PM to join Lovely Ladies [Ivandra, Isalie, Isolde Seibold]

Three ladies come to the Prince of Rats for training in the art of poisons.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Lovely Ladies [Ivandra, Isalie, Isolde Seibold]

Postby Hope Dawnwhisper on August 20th, 2013, 12:34 pm

OOCAfter a month, the three of us have decided to continue on without Ivandra for now. Ivandra, when you come back, feel free to jump back in, but we want to continue moving forward with the RP.

Not for the first time, Isalie was surprised to hesitant silence, when the poisoner wonders over and sits beside her, making himself comfortable amidst the rats. First, and foremost, as she was only just beginning to get a sense of self preservation, since meeting Matthew, she was worried that Ninus was not paying enough attention to the other two. What if something explodes? Though she knew something of poisons themselves, Isalie knew nothing of poison making, and didn't know if anything would explode if it were mixed with another substance. She doesn't voice her fear, however, glancing briefly over at the undead and the not-quite human creatures standing not far away from herself and Ninus.

Se hears the man speak to her and instantly she relaxes; she didn't have to pay him a penny, that was what he was telling her, or at least that was what she thought he was telling her. Either way, the young woman realises that there is no harm in sharing a short tale with three people she would quite likely never meet again. She mulls the man's question over in her mind, trying to decide what she should regale her most unusual audience with. Given the circumstances of the meeting, as well as the dynamic of people in the gathering, she imagined that not much of her life would disturb them, so she had free reign.

She continues to grind the cherry stones, the anger that rises up from her past fuels her on slightly. Eventually, she chooses a moment, a moment that defined her personality before it had been fully formed. "
I must have been eight or nine," the runaway slave begins quietly, though she could tell from their stances that the two women where listening in too, so she speaks loud enough for the, to hear too, "When I first became a slave, when actual money was exchanged and I became someone's property. Imagine, if you will, amidst a normal market, like the one we all met in, people are selling other people. They are lined up, chained up, some barely covered, in the midday blistering heat. There I was, an orphan who had been wandering around, begging, on the block, for sale. And what a sale I must have been: filthy, malnourished, uneducated, immature. I hadn't even bled for the first time; who would want to own that?" Her question is obviously rhetorical, but it gives the listeners something to think on.

"
One of the slavers had previously walked around and inspected us all..." she shudders, "He had inspected every last crevice. It was his his job, he would tell us just after taking some of the older girls, to check that his merchandise was... fully functional." She pauses, to look down at her mortar. Truth be told, she was lost in her own tale. "I was chained and terrified; doing nothing to help the slavers sell me, but some man comes along and thinks I'm worth something. I was lucky, though; I spoke the Myrian tongue, unlike most other slaves there. It meant that my obedience was expected, and given, quickly."

Isalie glances up, looking around the room to Ivandra, then Isolde, and finally to Ninus, an apologetic expression in her eyes. No one had ever asked to share a tale to with them; she didn't know how to, and so had most likely done a terrible job of narrating why this day had been cemented in her mind, beside the obvious. The young woman had a whole lifetime of tales most people could only have nightmares of; she could have shared beatings, the night she stole her horse and rode to freedom, her travels to Syliras, learning of poisons, anything, and she chose to tell them that, once, she had been sold, and she hadn't even embellished it a little.

"
Hindsight is a beautiful thing, I've always thought," her words were quiet, as if she was talking to herself rather than to those listening, though her words were meant for them. "It is against the law to own a slave in Syliras, which is one of the reasons I first decided to remain here. But... Look at me." the words come out as a command as she. Herself, looks down at her own body, "I was kept well as a slave. I was something, and I had a future. Now? I am nothing." She'd said the same thing to the prostitute and her words meant as much then as they did now. "But, worse than being nothing, I'm a starving nothing..." She turns back to Ninus, it was, after all, his payment, and she doubted whether that satisfied him. "I'm sorry, maybe you should tell me what you want a tale of... I'm new to all of this."

Myrian | Common | Pavi
Hope Dawnwhisper
The only way is not to play.

Words: 127742
Joined roleplay: May 23rd, 2013, 2:32 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Ninus Aurellius on August 21st, 2013, 4:32 pm

The Prince of Rats

Ninus smiled to Isolde and left Isalie for only a few minutes, taking the Nuit's hands in his. He looked at the flower wilted from the soft friction heat from the dead muscles, and guided her to release the flower into a bowl of water. "One should see the oil come from the flower, and float shining upon the surface of the water. It takes patience." he told her quietly. Indeed, the flower reacted to the cool water in the cracked ceramic bowl by releasing the barest hint of shining yellow oil. It would be a gradual release, and this would give Isalie ample time to tell her tale.

The poisoner sat on the ground before Isalie and listened, the soft grinding of the pestle against the hard bits of unground cherry stone a pleasant background. He knew of slavers, he had a close brush with them himself at a young age. His adoptive mother Freidys had been offered a fair sum of silver mizas to sell him into slavery, to which the slaver had met open hostility at the end of his mother's knife. He knew how cruel slavers could be, carrying around their living burdens with hollow eyes and visible ribs.

