Closed Between Two Lungs

{Shiress}

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Between Two Lungs

Postby Hadyn Skellig on November 4th, 2013, 4:51 am

90th of Fall
513 AV
Late Afternoon

Hadyn tucked the corners of the bedspread beneath the mattress, pausing to exhale slowly as a haze of nausea over took her. Her hand rested on the patterned quilt - a parting gift from her mother's cousin - as she swallowed the urge to undo all her good work and take a nap. The bed was made, a fire was burning merrily in the hearth and the apartment was cleaner than it'd ever been. At the advice of a particularly critical midwife Hadyn was lying in. Well, that's what she was supposed to be doing. But the idea of simply lazing around waiting for the baby to make its entrance was unappealing to the weaponsmith.

Although her belly was big enough that she was sure she was housing a horse the woman managed to stay active. Convinced that becoming laconic even in this late stage of pregnancy would result in a lazy child Hadyn was constantly moving, either taking walks or busying herself with trivial tasks. Aside from the widening of her abdomen the brunette didn't appear much different, the consistency of her activity ensuring none of the copious meals she downed would go anywhere apart from nourishing the baby. But now that she was in confinement, another detestable term employed by the midwife, she phased between bouts of exhaustion and pent up energy.

Moving across the room Hadyn selected a piece clothing from where she'd hung it over the edge of the crib. The cornflower blue gown was a gift from Jill's daughter for the newborn, the stitching evidence of a practiced hand. Using her large belly to set the the tiny outfit upon as she folded it carefully the brunette bit her lower lip, considering how long she could manage holing herself away. It was becoming tedious and she missed Sultros Blades something fierce.

Guilt caused to her pause mid-fold. She was supposed to meet Shiress for tea but having woken up with a horribly sore back and cramps that would not abate Hadyn knew it'd be unwise to attempt a visit. She tired by simply walking these days and with the pregnancy pains she was becoming a annoyance unto herself. But gods she was hungry. The thought of a roast chicken, spiced potatoes and the delicious preserves made by the baker had her stomach growling. All she had in the apartment was old bread and a few apples.

Setting the miniscule attire down, neatly folded Hadyn brushed the thick braid of dark hair over her shoulder, considering her next anal-retentive order of business. The floors had been swept, the furniture arranged three or four times and her brother's charcoal sketches dutifully hanging above the hearth. The one rickety chair had been fixed and her dishes were sparkling. There wasn't much left for her to waste her time doing and loneliness was edging closer and closer. Perhaps she should've weathered through the pain and gone to see Shiress. It was bad enough to be walled up in her apartment but to have nothing to do - torture!

Moving into the living room with the intention to fetch food Hadyn was suddenly overcome with an extremely uncomfortable if not worrisome sensation of liquid rushing down her legs. While she knew the pregnancy had adverse effects on her bladder she'd always made it to the privy. This was different. Alarming. A sharp pain followed the liquid, stirring in her pelvis and sparking across her abdomen. Surely these were just false labor pains. She wasn't ready to have this baby yet. Not alone.

"Kid's annoyin' me already," she mumbled, a hand reaching out to grasp the back of a chair as she supported herself against it. Another wave of cramps. These were much more powerful than the false labor aches. And with the release of liquid - what was it the midwife called that, breaking water? Despite her attempt to avoid the obvious it was becoming glaring clear - she going into labor. Alone. In her apartment.

Great.

Last edited by Hadyn Skellig on December 16th, 2013, 3:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hadyn Skellig
a blade for a beer

Words: 455862
Joined roleplay: March 13th, 2013, 6:35 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)

Between Two Lungs

Postby Shiress on November 8th, 2013, 2:52 am

Shiress lowered her book to her lap, eyes wandering from it's pages to the door of her apartment. Her company was now exceptionally late and the girl was concerned. No word of why or noted apology was not like Hadyn in the least.

