Cast the First Stone

Casting the first stone in a relationship typically isn't a good thing. But who cares?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Cast the First Stone

Postby Gale Austin McCenry on February 8th, 2014, 10:54 pm

23rd of Winter, 513 A.V.
Docks

Each day owned itself. One days doesn't effect another, it's just the people that drag the past into the present. Lucky for Gale, the sailor didn't quit his job like he was beginning to consider. The job wasn't any easier, for Cave still pushed him around and everyone else just continued to laugh in his face, but he had to take it one day at a time. Cave's pranks were petty (or not), but he couldn't let that define his entire relationship with his job. He had to keep it positive, right? As miserable as it was to have to clean the deck on all fours with an old brush named Jeff, there were upsides to it. Bird, the lookout, is actually starting to put what he knew of Vani to good use. Suppose that was an upside. Kutless was always says things as if it was positive, even if what he was saying wasn't so. Crate, the 'crate master', was the same way, though not quite as outgoing as the captain. Tin, the cook, was always handing out advice. Tin was the quietest one in the crew, but he was definitely the nicest one and never hesitates to lend a hand. All of those were positives.

The biggest thing though that came to Gale's mind was the meals. As sad as it is to say, the food was horrible. However, Tin always made it look and smell at least decent, which always made Gale assume he was a great cook. Only if he had... real food to serve. But that wasn't the point. The point was, no matter what they were doing, as long as it was either breakfast, lunch, or dinner, they all grabbed their barrel which they claimed as their seats and sat down in a circle and ate whatever Tin handed them without a complaint. The conversations were hardy and light in mood, and it appeared that all negative associations with one person on the crew just melted away. Cave, the second mate, was even the one to sit next to him sometimes, despite hating his guts at any other time in the day. Kutless always told an exaggerated stories of his first days at sea, which the rest of the crew could recite themselves with pinpoint accuracy. Bird, who was typically bitter and angry all the time, actually laughs at Crate's jokes. It was like a big family really.

But once meal time was over, that atmosphere generally slips away and things were back to normal. But it always felt better to work when you leave off on a good note.

Considering that breakfast was just served and these were the first hours of today's set of chores, Gale headed off The Bringer in a good mood. With a bucket in hand, and... Jeff in the other, he headed towards the water to fill up the pale so he could get started on cleaning off the deck. He slipped his shoes off on their ship, for he didn't want to have them soaked like they were his first day. So he walked along the sandy shore with bare feet, which he didn't mind for the sand felt nice gliding under his feet and toes.

The man took no time reaching the shore and taking a few paces into the water. He dipped the bucket in, pulling it out. He took a moment to dump some of the sea water out so the bucket wasn't filled to the brim. But once that was done, he started to make his way back to the shore, for the water didn't feel like water at all. More like ic- cough cough-

No, no, not again.

Gale felt the all familiar sting and buzz in his throat as his lungs forced him to hack and cough. It was as if they still hadn't forgiven him for almost drowning. Pfft. He brought his arm up to his mouth in attempts to muffle or at least cover up the random, dry coughing fit. It was a vicious thing, making the emaciated looking man heave and bend over. He almost looked like he either was choking on something or!... He was about to puke. But neither of those things were true, and Gale certainly didn't cough up anything he had for breakfast. Nevertheless, it was an odd sight to see, and the blonde hoped that the passerbys were too distracted with themselves and their friends to notice.
Gale Austin McCenry
McPainty

Words: 701701
Joined roleplay: May 6th, 2012, 2:25 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Mizahar Mentor (1)
Artist (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Overlored (1) Trash Medal (1)

Cast the First Stone

Postby Kalina on February 12th, 2014, 12:08 pm

By the side of the docks, a small child, female, and no older than seven or eight, sat, staring at the docked ships and water below. The moss green eyes, with vertical slits for pupils were so obviously chatoyant that anyone with a modicum of intelligence would instantly recognize what she was… or what she was not. She was wearing a mauve dress, a purchase by her Master from just before they left Ravok, though the condition of the dress was not in a similar condition to when first purchased it. Although Marcus had made sure there was ample growing room, Kalina was growing fast, and the dress was also beginning to show signs of stretching around her slight frame.

