Closed Lectures and Lessons (Matthew)

A normal day of lecturing for Evalin turns into something a bit more interesting.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Lectures and Lessons (Matthew)

Postby Evalin on March 21st, 2014, 5:23 pm

8th of Winter, 511 AV

It was a familiar setting. Students backed the room in the large auditorium, eyes eager to lean, minds open to the possibilities. It was, perhaps, one of the few places Evalin found herself most comfortable. In front of a crowd of willing minds that wished to hear her speak, to listen to her thoughts and opinions. It was where she held the power to sway the future generations. it was intoxicating in its own right, and in a way it gave the nuit a sense of LIFE that nothing else really could.

Evalin stood at the front of the class, robes pressed and neat, cloak with hood pushed back, ornately decorated staff in hand as she looked out over all the faces before her, "Magic is that which has endless possibilities. It is something that is different for each and every person, for in every person there is a different view, a difference of mindsets, a difference in sights." She walked slowly in front of the pedestal, a bit of pleasure coming from the sounds of scratching quills as the masses struggled to take down her every word, "Some might say that a lecture such as this, which teaches the very basic concepts of magic, is pointless because no two people will comprehend the subject in exactly the same way. This young woman for instance," Evalin stepped forward, waving one hand at a girl on the front row who looked surprised and embarrassed to be pointed out of the crowd, "may see and understand my lessons and take it down a road far different than even myself, who is teaching her what she knows. And this man here," Evalin moved two desks down and rapt the head of her staff on the desk of a young man who was dozing while leaning on one hand. The sudden and loud sound that rattled his desk caused the boy to jump, falling from his seat and sitting up with a wild and surprised expression as he tried to understand what was going on, and was created by a chorus of laughter from the class, "This young man, despite my own efforts, will most likely take nothing away from this lecture at all and so HIS views on magic will be tragically skewed from anyone else's in this very room." Looking both embarrassed and a bit ashamed, the man slowly stood and returned to his seat, ducking his head to avoid looking at anyone else as he did.

Turning Evalin made her way back up to the front of the class, pushing back a strand of dark hair behind one ear as she looked over the students. She was certain this season to take a new and very fresh body before the classes began. Evalin knew that many were uncomfortable with the idea of nuits, so at the very least she felt that she should have the same face for at least one semester. The body was only about 5'6 feet tall, slim build with delicate features, and no rot was yet seen on the nuits well cared for body.

Wrapping her hands around the staff and leaning on it heavily, Evalin's red eyes raked over the gathered students, taking in each look, every face, before continuing, "Many of the ignorant and small minded call magic evil, the works or crazed individuals used to win favor, to twist mind and elements, and to cause destruction for one's own personal gain. I, however, counter that it is not magic itself that is inherently evil, but it is the one who casts it. Give magic to a thug and he will use it to pillage, rape and steal. Give it to a politician and he will use it to manipulate and deceive. Give magic to one who wishes to learn and understand, and it can become something so much more. Magic, in its base form, is understanding the world and one's self to the point that you can manipulate this thing called reality which we all perceives. What each of you perceives, however, completely depends on what you choose to accept." She allowed the room to fall to silence then, giving it a tick or three to let the lessons sink in before waving a hand, "Now begone with you all. Go home now and think of what YOU perceive magic to be, and consider if it is truly evil based on what your understanding is currently. Be prepared to discuss your thoughts next class."

The sounds of papers shuffling and bags moving filled the room as students began to leave, and with that Evalin walked back over to her podium, collecting her own things and beginning to store her notes in a bag of her own which sat on top of a desk pushed to the very back corner behind the pedestal.
ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Words: 1033971
Joined roleplay: March 20th, 2012, 4:05 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Zinrah Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Matthew on March 24th, 2014, 4:58 am

The University had a political structure. In his recent studies of politics (more a hobby than any actual class that required it), he had found that a lot of the concepts contained within the books could be applied to just about any sort of social structure. It could be applied to schools, businesses, even households. All of those things usually were part of an overall government, but each of them also held their own little sub-government of a sort. The University was the same. His mother was high on the social ladder of the University and this had sometime caused him to worry. It had caused students to whisper as well, to wonder if Matthew was entitled to certain benefits. So far though, his mother had done well in treating him as any other student. He made meetings with her, spoke formally to her, and she helped him as she would help any other student. Today she had offered some advice on how to cope with a recent problem he had encountered, and she offered it with the unbiased view of a professor... not with the view that his mother would no doubt share with him later at the dinner table.

