[Ildiko's scrapbook] Let's Do This Dance

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Ildiko on December 12th, 2013, 1:29 am

(not at my computer, not listening to music)

Tomato, tomahto

Ihl-dee-ko and ihl-dee-KOH are like, IMO, the same thing.
I personally say her name without any stress in it, but... google. shrugs

Like the name 'Ariel' can be pronounced 'ay-ree-el' or 'ah-ree-ehl'.

Or Briana and breanna? I don't know.
I'm pretty chill so I don't care too much about what goes on in your head

Just. the dicks were bothering me
they were bothering me

There are more than just 4 people in Syliras, but... o .o
Yeah. Okay.

Let me balance my plotting checkbook so I can give this some plausibility...

I'LL BE GONE FOR CHRISTMAS BREAK. I'll be back and posting more reliably around Jan.
Ildiko
Player

Words: 22013
Joined roleplay: December 6th, 2013, 8:13 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Ildiko on December 12th, 2013, 5:24 am

mellowing out to:

Made this Syliras plotting thread if anyone is interested
For about three days I've been writing 'syrilas', yeesh

Ugh. I am not pleased with how The Meaning of Co-Operation is going. Someone praise me. (Is my needy showing yet?)

Kidding about the praize. I LOVE how well Medhozic and my writing plays off each other. I love learning about both my character and Med. If we get crappy skill points, I ain't even mad. But we won't because we're both writing well and staying within their skills.

Here's why I'm not pleased:
This is a Zith
This is what I thought a half-breed would be
This is what I see my writing of her so far as
But this is where I want her

No. Nononono. Does anyone else see this?
If I take her teeth away, I'm doing this character a disservice.
I don't want her emotionless

I need a solo. I need a flashback.

What are her motivations?
I know that 1: she doesn't care for Zith too much, yet when asked why she's alone, she claims that her 'family' abandoned her (bitterness?)
I know that 2: she DOES NOT LIKE humans at ALL. (reaction to how she's treated)

but her emotions are surprisingly mature.
like.

Anger has two children: Inward (Depression) and Outward (Rage).
But Ildiko is not angry. But she is angry.
She's angry. But I don't write her angry?

The way I write her now, she seems indifferent. Flighty. Nervous.
Fearless in the face of death, but...
A real Zith would have attacked Med. But she gave up a battle that she knew she couldn't win. But she was... fjskfl.

Is that what being half-human is?
I know her human rationality does NOT temper her Zith passion.
I want Ildiko to BURN with it.
But... why does she hesitate?

Yes... perhaps it was hesitation. Was it mine? Or hers?
Was it her background, her religion...her heart? Why did she trust him enough to turn her back?

I'll read it over to make sure that I'm not making things up. I'm not changing anything, but I'll see how I think I should have written her...

cooldown period

EDIT AFTER READING THROUGH THREAD:

No, she was far detached from her name, yet she felt like by giving Medhozic her name, she had just given him a strange power over her.

She didn't like it. When she was settled, she calmly walked a few paces away from him. Ildiko knew that it would rile him up, and she expected a reaction out of him -- but as she did it, she realized that he would be just as likely to shoot her.

She moved just far enough to reach her cloak. She brought it around her shoulders, back facing him. It was obvious that there was nothing in her hands. She didn't trust him at all, but she was confident that he wouldn't shoot her... yet.

This is what was bothering me. I remembered this scene in my head, but I didn't remember how eloquently I showed her motivations.

Here, I see:
- Pride (He won't shoot me, he doesn't have the will)
- Confidence/Boldness (Screw you, I'm cold out here and I'm going to do what I want)
- Intelligent/adaptive thinker (I won't let you treat me like a caged animal/you may have the weapon but I'll set the pace)
- Naive/emotionally vulnerable (Accidentally gave her name, tries hard to not get flustered by Med's indifference)

Okay. Okay. I'm a better writer than I think.

Woooosaaaaa.

I'll make it a point to tweak my writing to show how bold/emotional she is. Right now it just seems like she's calm to me. She's not.

I need that backstory, ASAP.
Last edited by Ildiko on December 12th, 2013, 5:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

I'LL BE GONE FOR CHRISTMAS BREAK. I'll be back and posting more reliably around Jan.
Ildiko
Player

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Purge on December 12th, 2013, 5:35 am

Flashbacks and solo's are the best way, in my opinion, to really find out 'why' your character does things.

For example, Taylani (My Endrykas Captive) has this ever so slight nervousness about wide open spaces. It's not really a phobia (gosh she would DIE in Endrykas then) but in many of her threads, especially early in her captivity, she mentions the nervousness about the lack of solid walls.

I then wrote a flash back with Aka (Dhani, her name is huge and I know I cant spell it lol) where Taylani as a child in Syliras snuck out to the bronze wood.. she ended up being attacked by wolves and Aka saves her. In the end of that thread she mentions that she never wants to be outside of the safety of Syliras walls again.

Thats when I had the epiphany "Thats why Tay doesn't like the openness!"

As you can guess I tend to let my characters develope more ICly rather then planning oocly.

Oh and my regular thread partner in Endrykas wrote it as Syrilas for ever too so its not just you.
Purge
Player

Words: 19805
Joined roleplay: December 7th, 2013, 12:41 am
Race: Zith
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ildiko on December 12th, 2013, 5:48 am

Yeah. Yeah. Thanks.

I know that Ildiko is a bit of a broken bird.
But I also know that she's strong. Strong enough to survive, at least.

Right now, the only thing limiting me from spamming flashback threads is that my knowledge of Zith culture is shotty at best.

I want to breathe life into this, 3 dimensional writing.
I don't know enough for that yet.

That's why I PM'd every active Zith that I noticed >_>;;;

Her past forged her, but I need to know more about Ziths in general before I can even think of tampering with her 'memories'.

Ildiko
Player

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Previous