Closed Surely I'm hired?[Eldritch]

Clyde arrives in Zeltiva ready to teach

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Surely I'm hired?[Eldritch]

Postby Clyde Sullins on October 30th, 2013, 11:54 am

60 Fall 513

It had been a long time since Clyde had last been in Zeltiva. Back then, his life had been far more confusing, more chaotic. Which as he looked back, was a bit ironic considering where he went after. But now he was back, and far more skilled than he had ever been. In fact, few enough mages would be able to match some of his skills. All that in the short three years since he was last in Zeltiva. Which really did not seem like a long time, but when you considered all that had happened during that time, it was.

Now he was back, and attempting to take on the role of an instructor at this very institution. This made a short smile flicker over even Clyde's face, as he thought on this. He made his way through the vaguely familiar halls, only to get completely lost and having to ask a student for directions. Once he made it to the main office, he was told he needed to interview with the head of the magic department if he wanted to become a teacher.

And so here he was, trying to find a professor Stonemiller. Clyde was not quite sure why, but this made him think of Hadrian. He had been one of his first scholarly acquaintances, he had made his first profitable venture into Magecrafting with him. He had been trained at Zeltiva, which was where Clyde first ran into him, literally. So perhaps Zeltiva and professors just brought back the memory of Hadrian. Or perhaps the mage had mentioned Stonemiller. Though as he thought on this, the fact that he was the head of the magic department, it seemed likely that he had either worked under him, or knew of him.

Finally Clyde had arrived at his destination, the said professors office. Clyde knocked on the door, using his staff. Three solid knock. Then he stood tall, and waited to either be admitted in, or for someone to open the door.
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Eldritch on October 30th, 2013, 8:25 pm

Clyde would need to wait a few chimes after he finished knocking before he finally received a response from beyond the sturdy oaken door.

"Enter." It was spoken firmly but in a rather curt tone, one that was decidedly no nonsense.

When Clyde opted to follow the prompt and enter the door he would find himself in a rather cramped office, documents of all times scattered about haphazardly. The wall of the small office were adorned with yet more documents, some framed and hanged crookedly most likely academic accolades. If he bothered to look closely, Clyde might notice a few rather elegantly and skillfully drawn glyphing diagrams here or there. All in all the place look fairly disorganized.

The desk was the main attraction, as well as the man behind it. The sturdy oaken furniture was large, imposing, and of flawless craftsmanship. The organization of the documents and items on the desk was a fair bit more organized, as though they were actually worthy of categorization and attention. Behind the desk sat an aging man, his hair thick, grey, and tied off tightly in the back. His blue robes denoted the position of professor towards him, the red trimming along its edges denoted the head of a department. His eyes were transfixed upon a piece of parchment in front of him, his quill already at work scribbling away.

His steely grey eyes would flick up to his guest for a moment before returning to the parchment.

"Sit down." The man said, giving a nearly imperceptible incline of his head to the empty chair in front of his desk.

Clyde would be forced to wait a few more chimes as the aging man finished up his work, setting the document aside with a practiced motion. His eyes rose from the desk, actually fully looking upon his guest. He looked to be sizing up the Reimancer, his gaze meeting the younger man's and holding it. He nodded after a brief moment, satisfied with something.

"You don't have the bearing of some foolish student, seeking arcane knowledge for its own sake. Who are you and what brings you to my office?" He asked, his attention on his guest but occasionally his eyes flicked down to some document or another.
Eldritch
Do you feel your sanity begin to fray?

Words: 237808
Joined roleplay: July 4th, 2013, 3:05 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Clyde Sullins on October 31st, 2013, 5:01 pm

As Clyde knocked, he took a moment to look at the door. It was quite solid, and as he looked closer, he noticed it was of the same wood as his own staff. Oak. Quite a common wood to be used in construction, mainly in furniture and such items as his own staff. Of course, his own had been carved out by his father, back in Syliras a long time ago. A gift, and one of the few things he still had from back then. It was a comforting presence, a stable facet to his life, a texture in his hand which calmed him.

Even if he made his own Magic Staff, as he planned to do, he would not just toss aside his current staff. It was a part of him, and he was almost as close to it as he would be a true Magecrafted creation. If only he knew it would not poorly affect the item to be made, he would turn this one into a true Mage's staff. But alas, he would not knowing what he did.

