[University] Professor Rochlas (mod)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Postby Hadrian on June 23rd, 2010, 6:20 am

"So there is an element of the utility of a relationship with a deity as well, then," Hadrian mused, "which is also not an exclusively Akvatari trait." He thought for a while, and then began again. "I wonder at the silence of the gods with regard to the Akvatari, whether there isn't a purpose hidden there. I'm no theologian, of course, but there's also the Denvali precedent. Though the gods apparently answered some prayers, no gnosis prepared them for the revelation that they were not alone in the world until Captain Wright and her crew found them. And too, the ethaefal: we assume that they exist on our plane again because of an injury to the fabric of the realms of Syna and Leth, which may very well be the case, but I assume the two gods could keep their avatars close to them if they truly wished it.

"I suppose that's pure speculation, though," he added thoughtfully.

"Sorry, I'm straying from the germane."
Hadrian
Most smartest and best damn tapper.

Words: 1050304
Joined roleplay: March 21st, 2010, 6:50 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Liminal on July 14th, 2010, 10:42 am

Rochlas shrugged. "In cultural studies of any kind, there's no such thing as straying from the germane. As for the silence of the gods, certainly many among the Akvatari have made similar hypotheses to yours, though in the absence of proof either way, it's pure speculation."

He reached onto a nearby table and picked up a slender volume. "Actually, since you mention it, perhaps you'd like to have a look at this." He passed the book over to Hadrian. "This is a replica of an interesting piece called the Codex of Xalz. It's a document with something of an unknown past, as the first time anyone seems to have come across it was in an inventory that the University Library -- not yet the Wright Library -- performed in 386 AV. It claims to be an immediate post-Valterrian document written by a survivor of the cataclysm, one Coldai Xalz."

"The general consensus is that it's a 2nd-century AV forgery, though you'll find people who believe it's genuine. It doesn't agree well with Damerilat, who's of course the definitive source for Alahean history just before the Valterrian. But it's worth a read, if only to see what sort of history's been given to a people whose past is so resolutely blank."
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Words: 256313
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2009, 7:09 am
Blog: View Blog (3)
Race: Staff account
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Hadrian on July 14th, 2010, 11:41 pm

"I remember this," he said, opening it only to give it a once-over. "I mean, I didn't read it in its entirety, but a professor cited it in a class regarding early post-Valterrian cultural shifts. How Aqwittah became Akvatar... and how the Aalsi might be predecessors of the Akvatari. Winged people," he pointed out, then blinked at something toward the end. "Seals. Well, I can see how that would either be seen as proof or too coincidental to be believed."

He looked up, curious.

"And you, Professor? What is your opinion on the Codex?"
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Liminal on July 15th, 2010, 3:37 am

The Professor gave a small shrug. "The arguments against its veracity are impressive. Damerilat's Factual Register of the Empire only mentions Aqwittah -- he spells it the same way -- only in the section labeled "Navigational Hazards," and lists no settlements on it at all, claiming it to be "uninhabited." Given that Damerilat's tediousness is exceeded only by his remarkable accuracy, that's a fairly large discrepancy. The ship Xalz claims to own is remarkably small for a Zeltivan vessel of the era; no merchant ship in the surviving Shipyard Logs holds fewer than thirty crewmembers. It's possible that that's simply an artifact of the spottiness of early records, but nonetheless, it's another point. There's no other historical mention of Coldai Xalz, though that's no major problem. But the fact that the Codex doesn't show up until the 386 inventory, the third one conducted by the Library -- that's rather a more serious difficulty."

A sigh escaped his lips. "The thing is -- and any reputable scholar will freely admit this -- the question still remains of why anyone would forge this. Given the document's past, monetary gain is unlikely, and it makes no historical claims anyone would want to enforce. It doesn't even seem to be particularly interested in notoriety. Unless there was something in the missing portions of the Codex, that part remains a puzzle."

He shook his head. "There are other references to Sinala -- one in a recently-discovered anonymous 2nd century BV text on leeching, the True Diary of Transmutation, though it disagrees sharply with Xalz's characterization of the place -- and one in a simple list of place-names dated 57 BV, though that doesn't mean anything other than that the name had been used somewhere. As a scholar, I wonder if perhaps there's some oral tradition, some folktale that's been preserved here, especially since the leeching text uses the word 'myths.' Most oral histories contain some fragment of truth, but determining which portion of the story holds it is difficult indeed. There may even be the conflation of several traditional stories taking place, grafted onto the appearance of the Akvatari."

Then a sad smile. "As an Akvatari, I wonder if perhaps the gods are simply taunting us through the Codex, dangling the solutions to the problem of existence just out of reach. But the problems with the document are damning, and I can't bring myself to accept it as anything more than a murkily-preserved traditional tale given a new context."
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Postby Hadrian on July 15th, 2010, 4:12 am

Hadrian nodded glumly; he did not like a mystery he could not unravel. He glanced down at the copy of the Codex again, his hand resting on it in his lap. He decided that he would read it, though, thoroughly and exactingly, even after Rochlas' clear expertise on the matter. One never knew when he would come across something that might connect somehow and reveal more to him. And, on a more esoteric note, he figured that with gods as meddlesome as Mizahar's, there was always a chance that things crossed one's path for a reason.

