Closed Between Two Lungs

{Shiress}

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Between Two Lungs

Postby Shiress on December 5th, 2013, 6:28 pm

For Shiress the journey back to Hadyn was far shorter and less tiring than the journey to the midwife. Half a fist full of words were exchanged between the brunette and the woman, loud clopping of steady hooves against the stoned street and the screeching and moaning of the wooden cart made it difficult to hear, much less be heard. The two females rode in silence, one urging the horse with leather the other with thoughts.

The streets were steady with activity and familiar faces, faces that usually adorned the Stallion for the lunch bell. Shiress tilted her face skyward as they passed from beneath the citadel, Syna's rays meeting with narrowed green eyes. "It's noon she whispered "I'll not be tending the bar this day" After tea with Hadyn, Shiress was to have gone to work for the lunch bell, but things had taken an interesting turn to say the least.

Shiress slid to the edge of the hinged seat as the carriage approached the Roshin District and as soon as the wooden wheels screeched to a halt the girl leaped to the street below and turned, watching the midwife gather an available picket line, secure the beast and with a rounded step back to the carriage she grabbed her bag and with no words spoken, side by side, they headed straight for Hadyn.

"Hadyn! I'm here!" Yelled Shiress, bursting through the Blacksmiths apartment door with the midwife following close behind. The girl made a beeline for the woman's bedroom, but was held back by a thin arm, and, halting on the tips of her toes, she turned back to face Viola. "I will see to Hadyn now. You tend the fire and start water for boiling, gather clean linens and towels and see to a clean blanket." Ordered the Midwife. Shiress glared hard at her, not wanting to do anything but see to her friend, but the Midwife merely nodded her head, loosened the grip on her arm and turned away, leaving Shiress to follow with slow steps attempting to peer around the tiny framed woman as she entered the room and spoke "Now, Ms. Skellig, Viola called, her voice sharp but calm "disrobe and lay there, lets see what this babe is up to."

The door snapped closed at the girls nose, and reluctantly, she turned and stepped away, pulling a cauldron from the table as she passed by.

"Kihala, please she prayed "protect those that I love from Dira's claim"

Moonlight drowns out all but the brightest stars

Character sheet
Shiress
Every path has a few puddles

Words: 918381
Joined roleplay: January 25th, 2013, 7:01 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (2) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Between Two Lungs

Postby Hadyn Skellig on December 8th, 2013, 4:28 pm

Shiress had returned. Relief washed across the woman's damp face as she raised her head, pushing off from the bed to stand straight. But it was not her friend's lovely face appearing in the doorway but Viola's. The midwife was all business and while the weaponsmith could certainly appreciate a need for succinctness the lady was a bit dry. Eying her the brunette was about to comment on the distinct absence of Shiress when another contraction had her doubling over, reaching for the mattress to steady herself.

Crawling onto the bed, still dressed, Hadyn lay there with heavy breaths. Curled on her side arm wrapped around her belly the woman closed her eyes as she waited for the pain to leave her. After a tick she straightened and tried to move to the headboard and sit up. Using her hands on either side of her body to push herself back, scooting her bottom across the bed, Hadyn squeezed her eyes shut against another sting. Opening them as she lay propped up against the pillows she looked at Viola.

"Evenin' Viola. Baby's got a mind to get out tonight it seems," her voice was quiet, unable to hide the occasional quaver, apprehension written on her face.

Hadyn Skellig
a blade for a beer

Words: 455862
Joined roleplay: March 13th, 2013, 6:35 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)

Between Two Lungs

Postby Shiress on December 12th, 2013, 3:19 pm

"Indeed, it does." Agreed the midwife loosening and pulling away her shawl as she moved across the floor to stand at the foot of the bed, blue eyes assessing the blacksmith intently as she attempted to move herself about. She stepped cautiously up to Hadyn's side and placed the palm of her hand against her forehead, then, running her finger along the brunette's cheek, she gave her head a nod. "You are pale and a bit feverish and that makes two pains since I've been here, and I have only just arrived." she arched a brow "This baby will come sooner rather than later, if I have a guess."

The midwife placed one hand against Hadyn's upper abdomen and pushed downward, while the other was placed on her lower abdomen while simultaneously pushing inward several inches bellow her navel, between the hipbones. She canted her head in thought before releasing the pressure and shook her head before speaking "The baby's head has descended into the birth canal. It's up to the baby and your body now. I'll do what I can to help you with the pain, but it's pressure and a strong urge to push that you'll be of a good mind to tell me about."

The woman stepped away to the door and pulled it open "Miss" she called to Shiress "I'll need a bit of that water in a cup before it gets too hot, please.

Shiress was kneeling by the fire and straightened quickly, green eyes widening with anticipation with the sound of the creaking door. "Yes ma'am she answered and pulled a cup from the mantel. A small cast iron cauldron dangled above a healthy fire, thin wisps of spoke had begun to gently roll and twist from it's center. Shiress carefully dipped a wooden ladle into the warm water, filled the cup and stepped firmly across the floor to the midwife. "How is she" she asked, both hands offering the cup forward "She's doing fine and thank you" And without another word the woman took the cup and the door snapped shut again. Shiress' shoulders dropped and she turned back to the fire and lowered herself down to the floor. "This is going to be a long night" she murmured softly pulling her legs up and resting her chin on her knees. All she could do was wait and do as she was told, no sense in arguing.