Attempting to push the worry from her mind Shiress rose to her feet and stepped softly to the hearth, placed her book on the mantle and knelt to stir the tea pot, steam swooping and swirling from the surface as it boiled over the warm fire. It hadn't worked. "Where could she be?" She wondered aloud, an odd feeling settling in her chest. Shiress crossed her arms over her chest as she straightened, her gaze settling on a silver key resting on the mantle top. Some days ago, Hadyn had given her a spare key to her apartment only in case a time should arise that she may need it. The girl wondered if this was such a time.

Biting her bottom lip she relented, at last, after lingering on the thought, deciding to go with her gut feeling and pulled the key from the mantle and dropped it in her pocket. Grabbing her bag, she turned without hesitation to the door and moved swiftly through the corridors of Travelers Row to make her way to the Roshin District to check on her very pregnant friend. Stepping onto the street Shiress found the city busier than expected and tilted her face skyward, her expression growing more concerned. "It's nearly the 10th bell. She noted with a frown, Well, she knew now something was amiss and down the street in a hurry she went and she had a long way to go.

Moving through the city was no easy feat. Seemed every Syliran was out and about this morning, coming and going, in and out of shops, loading and unloading various wagon's parked along the curb. There was a steady hum of horse's clip-clopping hooves, screeching wagon parts, and various voices, engaged in their own doings and conversations, and their makers all littered the path before her. Shiress had a long walk ahead of her and was getting no where fast, having to pass, dodge, weave and occasionally pause as she walked. The girl was growing more frustrated by the chime.

"Aw, come on! She cried, arms flailing in frustration as another wagon pulled out, blocking her path. "This is crazy-stupid!!" She sneered, trying not to lose it as she stepped around the hurdle. "Where ya headin' ato, darlin'? Ya look in an awful rush." Inquired a senior Syliran, his white hair almost glistening in Syna's rays as much as his beard. Shiress stopped and glanced back over her shoulder to the gentleman sitting atop his wagon as it was being loaded. "Roshin District, Sir, and pardon my rudeness, I am in a bit of a rush. The old man laughed, dismissing her apology with the wave of a hand. "Land sakes! I'm a headin' for the Bazaar, if you'd not mind a chimes company of an old man, I'd be obliged to get ya there a bell or two faster. Shiress smiled and canted her head politely. "I'd not mind in the least and I thank you for offering.

The girl accepted the man's old, thin, and wrinkled hand as she climbed up on the wagon seat. "I'm Robbie" He said before tossing his head toward the laborer. "And that there is Rose, best beast in town, I'd wager. The wagon pulled and lurched forward, Rose falling into rhythmic steps along the stones. Shiress flashed the old man a kind smile before she replied. "Glad to meet you, Robbie. I'm Shiress." Robbie nodded his head. "Like wise, Miss Shiress. So, whatcha rushin for, days young yet. "I have a friend, a very pregnant friend, who didn't show up for our tea date. I'm a bit worried and thought I'd look in on her. Replied Shiress, securing fly-a-way strands of hair behind her ear. "Oh! Then lets get a movin'. Come on then, Rose! Robbie called, giving the reins a good jolt. The rest of the journey was mostly silent, save Robbie greeting most everyone they passed along the way. Shiress liked Robbie. There seemed a genuine gentleness about the old man, simple, but yet, set in his ways of ancient wisdom. There were things to be taught by this man, if only she had the time to spend with him.

Robbie pulled back the reins and Rose pulled the wagon to a stop. "Thank you so very much, Robbie. If ever you fancy a drink, there'll be one waiting for you at the Stallion, my treat. Shiress said appreciatively, leaping down to her feet. "Thank you too, Rose. She added, and with a wave of her hand she turned and made her way through the Roshin District.