It had been an interesting experience to witness them, and so he could easily imagine the backdrop of Isalie's tale. When she was finished he put his hand to her wrist, pausing her in her grinding. "But thou art useful. Before this day is out, the trees and weeds of the forest so quickly trampled and forgotten by others shall be your shield. No slaver shalt touch you, for the grasses of the earth and mere leaves of trees will end him. If I, born to an oak tree and founded by bandits, can learn to feed and clothe myself so can you." he told her earnestly. "Has not dust saved a man's life, when his enemy was blinded? Has not a mere pebble caused the mighty horse to limp and cry in pain? Does not grass feed thousands of lives, and hide others? Have I not seen beggars consumed in the streets by my knights, with their long tails and sharp fangs? Things that one thinks are useless are not truly so. It is the same with thy poor wretched hide."

Ninus stood and went to the bowl of water, bringing it to Isolde and gently plucking out the flower. "See how oil floats there, beads of topaz amongst the surface of the water? It is this you seek. Come." he nodded to the kitchen fire and settled the bowl in the coals, watching steam begin to rise from the water. "Water flies quickly into the air from flame, but oil is content to rest in the bowl, warm and comfortable." he told her as the water diminished. Sure enough, the oil was beginning to outlast the evaporating water, which had a foul odor.
Ninus Aurellius
The Prince of Rats

Words: 151414
Joined roleplay: June 17th, 2013, 2:44 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Isolde Seibold on August 22nd, 2013, 9:57 pm

OOCDon't worry about the change in avatar; Isolde still looks how she did before. Later on in the Season she gets a new body, which is why I get a new face!

For once, Isolde was distracted from a lesson. She liked to think of herself as a good student. Always carefully listening, particular in her actions, eager to please her teacher or teachers.

But Isalie and her tale, it was too much to ignore. The Nuit felt herself dumbfounded as she listened, a dull sort of horror clawing in her belly when the girl --now known to be an ex-slave-- said that she was nothing. Called herself nothing. More than how she must have been mistreated, more than the fact that before becoming a slave the girl had been a beggar child on the streets --something which caused a flash of unwanted memory to go ripping through Isolde's mind-- more than all of the rest of that horrid tale, Isolde felt as if she'd been punched in the gut by Isalie's final contemplations. Now she was nothing? Now she didn't have a future?

When Isolde looked at the people around her, passing by countless, nameless faces on the streets, all of them alive, all of them going about their business, from the kindest old woman to the most devious teen boy... she saw in them great potential. And a person like Isalie, she had the most potential of all. So many things she could do, if she wanted. So many things she could learn. So many jobs she could take. So many new experiences, new freedoms just waiting for her. So much growth. So far to go, yet.

And she thought she had no future? She thought she was nothing?
She was the greatest something there was.

Between the Nuit and the ex-slave, there was no competition. Isalie could become so much more. If only she could get started. If only she would believe she could.

Isalie was by no means nothing. Isolde almost felt herself affronted by the claim. She immediately rejected it.

No. No, that was not right.

"See how oil floats there, beads of topaz amongst the surface of the water? It is this you seek. Come. Water flies quickly into the air from flame, but oil is content to rest in the bowl, warm and comfortable."

The Nuit seemed to be broken from a spell when Ninus suddenly spoke, and she turned her face sharply towards him, wondering how he had gotten so close without her noticing, automatically taking a step back out of habit. Her eyes flickered from him and back to Isalie, and something in her gaze had changed. There was some... determination that had not been there. Some burning need. Not to take, but to give.

How could she help Isalie see that she was something, after all? How could she do that? Her mind whirred. Isalie had to see.

But how?

Well, first they needed to finish the lesson. Then, then somehow the Nuit would reach out to the girl. Yes. She could start by speaking to her.

Don't forget. First, the lesson.

Isolde forced her eyes back to Ninus and the bowl, following after him towards the kitchen fire, the low-heated coals, watching him and reabsorbing his words, going over them in her mind. The water in the bowl was quickly evaporating like he said, leaving the light layer of golden oil behind to simmer.

"I-Is the oil of the flower the o-only ingredient in the p-poison, or is th-there some m-mixture that needs to be added? And--" She deliberated for a moment, wondering if this would seem stupid but wanting to ask, regardless, "And a-are there any, uh, p-poisons that actually are m-mixtures? S-Say if we t-took I-Isalie's ground cherry pit and m-my foxglove oil and put them together... w-would the resultant combination b-be more p-potent and h-have different effects, or i-is doing something like that of n-no use?" That question was so that she might better understand how poison-making actually worked. Could one make their own unique poisons, based on what knowledge they had gathered thus far? Could one... experiment? If so, she might look into that, might learn more. Certainly if there was some such process that she could follow, then she could --if there were no others already like it-- create a poison that might cater to her needs specifically.