"Has anyone spoken to the Nuit sorcerers on Sahova to find out one way or another? Several of them are reputedly pre-Valterrian souls still walking around in a post-Valterrian world. If not, it seems a likely place to look. They would still count as first-person accounts and could be collected by contemporary historians and anthropologists."

Surely he couldn't have been the first to think this, but all he could do was ask. Rochlas would know.
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Liminal on July 26th, 2010, 12:54 am

Rochlas nodded. "Inquiries have been made, but with little to show for it. The problem is that, although Sahova and many of its residents predate the Valterrian, it was designed as a specific military research and development group. As such, they had limited information regarding what was going on in other parts of Mizahar; even the general history they can provide is fragmentary, consisting largely of what each individual wizard can remember of the time before they became Nuit. None of them seem aware of anything useful involving Aqwittah. It's a good question though."

The professor leaned back, his wings brushing against the wall. "At this point, given that you're a relatively advanced student, I'd like to give you the opportunity to ask any questions you might wish, either regarding Akvatari society and culture specifically, or cultural anthropology in general. I'll do my best to give you the most correct answers I know how." A sardonic grin briefly twisted his lips. "My expertise, such as it is, is at your disposal."
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Postby Hadrian on July 26th, 2010, 3:54 am

"They do seem to be rather self-absorbed from what I understand," Hadrian agreed thoughtfully. He was already sorting through questions that had piqued his interest within their current conversation, his previous classes, and his own mad rambling thoughts.

"Three questions, then, if you'll permit me:

"First, with regard to the Akvatari, where do you project the culture to be within the next generation?

"Second, with regard to my aforementioned desire to apply anthropological ideas to better cohabit with violently unfriendly cultures while studying, do you have any advice for surviving as a warm-blooded human among the undead of Sahova?

"And third, just because, do you think sufficient data exists to theorize that Akalaks, Konti, and the Akontaks are actually of the same species? It just seems that with the recorded data of live births being most between Akalak and Konti as well as the only homogeneous hybrid being theirs... Well, it was an idea I've had. Surely I'm not the only one. Have you any thoughts on the matter?"

It seemed like Rochlas was finally wrapping things up, and Hadrian was dismayed, but he also realized that he was all but exhausted by the high level thinking Rochlas required. And besides, it was only the second day of Spring. He still had all season before graduation...
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Liminal on August 3rd, 2010, 2:21 am

The professor nodded at each question, taking his time before answering them.

"Projecting the future of any culture is a tricky proposition. But the basics of Akvatari culture show little inclination toward change. The expansion of Zeltivan trade routes means that the cultural influence and prestige of Akvatari arts are likely to increase, of course. But if I were to visit Abura in thirty years, I would expect it to look much as it does now, socially if not in the superficial physical respects."

As if suddenly thinking of something else, he inhaled. "If there are changes to be made, they'll likely be in the Undercity. That's the name for the caverns beneath the city, a series of half-drowned chambers and passageways. Any Akvatari can visit, or even live there, of course, but the dominant influence there is the halfbreeds. Couplings are possible between an Akvatari and many other races, but the general result is a child with a tail but no wings. With the aerial parts of Abura out of reach, and life on land similarly difficult, the Undercity is where many of these offspring make their homes. It's even more depressing than the rest of the city, if such a thing is possible, but it's also more socially unsettled. Not in a class oppression kind of way -- there's little if any tension between the Undercity and the Overcity -- but in a generalized ennui sort of way. I don't know what changes would happen though."

"As for the second question, the most important thing to remember is to look out for yourself. The Sahovans aren't hostile, not in any traditional sense, but they have absolutely no remaining concept of what the living need. Huge portions of the island are utterly uninhabitable to the living -- you or I wouldn't last five seconds in them. If you wait for someone to offer you a meal, you'll starve to death. The Sahovans can remain occupied in a single project for years, sometimes not even breaking for rest or conversation. You have to be proactive, because your needs won't even occur to them."

He stroked his chin thoughtfully. "As for the Akalak and the Konti...I think their destinies are somehow connected. I don't know that I'd call them the same species, but I'd definitely consider them two halves of the same puzzle. Nysel and Avalis know more than they're telling about this."

Rochlas nodded, and his wings twitched. "I'm going to give you some time to think if you have more questions or comments. Come back before the end of the term and let me know. At your level, learning is less about rote instruction, and more about engaging the minds of other experts."
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Postby Hadrian on August 3rd, 2010, 3:56 am

"Thank you, sir," Hadrian said, smiling as he rose and shouldered his book bag. "It has been enlightening. I will report back soon to see what help you need. I do work-study; I'm not sure if Registrar Sanderson told you.

"Anyway..."

END

OOCAnthropology on my face! Thanks, Liminal... that helped me get a deeper sense of a lot of Mizahar.
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Liminal on August 3rd, 2010, 4:24 pm

I enjoyed this thread too!

+5XP Anthropology
Lore: Akvatari Culture
Lore: Codex of Xalz
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Previous