She had her key in hand as she stepped up to Hadyn's door, knocking twice before she called out for her friend. "Hadyn, its Shiress! She didn't quite get the words out before the key clicked in the lock and the wooden door crept open. "Hadyn.." She called again, stepping through into the apartment. "I just wanted to make sure.." Her words trailed off as she caught sight of the brunette grasping the back of a chair. Tossing her bag to the floor by the door Shiress hurried to her side. "You are white as a sheet, you're having labor pains, aren't you? Why did you not send for me? She asked, her voice ripe with indignation. Shiress sighed, pulling the hair from the woman's shoulders and stepped around her. "It's OK, come now, lets get your things and get going to Soothing Waters, I'll bless you out for this later"

Moonlight drowns out all but the brightest stars

Character sheet
Shiress
Every path has a few puddles

Words: 918381
Joined roleplay: January 25th, 2013, 7:01 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (2) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Between Two Lungs

Postby Hadyn Skellig on November 13th, 2013, 5:43 pm

Hadyn was too busy sucking in gusts of air to hear Shiress' arrival and initial comments. Brown eyes flicked up to find her friend's face as the woman held tightly to the chair. Relief and confusion washed over her features. How did Shiress know to come? it didn't matter. She was here and already approaching to help her voice soothing Hadyn's concern. Dark brows knitted, however, when the girl's words registered. Standing up a bit straighter the weaponsmith raised a hand as if to calm the barmaid.

"I can't go like this," she breathed with a frown, tone somewhere between annoyed and apprehensive, glancing down at the puddle of fluid at her feet. "At least help me change. Last thing I need is t'be waddlin' round Syliras lookin' like I pissed myself."

As she spoke the woman was moving slowly toward the door of the bedroom, one hand on her belly. It made a tense situation easier to handle with the employment of sarcasm and dry quips - at least for her. A sharp labor pain caused her to pause halfway there, gritting her teeth as she waited for it to pass. It took much longer than she expected for it to subside. Anxiety settled on her features as she looked over to Shiress.

"May need to lie down," she murmured as continued to the bedroom. The uncomfortable sensation of liquid running down her legs was forgotten, an expression of apprehension etched on her face. Weren't the contractions supposed to start later? wasn't early labor supposed to be relatively painless? Chastising herself mentally in order to stay calm Hadyn made it into the bedroom, waiting for her friend to join her.

Hadyn Skellig
a blade for a beer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Between Two Lungs

Postby Shiress on November 18th, 2013, 1:17 am

Shiress followed her friend's gaze downward, the color draining from her face as the brunette spoke. "Shyke, Hadyn, please tell me you did piss yourself." She begged, face contorting between a frown and a concerned expression, knowing full well what pain and a puddle of water meant at pregnant woman's foot. When Shiress glanced up, her friend had moved away, her eyes fell again to the liquid on the floor, her gaze lingering there a tick before she caught up to Hadyn. "That ain't normal." She said, pointing back from where they had just come from as she stepped up to the blacksmith's side. "This baby is coming, like soon, Hadyn!

Shiress froze in place, watching the effect of pain creep across her friends face as she turned to face her. To see Hadyn not have complete control gave Shiress a sinking feeling. Hadyn always had control, even if she seemed to have lost it for a chime, she always retaliated. This time, Shiress knew her friend didn't have control of the situation and she also knew of how many times her mother would come home from the infirmary with grief etched across her face "we lost a mother today" she would say, or "We lost a little one today."

Fear settled into the girl's chest like a heavy rock. "Hadyn. She said, her voice low with a soft tone, eyebrows lowered "I don't think you should lay down right now. Let me help you change, but we really should get you to the Soothing Waters. You can rest there, OK?" Shiress stepped around to face Hadyn, hesitant to touch the woman, but she managed to brush a long brunette curl from her friend's face. It pained Shiress to see Hadyn like this. She felt helpless, knowing this was the beginning of a long, a very very long, journey for a woman she cared for like a sister.

Shiress pulled a cotton shift from the trunk and spread it out across the bed. Stepping in behind the blacksmith she swept her dark locks across her shoulders. "Let's get you into some dry clothes at least." She said with a soft, albeit worrisome, smile.

Character sheet
Shiress

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Between Two Lungs

Postby Hadyn Skellig on November 22nd, 2013, 4:35 am

Hadyn hissed in a breath and with it a biting retort to her friend's obvious statement. Gritting her teeth to avoid snapping rudely at the worried girl the weaponsmith continued to the bedroom, barely listening to the words behind her. Shiress was right. The baby was coming. It was too soon.

