Closed Selling a Stick[Abstract]

Clyde sells his newest Magecrafting creation.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Selling a Stick[Abstract]

Postby Clyde Sullins on December 16th, 2013, 1:14 am

Perhaps with some of his other creations, the random enhanced daggers and such, Clyde would have had more trouble selling it. And if it had simply been as he had stated earlier, a staff of wood that could take more hits, then this would have been true, and perhaps Clyde would have been willing to undersell his work... But it was not, it was a true Magic Staff, the first one Clyde had made by himself, not counting Amelia who had simply assisted, and a fine piece to represent his work.

So he could not set a precedent now, by underselling it. Not to mention the fact he planned to spend the Mizas he earned here, on making his own staff with the other one he had obtained. If he did not get what he needed, he would not have the needed mizas to properly enhance his own, which would not do...

So he would go onward if he had to, to find a better buyer who truly understood his creation and its worth. Perhaps even someone within the Stryfe, a paladin with mage training, would want it. And they might have the needed money to buy it.

"Eight thousand"

"Will you take that price?"

It was clear as the man said this, something had shifted within the negotiation. It was only then, that Clyde understood the man had thought him a pushover, and that he was someone who could be strong armed into underselling his craft, so the merchant could make an obscene profit.

But by keeping steady and refusing to give in, he had forced the merchant to see him in a different light, a less weak light.

"Well, that price is certainly more to my liking than your previous offer of seven thousand, but still lower than I think my creation is truly valued upon. Come now, regardless of the price you buy it from me for, I am certain you will be able to find a buyer who will pay more, and still allow you to make a hefty profit, considering your families connections."

"Unless your family plans to keep it. I never know what you all do with the things I sell you. Do you sell them to someone else, or keep them? Though this item is of such worth, it seems like your family might actually want to keep it, even if you sold all the others."

Clyde paused for a moment looking at the man, before taking in a slow breath, a slowly letting it out.

"How about ninety five hundred mizas? Does that seem fair? And I have taken a steep step down from what I offered to begin with."
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Abstract on December 16th, 2013, 1:41 pm

The man frowned at Clyde’s explanation, considering the statement. It depended what the Nitrozians in charge of this wanted more: the staff, or the money. Either way, he still needed to buy it at as low a price as possible, so it didn’t really matter what happened next.

”Ninety five?” he mused over the number, as if considering it. He’d half lost his sense of value for the thing, since they were dealing with such large amounts. Still, this thing was expensive… but probably worth it.

He considered a pair of choices for several moments, before coming up with another number, this one with much less increase than earlier. ”Eight thousand, three hundred.” He still wanted to try getting below the base price if possible… and never above. He was smart enough to avoid that.
Abstract
In a roundabout way... everything is me

Words: 382975
Joined roleplay: June 5th, 2013, 4:06 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (2)

Postby Clyde Sullins on December 16th, 2013, 4:05 pm

The negotiations were moving, but only slowly. The Nitrozian had last bid 8,000, while Clyde had gone down to 9,500. Now he bid again, in response to Clyde's last offer. And so they danced, working numbers back and forth, both undoubtedly doing math in their heads to find the right spot for the next position.

”Ninety five?”

”Eight thousand, three hundred.”

It seemed the merchant was slowing down. He had made a big jump of a thousand, but now... It was up a mere three hundred. And he still wanted him to go another seven hundred up, so he could pay for the needed enchantment...

If he got less, he would have to settle for less, something he did not want to do.

But if the man was going to slow his increase, he would slow his decrease... He could afford to lower another five hundred, while the man needed to increase another seven hundred...

Which Clyde had to take it more slowly, no more big bumps, or else he would have nothing to offer in the ways of lowering his bid.

"Nine thousand, four hundred."

Clyde played with the staff for a moment, spinning it once, feeling at the grain of the wood he had grown so familiar with over the long enchantment, and showing it off a bit... Looking once more at the door, as if considering just taking the staff and going, before turning his attention back to the merchant for his response.
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Abstract on December 17th, 2013, 5:52 pm

The man mused for a moment on Clyde’s response. Tapping his fingers on the desk, he thought the number over, finally coming up with something, and nodding. He slid his previously curled fingers down the wooden surface until they were flat, before glancing up at Clyde with an expressionless face.

”Eight thousand four hundred” he concluded, going exactly 1 000 below the mage. He had a few plans and tricks, which he was willing to use to try and get under the base price. There was a reason he’d been hired: he had a love for negotiation. However, though he could throw out reasoning and meaningless but persuasive talk, he’d decided to forgo that now and stick with the numbers… the plain old numbers.
Abstract

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Clyde Sullins on December 17th, 2013, 6:15 pm

Clyde's last position for the price was nine thousand four hundred, a sizable amount. But with the money they where dealing in, the amounts they now argued over seemed modest almost. A few hundred. A few hundred up and down, moving about the price. But the price for what? The staff? Or for the enchantment itself? If Clyde had sold the staff itself before enchanting it, it would have been worth quite a bit, considering all that had gone into it.

Perhaps that was a way, a way to make things a bit more fair, since clearly the man was only interested in gaining his own best profit.

”Eight thousand four hundred” As he said this, it was clear his current tactic would not work, not to his advantage.

"I think we should pause for a moment, to consider what you are buying, and my expenses in crafting and acquiring it. If all I was selling was the enchantment, it would all be well and good, our current numbers, somewhere between our arguing. But what of my expenses before enchanting it?"

"Do you think it was cheap, to go to Mura, pay a Konti to assist me, and return to Ravok with the wood? Such special wood only found on the isle of Mura? And then I had to pay even more, for the isur here to carve it and infuse it with the magic in its creation I needed. Was that cheap either?"