So he found himself in Evalin's class, bright blue eyes watching her carefully, fingers moving a quill carefully and slowly over a piece of paper. He was ever the dilligent student, taking neat and effective notes, able to boil down her words to the absolutely key concepts that he would need to have on paper for later review. Most everything else could be shelved in his memory for later, accessible if the situation called for it. He did pause a moment to watch as Evalin handled the sleeping student, a bit impressed at his ability to sleep during class. Matthew understood that it was a disrespectful thing, but more importantly he wondered how exactly the person could sleep with all the noise around him. Matthew was the sort who couldn't sleep without absolute silence, and would wake up at any little noise.

Matthew returned his gaze to the Nuit professor, considering her briefly. It was interesting how the Nuit could take on a new body whenever they pleased, or at least that was how he understood it. He knew nothing of how they did it, he just knew it was possible. Was it even worth committing her physical features to memory? It was probably best to focus on mannerisms, as it was only those that carried over. Or was it? Perhaps a Nuit took on some of the mannerisms as the body that it possessed. No, mannerisms were seperate from a corpse. Weren't they? He'd have to ask her, at some point. No doubt she was tired of questions concerning her race, though. Perhaps he would just take a moment to go read it in the library.

Her eyes though, they were red. It wasn't the most common of colors. Would that exact shade follow her from body to body? He studied her gaze closely, his blue a sharp contrast to her red. He commited the sight to memory, just in case.

The class soon ended and Matthew rose with the rest of the students. His notes, quill and ink were carefully stored away in a small leather satchel, which was then slung over one slim shoulder. The pristinely-dressed student (fashioned to perfectly fit and kept completely spotless) waited for most of the students to leave before drifting over towards Evalin, watching as she started to pack upher own supplies. She was slow, precise. He remembered how she had leaned on the staff earlier. She didn't exactly look old, but she had leaned on it in a heavy way, exactly like an old man would use his staff for support. Perhaps it was a result of her actual age? He had to keep in mind that her body wasn't an exact sign of her age because of her race. Was she terribly ancient? How many things had the woman seen? The idea of theoretically eternal life enticed Matthew, but not to the point where he would considered the life of a Nuit. Not yet.

"Excuse me, Miss Evalin? I apologize if this is a bad time, and I can certainly come back later." His voice was soft but polite, each word carefully and properly pronounced. "I am Matthew." He purposefully left out his last name, though she may have known it anyways. It was no doubt on the class attendance list. If she extended a hand he would readily shake it, otherwise he would continue on. "I have a question, and I was recommended to talk to you. I recently learned a form of personal magic. One day I woke up, decided I wanted the knowledge, and then went and looked until I found the knowledge to do so." He paused, trying to figure out exactly how to speak his words, knowing that it related to her recent lesson quite well. "It was only later that I considered my actions. What are the consequences or implications of a person who casually decides it appropriate to manipulate reality? I find myself disturbed at my... impulsive and easygoing method at sating thirst for knowledge. Personal magic... scares me, to some degree." He blinked a few times, eyes burning a bright blue at her. He wasn't so sure if he had phrased that correctly. It wasn't often that the student felt very much though, and the fact that he did had caused him some level of concern. That is why he was here, discussing it with Evalin.

Matthew
Malfunctioning

Words: 1100152
Joined roleplay: June 24th, 2013, 9:37 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Guest Storyteller (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Evalin on March 24th, 2014, 4:35 pm

Evalin did not look up while she finished collecting her things, even as Matthew approached and introduced himself. She did not make as though to respond to his words, and only when all of her things were collected and neatly stored in her bag did she slowly straighten, hang the strap over one shoulder and lean on her staff with one eyebrow raised, "Children these days know not how to address their betters." she said, eyeing Matthew up and down, "If one wishes to speak then he should offer the chance for the other to invite the conversation. Wish I not to listen to cares and woes of a child that is little more than a babe who worries over that which is simply beyond his grasp."

Evalin waved a hand dismissively, turning to leave, "Fear is the poison of this world. It is the tool of manipulators, and the downfall of the mighty. Because you fear before you understand you will never gain control over anything." She shrugged as she looked over her shoulder, narrowing her eyes, "A fool is one who fears the unknown. The greater fool is he who fears himself. Speak to me when you master your fear. I have not the time to coddle or offer condolences to upstart whelps." with that she made her way to the door.