Closing her eyes as another way of tightness stole her breath, the tail end of the girl's suggestion reaching her. It was too soon for labor pains. They shouldn't start now. The midwife assured the breaking of the water only indicated it was time for the process to begin. She had bells yet until the contractions. And yet here they were, ascending uncomfortably from her pelvis. Gripping the wooden post of her bed Hadyn opened her eyes to see a shift laid out, Shiress lingering nearby.

"I can't petchin' leave,"
the brunette groaned quietly. She began unfastening the ties to her dress, ignoring the pinching sensation between her legs. It didn't hurt, per se. But it was certainly more agitating than the false labor pains. Dropping the dress to the ground and snatching the shift, the brunette let Shiress help her into it.

"You'll need to get her." Hadyn spoke calmly, her voice strained with veiled worry. If they were both running around like headless chickens it would do no good. Turning to face her friend the brunette grasped the girl's upper arms, locking her gaze with vibrant green eyes. "The midwife. What was her name? Biola, Viola, somethin' Pritchard-Windcraft? I don't know. I need you t'fetch her now, Shiress. This baby's lookin' to drop an' I can't," she paused through a contraction, "can't manage the walk to Soothin' Waters."

Taking a deep breath Hadyn sat down on the edge of the bed, an arm wrapped around her belly. She was resigned to her instructions. With the sudden movement the baby kicked, and anxiety wrote itself on the woman's face as she looked up at Shiress. Neither knew what to do but Hadyn wasn't about to have a baby on the streets of Syliras. If she could bear through the worst of it with a piece of leather between her teeth then she'd have the child here. But they couldn't do anything until the midwife got there and instructed them.

"Please, Shiress," she added with another glance to her friend. "I'll be alright here. Just tell her the labor's gone an' started itself."

Hadyn Skellig
a blade for a beer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Between Two Lungs

Postby Shiress on November 22nd, 2013, 6:48 pm

Shiress was stunned, not to mention in a bit of pain, when Hadyn grabbed her arms, the look on the woman's face nearly causing Shiress to buckle about the knees. "Go get her?" she repeated crossing her arms and rubbing the sting from her shoulders, eyes following the woman as she sat on the bed. "Hadyn that's a long walk and I wont be back for sometime." As she spoke the girl realized her words. It was indeed a long walk to Soothing Waters, clear across the city in fact. There was no way Hadyn could make the journey as she could barely walk across her apartment.

The girl's fingers slid through her hair as she plopped beside her friend, holding her head between the palms of her hands she sighed. For sometime she didn't say anything or even look at the brunette. She didn't know what to do and unmistakably felt caught between a rock and a hard place- that was situated itself between a rock and a hard place. At length, she ran her hands across her thighs and stood with a deep breath, exhaling it with determination. "OK!" she said looking about the room. "I'll go, I'll run if I have to, but if the pain worsens or, God's forbid, the baby comes, scream bloody murder. Someone is bound to hear you I'm sure" Grabbing a throw from the foot of the bed she motioned for her friend to lay down then draped the throw across her swollen legs, a concerned smile crossing her lips as she stepped forward and rested her hand on her friends forearm "Hadyn, please don't have this baby without me, and please, my friend, don't go where I can't follow." She let her gaze linger on her friend a full chime before the welled up tears forming in her eyes threatened to escape. "Cross your legs real tight." She joshed giving the brunette a more genuine grin then turned on her heel and exited the bedroom then the apartment, giving one more hesitant glance toward the bedroom before pulling the door shut behind her.

Stepping out onto the street Shiress was near tears again as she attempted to gather her bearings. Looking around she tried to suppress the panic with resurfacing determination. She brushed her hair behind her ears with a deep breath and scooped up the tail of her dress and began to jog the long trek to Soothing Waters.