Clyde was broken out of his thoughts, as a voice spoke "enter" loudly. He opened the door, and did so.

As he went inside, Clyde was struck by a visual equivalent of a wave of text. Parchment, writing, ink, the room was full of it. His trained Glypher's eyes noted some sigils of power, automatically translating them into purpose and intent, and what desire of their crafter they would perform. He had learned a long time ago not to bother looking at the symbols, or the writing, when seeing Glyphing. Instead, the purpose and intent behind it was what was important. Then it was quite a simple step to progress along and figure out what the Glyph work was to do, piecing together the puzzle.

The entire place was a cascade of ordered chaos, confusion with direction. For some odd reason Clyde found it oddly comforting, as this was what a scholar, a mage, should look like. Or at least, it was similar to his own controlled chaos that his own work usually appeared as.

As Clyde stood before him, he saw the man was scratching away with his quill, working away steadily. He flicked his eyes away from his work for a moment, and spoke once more. "Sit down." Clyde did so, carefully settling himself into the chair, his staff still comfortingly clutched in his right hand. He was wearing his robes with the gray side out, instead of allowing the nicer side to show which depicted the symbols of the Ebonstryfe. They were magical, enchanted via Magecrafting, though not by Clyde himself, even though he had the capability. Still, since his old robes had been destroyed, possibly by Rhysol himself, he had little choice but to casually wear this magical artifact.

There was the flutter of paper, as the man moved aside the parchment, and Clyde's eyes automatically shifted to it, before shifting back up to the mans eyes. He was now looking directly at him, returning his gaze. He did not flinch, nor grin, nor try to intimidate, he simply looked back at him.

"You don't have the bearing of some foolish student, seeking arcane knowledge for its own sake. Who are you and what brings you to my office?"

At this, Clyde actually did momentarily smile, at the thought of the other people he had met who so wanted to be a mage, wanting to have their soul bared and body torn into, just to go beyond what a normal person could do.

"I think the mark of a skilled mage, or at least of a wise one, is that they would not wish to learn it freshly should they be given the choice. Sadly none of the newly initiated, nor ones wanting to be initiated, can see that. All they can see is the dazzle and upsides to it, never the opposite."

"But you are right, I am not some fresh eyed student seeking knowledge. Quite the opposite, I am hoping to gain employment by the arcane knowledge I already hold."

"I am quite the skilled Glypher, and it is one of the less harmful of the magics in instructing others. Though I think my time would be mispent in basic or introductory lessons, for those said newly to be initiated."

"I am Clyde Sullins, formerly of Syliras. I look for employment at this University, in teaching Glyphing."
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Eldritch on October 31st, 2013, 7:35 pm

Professor Stonemiller listened intently to Clyde as he spoke, looking somewhat satisfied at his apparent dislike of those seeking magic and only seeing the upsides. He leaned forward, intently listening as the reimancer sold his skills as a Glypher to him. The man stroked his rough stubble in interest, his expression betraying nothing of his exact thoughts. If he were particularly observant Clyde might notice a slight flicker of distaste cross the Professor's face as he mentioned Syliras.

When Clyde was finished the aging man would simply continue to regard him with interest, though it was understandably with the caution that one skilled wizard would display around another skilled one. He wouldn't speak for about a chime, instead staring at the man before him as though trying to see everything about him. After that time he would lean back in his chair again, muttering something imperceptible to the ears. His eyes closed briefly before opening again after a few ticks, his eyes slightly glazed over but fixed upon the young man before him still.

Professor Stonemiller's eyes stayed that way for a good while, a few chimes as he continued to stare at Clyde. After that time his eyes would close before returning to their usual steely quality. He grunted slightly, nodding to himself.

"You are certainly a fair bit more than meets the average eye, Clyde Sullins. My understanding was that Syliras lacked many with your level of... quality. We also don't normally receive many wizards or scholars from the City of Peace." Stonemiller said, barely hiding the disdain of Syliras from his voice.

"Regardless there is currently a slot open for an Instructor of Advanced Glyphing, already I have received a few applications for the position from graduates of the College of Djed. They have each proven to up hold traits the College strives for, caution, academic integrity, and understanding of the risks of the Arcana. You are an unknown quantity by comparison." The aging man stated.

He held the Reimancer's gaze for another moment, before looking down behind his desk and pulling up a blank sheet of parchment. He slid the document across the desk to Clyde, placing the inkwell and quill he had previously been using across the desk as well. He then leaned back again and steepled his hands before him.

