Against the Grain (Amelia)

Kalina ventures out in human form...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Postby Kalina on August 21st, 2013, 6:33 pm

Despite the older girl beside her's intensions, Kalina's smile slides off her face and her eyes, ever bright and sparkling, dull slightly. Despite her age and poor upbringing, she had the intelligence to know when she was being rebuked for her poor behaviour, and the sense to be ashamed by it. It would have been an understatement to say that the young Kelvic was stubborn, and for a moment she pouts. No one liked being told off.

But the young lady was growing on Kalina: first she had saved Kalina from the men, and now she was buying her the greatest thing ever ever ever put on the face of earth: fish! The girl wanted to please Amelia, wanted to impress her, and she realises that she wasn't doing a very good job of it so far. Nervously, she bites down on her lower lip, her eyes drop to the ground. The woman was kneeling down directly in front of her, at just about eye level; there was no way she wanted to look up at her just now.

Kalina listens quietly to her words, taking in Amelia's instructions on some of the most basic politeness principles: the ones that very one else would have been taught by adults around them in their most potent years, which the Kelvic never had the chance to learn. But now by the canal, she was ruminating over Amelia's words. "
Thank you..." she utters as she rocks back and forth on the balls of her feet, still nervous, "Thank you for teaching me." She tries again, after the set off walking again.

The pair walk in silence, Kalina was still slightly upset to continue on with the same talkative attitude as she had had before. Eventually, Amelia guides the pair of them into a small establishment and they sit at the table, where the older woman begins to order some food, before she turns to Kalina and asks her whether she was sure she wanted her fish raw or not.

Briefly, she considers her options. She liked both ways of preparing the fish, and the logic she had earlier shared with Amelia was still sound, but she also liked the idea of continuing her attempts to impress the older girl. The internal debate doesn't last long, though, and, as if a switch had been flipped on the young girl's temperament, she grins brightly again. "
Cooked!" Bouncing up and down, she nods emphatically, her knotted, greyish hair bouncing up and down wildly. She freezes, however, remembering the conversation they had just had and returns to nibbling on her lip. "Cooked, please," she says, a little more sombrely.

Kalina
Come and play.

Words: 177677
Joined roleplay: June 14th, 2013, 12:38 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Amelia Cross on August 28th, 2013, 9:32 pm

Amelia wasn’t sure, had she really thought the girl to use the common words ‘thank you’ and ‘please’, she wanted to believe that the girl had just been scared to use them before and as becoming more comfortable around the human, but somehow, she had the feeling the kelvic as just harder to understand than a human. She had met a few kelvics throughout her live, and none of them where on the bright side. Some of them where fluent speakers, but they were on the older side and none where really the intelligent kind and usually ran around naked, no scratch that….they all ran around naked.

Kalina ordered, well, asked politely the cooked fish and the waitress left. Amelia smiled at the girl and finally it hit her, she didn’t know the girls name ”My name is Amelia, what is yours?” she said while looking the small girl who’s eyes where clearly brighter than before, she was a nice child and with the right care could be a great addition to society, to the society of Ravok. Kelvics where animals, she was a slave…but she was still a child and even a slave was a member of society, she might be a great artist someday, that might be such a wonderful thing to witness, but would she? This day was odd, Amelia usually didn’t have such thoughts…

The waitress brought the two girls their strawberry drinks, placed a set of forks and knives for each of them and informed that their fish and salad are being prepared. The forks and knives weren’t silver, they had some water stains and the glass had some to, but the waitress was nice and the drink tasted good ”mmm, this is so sweet, do you like strawberries?” Amelia asked the younger girl, not really wanting to ask her about the intimidating topic of eating tools, that were sharp and actually dangerous if you were a child and didn’t know how to handle them.

The barmaid came while humming a song, nice smelling, freshly cooked fish. She set it in front of each of the girls. A medium sized portion of fish was set in the middle of different colored salads on a plate. The fish had a well baked crust and Amelia toke the fork and knife in her hand ”do you know…how to use these?” the question might be rude, but if the child didn’t know what fish were, the chances where she didn’t know what forks where.