OOCForgive me! Eva is not the most pleasant person to speak with T.T
ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Matthew on March 24th, 2014, 8:03 pm

Matthew did have one thing going for him when it came to this whole concept of distant emotions. It wasn't very easy for him to get offended. It was near impossible, really. So when the Nuit began to shuffle away after spitting quite a nice multitude of harsh words, Matthew strode alongside of her without missing a beat. "Children? Ah, wait, because you are old. Very old, I assume. We are children to you. That makes sense." Apparently the student was the one to think out loud. His shined shoes clicked on the University floor as they walked, Matthew not at all uncomfortable making himself an unwelcome presence for the surly teacher. His blue eyes matched her narrow stare, his graceful step slowed to meet her odd little shuffle.

"I apologize for bothering you, then. It was not my intention." A polite apology was given, and then Matthew went right on with the task at hand. He was sorry apparently, but that didn't actually mean he was going to stop.

He took the time to mull over her words, thinking for a few moments as he sorted the sentences in his head. When he spoke he spoke slowly, carefully, putting thought into his response. "Isn't someone who is utterly fearless a danger as well? One would think it would require a balance. Not to be controlled by bravery or fear, but to instead walk the fine line. Fear is instinct, and one would think it can be useful if it isn't allowed to completely control." He gestured to himself, glancing in front of them to make sure he wasn't about to walk into anything, then back to her to continue staring into her endless red eyes. "So it is okay to pursue personal magic at a whim? It seemed so unlike me. I'd like to be able to pursue it at a steady, slow, calculating, logical pace. The scientific method, not the instinctive method. Is that possible to do with an art that is based on feeling? Do you have another class on your schedule, by the way?"

By the sound of the question, he was more than ready to follow her to wherever her next destination would be. Whatever he was, he certainly wasn't shy.

Matthew
Malfunctioning

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Evalin on March 27th, 2014, 1:23 am

What a nuisance...

He is quit persistent... Tsenrika agreed. Evalin reached up as she walked, carefully touching the icy gem that hung from her neck. She kept her eyes forward, refusing to meet the boy's gaze as she shuffled down the long hallways.

Evalin simply ignored the first comment about her age, as she had long since grown tired of explaining how, despite her appearance, she was far far older than any might guess. Often it grew even more complicated when she explained that she had been a professor here nearly 200 years ago, and even written one of the universities books on Summoning. More often than not it was simply easier to keep the subject of age out of any and all conversations.

At the half apology Evalin sneered, "Think I that I am a fool? Speak not unless you mean it. You are certainly not sorry, and this clearly was your intention from the start or you would have stopped following me at the door."

"You twist words spoken to you into complete and utter nonsense." Evalin said, stopping suddenly and looking at Matthew, "I see your tongue moving and lips flapping, but yet am I to hear anything of any consequence. Silly speculatinos, philosophical debates that mean nothing at all to you or to me. You trap yourself in a moral delima for no other reason to let yourself continue to circle round and round in uncertainty." She waved a hand and continued walking, "Such is what people do when they are afraid of the real answer, the answer they already realize they know. As I said speak not to me until you conquer this fear of yours to accept the answer you have already come up with."

She stopped again, poking Matthew in the chest and staring at him, "Through your babble and nonsense you already have your answer but you seek my approval. You fear that you cannot trust your own judgement for whatever reason. Begone with that fear, for that is the fear that restrains you. Come to your own decision. Do not seek my opinion." She then turned and started walking in the opposite direction, "Perhaps I do Matthew, but for my own sanity you will not be attending any more of my lectures. Begone now. Question yourself, and not me."

ImageImageImage

Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Matthew on March 27th, 2014, 10:17 pm

"No." He flatly corrected her first statement while also answering her rhetorical question. "I just think you misinterpreted my words incorrectly. While I am sorry that I may be a bother, that regret is not enough to overwhelm my curiosity." Something had changed about his voice. Flat wasn't exactly the word that could be best applied to it. It was now just words without any real tone behind them. His face remained passive as well, keeping any sort of anger or irritation from being read into his words. "Social pleasantries dictate that I apologize, so I entertained them. However, my desire to have my questions answered over-rides my desire to follow social norms. So. Once again, I do apologize. And once again, I will continue on." He most certainly wasn't mad or annoyed. He had just realized she wasn't the type to mince words. He would return the favor. It was the very least that he could do for her.