"So it is all well and good to argue over the value of the enchantment, but the base price of the item itself, to acquire what I needed to do the enchanting on, that was also costly. That alone adds on another several hundred mizas to the worth of the item, along with the added value of the enchantment, which admittedly is the greater of the two costs."

Clyde paused for a moment, before continuing.

"Surely you were not so hasty in your negotiation, that you did not consider the cost of the base item. Regardless of what we settle upon for the staff, for the cost of the enchantment, I will be adding on an additional three hundred mizas for the cost of the base item, to pay for my expenses prior to enchanting it."

"So my bid is nine thousand three hundred, with an additional three hundred for my expenses to acquire the base staff."
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Abstract on December 19th, 2013, 1:21 pm

The shopkeeper couldn’t help his expression turning into a scowl at Clyde’s explanation. Though the new price was technically lower, he still didn’t like it… even though it had reason. He was sorely tempted just to agree on the 9 000, and avoid going any higher… but that was impossible in a situation like this. What if the mage kept edging higher? He wouldn’t be able to retreat… and the thought of going over the base price made him shudder.

Instead, he frowned, taking a seat in the chair behind him and leaning his chin on his hands. The man watched Clyde for almost as long as he had before, trying to decide. Anything was better than over 9 000… but he didn’t know how stubborn his contestant was. ”Eight thousand seven hundred” he concluded, not bothering to answer to the magecrafter’s previous comments. He wasn’t about to give into any kind of guilt or persuasion just yet…
Abstract

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Clyde Sullins on December 19th, 2013, 2:53 pm

Clyde had not been planning beforehand to add in this little bit of the deal, about the base cost of the item. In fact, until moments before he said it, it had not even occurred to him. But then it had, and Clyde decided to go with his sudden and odd idea, whether it had merit or not.

Such was the randomness that could ensue, he supposed, when one tried to make a deal in the city of Ravok... Or with a Ravokian... But since at the moment it was a sellers market, he had the position to do such a thing.

But he was not unreasonable. Whether or not his sudden addition of a base price was a ploy, or a genuine argument Clyde believed in. If asked which was true, the ploy or a genuine feeling of owing, Clyde would be hard put to answer. The idea had struck him, and he had gone with it, he had not yet considered if he actually believed in it.

”Eight thousand seven hundred”

Clyde shrugged, a bit unsure by the answer. Was he saying that much for the enchantment, and accepting the three hundred surcharge for the base price? Or was he saying that period, and ignoring his newest claim? If the latter, well Clyde felt that was a tad rude, to not even give his words the dignity of admitting they existed. He would have preferred if he had just shot them down, than to ignore them in their entirety.

"Would that be eight thousand seven hundred with a understanding of the three hundred charge for the base item? Or without?"

Clyde paused for a moment, due to the unclear nature of their current standing, and gave another number.

"If the latter, I suppose my next place would be nine thousand even, with the added three hundred for the base price costs."
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Abstract on December 19th, 2013, 10:38 pm

The shopkeeper had to resist letting out an obvious sigh of relief at Clyde's proposal. With the number at 9 000, there was no way he was going to have higher than his planned price. He considered giving a lower number... then decided not to push his luck too much.

"Deal" he admitted, leaning under the desk to grab the money... though only Rhysol knew how they were able to store so many mizas. He lifted a large sack onto the table with an audible jingle. He shoved it forward to the edge of the desk, where the mage could easily take it. He then held out his own hand -after wiping it on his pants - to take the staff, fingers curled slightly.

Once the trade was done, he stowed away the staff gingerly before mentioning "Thank you for your business" with a slight incline of his head. "Please come again." It sounded like a pre-thought out statement, the polite conclusion to a deal. The shopkeeper glanced back at the staff carefully, before giving Clyde an equally polite smile, inviting him to leave.

OOCAdd a last post if you want, then put this up for grading!
Abstract

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Clyde Sullins on December 19th, 2013, 11:10 pm

It seemed Clyde's steadfastness paid off, and he ended up getting what he wanted. It seemed almost with relief the man said "Deal", before Clyde could add to the deal or change anything. Or add to the price. Perhaps he was right to fear Clyde in this regard, but when making a negotiation from a position of strength, it was always easier to get what one wanted. Especially when one is attempting to be reasonable in doing so.

Clyde handed over the staff with only the slightest hint of sorrow, knowing he would miss his finest creation yet. But the money would help, all nine thousand gold rimmed mizas of it... So he took his earnings, and gave his creation one last look, before nodding.

"Thank you for your business. Please come again."

"Treat it well, and make sure its holder is worthy of its abilities."

Clyde knew the only worthiness of the holder would be based on said persons purse and how fat it was, but it was a nice thing to think that perhaps it would truly go to a mage who could use it properly... But it seemed a unlikely outcome...

With that, Clyde turned to leave, a bit sad, but happy that his earnings could pay for his next creation, one he would actually get to keep.

OOCI thought at the end of a modded thread, the modder graded it in their last post. Or at least, thats what's happened in all my other modded thread.
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Abstract on December 28th, 2013, 2:23 pm

Grade Awarded!

~|-|~

Clyde

Award :
Skills

~ Negotiation - 5
~ Storytelling - 1

Lores

~ Selling a Magic Staff
~ Negotiation: Using Explanations

Other

- 1 Magic Staff
+ 9 000 gm

~|-|~

Notes

An easy grade, since I remember what was going on :) Enjoy the negotiation though! You deserved it. You certainly worked for the 9 000 gm.
Abstract

Office
Scrapbook

Previous