The dockyard had fast become one of the favourite haunts for the little Kelvic, second to the Mirahil Pass at the other end of the city. She had not, in all honesty, done much exploring of the city proper, having been banned from certain areas by her Master, who, with the other members of their original travelling party, kept a close eye on her. “
Clyde’s gone, though… I think, ” the child wonders, having not seen him for a few days, and knowing that he was to leave at some point. Kalina herself was glad to be staying. She liked Clyde, yes, and was sad to see him go. But she was bored of travelling, having spent over a Season moving around to get to here. The hunting had been fun; it was something that Kalina had never had any chance of doing on the lake city. The sights, smells and sounds had kept her entertained for many hours through the night, but then she was expected to travel during the day. The result had been a number of loud, and sometimes violent, tantrums.

Here, however, Kalina had the luxury of doing whatever she wanted, when she wanted, within reason. Nights were often spent hunting just outside of the city, or, on occasion, she would stalk a rodent or two within the city limits. People still hadn’t lost their appeal for the Kelvic child, but she often found herself shunned, or ignored, much like some of the reactions from the people of Ravok, which was why she spent the morning by the docks, choosing to stare at the fish that she had yet to work up the courage to catch.

Her legs swing over the edge of the wooden planks as she leaned over, looking at the murky water, hoping her keen eyes would find something of interest for her. A sound behind her, however, distracted her. A violent coughing sound. Kalina had been ill before, and knew it meant that the origin of the sound was sick, but the coughing continued and even once caused the young girl to wince. Turning, she noticed a man hunched over, as he apparently tried to cough up his entire lungs.

He doesn’t seem busy…” was the first thought to occur to the child and she decided to seize the opportunity of the stationary man. Pushing herself back away from the edge, she was fast to her feet, and she skipped over to the man, who stood no more than a few feet away from her, "Why you coughing?" She asked bluntly, having never fully grasped the point of polite, phatic communication.

OOCSorry, tis not my best, and I've sort of jumped right into it, but hey, gets the ball rolling faster!
Kalina
Come and play.

Words: 177677
Joined roleplay: June 14th, 2013, 12:38 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Cast the First Stone

Postby Gale Austin McCenry on February 20th, 2014, 4:30 am

OOCShort post, sorry.

Gale dropped the bucket and his hand gripped his chest. The cough was a dry one but Gale felt as if water was filling his lungs again. He even gagged at the sensation, though the gag was short lived and replaced with another cough. But the random fit was soon over, thankfully, and the green eyed man was able to take a minute to gather himself once more. He ran a hand through his hair, readjusted the position of his vest, and briefly rubbed his aching throat. But once done, he picked up the bucket and made his way to the ship.

But he didn't make it to the ship before one of the onlookers stopped him with the question on everyone's mind. "Why you coughing?"

"Um." He managed to say as he briefly glanced around to find the source of said question. It was a young girl who stood to his left. "Well, I have not been feeling well." Gale said. His voice sounded just as harsh as the cough. If you could hear it that is. His voice was almost nonexistent, though what was there sounded unbearably hoarse and even painful. Because it was.

The man didn't say anything more than that, for his throat was already protesting. But he also figured that would be the end of the conversation. Anyone with ears probably wouldn't want to hear him speak another word for it sounded like death. Besides, he was already walking away and children's attention spans weren't very long. She'll likely started looking for fish or shells in the sand or go bug someone else or something.
Gale Austin McCenry
McPainty

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Cast the First Stone

Postby Kalina on February 21st, 2014, 8:09 pm

[googlefont=Junge]

The hacking and coughing continued after Kalina spoke for a few moments before the man looked up and spoke. She stood there, wide eyed and open, hands clashed behind her back as she bounced on the balls and heels of her foot. "
Not been feeling well?" She blinked once, twice, "Duh..." generally, when people were sick, they didn't feel well. She wondered briefly if there was something else wrong with him... Kalina had never been sick enough to go to the Healing Hand when they were in Ravok, though she had been treated a few times in the Kelvic Research Institute. Surely Zel-va had something similar for this man, especially if he was stating the obvious.