Character sheet
Shiress

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Between Two Lungs

Postby Hadyn Skellig on November 26th, 2013, 12:49 am

Readjusting herself at Shiress' instruction the woman lay propped up by two pillows as the throw was settled upon her legs. Fear nestled awkwardly in her chest sinking to the bottom of her heart - ever present. Breathing carefully to avoid the rush of anxiety the brunette smoothed her hand over her pregnant belly. A wry glance was given to the girl at her parting comments.

Don't get sentimental now, Hadyn thought with a furrowed brow. Can't hardly handle in this state.

But she offered her friend an encouraging smile as she departed, the sound of the door beyond shutting allowing her to release the breath she'd been holding. Sitting there it sank in that she was alone. Alone and quite possibly in labor. She felt the flurry of fear scurry up her heart when she realized she might've done the absolute wrong thing sending Shiress away.

Exhaling a breath through an o of her lips the brunette calmed herself. Perhaps she should try to sleep. Closing her eyes Hadyn tried to focus on patient breaths, in and out. The contractions were spaced now, unlike the false labor pains and she could count the intervals between. Her lower back was uncomfortable despite how she tried to rearrange the pillows, frustration written on her face. No matter how she moved or adjusted her body the contractions did not abate or lessen. The time between the waves her muscles relaxed but her mind was buzzing.

"I hope you aren't plannin' on an early arrival,"
she murmured to her swollen belly, voice a near whisper. It was one of the few moments she felt the need to engage the baby, despite being under the impression it could not hear her. Smoothing a hand over the pregnancy Hadyn bit her lower lip, hoping it would soothe the child. It could take Shiress a bell or two to fetch the midwife.

Then there was Orion. He'd said he'd maybe wanted to be there. No. She couldn't worry about him. He certainly didn't worry enough about her to check in. It didn't upset her the way most folk seemed to think it should. But if he didn't think it necessary to call on her in this late stage of pregnancy she couldn't be bothered to concern herself with his whereabouts. If he showed up, great. If not, Hadyn didn't care. Yet.

Hadyn Skellig
a blade for a beer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Between Two Lungs

Postby Orion Michaels on December 1st, 2013, 6:44 am

placeholder; you can skip me until there's a good time to bring me, just getting in the thread.
Orion Michaels
Cut to the punchline

Words: 1033425
Joined roleplay: August 2nd, 2012, 12:33 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Mizahar Mentor (1)
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Between Two Lungs

Postby Shiress on December 3rd, 2013, 7:36 pm

Gods...I need to get out more.. hissed Shiress between heavy deep breaths, her hands perching on her hips as she leaned, more collapsed, against the first wall she came to.

After a long run across the city Shiress longed to breath normally again, one step further and she'd have sworn that her lungs would burst with their labor Her legs ached, her heart felt like a wild, caged bird and, despite the chill in the late Fall air, beads of sweat had formed on her lip and forehead.

"Just.need.to.catch.my.breath.."

After a chime she drew in a long, satisfied breath and blew it out through puckered lips calmly. Hopefully she could actually speak now if need be. She lifted herself from the wall and continued the rest of the way to Soothing Water with a swift walk on wobbly, tired legs.

At last she had made it to the entrance and wasted no time stepping through and making her way to the desk, paying no mind to the others sitting or standing near by. Stepping up to the desk she swiped hair behind her ear as she spoke "Um..Richardson..Violo something. A midwife?" Shiress shook her head knowing she had just made as much sense as teats on a bull and drew in another breath to try and guess the name again when a female propped in a chair at a side desk stirred and spoke sharply "Viola Pritchard-Wainscroft and I only take appointments." The thin, petite woman pulled a piece of paper from the desk and stood as she spoke "Here, fill this out if you can she said sliding the paper across the counter to Shiress " If it's a midwife you need, I'll need all the information filled out completely, front and back." Shiress hesitated and took the paper politely before shaking her head as the woman turned back for her seat "No no, not me, it's Haddie..er..Hadyn, Hadyn Skellig.

