Solo [Job Thread] The Customer is Always Right!

Favchean must bite his tongue when dealing with a beligerent customer in the Arma'Drex Smithy

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

[Job Thread] The Customer is Always Right!

Postby Favchean Hronis on December 4th, 2013, 5:58 am

82th Fall 513

The day was much too pretty to be stuck indoors. The birds were out, the chill in the air was mild and still a nice respite from the summer heat. The colors in the trees were starting to change and it would be a wonderful thrill to be out practicing his Kata, or even gaining inspiration for a new dagger...instead of cooped up inside the shop of the Arma'Drex Smithy. Master Haiduk had told him that being a dagger smith was more hen pounding metal, it was also cleaning and planning and organizing..and dealing with the customers.

Favchean considered himself a congenial type of guy, he was nice and friendly. If you weren't a Zith or a male Symenestra then you got the benefit of the doubt with the green Akalak. Sure he could be a bit cold to some races, but he was always nice. At least he thought so, however he was also not a very good salesman. If something looked like shyke he told them it did, if they didn't know what they were doing with the dagger he told them that too. Perhaps that last one was why the last customer had stormed out. It was not his fault that she was a tiny little woman, a kelvic bird if Favchean guessed from the way her head kept twitching like a blue jay or another such bird. Such a tiny woman did not need such a large dagger, it would not sit well in her hand. A smaller dagger would have done her much better..But of course she didn't listen.

Sighing his ears still rang a little with Haiduk's scolding. So when what looked like a human male walked in, Favchean was determined that he was going to do a better job this time. "May I help you?' he rumbled in common, keeping the sound of his voice quiet so as not to startle the little guy. Humans startled so easily it seemed to the Akalak.

The man turned from looking at a wall rack of varying axes displayed beautifully. "Yes, yes you can." The man says, his voice nasal and slightly irritating to Favchean's ear. "I am in search of a weapon. Something that I can learn fairly easily but won't be heavy and ...garish."

Favchean grins, though his teeth gritted together gently. One didn't learn any weapon easily it was not something that you can just pick up and lay down..Favchean stopped that train of thought before his frozen face began to thaw and show the annoyance that had spiked in his mind. "Of course. I would stay away from the axes then, they are big and demand a certain strength that is difficult to achieve without practice." Favchean kept his voice even and kept any sign of annoyance out of his tones easily enough until the man actually sniffed..sniffed!

"This is true and they are so ugly to look at too. I would like a blade that is sleek and stylish." The man agreed, seeming to be oblivious to Favchean's annoyance which was a good thing all being told.

"Perhaps you would like a dagger rather then a sword. Daggers are small, can be carried in a sheath out of the way until you want...them to be seen." Favchean grunted just a little to keep from saying until he wanted to pull them out to impress his friends. Who was this guy who seemed to think that weapons were something frivolous?

Favchean Common|Chealvan Common
Favchean Tukant|Chealvan Tukant
Favchean Kontinese|Chealvan Kontinese
Favchean Hronis
AKA: Chealvan

Words: 188481
Joined roleplay: September 10th, 2013, 5:27 pm
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Favchean Hronis on December 5th, 2013, 6:20 pm

The man cocked his head a little, one hand raising to scratch his cheek just a little. "I already know how to use a short sword, that would seem a better way to go, less practice time needed to learn to use my new toy." Favchean raised a brow but did not respond for a moment before he turned toward the rear and left of the sword. On the wall were a series of swords, none of them ornate or overly decorated, all of them functional but well crafted. None were crafted by Favchean himself, for he was still too green to actually craft anything that could be used by a customer.

There was a long thin blade of steel, polished to a shine and delicately etched. It was a fine blade, and if Favchean had an affinity to swords he would have thought it perfect. Even if it was too ornate for his tastes. However the male crinkled his nose "No No No. That won't do at all. Are you not listening? I said I know how to use a short sword, not that clumsy thing." The man's tones were mild even if the words were impatient, and Favchean simply turned away from him grumbling a little to himself but trying to hide that from the customer.

He gently replaced that fine blade and searched out for another one, this time it was far more garish and in Favchean's opinion one of the ugliest blades available. It was still a rapier that had no edged but tapered to a point, it was perfect for novice swordsmen but it was frilly. The hilt was a dark black which was more expensive then a simple brown hilt, and hand ridging along with metal accents. Completely wasteful, but the moment that the other man saw it his eyes gleamed. "Oh now that looks nice!" he exclaimed excitedly, moving over to Favchean and held his hand out expectantly.

