Voiding and Glyphing

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Voiding and Glyphing

Postby Thannis Daraktheon on January 4th, 2014, 8:18 pm

Okay, I'm just going to embarrass myself and come right out with a question I really should have known before taking Voiding and Glyphing. To put a Portal into a Focus do you just push the portal onto say the paper where the focus is drawn? Or do you have to summon the void right on the paper? Can you summon the void through solid objects? Does it take more Djed? What happens when the Void disappears? Would it not leave a portal shaped hole? I think I detracted from my original question.

Essentially I am hoping to make a Scroll that opens up a Portal to the Other Side. Intended use? I want to be able to lay them out on the ground and then maybe cover them with leaves and get people to fall into the Void. Maybe not quite that but I would like to get a grasp of Voiding and Glyphing because it is suddenly not as easy as I had originally thought.
Much Thanks to Caela For This Sig!
Thannis Daraktheon
Player

Words: 51656
Joined roleplay: January 4th, 2014, 2:08 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Voiding and Glyphing

Postby Annalisa Marin on January 4th, 2014, 8:28 pm

I'm not an expert on Voiding but I've used both it and Glyphing together a few times IC, so I'll take shot at answering these.

I would imagine you could move a Portal into a Focus at competent up, since that is when one can actually move them. I'm not sure if you can summon it into solid objects though, remember that Portals to the Void get overwhelmed and can collapse when trying to absorb something too big. I've never tried to summon Portals to dig holes in things... perhaps an experiment for later? Bah, in any event.

Here is how I've used Voiding with Scrolls, you know how in Morphing one records a transformation by transforming over the Focus? Well I've done similar things with Voiding, the Focus essentially recording the act of opening a Portal when it is done over it and widening it to the needed size. I could be wrong in this application, but that's how best I can explain being able to store static portals.

I would say your trap Scroll idea is very possible, the portals just need to be the right size and stay open long enough. Sorry if that didn't help as much and my input could very well be wrong, so take it with a grain of salt. :)
Annalisa Marin
Sorceress of Chaos

Words: 1635951
Joined roleplay: May 19th, 2013, 6:52 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)