Solo Night is Day Pt. VIII

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This lazy agricultural settlement rests on the swampy shores of the Middle Suvan at the delta of The Kenash River. The River's slow moving bayou waters have bred a different sort of people - rugged, cultured, and somewhat violent. Sprawling plantations of tobacco and cotton grow on the outskirts of the swamp in the rich Cyphrus soils, while the city itself curls around the bayou and spawns decadence and sins of all sorts. Life is slower in Kenash, but the lack of pace is made up for in the excesses of food and flesh in a city where drinking, debauchery, gambling, slavery, and overbearing plantation families dominate the landscape.

Moderator: Gossamer

Night is Day Pt. VIII

Postby Lacerta on November 23rd, 2013, 1:08 pm

Summer 91st, 492 AV

Considering it was the last day of Summer, Rosa had decided to head out to the city, and enjoy the end of the season. It had been nearly a year since the death of her sister, and remarkably, the woman had recovered quite well... all the while, Lacerta was continually impressed with the Paille's self control. Sometimes she spotted faults in Rosa's composure, or times when she nearly broke down, but otherwise... she was as composed as ever, if slightly colder to those she didn't know well. Lacerta herself was practically treated like Marie's replacement, another sister, just... technically not related. She'd managed to force the loss out of her mind as well, and most of the time... she forgot there had been two of them, not just... one. She'd technically spent the most time with only Rosa, rather than both Rosa and Marie, so this felt more... normal, if you could put it that way.

They had only recently gotten off the carriage they'd taken to the city, and were now on a short walk attempting to stretch their legs. The Paille woman had suggested a park, though they hadn't decided which... Kenash had numerous parks, each more beautiful than the next. Rosa herself was wearing one of her better dresses, in an attempt to show of to other Dynasties who would be wandering through the city as well. Like the woman herself, it was simple and elegant, pale blue silk mixed with crisp folds and other accents. Over her time with the woman, the Eth had developed some taste in style... at least for noticing it. More like she could identify that 'that looks bad', and 'that looks nice', though her friend had attempted to teach her otherwise. It never seemed to click, however, and she preferred critiquing things like music, for example.

The pair found their way to Reed Park, one of Rosa's favorites simply for the general solitude you had there. At the moment, the tide was low, with tall reeds visibly growing out of the mud that made the park's 'ground'. They, of course, stayed on the sidewalk, considering you could easily get stuck in the mud below. The wood, despite having been there for quite some time, was as sturdy and simple, creating a walk-able path through what would normally have been an un-passable marsh. At the current time of day, approximately noon, there was none of the beautiful sunset that the park was well known for, but the slight breeze that ran through the reeds was still remarkable... it gave the park a sense of life, really.

The Paille led them to a small bench overlooking part of the park, it's wooden seat worn with many visitors taking a seat as well. They settled down, the younger woman folding her skirts under her like any dignified Dynasty lady. They sat in silence for a moment, Lacerta not daring to - or feeling like - speaking, until something else deemed it time to break the silence. A chirping could be heard first, the calls filling the mostly quiet park. Then the bird itself appeared, hopping on top of the reeds like they were great, strong poles that could simply be walked across. It was a basic songbird, probably some kind of sparrow, though neither of them had the bird knowledge to correctly identify its species. It chirped a little more, bringing a small smile onto both of their faces, before glancing at the pair of women.

The bird didn't seem to mind their company, but apparently had better things to do than watch them. It took flight with a few quick wing flaps, and disappeared into the cloudy sky. The scholar watched the creature fly away for a moment, before grinning slightly. "Wouldn't you like to fly? Just... leave this place whenever you wanted..." She sighed quietly, before scratching her head slightly. "I'm getting tired of Kenash, and all it's rules. Marie was better at that. I wish I could go somewhere... with less slaves." The statement had a touch of bitterness, which was collected into a sharp laugh at the end. The Ethaefal's eyes widened slightly at the statement... she hadn't heard this opinion yet. Rosa wanted to leave? That was new... very new. But it seemed well thought over, rather than impulsive.

