Areesa had perpetuated through the string of lives they lived, into this one, even though what Shai and Nya had was destroyed. Abashai's felt in his deepest parts his need to be with Nya. "But to tap what I knew as him...well, you are probably right about trying to stir that memory."

Shai picked up a book, the title scripted in a language he didn't even recognize. He tossed it back on a pile, a puff of dust lifting from the dirty material. "But I need a starting point. Lisnar may be a resource, but not a quick jaunt from here, if I remember my maps, and you are right, we risk losing the Knight's support if we leave now. " The Kelvic, her common sense again trumped the vain efforts of the man's intellect. Simply start learning at the beginning. It made plain sense, doing could do much to revive buried talents. Shai permitted himself a small smile at his own vanity. "True, there may be books on just that subject here...somewhere." The Benshiran looked around the disaster of a shop. It would take days to dig through the mess searching for meaningful books. He would have to find the proprietor for help.

"There is another way." Abashai paused in his tracks. His eyes drifted down to the child nuzzled against Nya, his tiny raised hand grasping at nothing in particular. Probably pulling the dust right out of the air. "His name is Devandil Nightshade. He is the current Magecrafter." Abashai had learned much of the city, gathering information on his pointed wanderings around Stormhold. It was Nightshade who refused to use the former magecrafter's laboratory, the Inner Sanctum, the same workshop the Knights had offered to Nya and Shai for their work, opting to make a new one in the fourth tier.

"He is a Sym, of all things. They say he is not overly pleasant, but he was a professor in Zeltiva, and is willing to answering questions, for any bold enough to enter his laboratory." The Benshiran idly pressed a finger to Micah's open hand, the miniature fingers closing around the tip of the calloused digit. "I hesitated even mentioning him. I am still wary of revealing everything to others, especially one of his power. The Knights may have already told him. But I suppose for now, he only need know we are aspiring novices looking for some educational material, and maybe a lesson or two."
Abashai
There are winds I am compelled to follow...

Words: 391987
Joined roleplay: August 25th, 2009, 4:12 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)