He continued striding alongside of her, apparently still not at all put off. "A moral dilemma? I would call it more of a personal dilemma. Good and evil are completely relative. You have your own views, obviously. We also have deities that define them. We also have people decide their own definition. No, I am not as much caught up in the morality of it all as I am caught up in the correct way to do things. I pursue knowledge and the correct way to aqcuire that knowledge. The safest, most effective. Not the right way. Perhaps my fear isn't of magic, but of learning things the wrong way. We only have so much time on this world. Time ticks and fate clicks into place... even for the Nuit and their ideally endless supply of vessels." He paused as she poked his chest, glancing down at the finger as it hit him. There wasn't a moment of warmth, not even for a second. Only complete cold. Then they were moving again, silence reigning for a split second save for the steady tapping of Evalin's staff. She had told him to go?

Pfft.

"I was not interested in following you to your lectures, merely interested in how long I could follow you without you finding some effective way of removing me. My desire for knowledge once again over-rides something, this time that something being your empty commands. What was the phrase? A tongue moving and lips flapping? I apologize for my rudeness, I do not mean for it to sound that way." Perhaps unfortunately for her, Matthew was actually enjoying her presence and her words. He didn't fault her for wanting to be rid of him, or fault her for speaking in the manner that she did. She was merely speaking what was on her mind. How did people find that offensive? It was a very nice thing to do, really.

"Have you never stopped to wonder if you were going about the most effective course for gaining knowledge that you were seeking? Did you ever worry about running out of time, or that it simply wasn't written in Lhex's design? I want to know everything there is. But no matter how brilliant I am, quite a few people scoff at the idea. There are just so many limits in place for... us."

Matthew
Malfunctioning

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Evalin on March 28th, 2014, 3:17 pm

OOCOK so taking a couple of liberties here, but still trying not to overdo it. Matthew has no idea but he hit on a very sore spot for Eva, and she cannot often help how she reacts in such cases. let me know if you want me to edit!

Evalin rolled her eyes as the boy kept talking. On and on he went, speaking this and that yet never quite getting to the point. A round about way of explaining things which need not to be explained. She continued to walk, quickening her pace slightly and with some annoyance noticing that he still followed after. She did not even look behind her as she said over her shoulder, "Up down, left or right. Depends on who you ask. One might say left is up and down is right, or one might claim evil is good and there is no evil at all. Silly questions circling round and round and round. So like another I knew. He spoke too often in twisting and confusing words simply for the sake of hearing his own voice. How clever he thought he was." She was already drifting to idle musings, beginning to block out Matthew and continue on her way. She would have, however, the boy as ignorant as he was of who he spoke to said those words which lit the fires of hatred deep in the chest of the Witch.

When she moved she lost all traces of her nuit shuffle, the sluggish pace that those of her race were known form. Her movements were faster than a normal man's, so fast it was almost a blur to the eye as she whipped around, cloak spinning about her as she grabbed Matthew by the collar and pushed him back with more strength than a nuit should rightly possess. Her face was a mask of fury, her red eyes glowing points the color of freshly split blood as she used her sudden burst of speed, strength and the sheer element of surprise to push Matthew back and into an empty classroom, slamming the door behind her as she did and turning enraged eyes upon the man.

"Ignorant fool!" She proclaimed stepping forward, her grip on her staff tightening as her cloak and robes began to flutter, the clear heat wave like res pouring out from every pour, "Stupid boy who speaks and prattles on without every truly saying anything. Know you not who I am? Know you not WHAT I am?" She hissed, reaching forward with one hand, fingers hooking into claws as she pushed her res forward, swirling around the man in twisting archs, portions transforming into air while pulling that which existed already into a tight vortex which pulled at his hair and caused his clothing to flutter, "I am she who was and forever will be. I am the Darkness between the stars who consumes the lights of this world. I am the all consuming flame which reduces all in her path to ash. I am the Witchling child of the north, the Spirit Fox of Taldera. I am the bringer of misfortune, the fall of the House Tenock. I am she who defies all that fate dictates. I am the Immortal Witch Evalin, Sorceress of Flame and Shadow!" As she spoke whips of fire stroke out and flared around Matthew. Res was already collecting at the ends of Evalin's hair and fringes of her robes, and with a his these to ignighted, letting the nuit look as though she walked bathed in coursing flames yet was not burned.