She gave a wry smile at the thought, considering her own travels. She'd avoided Kenash for just that reason... the slavery. She could never stand it, and now... she was stuck in it. However... the statement gave her a slight hope. A slight hope for freedom, and finally getting out of this dratted city. "You know," she commented, trying to keep her voice light and airy, with a joking tone to it. "I can sail quite well, in my opinion... I used to travel quite a lot before other things decided to come my way." She didn't want to get into a bitter recollection of getting captured, as that was long gone and past... but the Paille seemed to want to know. "How were you captured, Lacerta? I never asked..." The woman gave a small smile, causing Lacerta to sigh quietly to herself... she would have to tell the story anyways.

"In Riverfall... oh, years ago... I think ten? Maybe more. Anyways, I met another Ethaefal, a son of Syna. We became quick friends, and eventually decided to sail to Syliras... as that was apparently his dream. I agreed, since I liked having company while sailing, and we moved on..." She sighed, not really liking this part. The beginning was so calm and innocent, when you thought about it... and just became depressing and irritating afterwards. "Well, nearby Kenash, we came across a boat. They claimed to need carpentry help, and the Ethaefal - Apus - claimed to have a basic knowledge of the trade. I followed him... I didn't like or trust the sailors, and I wanted to keep an eye on him. But... it wasn't me who needed an eye kept on..."
Lacerta
Daughter of Syna, past Eypharian

Words: 199277
Joined roleplay: May 6th, 2013, 11:10 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Night is Day Pt. VIII

Postby Lacerta on November 23rd, 2013, 1:47 pm

"When we got deep into the ship's bowels... Apus turned on me. He sold me to the sailors - slavers, really. He'd apparently had this all planned out. They took me to Kenash, sold me to the Rajors... and, well, then things happened." Lacerta shrugged, hoping she'd managed to keep most of the bitterness out of her voice... especially when talking about Apus. Even over the years, she still harbored hatred for him, enough to make her scowl at any mention of his name. The Ethaefal had betrayed her, made a fool out of her... he was going to pay, the next time she saw him... if ever. Only Syna knew if the Ethaefal was dead, or on the other side of the world completely. With her boat... and her flute. She hoped in her goddess' name that he hadn't sold that, nor the ship... it would have been a blow harder than simply being betrayed.

"Oh" Rosa said simply, several notes of sorrow and pity mixed in that single word. The Paille seemed to have no other words for the situation, so just let things settle into silence once more... However, it was a calm, warm silence... one of general companionship. Another bird filled the air with its calls, then another, and a third joined in, creating an odd but pleasing melody. Sighing quietly, the Eth relaxed all her tense muscles and leaned heavily on the back of the bench, eyes flicking up to stare at Syna for several moments. She felt like she needed to do something, start some kind of conversation, but fell short on a topic. Everything that came to mind was simply to... awkward. She wanted to avoid awkward topics of conversation, if she could. She'd had enough for today, at least.

Luckily, the Paille seemed to have noticed the silence as well, and broke it in moments. "You sail, right?" After a quick nod, Rosa mused for a moment, before standing up from the bench. Lacerta hastily followed, eyeing her friend skeptically. "Then lets visit the docks, shall we?" Without another word the woman strode off, continuing down the boardwalk in the general direction of the docks. This time their walk held quite a bit of purpose, considering they had somewhere to go... though the Ethaefal had no clue why they were going to the docks in the first place. She sailed, yes... but the point? She didn't understand that. Well... somewhere else to go, something new to do.

They reached the docks and wandered for several moments, before the sailor noticed something... odd. Something familiar. Her eyes locked on the shape immediately, and she muttered "This way..." before striding purposefully in the item's direction. A boat's direction, to be specific. A very, very familiar boat... with the same sails and everything. It was moored on the docks, though with no occupants in sight. When she was finally close enough to see the name, painted in looping letters on the side, she froze, mind whirling.

It read Starry Sea.

It was her boat. Her boat. Her breath hitched, and she'd stopped fast enough for Rosa to almost run into her. "No..." she gasped, eyes widening slightly. Why was her boat in the docks? Was Apus here? Was he really here? Her heart filled with hope and thoughts of revenge, and it began speeding up. "In Syna's name..." She shook her head in amazement, before remembering to explain this all to her friend. "That boat," she began, glancing back and pointing with one long arm, "Is my boat. The one Apus stole..." She glowered at the wooden construction, before coming to an indecision. Her boat was sitting here, in the harbor... but what would she do with it?

