Completed Darned Hand Is Giving Me Trouble

Why must it be so difficult?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Darned Hand Is Giving Me Trouble

Postby Gale Austin McCenry on November 28th, 2013, 4:04 am

Common Vani Nari

77th of Fall. 513 A.V.
Docks
"You are a great drawer she said. Be an artist she said. You would make a great artist she said." Gale muttered under his breath with frustration." I knew something was going to happen... I knew it. I had a gut feeling." His right hand gripped the stick of charcoal tightly. "Something always happens..." His fingers held the mineral tighter,simply to assure himself that he wouldn't drop it. After all, his right had is more clumsy with a writing utensil than a fish is on land. It just slides everywhere! How did he even learn how to hold this thing?!

Gods, why did it have to be his hand? Why?! Don't dogs always go for the legs or the throat or something? What type of dog attacks the hand? Why not his petching leg?! The damn kelvic went for the leg!! Why did it? He could live without a leg! At least he would still be able to petching draw. Now he can't do anything anymore! Not a damn thing! What is he suppose to do now? He lost what he had been working for for almost his entire life. It's all gone. Just gone.... Just like that. "So much for being an artist..."

Back in the day, when he was just a lad, he and Hana would spend hours just talking and trying to teach each other something. He would teach Hana how to draw and she would try to get him to dance or to play her flute. Whenever Gale was frustrated with a picture or with something that happened Hana would always tell him 'to think about something else. Something that's always been and always will be'. When his mother died, after Hana died, it seemed that art was the only consistent thing in his life. It was predictable, he controlled it, nothing out of the ordinary happened. That's what he thought about in his hard times. It was always there. Now when he needs it most it's gone. So much for being consistent.

The murderer's eyebrows furrowed subconsciously as his mind washed and went through his memories like a line of clothes. Briefly looking at one right after another. His grip on the charcoal slowly getting tighter. His strokes getting slightly heavier and shorter. More scattered. Random. They no longer followed the original pattern he had in mind, but instead was forming it's own image. Flakes of the dark mineral scattered the page as the charcoal roughly scrapped against the papyrus. They were like wood shavings left after a carpenter runs his tool across a wooden surface. But Gale didn't bother brushing them away. His mind was too occupied with other things to even think about what his clumsy hand was doing.

His hand darted across the page in no majestic manner. It looked like how scrapping a knive on glass sounds. Jagged and annoying. The man's emaciated fingertips were white underneath the heavy cloak of black from the pressure they were emitting against the small utensil. Although Gale's right hand was weaker than his left, the piece cracked, and like flame, the charcoal shattered into chunks, scattering across the page and his lap. Gale jumped in shock, his eyes closing in attempts to not get any of it in his eyes. But just like a snap, his eyes reopened, examining the powder and pieces of the charcoal that use to lay in his hand.

The picture was obviously ruined. Even if he carefully blew the pieces off and used wax to get the harder pieces, the page would still look like he drew it on a dirty rag. Not to mention that the picture was horrible. It was terrible! It was the worst thing he had ever seen! The blonde's face twisted in a scowl with repugnance. A scoff let loose in the air and the enraged artist stood to his feet. Screaming in fury, he took hold of the book, cocked his arm back as far as he could, and flung it forward, releasing the sketchbook into the air. It looked almost as if his scream powered it's flight, for Gale was a terrible throw, and it managed to reach to small rolling waves at the edge of the shore.
Last edited by Gale Austin McCenry on December 24th, 2013, 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gale Austin McCenry
McPainty

Words: 701701
Joined roleplay: May 6th, 2012, 2:25 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Mizahar Mentor (1)
Artist (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Overlored (1) Trash Medal (1)

Postby Gale Austin McCenry on December 16th, 2013, 5:32 am

Common Vani Nari
The ocean of the docks crept towards the book as Gale fell to his knees, his hands covering his face. What was he going to do... He had no home, he was depending on his only friend Ricky for that. He had no job, he just lost the ability to do it. He had no family, his father was an undead who didn't give a shyke about him and his parents-in-law also didn't give a shyke. His wife died, his bondmate died. What did he have left? He didn't even have a chance. What type of job could he get that would let in a guy with on two petching fingers on his hand...

