[Temple of Laviku] Secrets Within Secrets (Edreina)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Postby Ignotus Everto on November 7th, 2013, 12:29 am

Ignotus, with some difficulty, suppressed a smirk. "You wish to grow strong through arms?" he inquired. It would not be particularly difficult to guess what he thought of such a venture. But contempt for the sword was not what Edreina was after. No, she wanted information. Or at the very least some idle conversation.

In response to the Svefra's question, he shrugged and said "To thank him for not making the season any harder than it had to be for my people. The sea was kind, even if the Denvali were not."
There really wasn't much else to it. He'd given Sagallius plenty of thanks, and Akajia got a fair amount of love as well. But Laviku had been kind enough to not chuck any horrifying storms of record famines Zeltiva's way, and that was enough to at least warrant a visit.

A thousand thanks to Phoenix for the gorgeous blue frame, and a thousand more to Edreina for her beautiful magic-themed one!

Correspondence Thread
Ignotus Everto
Only Mostly Mad

Words: 292905
Joined roleplay: May 6th, 2012, 5:57 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Edreina on November 7th, 2013, 3:22 am

"Our Father is a wise one," the Svefra said with a smile, flicking a glance over her shoulder at the image of Laviku. And then, something about the tone of his earlier comment came flickering back into her mind. It had nearly sounded as if he was not one who quite cared for the art of sword play. His home was just disturbed by war, she considered, though the details of said battle were still a bit blurry, It would not be illogical for him to dislike fighting in general.

A hand disappeared into her bountiful bronzed locks as she scratched her head, smiling nervously. "I'm not very good at the lessons Razkar has to teach." And it was true. Every time she picked up a blade she tended to do herself more harm than the imaginary enemy. "I've learned that in order to make my way in this world, I've had to resort to other... means." Though her skills working with the Djed were far weaker than she would have liked, it was a start, surely. And now that she had found her niche, she would one day be able to epitomize it. Before Ignotus could make any guess as to her hinted means, Edreina decided that it was best she change the subject. "By your tone I took it that you do not like swordplay... Why is that?" Almost habitually, her hand fell to caress the aged leather of her whip. Somewhere deep in her mind, a more easily distracted part of Edreina wondered if the whip fell into his pit of distaste as well.
Edreina
Unbound

Words: 1079180
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2013, 1:40 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Lore Author (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Ignotus Everto on November 11th, 2013, 1:57 am

The waifish sailor girl was bad at wielding a broadsword? Shocking. Absolutely gob-smacking. Really. Her mention of other means was fortunately assumed to be use of charm and innocence, not sorcery. And then of course she moved on, and Ignotus did as well. "I was once accosted by a bigot in the woods." he reminisced, "He was as large as two men, and as thick as an oak tree. In his hand was a gigantic cavalry lance he used as a spear."

As the Nuit gestured at the imaginary warrior's size with his right hand, a grim chuckle escaped him. that little shyke cost him a body!
"Apparently, my existence was abhorrent to him, and he sought to end it. The first lightning bolt shattered his weapon. The second slew him."
Letting his hand fall onto his lap, he remarked, "The fool would have been better served jumping off a bridge than attacking a wizard. That's why swordplay is silly to me."

Perhaps not the most pacifistic answer, but it was the truth. Hardened warriors who weathered Djed storms and killed as a profession and hobby fell before him. The very skies and seas he could bend to his will, if he so chose. What could a man with a flimsy bit of metal do to him?

"Really, I think you're quite wise resorting to those other means." he said, "Much more lucrative, and by far more reliable. Honestly, you'd probably be better focusing on them instead." Of course, he didn't know he was condoning magic. Funny how these things turn out sometimes, no?

A thousand thanks to Phoenix for the gorgeous blue frame, and a thousand more to Edreina for her beautiful magic-themed one!

Correspondence Thread
Ignotus Everto
Only Mostly Mad

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Edreina on November 11th, 2013, 3:14 pm

"Your a wizard!?" Edreina exclaimed dumbly, before blushing intensely. "I apologize.... It just explains to much I've been wondering over." Great. Let a fellow know you have been thinking about him and he will assume all sorts of incorrect things. Best be moving on. "Is that thing with the wind all that you do?" That thing with the wind...? Gods you really are loquacious under pressure.