Would she run up, and steal it? Sail away with not thoughts back to Rosa? What would the woman think? Would she come? What is Apus was in the boat? Well... there was one certainty there. She'd push him off the side like there was no tomorrow. Let him flounder in the water, for all she cared. She snorted softly, before realizing that this all relied on Rosa... what would she think? Would Lacerta be able to simply leave? There would still be this dratted collar... would the Paille come? Would she dare to? She'd mentioned wanting to leave Kenash... oh, if only. It felt too good to be true, but the Eth held onto it tightly like there was no tomorrow. If she did run away... what if they sent someone after her? That wouldn't end well. She was probably a rusty sailor after all those years, and though she could remember what to do... would her body be up to it?

Sighing irritably, she glanced up at Rosa, seeing the woman was stuck in a similar state of amazement. However, her eyes quickly hardened and her mouth curled into some kind of a smile. "Well... it's your boat, isn't it? Lets take a look." The woman stalked off, every inch of her body taking command. The composer followed with raised eyebrows, wondering where this would lead... would they leave together? The Paille had certainly agreed that it was her boat, even though slaves didn't have property in the first place. They were property. However, when they boarded the small ship, her lips had twitched into a small smile as well.

On deck, it felt like it always had... it was neat and clean, with nothing lying around. The cabin area was open, but Lacerta couldn't bring herself to look inside. If Apus was there... she didn't know what she would do. And she didn't want to do it in front of Rosa, for sure. The woman was wandering around on deck, lightly touching things like the wheel, ropes, the sail. She also stubbornly ignored the open hatch, trying to take in the surface first. The Ethaefal stood near the stern, hands clasped tightly behind her back. Her eyes focused just on the mainsail, and she didn't trust herself to look anywhere else... not yet.
Lacerta

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Night is Day Pt. VIII

Postby Lacerta on November 24th, 2013, 2:20 pm

Finally, as Lacerta had expected... he came. The familiar Ethaefal pushed himself out of the cabin, to stand right in front of Rosa. Apus blinked at the Dynasty lady in confusion, before scowling. "Hey! What are you doing on my boat?" he demanded, tone harsh. Oddly enough, his horns and hair weren't in the shifting stage that Lacerta's were... his hair was a straight red, and horns a gold color... the same colors he'd had when she'd left the man, actually. However, the sailor was to frozen in mental conflict to really notice this. Her entire body was stiff as she stared at the man, but no emotion leaked through... because she didn't really have any emotion. Her fingers twitched slightly, but her entire mind was focused on... Apus. She was clueless on what to say, what to do. Talk to him first? Force him to apologize? Or just shove him in right then and there?

Luckily, the Paille was sensible enough to still have her composure up. "Your boat? Yours? I have someone who can claim otherwise." She smirked, and motioned with her head in the general direction of Lacerta. Apus scowled, opening his mouth to retort something, before spotting the taller Eth. His jaw dropped open and his face paled, something of panic filling his eyes. It took the man several moments to recover, before her took on a smirk of his own. "You look quite pretty in that collar" he commented, straightening slightly in mockery. The flutist wasn't entirely sure how to react... the insult had worked, for sure, but she didn't want to show him how much it hurt. She stood, frozen for a few moments, mind racing on how to respond.

Once again, Rosa saved her, using a tone filled with the hate that Lacerta herself was feeling. "Think it's pretty? That's nice - maybe you'd like to try one on for size yourself." She took a step forward, bringing herself to full height... which was still nearly a foot under the tall but graceful Ethaefal. Apus spun back and took in a breath, taking a step back himself... leaving him tipping dangerously on the edge of the steep steps down into the cabin. "You wouldn't dare..." he hissed, shaking his head. "I'm a Freeborn! I have the papers!" He glanced wildly around, as if said documentation would simply be lying around on the deck. His face now held a scared, trapped look, panic filling his eyes... and satisfaction filling Lacerta's.

She couldn't help herself, and took her own step forward. "You took my boat, my flute, my music... where is it?" Her demand was hard and cold, and though it changed the subject... it felt quite on topic to her. That was the real crime, the real theft. She'd get back what was stolen, then find out if Apus could swim... That thought brought an unintentional smug expression to her face, causing the other Eth's visage to twitch slightly in confusion. While the man was distracted, the Paille took another step forward, sending the thief stumbling back a step. That, of course, sent him tumbling down the stairs to land hard on his back with a groan. The composer almost crowed with delight, but allowed Rosa to delicately descend the ladder-like stairs to stand beside Apus' head, before following herself.

