Closed [The Moon Festival] A Time of Revelry [Jenni, later Samsara]

Ignisa and Jenni meet during the Festivities. Moderator Intervention is encouraged :P

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

[The Moon Festival] A Time of Revelry [Jenni, later Samsara]

Postby Ignisa Winterflame on October 31st, 2013, 2:44 pm

Circles within circles, lines within lines. The streets of the four outer peaks of Lhavit were indeed a maze to any who were not entirely used to them, and those who knew not where they wandered to. It was made all the more complex tonight by the various performances and entertainments that had been set up by the residents in their respective area, and Ignisa had to mentally keep track of where she and Jenni were wandering to when they had to make diversions around various obstacles. Yet, in this night of somewhat rowdy entertainment, Ignisa felt at home as she had never had truly felt elsewhere, even when she had once visited the city of Avanthal in her youth as a stranger. Having all but grown up in Lhavit, her way of life was Lhavitian, her ideals with Lhavitian, and she would never have changed it for the world. Indeed, heritage played an important role in the life of the family of Lanna Winterflame, and the full-blooded Vantha in their family still paid tribute to the Queen of Winter despite their exile.

Silence did grow between them. But it was not an uncomfortable silence, no. It was a silence made by those who felt no pressing urge to say anything inane or unnecessary, who decided to appreciate the companionship of the people around them, of the person walking beside them, while enjoying the surroundings at the same time. And Ignisa did enjoy such moments. Much as she like to talk, she also liked to think, to relax, to enjoy the moment. It was something she had learned to do, to seize the most of what could be. And so they walked, occasionally pausing to watch a street ballad or performance, or listen to the echoing voices of the choirs bouncing off the peaks, or even to admire the glowing nature of the flora in Lhavit under the stars. Humming a quiet tune to herself, she joined into accompaniment to one of the songs in the distance as she looked up at the full harvest moon, so close to Mizahar was Leth, that she could even begin to see the unevenness in the celestial object.

Then Jenni decided to break the silence with a question, and it was a question that Ignisa had expected the girl to answer eventually. Curiosity had to be expressed sooner or later, and Ignisa had to admire the attempt at diplomacy the girl had displayed with regards to her family background. But the truth was, Ignisa would not be able to satisfy that curiosity, and could not. "My family entered a … you could say that it is a sort of self-imposed exile from the city of Avanthal. I do not know the reasons behind it, truly, but all I recall is that when I was very young, perhaps about five or so, our family was no longer truly welcome in the city. We were not driven out, nor cast out in any manner, but my grandmother deemed it prudent to leave the city." She shrugged, a flicker of ancient pain in her eyes flashing to the surface in a trace of deep blue before disappearing in the liquid brown. "I cannot say that I truly know what it is to be a Vantha of Avanthal though, because I left before I could learn about the culture of my native city. For all intents and purpose, I grew up in Lhavit."

She laid a comfortable hand on the girl's arm, a slightly sad smile playing on her features as she turned to the north for a short moment, as though trying to see the icy depths of the city of Avanthal. Then she turned back to the scenes in front of her as they stepped on one of the Skyglass bridges leading from the Tenten Peak to the Zintia Peak. The ground dropped away beneath them as they walked, and occasionally mist would drift below, bringing a grey cloud that obscured the occasional lights that floated below in the lower circles and streets of the city of Lhavit. In this remote space, this overarching majesty of Zintila's power, time stood still as they drifted up towards the centre of the bridge, the Skyglass material glittering in varying and beautiful hues that shimmered and rippled with every step that they took. "What about your family, Jenni? What was it like growing up in the Twilight House?"
Ignisa Winterflame
Player

Words: 40330
Joined roleplay: October 4th, 2013, 6:37 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Jenni Twilight on November 1st, 2013, 10:48 pm

x
Jenni listened to the given story with mild interest, curious about Ignisia's story. A 'self imposed exile' was an interesting concept... maybe the family shamed themselves so much they decided to leave? It would make sense... considering they weren't technically 'forced out'. She frowned, wondering about the various reasons. There was quite possibly no one alive to ask... and thinking about the Vantha's love for oral tales, rather than written ones, they probably didn't have any kind of history written down. "Does anyone alive in your family know the reasons for your departure?" she asked, curiosity getting the better of her. She wanted to know what would cause such a large family to leave and travel so far from their native home... from what she vaguely knew of Mizahar's geography, there were many other places one could go before Lhavit.

She nearly shied away when a hand was laid on her arm, but she resisted the urge just in time. She knew it was to relax and calm her, and it worked, but... it was a little surprising, and unexpected. She forced herself not to shake off the kindness, and instead focused on the next question... her own family. It was a tentative subject, but if the Winterflame gave her own story... it was only right to trade. She sighed, not really feeling like giving up such a personal thing, and not wanting to burden the kind woman with such a less-than-happy tale. Still, she had no logical reason to refuse... so began in a quiet voice.