Sighing through her nose, she shook her head and pinched its bridge, attempting to gather her scattered thoughts. "You said that he found your existence to be abhorrent." That was a new Common word she would commit to memory and use against Razkar later on. She was not entirely sure about its meaning but the context gave her enough clues to go on. "Why is that? Simply because you practice magic instead of the more brutish arts?" Poor, innocent Svefra knew nothing of Nuits. But, after spending so long in Syliras, she had become accustomed to the persecution of wizards though it was a practice with which she did not entirely agree.
Edreina
Unbound

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Ignotus Everto on November 14th, 2013, 1:16 am

"Of course I am!" Ignotus laughed, "What else would I be?"
Really, he was starting to wonder if Edreina had been drinking recently. While her thinking about him wasn't misunderstood, it still swelled his sizable ego just a little bit. "Reimancy, my dear." he corrected gently, turning his palm up and letting a robin's egg's worth of Res bubble up and hover as an orb above his hand. "And wind is just the start." The surface of the lower half froze into a shell of ice, whilst the rest turned to water.

The Nuit let the little demonstration remain for a few ticks, then vaporized it with a quick flash of flame. "There's much more I do, but describing it would just be stuffy and confusing." he said dismissively. "No... I think you'd much rather I showed you." And with a winning smile and a gentle subliminal nudge, why not?

In response to Edreina's other question, he gave a bemused shrug. "That's what he said."
'But enough about that unfortunate soul; shall we go somewhere less noisy?"

Correspondence Thread
Ignotus Everto
Only Mostly Mad

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Edreina on November 14th, 2013, 7:40 am

The Temple was not, at least in Edreina's opinion, a noisy place. But, the constant coming and going and motion of people certainly detracted from conversation. "I wouldn't mind at all," she said with a smile. After all, Ignotus was proving to be an intriguing enigma of a man. For every question he answered, two more rose to bite at her tongue with insistent little teeth. And, more than that, he knew of magic. Perhaps he could teach her a bit more than her previous mistress - and boy had she attempted to take that word to its second meaning - had. Despite her constant practicing, she felt like there was some concept of the art that she had not picked up on or been instructed upon.

"Would you mind leading? I don't know Zeltiva too well, yet." She stepped to the side to emphasize her point, smiling slightly. "And... you're right," the admission came with a grin more sheepish. Talking about magic with others was still a foreign concept. His art was... strange and fascinating to say the least. The previously sea-bound Svefra had never really seen anything like it and wanted to know more. But, until she gained a clear understanding of his opinion of magic as a whole, she would endeavor to hide the art she had come to practice. "I would very much like a demonstration."
Edreina
Unbound

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Ignotus Everto on November 18th, 2013, 3:01 am

"Let us be off, then!" he chirped, and so they were. The World's End grotto was a very short walk away (he wasn't about to traipse halfway across the city with a guest in tow when there were nearer, equally handy places available), which was good for both their legs. Perhaps Ignotus' dead ones more than the Svefra's.

"So what interests you about magic?" asked the Nuit amiably as they neared the inn, "Usually the only people who like it are wizards themselves, or hopefuls. And you are?"

Not long after Edreina answered (or didn't), they were at the Grotto's door. Ignotus muttered a quick word in Nader-Canoch, and a small, undead pigeon fluttered from the lip of the roof. "Some might find Animation, especially the animation of flesh, a touch morbid, but..." he smiled and gave the little zombie a stroke on its head with his pinky, "I think one can find beauty even in false life. The one who taught me even considered her creations her children."

Unless the woman wanted to take a closer look, the bird was soon dismissed, and the wizard stepped to the side of the door, giving a little one-armed curtsy as it opened seemingly of its own accord. If she was observant, Edreina would notice his other arm had gone limp. "After you, my dear." he drawled.

Correspondence Thread
Ignotus Everto
Only Mostly Mad

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Edreina on November 18th, 2013, 3:53 am

"I hope to be a wizard one day. I feel that through magic, I can get more done more effectively than I can through physical means." Her answer was well worded and carried the melody of practice. Obviously, she had explained her actions and justified them many times in her so far short journey. The opinion that such approaches to conflict were cowardly had attempted to rub off upon the mind of Edreina as it was constantly spewed, even subliminally, by Razkar. The Myrian was held in high regards by the Svefra but he could not be right in everything. Edreina knew what was best for her and her abilities; the physical arts would never suit her, the art of Djed weaving would, in time.