"You will display to me your skill in Glyphing, if I am suitably pleased we will discuss the possibility of granting you a position here at the University. If I am not you will leave my office and not return." The aging man said, inclining his head to the document.

Again the man closed his eyes, opening them a couple of ticks later to stare at Clyde with the returning glazed quality. He would remain silent throughout, giving no signs of approval or disapproval. His expression would be emotionless throughout, taking in information with collected and unreadable calm.
Eldritch

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Clyde Sullins on October 31st, 2013, 10:38 pm

Clyde smiled at the professor, at his mentioning of Syliras. Clyde himself found it best to be careful when mentioning the city, lest he go against a ardent supporter of it. And considering how close to the place they were, it seemed only to likely that someone would be. He did not want to come off as anti-Syliras, especially considering the reason he was here. Better to toe the line, and if anything to be ambiguous in how he spoke on it.

However a small shiver went up his spine, as he felt the tingle of djed upon the air. This tingle turned into a shiver across his skin, as he felt something wash over him. By the taste of it in his mouth, he knew it was magic related. Considering the way Stonemiller was looking upon him, and the feeling, Clyde was fairly certain the man was examining him with Auristics. That or some other magic was about. But he doubted the chance of another spell being worked at the same time as he was with this wizard. The odds were not too favorable.

The other chance was that it was hypnotism, since that also was not visible, but he did not believe that was the case since he was doing no action. Though now that he thought on it, he really needed to find out more about that magic, and how it worked. But after a time, the feeling ended, as whatever magic was afoot ended. Clyde gave Stonemiller a look, but pressed on without mentioning the magic. But if he had been looking at him, and saw his reaction upon it starting, there was a good chance he knew Clyde knew.

"I originally hail from Syliras, but that is not the place of my learning. I found it was better for me to leave, if I wanted to... Freely work on my various skills. So I left years ago. And Syliras is not exactly open, when it comes to magic or the learning of it. So I would not lay my knowledge or expertise at their feet. As you said, Syliras is a bit lacking in regards to... Quality of mages..."

Clyde paused for a moment, deciding not to drive onward. Perhaps he would have mentioned he had done much of his training in Ravok, at the Institute there, but he thought better of it. Particularly due to his... Other activities.

As Stonemiller expounded the various qualities of a good teacher, along with why he was uncertain of Clyde, he said nothing. He could not fault the man on his clear logic, which was without fault. However, he had not yet posited a question or said no, so Clyde let him continue onward.

Then he gave Clyde a ultimatum, a task, which would mean either being hired, or not. He had to "display his skill in Glyphing." All he had was a piece of paper, and the tools to write on it. Simple ingredients, which were the staple of a Glyphers trade.

What could he do? What alone would be impressive. Best to be quick and simple, yet still layered in skill. Something that was not time consuming, and yet could not be done by a lesser Glypher. The only thing that came to mind, was triggers. They were one thing which did not matter what they were connected to, whether simple or complex, which could still truly show ones skills.

Clyde began to speak, as he wrote, writing on one corner of the parchment, a few lines of text in common.

"I could do quite a bit, but I assume you don't want me to waste your time. So instead, I will show you something which will represent my skill, without being overly complex. And as I have always told my prior students, a mage should find the simplest solution to a given problem, which uses the minimum of effort and energy to solve it."

Clyde reached into his pack, and took out a simple steel dagger in its scabbard. He slid it out of it, sliced off the corner of the parchment with the writing, and handed it to Stonemiller, before returning his dagger to the depth of the pack.

On the paper was written "I, Clyde Sullins, hereby give Professor Stonemiller of the University of Zeltiva, on the 60th day of the season of fall, permission to look upon my works of Glyphing."

"Please keep that upon your person, for now."

With that, Clyde began to Glyph at high speed, using the quill on the remainder of the parchment.

He drew on a circle in the middle of the page, and then in a 2nd long curving motion made a waving line all around it, just barely in contact. Thus was his focus. Then he made series of interwoven curving lines, which arced around the focus a half inch away. He kept overwriting this with more curving waves all around it, however setting each one slightly forward, so that a identical echo of it would be seen, with each line drawn shifted slightly to the right. He did another one of these, but by then the lines were so close to colliding he stopped. Thus was his barrier, drawn in short order.