"Well... during the first few years, when Aysel and Talora were still in Lhavit... I barely remember anything. But things were nicer, at least. But then they left, at about five hundred years after the Valterrian. As you probably know, the Houses grew in power... and of course the Twilights among them. Of all the houses marriage wise, the Twilights were the least... accepting about marriage. And being born an illegitimate child, let's just say... Weisur didn't approve of me. My father and Altelo were nice, but everyone else... less so. Things went on like that for years... and though I got almost everything I wanted - books, classes, you name it... I was still the lowest of the low in the House.

"But then the Day of Discord came around, and everything changed... more or less for the better, for me. Though our wealth dropped dramatically, when Altelo took his place as head... I was more respected than before. And everything worked out, I guess... though there are still grudges."
Jenni shrugged, feeling slightly awkward talking about such a subject. She shuffled a little, staring blankly at the ground, but quickly shook herself out of the daze. She clasped her hands comfortably behind her back and glanced up, taking in the still magnificent scenery. Thinking back on it, it was quite nice to talk about these things. As awkward and slightly sad as they were, it was nice to get it out. Her father wasn't exactly the most... understanding person. Not to be mean or anything, it was simply the way he was. Great with numbers, less so with people.

Common - Nari/Crook - NPC - Writing - Reading

x
Jenni Twilight
The Past Lights Our Future

Words: 130941
Joined roleplay: August 19th, 2013, 12:12 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Ignisa Winterflame on November 6th, 2013, 3:32 pm

Carvings were etched onto the Skyglass bridges, stories and legends almost seeming to come to life with every shimmer of the Skyglass, with every glittering eye that glanced her way as a result of the lifelike carvings. Stopping by one of the more elaborate drawings on the bridge, Ignisa laid a gentle hand on the features of Syna, the Goddess of the Sun, in a scene where the sun burst out from behind the clouds, from the darkness, to illuminate the world once more as the Valterrian receded and the chaos gradually died down. Long wavy hair drifted out from her head, mingling with the wisps of cloud that surrounded the sun, and the joy depicted in the carving was evident, as were the expressions of devotion of the common people carved below, coming into focus as she stooped to view the picture in its entirety. Her hands traced the artistry of the bridges, as she had done so many times before when she had had the opportunity to, and she took in Jenni's words at the same time, even though she was apparently devoting all her attention to the stories told in the carvings. Even having seen them for as long as she could remember, Ignisa still learned more every time she stopped by to relook at the carvings.

There was always far more meaning to the stories told in such paintings and carvings than would ever meet the eye. Indeed, such painting and carvings were always subject to personal interpretation, far more so than spoken or written text - that was one of the beauties of such depictions.

"It is a fool who hopes to please everybody." Ignisa finally replied, her voice soft and distant as though she were talking to herself. "It is a fool who hopes that no one bears him or her any ill will over the course of her life." Standing, her robes swished in the breeze over the peaks as clouds drifted beneath them, pushed by the winds that were channeled through and magnified by the mountains of the Misty Peaks. Turning her gaze to Jenni, her eyes were serene and calm, a hint of deep blue swirling in the brown, before the colours faded to clear crystal like water washing away dye, and then the natural brown colour returned to them once more. "Simply have faith that you are more than what your House sees you to be, and that even though you might not exactly be a part of the Twilight House's heritage, you still have something to offer to them." She smiled down at Jenni once more, though indeed it was tinged with a trace of sadness and resignation. They resumed their stately glide over the bridge towards the Zintia Peak, and before long they stepped into the hustle and bustle of the plateau, people streaming and laughing as they went about their business, celebrating the harvest moon.

"I do not really know why our family left Avanthal." she finally responded to Jenni's question. "I never found out from Lanna, the Matriarch of our family. It's a secret that I believe would be best left buried for the meantime, and so I've never pursued it. I do know it had something to do with a conflict of religion, though." Ignisa shrugged, before switching the topic. "Now, I was thinking of going to the Temple of the Moon to pay our respects to Leth on this night. What say you?"
Ignisa Winterflame
Player

Words: 40330
Joined roleplay: October 4th, 2013, 6:37 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Jenni Twilight on November 8th, 2013, 6:39 pm

x
Jenni followed Ignisia quietly, mind lost in her own thoughts. The city was more beautiful than usual tonight, and her eyes were lost in taking in all the lights and sights. They were quite pleasing, to be honest... She always loved Lhavit when it wanted to be pretty, though it was still magnificent at all other times. The skyglass added an ethereal feeling to the area, and the carvings that filled it were beautiful in their own way. She paused when the Winterflame paused, but her views were more focused on the cityscape rather than the close up beauty. The winking lights of fires dotted towers and valleys, and the skyglass... always the skyglass... practically glowed with light.