The shoreline slowly pulled the leather bound book closer into it's depths as he sat in silence. Gale allowed the shuffling of the water and wind consume his ears as his green eyes starred at the sand below him after his hands fell to his side. The chilled air nipped at his nose and cheeks. The sailors traveled between the Kelp Bar and their ship, yelling back and forth at each other with drunk laughter and hardy shoves in a playful manner. They were repuslive people. They smelled more rotten than the beer they drank, their clothes were tattered and never washed, and most of them had some sort of deformity. Tattoos, piercings, missing limbs and eyes that they earned from the yea- Wait a minute...

The artist turned his head from the sand to a small group of sailors making their way down the docks to a small ship that was in port. It didn't look like anything fancy, but then again, neither did the crew. Or what Gale assumed was the crew.

The artist stood up, watching as the group of four started heading on board the ship before glancing at the sketchbook that was starting to drift into the water. There was a hesitation, then a sigh, and the man jogged over to the water and picking the book up from the water's shallow grip. Some of the front pages got wet, but thankfully the leather protected some of the pages. Nothing a good shaking couldn't fix. With that conclusion in mind, Gale briefly shook the book to let out any excess water drip from the pages and then tucked the book in his bag. He started towards the boat, now watching as they started to unload their cargo from the ship.

One appeared to be missing, or at least still on the ship. Two were carrying crates, which were more than likely filled with fished. The last one seemed to just stand there. With a smug, prideful look about him. He seemed authoritative. With Gale's limited knowledge about sailors and his habit of assuming, he figured it was the captain. It had to be, right? Only the captain can stand around with a look like that on his face.

The murderer took a deep breath and walked towards the man and his crew.
Gale Austin McCenry
McPainty

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Gale Austin McCenry on December 24th, 2013, 2:54 am

Common Vani Nari
His approach was cautious, for Gale didn't want to anger the men and be thrown into the water. After all, he couldn't swim. Pfft, Ha! What a thought! A sailor that can't swim! Haha! That's a good one.

"Hey!" A harsh voice came to him."What da ya think you're doin', bloke?" The artist watched as the captain hurriedly marched over to him. He wasn't even half way down the dock and he was already on his case?!

"Uh- I was just-"

The rather thin captain stopped in Gale's face, leaning over him. If he took just one more step, he'd be stepping on his feet. "Just doin' wha?"

"I was just wondering if you -"

"Ya know wha really chaps ma lips? When people like yaself come alon' thinkin' ya can just get our goods befo' we even unpack! Wait ya filthy turn ya selfish vagik!" Although the tall man abruptly turned on his heels and started his way back to the ship, the other two men had stopped working, watching the captain argue with the plebeian.

Now, Gale was sure anyone who had been in his shoes would be shocked at the aggressive nature of the stranger as well. But he doubted that anyone would stand there as long as he had with that dumbfounded look about his face. It took him almost an entire chime before he gain his composure. The dumbfounded expression about his lips and eyebrows quickly turned into a scowl, and Gale went after him. "I do not want your "goods"!"

The man chuckled briefly, turning around to face the blonde. "Oh yeah? Then wha did ya want? Com'on! Spit it out!"

"A job!" As short this conversation was, Gale was already sick of the man's sarcastic and utterly rude replies and attitude.

The crew men looked at the captain, and the captain back at them. Then they all turned to Gale. The tall man's eyes skimmed down the Zeltivan's body briefly, allowing Gale to do the same to him.

He wasn't a very handsome man, probably by no means of the word. He was only a few inches taller than himself, had shorts that looked like the remains of an old pair of pants. He had a plain white clothe wrapped around his head as if it was some sort of hat. The captain had a bulbous nose that looked like someone put a pear on his face. His eyes were a muddy brown, his jaw was broad, and he was probably able to shove his fist inside his mouth. He had a five o'bell shadow , and his hands were grimy with dirt and what looked like splinters. His shoes didn't look much better than Gale's boots, and his chest was covered in obnoxiously thick chest hair.