Finally, Clyde turned the parchment, and drew a small triangle on one side, with the tip in contact with one edge of the barrier. Writing more text in common, Clyde wrote lines of text next to the flat side of the triangle. It said the following:

"Upon anyone without the express written permission of Clyde Sullins who is the maker of this parchments Glyphing, permission given upon the 60th day of summer by Clyde Sullins, looks upon this parchment, the trigger will activate, releasing the barrier and freeing the magic stored within."

With that, Clyde placed his left hand over the focus palm downward, exuded a small spurt of res, and retracted his hand. He then willed the res to move downward, and then transmuted it into air. A tiny gust was freed, and blew into the focus to be trapped.

And with that, Clyde was done. The entire process of Glyphing, res and all, perhaps taking a chime or less.

"There you have it. As I said, the main emphasis is on the trigger and its wording, which would be non-functional for someone without the requisite skill in Glyphing. Assuming my Glyphing has gone correctly, when you toss away that paper which was given to you on the specified time and gives you the required permission, and then look at the Glpyhing, it will go off destroying the scroll. But as long as you have the paper, it will remain dormant."
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Eldritch on October 31st, 2013, 11:55 pm

Stonemiller simply observed Clyde, his Auristic sight never once wavering through the reimancer's demonstration. He had taken the paper without comment and noted the speed of his work, his expression still unchanging. Once Clyde was finished Stonemiller would look over the sigil of power with some interest, his magical sight still in his eyes. After about a chime he appeared to be satisfied and tossed away the paper the Reimancer had granted him, his gaze still upon the document.

Sure enough, as soon as the paper left his grasp the sigil released the magic contained within. A slight gust of air flew out from the scroll, shifting the papers on the desk a little. The parchment itself crumbled upon the desk, having been used up after the magic was released from it. After a few more ticks of observing the aftermath Stonemiller closed his eyes and opened them, their glassy quality once more replaced with normalcy.

"Impressive. Most Glyphers here are not capable of such feats, your trigger was very specific and quickly drawn. I would say with confidence that no greater a Glypher has graced the halls of the University." The aged professor said at length, nodding to himself.

"Your reimancy was also very much flawless, your aura indicates a great deal of power lies hidden within you. More power than any one member of the College of Djed." He complimented, though his tone indicated no pleasure or displeasure.

The older wizard sighed and produced another piece of parchment, reclaiming his ink and quill. He started writing, scribbling away in cramped and nearly illegible handwriting. As he wrote he spoke again, indicating that Clyde still very much possessed his attention.

"You are skilled, more than skilled enough for the position. You also seem to possess a mature understanding of magic, one no doubt defined by personal hardship. However." Stonemiller started, his eyes flicking up to Clyde at that last word.

"I want to be perfectly clear. The College of Djed, indeed, the whole of the University, is not Sahova. We do not condone illicit research, nor do we accept the wanton disregard for the safety of students or faculty they possess. As the Head of the Magic Department and, by extension, the College as a whole I intend to ensure that our stance as a center of safe and exemplary education is upheld. I trust I am clearly understood, Clyde Sullins?" The professor said, looking fully down at the document once more.

He continued his scribbling for a solid chime before looking down at it, nodding silently. The older wizard then passed the document over to Clyde, his gaze still very stern. The professors handwriting was barely legible but the common lettering could still be deciphered after a bit of observation.

The undersigned has agreed to accept all policy of the University and College of Djed, as well as to follow every rule and law set forth both at the time of signing and henceforth as long as connected to the University.

The undersigned will be granted, upon completion of a psychiatric examination to assess mental stability, the full position of Instructor of Advanced Glyphing Studies. This decision is made at the discretion The Head of the Magic Department, but is subject to review by the Board of Regents who can rescind this upon determination of questionable competency of the undersigned.

This position is static for a trial period of sixty days. Upon completion of those sixty days the undersigned may attempt to submit a formal thesis to the Board of Regents. If the thesis is found suitable, and the undersigned has proven his performance to be acceptable, they will be granted the full position of Professor of Advanced Glyphing and all rights awarded.

_____________x

The professor idly picked up another piece of parchment and started scribbling away, waiting for Clyde to either sign the document or speak. As he wrote he addressed the Reimancer again.

"I trust you realize that this position will grant you more problems than benefits." The aging wizard stated abruptly.