She missed most of the Vantha's philosophical statements, mind to busy watching, and wandering. She wondered what would happen to such beauty if a quake did happen. Would the city band together, become stronger? Or would it dissolve into anarchy grown from fear? She honestly hoped for the former, but no one knew what would happen... few people could tell the future, and she probably wouldn't like to delve into it even if she could. Things came as she came... she didn't mind the present, but loved staring into the past instead. That was where the real light was, in her mind.

She returned as soon as her companion spoke about Avanthal. The story was an interesting one... so no one seemed to know? That was interesting... but religion was a touchy thing. She thought all the Vantha were devoted to their Queen... but maybe that was why they'd left. Frowning to herself, she mused on this for a moment, but nodded at the offer to go to the Temple of the Moon.

"Good idea... I'd like to do the same, myself. Lead the way..." The Twilight motioned forward for the woman to take the lead. Though she knew the way through the city herself, it was more a gesture of respect than anything else. She also wasn't entirely focused on the world at the moment, and mostly feared about getting lost in her thoughts... and in the city.

She paused for a moment, trying to think up something else to fuel their conversation. Finally, she asked "Ignisia - when did you learn Reimancy? I mean... what got you into it? I know, as a member of the Twilight family, I was practically required to learn morphing... but what about you? With all the dangers of magic and such..." She glanced at the woman and smiled slightly, shrugging her shoulders. She'd been well educated on the problems of overgiving, in a family of 'mages', as you could call them. Morphing was what the Twilights were known for, what they did for a living. However, the Winterflame wasn't required to join that 'group'... and every mage had their reasons for learning to use their Djed. Ignisia was sure to have one.

x
Jenni Twilight

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Jenni Twilight on November 25th, 2013, 6:43 pm

x
After a short conversation, the two parted ways... apparently Ignisia had immediate, urgent matters she had to attend to, cutting their leisurely walk to an end. Something about screaming children, if Jenni had heard correctly. Still, she'd decided to continue on her way to the temple, and pay her respects to Leth on this night. Though she hadn't minded the company, solitude was more her thing... and especially gave her time to think over the conversation that had recently occurred.

Soon enough, she found herself in the milling crowd of Lhavitans that had gone to also honor the god of the moon. The Moon temple was more beautiful than ever, glowing with a faint light that was incredibly similar to that of the moon itself. High arches created a tall ceiling, and after a little maneuvering, the Twilight found a good place near the pool that was the temple's center. She stood at the rim for a moment, staring at the gorgeous reflected beauty while her mind wandered. Those around her were whispering quiet or silent prayers to the god, and... it was time for her own, as well. Glancing up at the ceiling for a moment, as if she could see the moonlight just from there, the morpher clasped her hands together and continued to watch the practically glowing water.

"Leth, please... on this night, bless Lhavit and all it has... please stop those tremors from growing worse, or happening again... I do not know how the city will react... Please, protect Lhavit."

Short speech done, she backed away, eyes distant as she did so. As she made her way back, out of the crowds, and home to the Twilight tower, her mind wandered. She didn't think Leth would have much influence over something so physical as earthquakes, considering they were not his domain. Still, it was always nice to hope, though she preferred basing things off fact than anything else. But respecting Leth, Syna, and Zintila was part of her culture, and her life, and she wasn't about to insult them by ignoring their gifts. Though she truly loved Eyris, and all her wisdom, she still followed the other three gods, and respected their domains...

OOCIgnisia skipped with permission

x
Jenni Twilight

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Elysium on November 30th, 2013, 9:19 pm

Ignisa Winterflame

Experience
Socialization +4
Observation +3
Rhetoric +1

Lore
Lhavit: The Moon Festival
Lheili of the Dawn Tower
Jenni, Scholar and Child of Nosumo Twilight

Jenni Twilight

Experience
Investigation +4
Socialization +3
Politics +1
Observation +2

Lore
Lhavit: The Moon Festival
The History of Post-Valterrian Tectonics in Kalea
Ignisa Winterflame, Reimancer of Dawn Tower
The Verbal Tradition of Storytelling
The Exile of Winterflame Hold

Notes
This was a very solid thread. Jenni, you earned yourself a bunch of lore through some awesome, thoughtful investigation. Good work! If you have any questions, let me know.
Elysium
Never venture, never win.

Words: 519270
Joined roleplay: December 12th, 2012, 9:49 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Artist (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Previous