Her passion fueled the fires, hatred gave her strength as she gripped her staff with both hands, raising it high overhead and slamming the end down on the cold stones of the classroom. Fire leapt out from the tip, creating a large circle between Evalin and Matthew. Another circle was created within this circle, and 16 smaller circles drew themselves in scortch marks between these two lines. Four lines then connected four of the smaller circles to a singular point at the center and numbers etched themselves into the 16 circles around the rim. Then, striking her thumb against the sharp part of her staff Evalin let fall a drop of her own ichor, the white substance hitting the outer rim and causing the entire construction to glow. Then with the sounds of a cascading waterfall djed began to sparkle and flow from the outer edges, swirling round and around until the masses of twisting electric energy converged at the center where it suddenly dipped down into the floor, opening a portal to darkness beyond.

Evalin stared across the portal at Matthew, red eyes glaring even as the wind and fire kept up their dance, "I am the bridge between worlds, and my influence reaches far beyond this simply plain of existence. Care I NOT for what Lhex has planned for me, for his wishes are meaningless. I forge my own path despite what he may or may not wish. Care I not if my path be right or true, for it is the path that I chose." Through the portal Matthew ould be able to see the twinkling of stars beyond, and then looming into view was a planet of some kind, with large icy rings that sparkled like crystals in the light.

With a snap of her fingers the portal closed then, the sounds fading as the winds and fires dissipated and Evalin extended her hand, the excess res flowing back to her open palm as she walked closer to look at Matthew with narrow eyes, "Only the weak care to pay heed to what other think or believe. What is efficient as you say is subjective to you. My methods are perfect for myself for I have spend centuries in preparation and discovering my own way. Efficiency is a lie. There is no such thing. For one who is especially gifted what is efficient is to simply glance at the text and then perform it masterfully. For you, child, what is efficient might very well be to not practice magic at all. If you doubt yourself as you do, it will surely overcome your weak mind and soul and leave you nothing but a mass of ashes on the floor. Magic is for the great, and those who wish to change their fate. Not for those who are content to be idly lead by the collar by the truest evil in this world." She stepped back. adjusted her cloak and then once more turned to leave the room.

She paused at the door, however, and in her first true 'tearchly' way looked back at Matthew and said, "There are no limitations in this world but those that you place on yourself. Simple is it to break the chance of the body, yet far more difficult it is to free yourself from the chains of the mind." She tapped her forehead and then opened the door, leaving it open as if to invite Matthew to walk with her still.

OOCAgain let me know if I need to edit :)

ImageImageImage

Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Matthew on March 28th, 2014, 9:22 pm

"I hear my voice all the time. It isn't particularly pleasant or unpleasant." That was the first thing the young student addressed, and that was also the thing that proved he was certainly stupid in some ways. Her insults were now either being seen as valuable feedback or instead completely missed, perhaps increasing the annoyance of the situation as a whole. He was horrible at reading the mood, you might say.

Her sudden movements caught him off guard, Matthew taken aback into a classroom. Even if he had been aware, it wasn't as if he was exactly physically gifted in any sort of art thatcould have helped him in the situation. His mind went on full alert, and for a brief moment fear glittered in his normally apathetic blue eyes. Apparently there were some things strong enough to evoke the level of emotion that could display openly in his eyes.

It was soon replaced by wonder and curiosity, the most dominant of his few emotions over-riding everything else. Even if his words did not seem to take her earlier lessons to mind, apparently his soul somehow had. He stared, pulling his eyes away from her and watching with rapt attention as the world shifted around him. Air twisted and heat touched to his figure, her apparent rage forcefully materializing in the air. The circles that had suddenly started to draw itself was even more interesting, his eyes glittering as he focused on the shapes and sizes. Then the world opened before him, and before he knew it he was staring into something that resembled nothingness. No, not nothingness, wait. There was a world out there. How could he ever hope to conquer all the knowledges that this world had to offer, much less everything that was out there? As if in a trance he glanced up at her own red eyes and then back down the contrasting blue beneath him, his mind not making the logical jumps that would lead him to the conclusion that he was actually in danger. Instead he hesitantly reached out, fingertips spreading as he extended them towards the portal. "It is beautiful, isn't it?" That was his simple reply to her, though it wasn't meant to mock or disregard anything she said. He had no doubt that she was important, that her titles were titles that should be respected. But how could she claim importance when standing next to another world entirely?