He didn't elaborate, and he wouldn't speak further on the subject unless Clyde prompted him. The man simply continued to scribble away, halting every now and then to consider his words carefully.
Eldritch

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Clyde Sullins on November 1st, 2013, 12:43 am

Clyde stared back at the man, not nodding, certainly not wanting to appear prideful. He knew his own skills, knew he was strong in certain areas. He also knew he was weak in others, and untrained in still more.

But on the things he was good with, he was indeed very good. And he knew his triggers were good. In fact, they were one of his specialties, running through the logic of it to find possible gaps and issues. He still recalled the first grand oath he had made... He could not help thinking of issues in it, from what he had learned since, issues he would remedy in the making of any new ones.

Then Stonemiller as much as admitted that he had examined his aura, which Clyde assumed was through Auristics. He found that was a good sign, that he admitted it, since it seemed to show there was no subterfuge, or perhaps not in a direction which would directly be an issue.

As he finished speaking of the personal hardships of which Clyde had likely befallen, of which there were legion, he finally turned the train of the conversation, with a simple however. But, when he did, it was not as bad as it could have been. It was more of a warning than anything else.

It was interesting to say the least, but with the eye of a person who had made a grand oath, he did not find anything at fault. Nothing he would do would directly go against anything it said. His business had nothing to do with the school, especially since most of it had been prepared before arriving. And he had no plans to involve any students in anything. Though from his words on this, it made it sound like such a thing might have been an issue before.

Clyde took the paper, and signed it in his own somewhat legible writing. His signature being less legible than the earlier letters on his trigger. But still his signature.

"I have taught before, I know the risks of teaching, of the fact that what you show someone can be misused and twisted, or used haphazardly. However I assure you, I have no plans to endanger any students, and I believe in using the utmost caution when doing actual magic. Better to be overly prepared, than not prepared enough. I think I know quite well what dangers can be brought about by carelessness, or shoddy work. If nothing else, perhaps I can ingrain that knowledge into my students brains."

This was true, especially when Clyde went about applying his magics, particularly Reimancy. He always practiced a spell in private before using it in a real combat setting. And when doing something tricky, he took several sessions to work his way up to it, working on the underlying principles in order to truly understand it, to keep any risk taking to a minimum.

"Though your words do make me wonder, did you have any particular problems in mind, that my new position might bring about? Forewarned is forearmed after all, and while I doubt it will scare me off at this point, I would like to know anything pertinent."
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Eldritch on November 1st, 2013, 1:13 am

Stonemiller absently filed away the signed document, filing on the side of his desk. He kept his eyes on the document but once more Clyde had the professor's attention. A slight sigh escaped his lips, sounding slightly exasperated.

"Just by signing that document you've made a rather powerful enemy, a member of the Board of Regents by the name of Agatha Simone. One of the applicants for this position was her rising star, a particularly talented boy by the name of Finian Nathel. His Glyphing is no where near your level of proficiency, however I suspect her goals here had nothing to do with the position and more to do with another of her power plays." He explained.

"Finian is a Voider you see, a very talented Voider. Recently I was asked to decide what disciplines the College will and will not teach, Voiding was near the top of my list. Agatha wishes to rescind this judgment by calling for a vote on the Board to overrule my judgment, in order to do that her pupil was to hold the position of Instructor of Advanced Glyphing. If he'd showed himself to be an exemplary teacher, which by accounts he is, then the Board may indeed be swayed by her move." The professor stated, finishing his paperwork and moving it aside.

"By taking this position you have provided me a credible excuse to deny him the position, which in turn deals a blow to Agatha. Unfortunately, that places you on the top of her bad list. You are now an obstacle for her, one that she will seek to discredit and remove from your current position." Stonemiller finished, steepling his hands before him and staring at Clyde.

He paused for a good while, his expression unreadable once more. He simply waited for the gravity of the situation to sink in for the younger reimancer. After a chime he would speak again, a rare ghost of a smile finding its way to his face.

"So, you see, your life has been made a good bit more difficult. Skilled you might be but without much backing I don't see you lasting too long." He replied, shrugging slightly.

He didn't speak further, indicating that if Clyde wanted to know more he'd need to ask himself.
Eldritch

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Clyde Sullins on November 1st, 2013, 1:35 am

Clyde was not exactly certain what the board of regents was, but they sounded important. He noted the name, Agatha Simone, he had a feeling it would be coming up at some point. He also noted Finian Nathel. He would need to write all these peoples names down as soon as he left, he did not want to risk forgetting any, and he was learning many at once.

