The Time and Why I Love Watches

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Shane Wallsly on December 30th, 2013, 8:43 pm

Outside of this site whenever I am away from my computer (and only not when I'm at my computer because it has a clock on it) I always carry a watch and compulsively look at it like a crazy person. Now I find this hard to ignore when writing from my PC's point of view. I feel, in a weird sort of way, that he has inherited at least an acute time somethingorwhatever.

Okay where is my question? Ah right here we go. I know that in Mizahar we use Bells, Chimes and Ticks to reference the time. However do these onomatopoeic (spell checked) words have a reason. Do the places of Mizahar ring bells and have chimes... Do they have clocks? Ummm, do the Watchtowers make noises about the time? How do people of Mizahar tell the time? Frankly I've been using the old candle with bits of metal in them that ping when the wick burns down to it but only the odd Dominac Avira would use such a method.
Group Threads: 1/3

ImageImageImage

Clerk at Mystic Eye Fortune Telling
Shane Wallsly
Success Is The Only Option

Words: 284445
Joined roleplay: September 30th, 2013, 9:10 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)

Postby Gale Austin McCenry on December 30th, 2013, 9:32 pm

Hey Shane!

Once again, this is one of those questions that I don't know the full answer too, (such as how they tell chimes and bells and such) however, the Watchstones on the Watchtowers

flare brilliantly at midnight (it can be seen for miles and miles) at the season changes.

Of course, you probably know the colours already.

Winter - Blue Watchstone
Spring - Green Watchstone
Summer - Yellow Watchstone
Fall - Red Watchstone

So, they shine bright at midnight, but I don't believe they make any noise.

For bells and chimes and such, I've been wondering the same thing, however, after taking a look at the Mizahar Calander Page, I found this quote, which I found useful.

The Sun rises around hour 7 and sets around hour 19 depending upon the season.

Depending on someone's age, (Children probably wouldn't understand, but adults would) I figured that people would naturally know when the sun rises, it's 7, and when it sets, it's 19. I believe it would help tell time for people, especially when it's close to either of those times, and they can look (not directly, of course) at the sun and get a general feel of what bell it is. To find out the middle of the day, I did this:

7-19= 12
12/2=6
7+6=13
19+6=13

So, when the Sun is at it's peak, people can tell it's the 13th bell. Unless I did my math wrong (because I'm not the best at math) With those given "check points" (7,13, 19), that should help them with the rest of the bells in the day.

Of course, this wouldn't likely work if the day was cloudy or if you live in an area where there are lots of trees or anything else obstructing your way.

So, that's how I would really judge it, but I'm not 100% sure if their are any other ways to do it. The closest thing to a clock I can think of that Mizahar MIGHT have is a Sun dial, though I've never heard anyone mention anything of the sort, so I wouldn't count on that, really.

Anyway, I hope that at least helps. If you think I'm wrong on anything, then don't be afraid to tell me or to disregard what I said. I'd rather be corrected or ignored than to give false info.

Gale Austin McCenry
McPainty

Words: 701701
Joined roleplay: May 6th, 2012, 2:25 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Mizahar Mentor (1)
Artist (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Overlored (1) Trash Medal (1)

Postby Alses on December 30th, 2013, 9:59 pm

Gale has already covered most of what I might say, but I'll just add my two pennies in:

Lhavit, for instance, has an enormous sundial (see here), and the Gadgeteering article makes reference to complex clockwork timepieces of various types - but also notes they're now the preserve of the rich and powerful.

I would suggest that the city government (if there is one) and/or wealthy inhabitants or institutions would own mechanical clocks, from which the bells of various temples and government buildings might be set, ringing out to tell the (general) time to the common citizens of a city.

Alses
Lady Magesmith

Words: 1556681
Joined roleplay: August 8th, 2012, 2:32 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Fallan Windchaser on January 1st, 2014, 4:49 pm

As someone who spends a good deal of time interested in watches and dabbles in watchmaking I can understand the preoccupation. However watches even a hundred years ago watches were the province of the rich and even the dollar watches were expensive. Before that people did not have a preoccupation with the time and nor did they gave the expectation of instant response to email an texts that we now have.

For most people timekeeping was dependant upon either judging by the position of the sun and moon. This is easier than you think with practice. The other way was by hearing church bells which were rung at least once per hour. This latter I would assume to have been the historical basis if the names of bells and chimes even if this is no longer done.

As an aside with experience with watchmaking I find it farcical where gadgeteers make watches. It's a bit like making a fusion reactor with just bits of string. Clocks are achievable but if you look at a medieval clock you will see there is good reason most are set in buildings.

Fallan Windchaser
Rider in the dark

Words: 231014
Joined roleplay: August 2nd, 2009, 12:46 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)