Gods, sailors really were filthy.
Gale Austin McCenry
McPainty

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Gale Austin McCenry on December 24th, 2013, 5:58 am

Common Vani Nari
The captain starred for one more moment after observing the artist. Almost as if it was planned, the captain laughed followed closely by the two other men's bellowing snorts. "A job?!" The stranger managed to to say between gasps of air. "Ya dragged your sorry ass down here ta get a job?!"

Gale glared furiously, but attempted to respond calmly. "Yes, I-"

"That's the most ridiculous thing I've eva heard! Hahaha!"

The three sailors laughed and laughed and laughed. It was almost in harmony too, which both confused and infuriated Gale all the more. And it didn't seem that his raging glare made it any better either, for they continued laughing. And laughing. And laughing. Then they chuckled for a a little while. Then it finally died down to wheezing.

With his hands over his stomach, the bare chested man questioned,"Ya think ya goin' to get a job as a sailor," He snatched Gale's wrist and waved his mutilated hand in the air,"with a hand like this?"

The Zeltivan instinctively yanked his hand away from the stranger, though it didn't leave the man's grip until he willingly let go. His cheeks lite up a bright red. "And why the petch not? I see sailors coming down the docks without eyes, or legs, or hands all the time!" Well, maybe not all the time, but he did see a few before! "What is the difference?!"

"What's the difference? Oh, lad, there is a mighty big difference!"

Gale scowled once more,"Yeah? Like what?!"

"Those men have earned their rights to board a ship! Ya can't just go around walkin' willy nilly expectin' some ol' crew will just up and adopt ya like a stray dog! You have ta earn respect first! Honour!" His arms waved around, taking up the space around him, "Ya have ta prove ya are loyal to the crew! Now ya betta get lost before I throw ya off the docks!" the captain turned around and started to head back to the ship once more.

"Hey!" The blonde lunged forward awkwardly and nabbed the back of his shirt with his full hand. He waited until the man turned around in shock before saying,"I apologize, sir, but I am not leaving until I get a job."

There was a long silence that flowed in the air. The only thing that could be heard was the distant chatter of civilians in the distance, the crashing of the waves, and the fire blazing in his eyes. The stranger starred at Gale during that long silence with a quizzical look. It was obvious he was thinking about what he should do. But once he decided, he shook Gale's hand off his shirt and told him,"Alright, son. If ya want to be a sailor..." He placed a hand on his shoulder,"You gotta learn ta swim."

With that, the tall man shoved the artist over the edge of the dock.
Gale Austin McCenry
McPainty

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Gale Austin McCenry on December 24th, 2013, 7:46 pm

Common Vani Nari
In utter terror, the Zeltivan attempted to grab something, anything, to prevent himself from falling into the water. And it might have worked, for his hand managed to graze the captain's shoulder, if he had only wore a shirt.

Gale crashed into the ocean as gracefully as a fish flopping about on land. The cold waves instantly chilled his body, and his arms continued flailing. No one, not even Gale can be sure whether he was trying to swim or attempt to grab something. Who knows, he couldn't have been attacked by a shark with all the splashing and commotion he caused. The thought of that tickled the sailor's fancy, for the three men's bellowing laughs filled the air once again. Thankfully Gale couldn't hear them.

Like a fish caught in a net, Gale flailed and twisted, slowly falling into the water's depths. One of the men, who had a lot more ham on his bones that the captain, slowly stopped laughing and questioned,"Cave, wha if he really can't swim?"

The Captain shook his head,"Would be his fault then, eh?" Still chuckling softly, Cave returned to the boat. The two crew member's looked at each other, wiping the smiles off their face and immediately going to the edge of the dock and falling to their knees, watching the water intently.