Amelia Cross
I Have More Than One Mask

Words: 519985
Joined roleplay: November 14th, 2012, 7:32 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Kalina on September 4th, 2013, 6:00 pm

The grey-haired girl was now practically bouncing up and down on her seat as she watches other people being served food. The envy that she hadn't felt since she was in the Kelvic Research Institute was now coming back, as the selfish creature didn't understand why other were getting food first and she had to wait. Even Amelia's drink arrives just before Kalina's and her lip sets, about to throw a tantrum before her own arrives and she forgets her jealousy.

"
Kali!" She answers the question brightly as she wastes no time in grabbing the glass and dragging the drink towards her. It was an odd colour, Kalina decides, but it smelled something wonderful and she doesn't hesitate before drinking it. One large gulp of the substance and her eyes go wide in wonder; it was the best thing she had ever tasted! 'Cept perhaps fish. "What is it?" She asks between gulps, and the young Kelvic, having no concept of moderation, downs the entire drink. "Stawbees?" She tries to replicate the woman's words, "I like it!"

Then the food comes and, once again, Kalina dives into her food without ceremony. she pushes all of the vegetables off of her plate and onto the table, knowing that she had hated it the first time and wouldn't try to eat anything green ever again. Next, she uses her fingers to tear at the skin covering the fish and gouge out the white meat she wanted so desperately to eat. The fish still had bones and the girl does her best to avoid them but having an ocelot form had its positives, and her stomach could take the digestion of the entire fish, should she eat it.

Amelia speaks and the young girl glances up at the older one, and then down to the items in her hand. A quick glance down has Kalina realising that she also had the items that Amelia had, though she hadn't even noticed them before; in her eyes, she had no need for them whatsoever, when she had perfectly good hands. She had seen Marcus use them in the past, as did most other people who were also eating the fish, but it hasn't occurred to Kalina that she might have to use them too. The stubborn part of the three season old bristles; she was doing just fine eating her food the way she was, why should she have to change? But the part of her that wanted to continue to impress Amelia was the more dominant section, and she thought that the best way to impress Amelia would be to at least try using the strange implements.

Eventually, the Kelvic shakes her head in answer to Amelia's question. She had an inkling of what to do with them, but having never bothered in the past, she wasn't really sure. The girl licks her fingers clean of most of the juices on them before wiping the remnants of the grease and saliva off on the hem of her dress. She then reaches over to pick up the metal implements, one in each hand, she grasps them both wrongly, squeezing them tightly in her hands and stabbing both down into the remainder of the fish. Then she glances over to Amelia, moss green eyes innocent and inquisitive, and looking for praise.

Kalina
Come and play.

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Amelia Cross on October 24th, 2013, 8:46 am

Every little action from the kelvic seemed to intrigue the Cross more and more. She was about, 6 years old. She should know so many things, but she didn’t. The Kelvic Kali knew so little and was so clueless about the world. For a moment it seemed like Amelia could teach her so many things. Unconsciously the woman began a visualization of how she could teach her reading, writing and cooking…caring for animals and similar things. Completely forgetting that the girl was already owned by a master and slave business in Ravok was something she was not interested in…maybe she should get herself a kelvic? Something small, like a dog or a cat.

The woman continued wondering, but then was awoken by the voice of the young girl “I’m glad you like it, those are strawberries, a type of berries that grow in the wilds” she explained with a gentle smile, realizing she should continue thinking of how to return the girl to her master, who theoretically was a well off man.

When the small girl was to return to her meal, it was clear that she had no idea of how to use a knife and a fork. Amelia smiled at her due the effort, since sharp objects were usually intimidating. But that was about as far as impressing went here, because the manner of licking fingers clean and some other small things just bothered the Cross. What was no wonder really, she was raised as a high sociality lady, to behave as the best of them…and now she was facing something completely opposite of her. Innocent and….rather dumb? No, she didn’t want to call her dumb, just, clueless? Still didn’t sound good. ”Guess there isn’t a good way how to say that”

Amelia could feel people looking at them, and more out of the desire to not embarrass herself, she got up and moved next to the kelvic. She gently toke the objects away from her hands and using a cloth napkin cleaned Kali’s hands, fork and knife and some of the fish juice on her own fingers that got there while helping the girl. ”you hold them like this, this is a fork and this is a knife” Amelia smiled and put the fork and knife in Kali’s hands, the right way this time. The black haired girl placed her hands on the slave’s and moved them, instructing, showing how to use them properly. ”we use them so our hands don’t get dirty….remember Kali, a lady never uses her hands when eating” she explained, pulling her hands away and sitting back to her place across the table, eager to see will Kali be capable of using the tools on her own.