Isolde Seibold
the roots of the tree

Words: 434086
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2013, 3:57 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Hope Dawnwhisper on August 24th, 2013, 7:50 pm

The young woman laughs, it was a mirthless laugh, and her smile didn't come close to reaching her eyes. Her reaction was all in derision for his words, as if this poisoner, a man who liked in some dark, dank hovel in a corner of the city, allowing people to pay for his teachings with stories? And terrible stories at that? He thought that he could make her life worthwhile?
Not likely. But she stays quiet and continues to grind the cherry stones into a powder. She hoped it wasn't obvious that she wasn't suddenly using more force on the pips because of her frustrations.

The ex-slave, for a moment, even wonders if the poisoner truly grasps the situation Isalie had described, the tumult she found herself in. He spoke of poisoning anyone who tried to claim her as property again, and clearly he did not know Isalie. She could never harm another for personal gain. At least... she likes to think that she wouldn't. The young woman wanted to believe the best of herself, if all she had was her personality, she should make it something beautiful. Beyond that, though, the girl would never even admit to herself, let alone another person, that she might welcome being enslaved again with open arms. There, she was relatively safe. Here, not so much. It was a dreadful thing to wish upon herself, but it was how she felt.

The poisoner leaves her side and she listens as he speaks to Isolde, her mind acting like a sponge as she sucks up all the information Ninus gives to the other. Next, Isolde asks her own question, and for the first time, Isalie isn't curious about the answer, because she can give one example herself. And she answers the question without even thinking.

"
There are some harmless foodstuffs that, when mixed, have adverse affects." She stops her own grinding and churning and puts the mortar beside her before shifting her position a little to stop her body from falling asleep from remaining in one position for too long. "Like salt and mustard seeds..." She shrugs, realising that she was speaking out of turn, when she was only here to learn. "There was a man in a caravan I travelled with. It didn't kill him, but he was very ill for some time."

The girl bites her lip, wondering if she should go on. She decides to, "
And milk of the poppy, to relieve pain? Never mix that with ale and the like..." She considers, "But those two things on their own, if you have too much, will kill you. They're both... they're both poisons, sort of, aren't they?" Isalie glances over to Ninus and meets his eyes, a questioning gaze in them, but she was smiling a little, as if she had just had a revelation of her own and was sure she was right. If she was, she would be proud of her powers of deduction. "Are they not? I mean, not in the same way as what you're showing us, but... people die from too much, so they poison the body?"

OOCSorry, tis convoluted and stuff but showing Isalie has knowledge leaves Isolde open to asking them to go out together :)

Myrian | Common | Pavi
Hope Dawnwhisper
The only way is not to play.

Words: 127742
Joined roleplay: May 23rd, 2013, 2:32 pm
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Vanari on February 20th, 2014, 8:06 pm

Ninus Aurellius
Observation +5 XP
Interrogation +1 XP
Rhetoric +5 XP
Teaching +5 XP
Leadership +2 XP

Lores :
  • Cricet, Victor amongst Rats
  • A Dying Root from a Dead Girl
  • What Lessons?
  • Leading Unexpected Students
  • An Exposition on Rats
  • The Uses of Poison
  • Isolde, Ivandra, and Isalie: Nuit, Beggar, Healer
  • Isalie: Cherry
  • Isolde: Fungus
  • Isalie: A Former Slave

Isolde Seibold
Observation +5 XP
Philosophy +2 XP
Intelligence +3 XP
Rhetoric +1 XP
Interrogation +4 XP
Herbalism +2 XP
Poison +2 XP

Lores :
  • The Pressure of Doubts
  • Book: Poisons: Dandy and Deadly, an Overview
  • Toting Around a Whinnis Root
  • What a Huge Pet Rat!
  • Processing Curious Speech
  • Ivandra: A Fellow Student
  • Ninus Aurellius: Very, Very Fond of Rats
  • Isalie: Hates Rats
  • Ninus: Doesn't Like Knights
  • Taking a Liking to Ninus
  • Cherry Pits: Fevers, Charcoal and Oil
  • Foxglove: Induces Illness
  • Creating Warmth through Friction
  • Isalie: You Are Not Nothing!

Hope Dawnwhisper
Observation +5 XP
Intelligence +3 XP
Rhetoric +2 XP
Interrogation +2 XP
Philosophy +2 XP
Poison +1 XP
Storytelling +1 XP

Lores :
  • Craving Good Food
  • Observing a Curious Trio
  • Walking Through a Sea of Vermin
  • Butting Heads with a Beggar
  • A Decision to Follow the Rat Man
  • Ninus: A New Teacher?
  • My Poison: Cherry
  • Fire Doesn't Match with Fire
  • Grinding Cherry Pits
  • Isolde: A Nuit

Loot :
-3 gm per lady
+9 gm for Ninus

Notes :
Nicely done. Quick note Hope, try to stick to past tense third person. Also Ivandra, please update your ledger and I will happily post your grades!

Please don't hesitate to PM me with questions, comments, or concerns! Also, remember to either delete your grade request or edit it as "graded."

Cheers :D

A lonely heart is better than a bored one.

"Your Speech"
"My Speech"
"Vani"
Vanari
Vantha Vagrant

Words: 372424
Joined roleplay: July 29th, 2013, 12:20 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Previous