The green Akalak sighed and handed over the sword with a forced smile, stepping back quickly. The human took a few practice swings, swings that Favchean thought looked clunky and heavy but since he had no skills with a sword he probably was not the best judge. "Yes this one, I will take this one. I need a sheath though!"

Favchean inclines his head in agreement, but also to hide the eye roll before he turned and squatted beside the counter to draw out the thick leather sheath that fit this blade. He turned to the man and handed him the sheath. "It will be twenty Gold Miza's."

The man pursed his lips and hummed softly beneath his breath, "Twenty seems so high...I was thinking around twelve gold Miza's.." Favchean simply stared at the man, one of his dark brows cocked over an icy blue stare. It took a few moments of simply looking at the human before grumbling the other man pulled out his purse from a string tucked in his shirt. Slowly he counted out the Miza's and handed them to Favchean, and then with a final grin he left the shop one sword heavier.

Ooc Info :
The 20 GM's are not Favchean's and should not be awarded anything from them as he did not craft the sword sold
Favchean Hronis

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Favchean Hronis on December 6th, 2013, 1:31 am

Favchean sighs a great sigh of relief when the man took his purchase and stepped out of the shop. Favchean had to think hard on how he responded to customers. Some were a pleasure to serve, others like this man was not so much. Normally he would just remove himself from a conversation or whatever it was that took him into contact with someone that he found being particularly annoying or offensive. However this was a situation he had to exert self control and discipline because he couldn't just walk away. On one hand he despised it, on the other he relished the chance to test his self discipline.

The thickly muscled male moved with an ease that belied his massive frame, he tucked the coins he had gotten from the man away in their place so that Haiduk could do the accounting with them. He then began to inventory the shop items that were on display, this was necessary so that Haiduk could refill the empty spaces. He began to write as he slowly walked around the shop. The first display he came to was the daggers, and he perused the counter that had notches in them, where the daggers laid carefully. He began to count the daggers and note them on the paper.

• Two stiletto
  • One double edged dagger
  • One ornate decorative dagger
  • One Angel-Knife

This told Haiduk which daggers had sold, and needed to be crafted to replace his inventory. Next Favchean moved on to the swords. There were more of these, and carefully Favchean began to write once more.

• One double bladed Sword
  • Two Falchions
  • Two cane swords
  • One Rapier
  • Two Broad Swords
  • One crescent sword
  • Three longswords

Even though the swords list was long, Favchean knew that Haiduk was going to have to get someone who worked with swords crafting for swords seemed to be a popular. Shrugging, more to work out the kinks in his shoulders as he continued to hunch over his list, almost eager for another customer to come in. Hopefully tomorrow Haiduk will allow him to begin working on his blacksmith skills again.

He then moved on to the blacksmith tools. These were not weapons, but Haiduk sold them in his shop because many were crafted much in the same way. Tongue in cheek he continued to make careful marks on the paper, going down the list.

• Two whetstones
  • Two hand vices
  • One sledge hammer
  • Three hand drills
  • One stone hammer
  • One pair of Pincers
  • Three Tongs

Favchean transferred the charcoal stick that he was using to make his words on the paper to his right hand, so that he could flex his left hand fingers. Remaining hunched and curled around the stick had caused his muscles in his hand to cramp a little. He still needed to do the Axes and the miscellaneous items.

However he was saved this monotony when another stepped into the doorway. It was another Akalak, this time a taller one then Favchean, and one whose skin was a deep shade of purple. This time Favchean smiled broadly at one of his brethren and made his way across the room to welcome him.

Favchean Hronis

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Favchean Hronis on December 7th, 2013, 3:17 am

"Good morning!" Favchean greeted happily to the purple Akalak, moving to clasp the forearm of the other in a friendly fashion. "Favchean Hronis.." he began to introduce himself but the other Akalak simply nodded and moved toward the dagger selections. Favchean followed him quickly, his legs eating the distance no less smoothly as the other. "Are you interested in a dagger?" The question was asked but again Favchean was seemingly ignored.

Raising a brow the green Akalak stands back, instead decided watch as the purple man sorted through the daggers. Unlike the human before him, this one handled each weapon with care, not with derision which made Favchean happier to be in here. "What angle was this blade sharpened at last?" The purple Akalak broke his silence finally, a question that Favchean could actually answer since he was the one that did the sharpening of the daggers for Master Haiduk.