Amelia Cross

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Kalina on November 3rd, 2013, 11:51 pm

It was far from easy, the young girl was finding, to hold the knife and fork as shown, even when Amelia carefully places both items in her hands herself. Biting down on her lower lip, she grips them hard, trying to ensure that she doesn't drop them back onto the table. However tightly she grips, however, Kalina leaves her wrists to be lose, allowing Amelia free reign to guide her in the correct way to use the two implements. Green eyes stay wide, concentrating as much as possible in order to take in what the older girl was trying to teach her.

It made sense, somewhat; she was to stab the pronged implement, apparently called the fork, into the fish, and use the other, longer knife to cut, tear and push the meats away, then feed the food into her mouth with the fork. The fork worked similar to her claws, when she was in her ocelot form; if the meat was tough enough, and big enough, she would hold it down with her claws and tear a section away with her teeth. The four season old couldn't tell the difference between using such primitive methods when an ocelot, compared to doing the same as a human. But Amelia clearly didn't approve of her using her fingers, and no other people were eating without knives and forks.

"
Thank you!" The Kelvic exclaims in excitement, when she manages to cut the fish without the help of the woman, who had now moved back to her seat. She grins brightly as she looks up. "Master will be really pleased! I not knowed him for long but he helps me and gives me fish and want to make him happy. If I makes him more happier, then he will get me more fish! But not right now 'cause already had some fish.. maybe for dinner, do you think I could have some more then."

Kalina pauses only to shove some more food in her mouth, chewing it a little before continuing, though she doesn't swallow her mouthful just yet. "
But... but maybe Master will be sad that I got lost, and mad at me... I been gone for a long time. Do you think he is, 'Melia? If he is, do you think he'll give me those icky green things?" She motions down to the untouched vegetables on her own plate, the foul tasting substance Kalina swore she would never eat again.

Kalina
Come and play.

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Amelia Cross on November 4th, 2013, 10:19 pm

The woman just kept on watching the young girl as she struggled with her fork and knife. It was unusual to see this, but she thought that it was for the best, because eventually, the girl would have to learn these things. After all, if this girl would grow up to be in her teens, she doubted her master would approve of her eating with her fingers. Then again, he might be holding her as a kelvic pet? Who knew, how often this girl was in her human form? ”you are giving too much thought to this Amelia, this girl is clearly not worth it, just one time meeting, and all” she repeated to herself as she kept on watching the kelvic, taking occasional sips from her drink and eating her food.

She kept silent, just listened to the girl and her voice that was full of joy and enthusiasm. It was unusual to hear something like this coming from a slave, maybe the master she had was not as bad as Amelia wanted to think? Then again, this girl was a child. A child slave usually doesn’t understand a lot of things in life and finds most things white and fluffy, even Ravok. Making Amelia wonder, are child slaves the best to buy? They are easy to rise into what you want, they can be brainwashed and this girl seems to almost love her master…if she did, it meant that he had complete control over her…And even if Amelia had no idea what was her kelvic form, she had a guess it was something worthwhile, to be owned by someone within the noble parts of the city. ”she isn’t a slave, she is a pet…even worse”

”Kali, always swallow all of your food before you speak, its not polite to speak when you have some food in your mouth, it might fly out….” that was probably the best way the girl could explain it to the young one. ”vegetables you mean? Those are good for you, they keep you full, and they are good when cooked nicely” Amelia couldn’t help but giggle as she imagined this girl thinking of vegetables as a form of torture. It was just so bizarre! And just for the sake of laughter, Amelia almost provocatively ate some vegetables off her plate, even though she was full already. She made a noise and face that identified the food as tasty and then giggled ”it really is”

Soon enough the waiter came by, and Amelia handed her 2gm and 1sm as a tip. After all, the little kelvic made a little mess on the table. ”are we ready to get going?”