The midwife quietly stepped to the dresser and placed the cup by her bag in which she began rummaging around in. After a chime she turned, cup in hand, and made her way to the bedside "Here you are, Ms. Skellig." she offered with a nod "Raspberry leaf tea, sip on this and I'll see to getting a bit more light for the room." She waited for Hadyn to take a sip of the tea before turning away for the door once again, pulling it open as she cleared her throat. "Miss" she called "Shiress is my name" answered an annoyed girl, looking up from the floor "I need candles and a light stick, please"

Shiress lifted herself with a huff, green eyes narrowing with a roll. "Do I have slave imprinted on my forehead? she grumbled as she gathered the candles. "At least she said please.."

Character sheet
Shiress

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Between Two Lungs

Postby Hadyn Skellig on December 16th, 2013, 3:19 am

"I guess that's a good thing," the brunette replied with a half smile. She'd heard tales of labor stretching across days before the child finally arrived. Hadyn would much rather have the baby and move on. The longer this thing played out the more uneasy the woman became. Not only for the sake of the baby's health but the fact that she'd be helpless longer than was comfortable for her.

"Hopefully it'll be - aaahh,"
Hadyn groaned as the midwife pressed and prodded her, resisting the reflex to kick the woman. When Viola spoke then the brunette's eyebrow arched with clear surprise.

"What? now? Petch me," she murmured, dropping her head back against the pillow as a contraction overcame her. Gritting her teeth Hadyn grasped the sheet into a fist, letting out a hiss of breath. Hadyn considered herself to have a fairly high tolerance for pain but this particular sensation was nearing her threshold. When she recovered from this one the brunette thought she caught a glimpse of Shiress in the narrow doorway. Accepting the mug with a frown the weaponsmith took a sip before commenting on Viola's dismissal of Shiress. When the midwife again called out to the girl like a servant Hadyn pressed her lips together as she set the mug into hands on her lap.

"I'll need her 'round when this thing goes off," Hadyn stated with a level gaze to Viola. "Not running about gathering things and tending the fire. Ain't got no one else to hold my hand and wasn't it you who told me that's what a woman in labor needs most?"

Admittedly the midwife's exact words were husband or baby's father but Hadyn couldn't be picky. She was without both and Shiress was here now. Besides something about Viola's prickly demeanor didn't sit well with the soon-to-be mother. Brown eyes watched the woman for a tick longer before she spoke again.

"Everythin's normal, yes? baby's not comin' out lopsided or backwards?"

Though her concern lay with the child she couldn't help worry what would happen if she herself didn't make it through this. The thought had come up many times during the pregnancy but Hadyn was easily able to stuff it down and fret more about the baby. But now the time was so close to actually go through the ordeal she found her mouth dry and eyes nervous. What if she didn't make it? it wouldn't be unheard of. Worrying on her bottom lip the weaponsmith nearly glared at the midwife, awaiting her answer.

Hadyn Skellig
a blade for a beer

Words: 455862
Joined roleplay: March 13th, 2013, 6:35 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)

Between Two Lungs

Postby Shiress on January 13th, 2014, 11:53 pm

After a long, thoughtful stare as Hadyn labored through another pain, Viola relented with a sigh before she spoke "I usually do not allow others into a birthing room, my dear, but if this girl is all you have then I'll feel sorry for you enough to allow her in. Now" she added, nodding her head at the tea "drink small sips and I'll see to your friend"

The midwife turned for the door, pulled it open and stepped through. After a glance thrown back over her shoulder to Hadyn, she pulled the door closed behind her. Shiress was to her feet, looking anxiously at the midwife "She OK? What can I get for you?" Viola remained silent as she made her way to Shiress "Yes, Hadyn is fine and asking for you" Viola replied, stepping up by the girls side "but before you go in I must have your understanding" she added, her gaze leveling with Shiress'. "OK, I'm listening" Shiress answered, nodding her head with uncertainty. "I'm actually glad that Hadyn has requested you to be with her. I don't have time to go back for my aid, so I will need you to step in and help" Viola paused, eyes falling to her hands as she cleared her throat "I have birth many a baby in my time and I am readily trained and this training tells me that Hadyn will birth a big baby." The woman returned her eyes with a stern gaze "What this means is that this birth will take a lot out of your friend as well as the little one. I will need you to heed my instructions with haste and without question." A small smile broke through the hardness plastered on the elder's face "Tonight, Shiress, you are a midwife's aid"

Pulling the girl by the shoulder, the woman turned and the two returned to Hadyn's room, a broad smile pressing across Shiress' lips as she passed through the door. "Hey, Mama" Shiress said, her hand finding the blacksmiths legs beneath the blanket with a gentle squeeze "how you feelin'?"

Character sheet
Shiress

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Previous