All the while, Gale continued to flailed his arms and kick his legs, hoping somehow they'd bring him to the surface. Instead, his hand smacked, what he thought was a rock, letting out a bubbled screech.

The two sailors watched as a group of bubbles floated and popped on the surface. "Should we go in and get him?" The chubbier one asked.

"Just a few more ticks..."

Gale felt the object that his hand had hit, feeling the slimy algae covering it's surface. The murderer would have gagged, but instead quickly attempted to climb the tall object up to the surface. His lungs burned, aching and pushing him to breath, making his movement even more frantic.

"How 'bout now?"

The two men starred for one more tick before nodding. "Yeah, let's go and get 'im." As the pair started to get up and follow after the stranger, Gale came to the surface with a clamorous entrance. The two looked down, not seeing him at first, before turning towards his coughing. "Aaha! There ya are! We were startin' ta get worried ya weren't goin' ta show up!" Gale spat out the salty water in his mouth and continued to cough. He held onto the pylon of the dock with his life, wheezing and coughing. Although Gale wasn't under water anymore, he still felt like he couldn't breath, which was extremely uncomfortable and burned in his chest. The two men started laughing again, and the one more fit stood up and returned to unpacking their cargo.

"Need some help there, mate?" Mr. Chubby questioned, holding his hand down to the artist. It was bluntly refused when Gale shoved the hand away and pressed his forehead against the pylon. "Alright then." The stranger shrugged, but continued to watch Gale as if he was a fish in a barrel.

It took several long chimes for Gale to slowly stop coughing and panting, in which he took it as a time to get out of the freezing water. He glanced at the man watching him with a glare, then towards his left, seeing the next Pylon not too far away. Gale slowly turned his position around the pylon so he was directly in line with the next, then pushed off the one he was holding onto with his leg. He hovered in the water for a moment before reaching the next one. He repeated this process until he got close enough to shore that he could walk out of the water.

Outraged, soaked, and humiliated, Gale rubbed his arms with his hands and went to go home. "If ya can swim in shallow wata then ya can swim in any deep wata!" The chubby sailor called over to him. But Gale simply shook his head and headed home.
Gale Austin McCenry
McPainty

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ariann on March 12th, 2014, 8:46 pm

Grades!

Congratulations! The following records the grades you have recieved! Good job! ^_^

Congrats, Gale McCenry!
GaleMcCenry :
Gale McCenry

Drawing+1 SP
Socialization+2 SP
Swimming+3 SP
Rhetoric+1 SP

Lores:
Objects - Ruining A Drawing With Charcoal Explosions
Emotional - Dogs Cause More Pains Than Pleasures
People - Sailors Are Sickening
Events - Flopping Into The Ocean, So Graceful
Other - Hoping To Be A Sailor And Paying The Price

Notes: For a moment there, at the end, I was a bit timid on the thought that Gale might drown. Considering he has utterly no experience with swimming, he should have drown, but I am glad he did not! ^_^ It was a very, very good read. The portrayal of the sailors was well-done, and I now dislike sailors ^_^

Unfortunately, I cannot find much to give you lores on, besides the five listed above. If you think you should get more, than let me know! I am sure you deserve them! ^_^

If there is any issues with the points I have given, or if you think you deserve More/Different Lores, then feel free to PM me! I will rectify the issue ASAP, if I am indeed incorrect. ^_^ Have a nice day!

Unfortunately, I am not going to be able to play Ariann until my life stabilizes. Sorry in advance to whoever ends up loosing out on threads because of this :\

I am now an official Grader of Mizahar! Happy squeals for all! ^_^ I will be focusing primarily on Zeltiva, but if another region needs cleaning up, let me know! I have a TON of free-time and I always enjoy reading other's threads!

[Unrelated] "(╯ಠωಠ)╯︵ ┻━┻ I quit!"

(Signature courtesy of the awesome Shausha!)
Ariann
Fish Out Of Water.

Words: 94839
Joined roleplay: March 2nd, 2013, 10:13 am
Race: Charoda
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)