"Voiding... Yes, I have some knowledge of it. I would say in some ways, it is even more dangerous than Reimancy. Though admittedly my knowledge of it is less than complete. But practicing it in safety... That would be tricky, not something to be done easily. Just preparing a room to be used for its teaching, would be a arduous task, and likely would require both Glyphing and Shielding."

Clyde stopped for a moment, lost in thought. He knew of both voiding and shielding, because he could use both magics. Admittedly, only at a very low level, especially when compared to his skill in Reimancy. He wondered though, could you task a shield to block the effects of a voiding opening? Or to ignore the pull it could give off? He was not sure.

"I am glad I could assist you in delaying him, even if it is only for a time. There is little worse than someone being forced on you not by merit, but out of some political reasoning. Perhaps I won't last long, and perhaps the reason behind that will be her or one of her flunkies. I cannot say. But I will do my best, for the time I am here."

Clyde let out a small smile. It was a bit funny, considering he had just left Ravok behind, where things had been interesting to say the least, and he had just recently had to deal with a plot to kill him by a skilled poisoner... And now he was in Zeltiva, with true scholars, and still there was intrigue and trouble.

"As for my life being difficult... I cannot recall having a quiet season to myself in quite some time. I have been all over Sylira in the years past, several times. I have seen things that would have left lesser mages dead. In fact, a few of those things did leave lesser mages dead... Few moments have not been hectic and crazy. I cannot say I would not have liked this place to have been at least a momentary respite, but I will not wilt under the trouble I have gained either. I don't doubt she will be a foe, or that she would be dangerous, but I cannot help but think I have seen worse."

Clyde recalled back to a few of those events. Facing down against a Zith, with nothing but his staff he now held keeping it at bay. Watching as that same Zith was burnt from the inside out by his res, and was consumed in flames. The bandits he had killed. The legions of Yukmen dead by his hand. The yukmen not killed by him, which had slaughtered his first apprentice, who died somewhere in the Cobalt Mountains... Facing down against a madman, who might have in truth been a God, and surprising him with logic only possible in the state of pain and chaos he had been in. At any other moment, such a discovery would have seemed mad, but in fact had been truth... He had been busy for quite some time.

"So, I suppose that is all? Is there anything else I should know, or need to do? Where will I be staying and such? What will I have access to?"
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Eldritch on November 1st, 2013, 2:24 am

Stonemiller simply sat and listened, nodding in approval once Clyde finished speaking. Clearly he was very pleased by the younger wizard's responses, finding them to meet his expectations wonderfully. The aging man thought to himself for a moment at Clyde's inquiries, before exhaling heavily.

"Indeed, there is more. As long as you are in Agatha's bad graces I'd expect to be watched, she'll likely be looking for an excuse to have you removed from your position." He stated.

"Your psychiatric evaluation on the 63rd will probably be her first attempt to move against you, so I'd watch every word if I were you. Likely she'll select someone she knows well to discredit you before you even start." He said.

Stonemiller collected both the document with Clyde's signature and the other one he'd just finished writing, appraising both before setting them down before him neatly.

"Watch what you say and only speak when you are certain your words won't be twisted. I wish that I could help you in this, but I have no doubt Agatha will arrange for my hands to be tied. If you pass the evaluation however, I'd suggest you seek Lisaelis, a member of the Board and the Head Librarian of the University. She and Agatha are known not to see eye to eye." He suggested.

The older man inclined back into his chair and looked occupied with thought as he considered the younger man's other questions.

"For lodgings I would suggest the Worlds End Grotto, its an adequate establishment. If you are searching for something more permanent, you will need to talk to a Sailor's Guild representative, they handle public housing now." He stated, nodding slightly.

"You will possess access to the Wright Memorial Library's restricted section, which possesses a number of tomes on magical subjects. You will also possess free access to a classroom of modest size, with all necessary supplies freely proved by the University. As you are not a full professor you will not possess an office, nor will you be able to utilize certain facilities for personal projects or research unless run by me." The professor said, stroking his stubble once more.

Stonemiller examined the two documents once more before sliding them to the side again, picking up another blank document and starting to write again.

"Have you any further questions?" He asked.
Eldritch

Office
Scrapbook

Next