"It was sharpened at a forty five degree angle, no more and no less." Favchean answered, his icy gaze taking in the single edged blade that the other held. It was not ornate, it was not frilly, and above all the hilt was big enough for an Akalak's large palm. It was a good choice if the man was looking for such a weapon. "Perhaps. You wouldn't just be telling me that to humor me?" the customer glanced up at Favchean, with his own quirked brow. " If you messed up and angled it too sharply I will be back in here within days for it to be resharpened."

Favchean looked at the purple male with a little bit of annoyance but he had to admit to himself that he would have asked the same question "Yes sir, I sharpened them myself. I am not one to try and drum up business by using an improper edge." This said as evenly as Favchean could, not wishing to annoy the customer and trying not to be offended himself for being so questioned.

The purple Akalak nods and then lays the dagger back in its spot. Next he picked up a stiletto. It's shape was plain, but its hilt was of rich brown leather, burned with detail and designs. To Favchean it looked more like a female's weapon, something someone who was fashion conscious. The customer grunts under his breath and lays it back into the case.

"Perhaps I could interest -" Favchean started to speak, but the other Akalak holds his hand up not in a rude fashion but a patient long suffering gesture that almost made Favchean grunt himself. However he did stop speaking, waiting until the other needed his assistance.

"How many daggers have you crafted yourself?" he inquired of Favchean, finally turning his attention to the green Akalak. "Have you crafted any of these out here yet?"

Favchean blinked at the question, unsure of why the other wanted to know but he answered truthfully and honestly. "I haven't been crafting daggers for very long, and no I haven't made anything that Master Haiduk deemed presentable to sell to a customer yet..." the last might have been an embarrassment for some people, but for Favchean it was simply a truth. Eventually he will become skilled enough to show in Haiduk's shop.

Favchean Hronis

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Favchean Hronis on December 7th, 2013, 5:14 am

"That is a good answer. You are learning well then. Perhaps I will be back when you have more of a selection. I was simply window shopping for the moment." The purple Akalak smiled finally, the first congenial thing he had seemed to do the entire time he was in the shop. He carefully laid the blade he had been looking at back in the case and with a tip of his head toward Favchean he headed out the door.

An odd customer, but the green male relegated to keeping shop today simply shrugs. It takes all kinds, and he picked up his check list. He had inventoried the daggers, the blacksmith tools, and the swords. next was the axes.

He moved through the shop, side stepped around the floor displays and went over to the axes that hung on the wall. These were large contraptions, and he was reminded of Vanator. That man could handle an axe with ease, and it made Favchean look at the weapon differently. He angles the charcoal stick in his hand once more and begin listing the axes.

• One Great Axe
  • One double bladed Axe
  • Two battle axe

He then moved on to the miscellaneous weaponry and tools. These were things like spear tips and cooking knives. There was a few here so he turned the paper over so that he had a longer space in which to write. The white paper was soon covered in black markings.

• Five butchers knives
  • Ten Pollaxe tips
  • Ten throwing spears
  • Seven bread knives
  • Two short spear tips
  • One pick
  • Two mace
  • One Kavar

The last, a Kavar, looked more like it should go into the axe display but Favchean left it there. It wasn't really an axe at all. He turned and moved back up to the front of the shop. Other then the small odds and ends that the Master Blacksmith sometimes sold, such as metal filings and other byproducts that come from crafting with metal the inventory was done.

Favchean placed the list beneath a weighted object so that it wouldn't blow away and turned. It was getting late and soon it would be time to close up shop. Favchean grabbed the broom and began to sweep once again, right to left in a now-familiar fashion. The pile of dust was very small, for this chore was done often through out the day, but there was some there from the boots of customers. Favchean bent to sweep it into the dust pan and discarded it outside.

Then he picked up the rag that lay beside the cash box, and began to wipe down the display shelves. Again this was done several times a day, so it didn't look as if he was accomplishing much. However it was something that had to be done, or else things would build up. That done, the Akalak returns to sit on the stool beside the door that lead to the forge, to await until Syna set and he could close up for the night.

Favchean Hronis

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Caelum on December 9th, 2013, 6:08 pm

Thread Award

Favchean

Skills
Intelligence +1
Investigation +1
Negotiation +1
Organization +2
Teaching +1
Writing +2

Lores
Applicable Weapons
Performing Inventory
-

Notes

Well done as always. You know the drill. Don't forget to edit!
Caelum
The best way out is through.

Words: 1093768
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2010, 10:27 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Guest Storyteller (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)