But before she could voice her concerns, she heard a splash from the otherwise relatively quiet water, and her head snapped to the left, eyes staring down as her large pupils looked for the origins of the sound. Ticks passed and she didn't move, predatory instincts taking over as she tried to spy or hear something else. Finally, she pivoted back and released her clasped hands from behind her back, remembering the man. But he had begun to walk off.

A whine escaped her lips but she tore after him nonetheless, catching up in no time, as he was not moving with any speed. "
I got sick once," she spoke in an upbeat, contradictory tone to the one that he had just used. Social cues were, for the most part, lost on the ignorant Kelvic, and the man's harsh tone meant nothing to her. "But not sick now." Walking along beside him, she raised her hands up to him, as if that might somehow prove to him that she was currently healthy. Pulling them back, she looked at the palms herself for a moment before wiping them down on her dress and rubbing each finger with fingers from her other hand - water, sand and splintered wood rubbed away easily, though they remained a little dirty. The greying-haired girl frowned but dropped her hands to her side.

"
What are you doing?" She changed the topic as she looked back over to the man, "I came to look at the fishes, there are lots of fishes in the big water, but it don't like the big water, is too big and I'm not good at swimming. Want to catch them, can't catch them though. Hard, you see." She hummed to herself for a moment, "Master gave me my first fish to eat, I had it cold and his was hot and he let me try some. Did you know it tastes very different if it's hot or cold? I like it both ways but hot takes longer so I have cold most times. But Master only buys them if I'm good, see. Have to be good."
Kalina
Come and play.

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Cast the First Stone

Postby Gale Austin McCenry on February 21st, 2014, 10:24 pm

It was typical for the saying that one was 'not feeling well' to equaled that they were sick. Sometimes however, mainly on rare occasions, it didn't mean so exactly. Having an injury probably meant you didn't feel well but that didn't mean you were sick. Unless it got infected and you somehow managed to get sick from it. But Gale wasn't sick per say. If he was sick, he wouldn't bother coming to work, for the crew would probably come up with some snarky nickname for him like Green Gills or Pukebag or something. He had a habit of being called a lot of nicknames you see. However, Gale was not sick. And Kutless could tell, despite how mangled his voice sounded and the persistent coughing fits. How he could tell, Gale didn't know. Why Kutless decided to make him work in such a condition, he didn't know either, but it didn't matter for the man always felt like he was on the last straw with the crew and any sort of absence or screw up would cost him his job.

Which is why he didn't wish to talk to the girl for very long, despite having a general liking to children. But Gale's luck always, and I mean always, chose to screw with him whenever it can. The girl, after being distracted for a few ticks, as Gale suspected, came pouncing back, now talking more than ever and going on about being sick and not being sick and all this other fluffy conversation stuff. Though, despite all the fluff and ramble bamble that kids normally go off on, he somehow was somewhat interested. Probably because she stuck her hand out to him, which gave him something to do while he 'listened'.

His green eyes scanned the girl's fingers, which were covered in dirt and grim. Typical of children. Then the Zeltivan naturally eyed the rest of the child. Her hair appeared to be greying, which seemed a little odd, for Gale himself hadn't hardly started to grey yet and he was thirty three compared to the, what, seven, eight year old girl? Then again, some people do grey early so he supposed it wasn't a huge deal. It wasn't his problem anyway...yet. Though, his eyes didn't stick to the same area for too long, and they eventually ran down the long hair to the girls youthful face.