Then there was nothing, the world was gone, everything was gone. He blinked and peered back up at her, a few other questions flooding his mind all of a sudden. She had moved like no other Nuit had before. Why was that? Or was his limited experience with the creatures an experience that hadn't yet encountered ones with speed? Then she was gone, or at least leaving, but with a silent invitation. He stood up quickly, mind slightly in a daze. Fear and confusion weren't really there anymore. What use would they be in the face of the unexplainable? Then again, why should he even be surprised? His own practiced art did things that didn't follow the laws of logic he leaned so heavily upon. He she had answered one of his questions. Magic was for the great, those who wished to change their fates. "Not for whims, then." He quietly mused to himself, following her. He certainly had noticed her opinion was a bit biased, to say the least. An opinion was still an opinion though, and it was still very new knowledge.

Out of all the questions that he could ask (and it was her own fault that there were now many), he instead asked a rather simple one. A rather different one. "Have you broke the chains that were surrounding your mind?" If the open door had been an invitation he had taken it. He was still walking alongside of her, though he did seem to have a bit of a distant look in his eye now.

Matthew
Malfunctioning

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Evalin on April 11th, 2014, 11:51 pm

Evalin pressed on down the hallway, once more resuming her slow shuffling walk, leaning on her staff more heavily than perhaps was necessary. She did not like to show her true capabilities, not unless the situation strictly called for it. It was not to her advantage for all the world to know of what she could do... Yet for this moment, perhaps, it was acceptable. After all the boy would be of no concern within another season, one way or another.

Evalin kept her eyes forward as she replied softly, "Ask not questions whose answer cannot be more obvious, otherwise you will get answers which are of no use at all." She looked sideways at Matthew, and then just as quickly away, "Learn you to ask the right questions, for limited shall your opportunities be to ask anything at all. There are few in this world that would answer at all, thus do I warn you to not let your ignorance steal from you opportunities that would otherwise present them self."

The approached an office then, and from her robes Evalin produced a key, unlocking the entrance and stepping through. Inside the room was almost completely barren save for a desk completely scattered with papers, and a single book, worn with age, entitled "Summoning: A Basic Guide to the Worlds".

Evalin walked around and sat behind her desk, resting her staff against the wall before pulling the papers and a quill closer, scribbling as she said distractedly, "I give you this opportunity then. You may ask three questions, and three only. I shall answer them, and then you shall depart from here. Be warned that this may be your only chance to speak with I about such topics as this, thus I advice you learn quickly what the RIGHT questions are." She dabbed her quill in the inkwell and looked up, "Or this precious moment shall be wasted." And she went back once more to her scribbling.
ImageImageImage

Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Matthew on April 26th, 2014, 2:45 am

The student moved alongside of her, watching as she hobbled. This confused him. She had shown strength and speed well above what seemed to be the norm. Why did she seem burdened now? Had she simply used a burst of energy and was now suffering the side effects?

He glanced around as they entered her office, eyes pausing on the messy desk for a few brief moments. He pondered the desk, wondering if it would be rude to attempt to organize the papers that she had scattered about. After a few moments he finally just sat himself down across from her, plopping himself into a chair if there was one or just right on the floor. If there was any dust or dirt on the location that he would plop himself onto, then he would definitely dispose of that first. He was the clean sort.

Three questions, hm? He pondered this. He pondered it for a few chimes. They were left with only the scratching of her quill against paper as he thought about it, trying to figure out exactly what sort of question he wanted answered. Was she suggesting she knew everything? Or was this some sort of test? The Nuit seemed to be one who would enjoy such tests. There was no reason to test him, though. He gazed at her steadily the entire time, incredibly light blue eyes unwavering in their focus. Did he want to be educated about magic? No, perhaps not. He wasn't as interested in the process behind actual spellcasting as he was the ideals surrounding it. Perhaps he liked to overthink things?

He wasn't sure. But, in the end, he came back to the question that had first sprang to mind whenever she had mentioned giving him three answers. Perhaps she would see it as another random question. His voice echoed out, polite and passive as ever. "How did the House of Tenock fall?"

Matthew
Malfunctioning

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
One Million Words! (1)