The woman leaned down and checked the man's pulse and breathing, before shaking her head. "He's unconscious" she reported in an emotionless voice, straightening her back and skirts. The pair paused for a moment, each waiting for the other to speak in an awkward silence. Finally, the scholar spoke again. "What do you want to do with him? Throw him in the water?" Her voice was quiet, but still surprised Lacerta... mostly how spot-on the comment had been. "Yes" she muttered in reply, before crouching to grab Apus' feet. Slowly and awkwardly, she dragged the man up the steep steps, stopping for a breather on the deck. She then rolled him onto the side, before hesitating once again. Unconscious like this, he'd drown in the salty water... and she didn't want to kill him so intentionally. Luckily, the Eth gasped and sat up, glancing around in confusion. "Wha-" he began, but was quickly interrupted with "Swim." On that simple word, the sailor pushed him off the edge to flounder desperately in the dark liquid below.

She didn't want to watch. She didn't know what to feel, really. Instead, she simply straightened and watched Rosa, waiting to see what the woman's reaction was. Both of them refused to meet each other's eyes for a moment, desperately trying to ignore the curses of Apus as he desperately swam to shore... apparently he could swim. Wordlessly, the Paille pulled something small and metal out of her pocket. Fingering it for a moment, the woman approached Lacerta and stood on her tippy-toes to reach the Ethaefal's neck. The composer herself froze, unsure of what was happening, but knowing she shouldn't move in the slightest... Soon enough, there was a click, some vague sort of tug on her neck, then... nothing.

A slow hand raised up to rub the spot on her neck, touching it and prodding it delicately. It was sore from all those years, but finally... it was gone. The collar was gone. Eyes slightly widened, she stared at Rosa, who wore a small smile. The collar had all but disappeared, leaving them in... peace. Quiet, calm... peace. Sighing quietly, Lacerta took a heavy seat, slumping to be under her friend's height. "Thank you..." she muttered, not sure what else to say.

"Riverfall" the woman said, voice returning to it's usual upbeat tone. The Eth's head shot up, confused. "You remember how to sail? Let's go to Riverfall." There was a pause, then "Please." She stared up at the woman for several moments, emotions swirling. Leave? Yes... leave. Finally. Leave. No more collar, no more Kenash. Finally... she'd be out of this place, away from it, hide from her years as a slave.

A grin quickly grew as she hopped up, nodding. "Of course! Please, take a seat." She motioned to one of the benches, before quickly untying them from the dock. Even after so long without being on a boat, the motions came back to her easily. She quickly moved to the fenders, untying them and storing them too. In chimes, she had the boat moving out... and ready to sail.

The End: A Quick Conclusion :
After finally leaving Kenash, both Lacerta and Rosa quickly grow closer and happier. However, their lack of thought when preparing the boat led to problems:

Rosa fell ill, a horrible mix of sea sickness, lack of water, and lack of fresh food. After several terrible days of dehydration and vomiting, she eventually passed away only days from the safety of Riverfall. Lacerta was torn, though gave the woman a proper sailor's burial, letting her sink into Laviku's embrace.

Lacerta herself spent only a season in Riverfall, before returning to simply float in the sea, attempting to make up for all the lost time she'd had by staying close to both her gods, and playing and writing music to her heart's content... all while mourning her friend and companion's tragic death.

Apus had managed to drag himself on shore, where he was confronted by a pair of men. Lacking any sign of freeborn identity, he was enslaved and sold into another of the Dynasty families, taking Lacerta's 'place' as one of the few enslaved Ethaefal. Five years later, he died in a Rujaro skirmish, along with multiple other slaves.
Lacerta

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Night is Day Pt. VIII

Postby Translucent on December 2nd, 2013, 11:41 pm

Congratulations On Your Hard Work!

Lacerta:
XP:+1 socialization, +1 observation, +1 storytelling,+3 rhetoric
Lores: Betrayal of a friend.

Notes:A very lovely story all told, I am glad I got to read it all. Don’t forget to edit your grade request.

As always PM me if you have issues.

Translucent
To be Translucent is to be Vulnerable.

Words: 187106
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2013, 12:59 am
Race: Staff account