The woman turned and peered about the room "Yes, where is she? Is she laboring?" she asked. "Yes and her, you know" the girl answered, motioning her arms awkwardly from her stomach downward "spilled, came out, the liquid." Viola's thin eyebrows rose over a slow blink "Her water has broken then? Well, bring her in and I'll set up a..." "No!" Shiress interrupted slamming her hand against the splintered wooden counter aggravated "She's at home and can't walk for the pain. I left her there, comfortable in bed and.. the girl ran her teeth across her lip and lowered her voice. "I'm real worried, Ms. Croft -Pritchard-Wainscroft- I didn't mention to Hadyn, Ma'am, but the water on the floor, it was tinged with streaks of blood. Viola stepped quickly to the counter and took Shiress' hand, her face hardening.

"When did you leave her, Child?"

"At the least a bell passed."

"Was her stomach sick?"

"I don't know"

"Were the pains close together?"

"Yes, yes like every other chime it seemed"

"I'll get my bag and meet you at my carriage around to the left passed the corner. Be ready to ride when I arrive, we must make haste now"

The midwife disappeared through a doorway and Shiress turned on her heel and exited the Soothing Water. The concern present in the woman's voice and carved into her expression worried Shiress even more so than what she was already. She now wished she'd not had left her friend, that she would have found another to fetch the midwife and that she would have stayed by her friends bedside in wait. The -what if's- and -should have's- ran unrestrained in the girls head as she looked for the midwife's carriage and finding it finally just where the woman said she would. Climbing up and onto the seat Shiress sat with arms resting on on her knees and palms covering her face. Luckily she wouldn't have to wait for the driver as she was just behind her, shawl draped over her thin shoulders, leather bag under one arm and the other swuinging rapidly by her side as she stepped quickly toward the carriage.

"Sit back now and we'll be there directly" she called, slinging her bag on the seat beside Shiress and climbing up. Without hesitation Viola grabbed the reigns and with a hard snap the horse pulled the wooden wheels from the curb and the carriage lurched forward "Will she be OK?" asked Shiress clinging to the side of where she sat "We'll see, Child, we'll see." answered the Midwife giving the reigns another harsh snap urging the horse to quicken its pace.

Character sheet
Shiress

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Between Two Lungs

Postby Hadyn Skellig on December 5th, 2013, 5:29 am

"...Shyke!" Hadyn gripped the corner of the bed frame as she doubled over, squeezing her eyes shut against the sting in her pelvis. Sleep was not happening and she couldn't manage a comfortable position laying down. Instead she heaved herself out of bed and began pacing across the floor, pausing when the contractions stalled her. Waiting for the wave to die the brunette clenched her teeth. She needed to get to Soothing Waters. Already a sheen of sweat glistened on her forehead as she sucked uneven breaths in. It was hot as petch in the apartment. She felt as though she were running a fever, perspiring as she walked back and forth.

Forcing herself to keep walking the woman ran through all apparent possibilities. The midwife could be absent. Shiress could be held up by some stupid waste of space asking dumb questions and delaying the girl. Hadyn could go into labor alone. None of these thoughts were particularly comforting. Biting her lower lip the weaponsmith dragged her tired feet across the floor, hoping the movement would slow the baby's descent.

She was dizzy. Nauseated at the thought of being so petching helpless. Making it to the bed Hadyn leaned forward, hands flat on the mattress as she hung her head, breathing slowly. Dark hair was plastered to her face as she stood still. Another contraction. They were closer now. Much too close. Despite having listened to everything the midwife previously told her about the patterns of labor Hadyn found herself near a panic. The baby was coming and there was nothing she - who thrived on having control - could do about it.

For a moment she felt fear grip her, red hot like a blade emerged from the fire. The woman who swore to be alone all her life was terrified at the thought of doing this by herself. She muttered prayers to Oriana though she imagined the goddess didn't pay much attention to fair-weather worshipers. Regardless the words tumbled from her mouth as she bent over her arms, head dropped between them.

"Whatever you choose don't let the child suffer," she murmured, eyes opening as she stared at her belly.

Hadyn Skellig
a blade for a beer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next