At the mention of bringing life back to flesh gave Edreina a chill. Such an art was known to her only in legend and lore, so it was shrouded in a worrying mist of mystery. Open as she was to new things, Edreina still - wisely, perhaps - harbored a natural fear of the oddities that were unknown to her. "I don't know enough about it to form an opinion, but the mere thought of something living after it was marked for an end by Dira seems... wrong..." she said quietly, almost to herself as she walked into the tavern, nodding her appreciation for him holding the door. With her mind elsewhere, she noticed not his useless arm.

The World's End Grotto was far nicer than other places she had been in Zeltiva. Absently, the woman who was still unused to the concept of trading coin for goods and items found herself wondering if the paltry sum she kept on her person was enough.

The tavern's room was crowded and there was no table left for them to occupy. Oddly, several lone people managed to take up an entire table instead of clustering together. One particular man caught her eye, sitting near the wall, staring into an empty glass. Well... he's not doing much... And... Ignotus has already shown me some of what he can do. Besides! It's not as if I'll be hurting him... As always, she logicked herself into it, excusing away any of her qualms. Sighing, Edreina slipped into the persona she had worn while working at the Herald's Arms, hoping it would assist her endeavor.

The Svefra became all glittering eyes, bouncing steps, and flashing smiles as she strode over to him, rising to her toes in order to weave her way through the tavern. The expanses of honey-colored, freckled flesh surely did not hurt her appearance.

"Excuse me, sir," she said, leaning onto his table with one hand supporting her. Djed colored her voice when she spoke next. "I think it's time for you to get another drink." A red head bobbed in the direction of his aforementioned empty mug and the smile remained in place. She hoped that this would build upon one of his already existing whims, bringing it to the front of his mind so that he would act upon it.

But, Edreina lacked the skill and the desire she had hoped to craft with her Hypnotism was fuzzy at best. "Thinkin's time fer ye te pesh'off," was her growled response as the man looked up at her with bleary red-rimmed eyes.

If humans were trees, Edreina would have lost all of her leaves in that instant. She had not the will to attempt anything further and returned to Iggy with a bashful smile, shrugging apologetically. She had said that she was interested in magic, not how far she had progressed in the study of the art.
Edreina
Unbound

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Ignotus Everto on November 18th, 2013, 5:32 am

"A wise sentiment." he replied reassuringly. "For you will find that the mind, unlike the body, has no limits to what it can achieve." He understood, a faint hypnotic undercurrent whispered to her. He supports you. He believes in you.

Upon hearing her thoughts on Animation, he shrugged and said, "Fair enough. Though I suppose this little guy isn't really alive, per se. More like his body's been given a new purpose. Nasty, yes, but wood and steel tend to move with difficulty."

Ignotus' astral arm slipped back into place as he entered the tavern behind her, and he couldn't help but laugh at her attempts to flirt herself a drink... Or not?

Presently his brow began to furrow. So much emphasis on one word... That doesn't seem very sexy to me. And she just wanted him to get another... But that's not...
Gods, if it was, she was awful. Although... If it was, and her intentions were to get herself a drink... Then that might not be half bad. Well, unless she was actually highly skilled, but wanted him to doubt her ability, thus making him an easier target. But then, suspecting her of being a Hypnotist would just make him a harder one regardless, thus that possibility was... Unlikely.
Easy way to find out.

"Was that what I thought it was?" he inquired with a pleasantly surprised smile. Unlike Edreina, he had decades of practice and experience manipulating minds. Thus, he was much more familiar with how to, say, implant the idea that it's safe to tell the truth without being ham-handed about it. It could still fail, of course, he wasn't perfect... But, if one were to ask him, he'd say he was pretty damn close.

Correspondence Thread
Ignotus Everto
Only Mostly Mad

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Edreina on November 18th, 2013, 5:39 am

Ignotus should have known that getting information out of Edreina needed no hypnotism. It was as easy as asking, as making your desires known without any attempts at guile. "If you thought it was me attempting to Hypnotize that guy so that he would give us his table, then yes. But, as you can tell, I'm really quite awful at this. I've only been practicing for part of a season and well... I've not had much instruction. My teacher was a Dhani and she attempted to use it to seduce me." So much personal information given out with naught but a bashful shrug and a small smile. Could it be his hypnotism or her inability to decide what should be said and what should not. In any case, he had given her no reason to hide anything. On the contrary, his acceptance of magic had given her the courage to be a bit more open about it than she would have been with others.
Edreina
Unbound

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

PreviousNext