Amelia Cross

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Kalina on November 19th, 2013, 4:59 pm

Despite trying (and possibly failing) to follow Amelia's guidance on how to hold her knife and fork, and how to eat, Kalina was still slipping up. And she knew this only because the older girl across from her was rebuking her once again. The girl's brow furrows in confusion;
what was she doing wrong now? It didn't make sense to the uneducated Kelvic; politeness and social etiquette were both things that she had never been exposed to, until her Master took her away from the KRI. This business of growing up was hard work, the Kelvic decides silently as she puts down her knife and fork.

"
Wha'ever! Still don't like 'em. Vege'bles taste like yuck! And I never used to see it, used to jus' get meats but they didn't cook it. I like food not cooked, tastes more real." Kalina scrunches up her nose and sticks her tongue out in horror as she watches Amelia eat more of the vegetables. Her own fish was all but cleared from her plate, save licking it clean, and she pushes the plate away, making it clear that she wasn't going to be eating any more of the food.

Once again glancing aimlessly around at the rest of the room, Kalina's legs swing back and forth beneath her chair as Amelia pays for the meal. Marcus had attempted to teach the young Kelvic about the concept of money but, whilst some of it had gone in, Kali cared little for it; as long as she got some fish, she was happy.

Now that she was no longer hungry, however, Kalina had nothing else to distract her, and she was now taking the room in properly. Slowly recognition sparks in her eyes; the flighty child's memory was only good when she bothered to pay attention. But she was now sort of remembering this room. A grin slips onto her face, her eyes lighting up as she bounces off of her chair. "
Know where we are, 'Melia! We near my home, my Master lives over here and I live with my Master! He has a nice home, it's much bigger than my cage so I like it!"

The girl glances towards the door, and then back to the older girl, and then back to the door. She stops bouncing and the happy expression on her face darkens noticeably as she turns back to Amelia, "
I have to go, 'Melia. I don't want Master to be mad." Turning for a fifth time, she skips towards the door, calling over her shoulder, almost as an afterthought, "Thank!"

Kalina
Come and play.

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Vanari on December 9th, 2013, 8:25 pm

Kalina
Observation +5 XP
Rhetoric +5 XP
Socialization +3 XP
Interrogation +1 XP

Lores :
  • Ravok: Merchant's District
  • I am...a Kelvic?
  • Never Leaving Home Again
  • Masters, Slaves, and Marcus
  • Learning Expressions of Gratitude
  • Describing Home
  • Amelia: The Nice Lady Who Saved Me
  • Fish Eat Water, Human Eat Fish
  • Lake Ravok clean, Sea is Salty
  • Learning Proper Lady Manners
  • Eating with Fork and Knife
  • Impressing Amelia
  • Stawbees!

Amelia
Observation +2 XP
Intimidation +1 XP
Composure +1 XP
Teaching +3 XP
Rhetoric +3 XP
Interrogation +2 XP
Investigation +1 XP
Seduction +1 XP
Subterfuge +1 XP

Lores :
  • Children are Off Limits!
  • Exploiting Male Weakness
  • Coaxing a Kelvic Child to Speak
  • Secret Maternal Desires
  • Returning a Child Home
  • Kali: Likes Cooked Fish, But Not Water
  • Teaching a Child Manners

Notes :
Good job! Just a small note to Kalina: I'm no stickler when it comes to grading, but for future reference you might want to try to stick to past tense, in case someone is :P That is all!

Please don't hesitate to PM me with questions, comments, or concerns! Also, remember to either delete your grade request or edit it as "graded."

Cheers :D

A lonely heart is better than a bored one.

"Your Speech"
"My Speech"
"Vani"
Vanari
Vantha Vagrant

Words: 372424
Joined roleplay: July 29th, 2013, 12:20 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Previous