She was a beautiful young girl to say the least. Despite her slightly greying hair, Gale had no doubt that she would grow up to be an equally beautiful young woman, which brought both a sort of joy and a sort of pain to the man. Children always reminded him of the people in his life, both living and deceased, which was a wonderful reminder at times. But there wasn't really a way to prevent the aching inside him that longed for the ones who've passed. In someways, this girl reminded him of Kendhl. Bubbly and just never stopped talking. Everything made since to Kendhl when she spoke but nothing made since to him, which was how this conversation was starting to turn out. Like when the strange little girl started talking about her... Master?

Slavery was illegal in Zeltiva, Gale was pretty sure. He never came across a situation involving slavery for it wasn't that common of an occurrence here. Zeltiva was one of the cities that slaves typically flee to to escape slavery. He's heard that story a thousand times over. But bringing your slave to Zeltiva? Versus taking them to a city that actually accepts slavery? What type of nut job would think of doing such a thing? With this being said, if this girl really was a slave and had a 'master', why wouldn't said master tell her to keep quiet on the subject? More importantly, where is this master of hers? Why wasn't he with her?

Gale was dreadfully confused at this point, and he glanced around the docks for suspicious figures that might be lingering near by. None of said figured were found, but the eerie feeling of being watched still hovered over him. His attention returned to the girl who was now talking about her preference between raw and cooked fish. As much as Gale loved fish and would like to talk about the subject, his mind couldn't get away from the previous title that was brought to his attention. Should he contact the authorities about this? He wasn't entirely sure.

The sailor slowed down his pace so he can spare some time to think about it and to keep her occupied so she didn't run off. "What does good behavior look like to your... master then?" Obviously staying with him at all times was not one of them. "What do you have to do to be good?"
Gale Austin McCenry
McPainty

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Cast the First Stone

Postby Kalina on March 10th, 2014, 5:59 pm

[googlefont=Junge]

When the man suddenly stopped walking, the Kelvic was so intent and focused on what she was saying that she continued on. It was only when she looked over to him once again that she realised he was no longer there. Glancing around, she turned and her eyes brightened once again to see him standing a few feet behind. She pounced back over to him, an obvious skip in her step; it was an elegant movement - though she was not as agile in human form, compared to when she was in ocelot form, the young girl still had a certain grace about her, when she wasn't overly excited.

Her grin grew wider as she heard the man speak, she was thrilled that he had listened to her ramblings and was engaging in the conversation. She nodded fervently, "
I'm very good, that's what Master says." she squeaked in response. "He teaches me lots of things. 'Melia teaches me things too, like how I shouldn't keep giving presents to people. I only gave her a rat, because she isn't a good hunter like me, but I think it's just because she doesn't like rats... they're not very pretty. But they taste good. And she said I have to wear clothes when I look like this." she gestures down to her dress, though she had had it since before leaving Ravok, she loved it and took good care of it so it looked relatively new.

"
But Master taught me about money and... Well I think that money is silly... why would you buy clothes with money, when you can buy fish. 'Parrently you don't exchange things for more things, which makes more sense to me... But Master says you use money." It was clear that the girl was proud of how much she had learnt, and she continued on her tangent, clearly forgetting the original question. "The gold ones are best, and then the silver ones. Bronze is the worst. But I can't always tell the difference in the colour, you see. They are very similar and I get confused with my eyes."

She paused for a moment, and her head dipped, as if debating to go on. There was something in the man's voice that she finally picked up on, something... sad, maybe pitying... maybe even disapproving, and she wondered if she had said or done something wrong. Raising her head, she met his eyes once again and, though she couldn't particularly place the emotions that she saw, she instinctively knew that they weren't particularly good emotions. "
He gave some of the gold ones and got me once, when I met him," her voice was markedly dulled as she reminisced about the day she learnt about Mizas and asked Marcus the question, "It wasn't a nice place though. I just had a small little metal room with holes in it, and there were lots of people like me there. Living with Master is nicer. But I don't like his horse. Do you like horses?"

She lifted her hand, as she had seen her Master do often when greeting people, and stuck it out, fingers spread wide in a poor imitation of what she could recall of an offer of a handshake, "
My name's Kalina," she said brightly, "What's yours?"
Kalina
Come and play.

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes