Dogwoods and Daffodils (Roebak)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Kavala on May 16th, 2010, 3:24 am

"Why would you do that? It's deceptive. If they were illegal or taboo then why were they there to read and be borrowed? Think about it." She said softly, reining in her temper. Kavala, for all that she'd snapped, was relatively mild mannered. But she did consider his grabby hands and his bullish attitude unwelcome. She was just glad it was a book and not her own person.

"Are you saying I cannot figure out simple magics like Auristics? Look at me, do I look like a....." She started to say filthy ignorant human, but curbed her tongue because that category was one in which her brother and father fell into. Suddenly, she wanted Akela's ability with a sword so she could wave it under his nose. First he insulted her, then backed that insult with another that seemed to suggest she was incapable of performing a simple task like studying someone or something else's aura? Kavala almost shook with anger and shock. The man was a ... a ... words failed her. She considered herself lucky to know the Akalaks that she did - the gentleness of Sorien and the quiet fortitude of Hatot. But they had blue skin, pale on one and a rich luxurious cobalt on the other. His skin was red, and she wondered if it had any meaning. Eyes roamed up to his face, checking for tattoos. Hatot had warned her away from the Cerulean. They were dangerous and prone to outbursts that weren't always safe for people like herself. Maybe this was one boarderline... or perhaps it was like talking to Navis or Radris....

She took a cautious step back.

It was the second time she'd backed off from him. Her mind glanced to her cloak and she moved over to it to kneel down. It wasn't really to protect her things, but moreso to be closer to the darts that she'd already given up. Hatot would have called her a fool for surrendering a potential weapon before she was sure about the intentions of the other. And she wasn't sure. Not at all. He seemed to mean well, in his own way, but his words came out wrong.

Wrong.

"I'm a healer. Why would I want to study something like Voiding or Reimancy? I couldn't perhaps even use them being one of Rak'keli's own."
Kavala said softly, her eyes narrowed. She watched him closely, but almost wondered if he was crazy. None of the men had ever mentioned magic being taboo or illegal in Riverfall. Why did this one seem so afraid of it... or at least afraid of someone finding out he was using it? Kavala sighed.

She nodded at his introduction and looked thoughtful. "A jeweler? What does jeweler want with voiding? You should be more careful what you do and say. Grabbing at a Naviak can get things cut off in rapid order. We tend to be a little jumpy with good reason. And generally the first things we think to cut off are the things you might not want to loose. And insulting them as well... is not the best way to get off to a good start." She added, already having packed most of her things up.
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Roebak As'karri on May 18th, 2010, 8:55 pm

Roe was at a loss for words. Everything thind he said only made things worse, and while he was trying to fix things she was gathering her things to leave. Also, she had a look in her eyes that suggested she feared something. It had to be him, but why? As far as he could remember he hadn't shown any aggression at all, concern perhaps, but that was it.

He tried to explain his comment about learning Auristics, "No! No, I did not mean that you couldnt perform Auristics, only that it was statistically unlikely. Most of the population cannot perform magic, and that is why it remains a rare skill. That is also the reason for thier suspicion of magic, and thier misunderstanding of it."

He continued to try and explain himself as she threw more of her misunderstandings at him. "I did not suggest that you would want to learn either of those, only that they are considered more dangerous both to the user and those around them than Auristics is." Roebak was talking quickly of course, but even as he concentrated on explaining things, his second soul was taking advantage of the situation and speaking inside thier head.

It was unlikely that it would accomplish much, Roe's twin spirit had only escaped twice in his entire forty some odd years of life, but it took a sadistic pleasure in saying and thinking things to Roe, suggesting the unthinkable and graphically describing things that Roebak would rather not hear. Roe mentally pushed these thoughts away though, in favor of Kavala's comments.

His reply was somewhat slowed, but it seemed more out of embarrassment than anything else. "I..." his tongue licked his lips quickly before continueing, "I am weak. And unskilled. In the forms of combat that is. In that regard I shame myself, so I seek an alternative form of defence. If I could make an enemy disappear, lost in nothingness, then there would be no need to fight."

OOC: And it specifically states in the magic description that most of the population fear and distrust magic and magic users, thus why Roe has that same oppinion.
"Bravery is not the lack of fear, but the ability to act through fear."
Roebak As'karri
Any Fool Can Destroy Something

Words: 13410
Joined roleplay: April 19th, 2010, 3:22 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet

Postby Kavala on June 1st, 2010, 5:52 pm

Kavala lifted an eyebrow. "Statistically unlikely? Sounds like 'cannot' to me. And look, if its just because I'm female or a Konti, you are wrong. There's a lot of things both combinations can do. My sister, for example, is about the best swordsman I know." And if she were here, she'd probably run you through just for giggles... Kavala thought uncharitably. The man was irritating. Everything he said was like raw sandpaper on wounds she already had. His fear of magic, his switching dust jackets at the library... she should report him. What nonsense was he spewing now? Kavala thought as she caught the last part of what he was saying...

"Who's suspicion? Who's caution? Who's all these 'they' people? The sound like very ignorant people to me."
She said, her eyes narrowed with anger. "The Gods destroyed the world with their powers. We didn't. Everyone knows that. The Akalak, the konti, the humans, even the Ethaefal." She said forcefully.

Word after word he seemed to be insulting her. His magic was more powerful, more dangerous, less accessible. Well, she didn't exactly have any magic of her own, unless you counted sitting there peacefully reading a book on Auristics. But the whole thing was ridiculous. He was arrogant, assuming, and more than a little opinionated and she suspected prejudiced.

"I don't believe you."
She said abruptly, when he confessed he was weak and unskilled. He was the size of a house. All Akalak were. They were the embodiment of strength. "You're enormous. Strong. All of you are taught from boys to fight. And how is it more honorable to suck an enemy into a void or burn them with magical fire than face them with your own strength. The alternative seems cowardly to me." She said, abrupt shouldering her bag and getting ready to leave. Scooping up her cloak, she swung it around her and fastened it back in place. Glancing around, she whistled for her horse, hoping he was within hearing distance and hadn't wandered away too far.

OOC: PCs aren't 'most of the population'... they are always exceptional creatures.. and above average or extraordinary folks.
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Roebak As'karri on June 23rd, 2010, 8:02 pm

Roe just shook his head. It was clear she was leaving at this point, and he figured it wouldnt really matter what he said, or if he said anything at all. He knew that yes, compared to other races he was very large and strong, but compared to other Akalaks, he was weak.

He also knew that killing an opponent with magic was a cowardly thing to do, however, it was the difference between life and death. It was down to surviving now, rather than honor.

She whistled, as she stormed off, and so he stuck his nose back into his book and walked off in another direction. As a side thought while he left, he contemplated about the probability of wether he would ever be able to speak without offending someone.
"Bravery is not the lack of fear, but the ability to act through fear."
Roebak As'karri
Any Fool Can Destroy Something

Words: 13410
Joined roleplay: April 19th, 2010, 3:22 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet

Postby Cayenne on August 2nd, 2010, 4:08 pm

Good thread - well done in staying in character in an odd situation for both of them... some people forget how their characters would react in a situation in order to make them 'mesh' better - it was nice to see players staying true.

I hereby award the following:

Kavala
Auristics - 2 XP
Writing - 2 XP
Research - 2 XP
Weaponry: Blow Darts - 1 XP
Interrogation - 2 XP
Rhetoric - 3 XP
Lore - What is Auristics
Lore - The Differing Auras of Beings
Lore - Red Akalaks

Roebak