Location The Wave Guard Headquarters

The Wave Guard homebase in Zeltiva

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

The Wave Guard Headquarters

Postby Eldritch on January 3rd, 2014, 8:55 am

Overview

The Wave Guard have always been a presence in Zeltiva, either large or small in influence and thus they often need a place for general bookkeeping, training, or even just a place to banter with feel guardsmen. It is certainly no grand bastion but it serves its purpose well enough and possesses a number of facilities offered exclusively to the Guard and those training to be in the Guard. It is here that citizens can lodge reports of theft or various grievances, it is also here where criminals are held briefly before they are judged for their crimes.

History

Early in Zeltiva's history the Wave Guard were very much a volunteer organization, anyone that could hold a blade was welcome and organization was rather loose. While this still remains relatively true to this day, standards naturally increased overtime and a more basic form of organization was enforced upon the Guard. As such it became apparent that in order for it to possess structure they would require a place where they handled civic affairs.

With funding from the Sailor's Guild and the assistance of architects from the College of Applied Skills, the Guard established itself as a force all its own in the year 395 AV when the building was completed. From that day onwards additions and subtractions were made as need be, changing with the times much like the Guard itself. Regardless it remains to the day a sign of Zeltivan law and a place wherein the Wave Guard carries out the day to day duties of the enforcement of those laws.

Appearance and Locations of Interest

The building itself is a large three story structure carved of stone and built in a rather small fortress-like manner, possessing two large iron banded double doors to its entrance and a flat roof where Guards are occasionally stationed on the look out for trouble. It sits near the docks, overlooking Matthews Bay as almost a reminder to would be smugglers that Zeltiva is far from a lawless paradise. Actually stepping inside one will find that the entrance area far resembles a main office than anything else, with Guard officials behind desks as they take in reports from around the city.

Out behind the building proper is a small training yard set up with various dummies and training weapons. Often times one might see small groups of recruits running laps around the main building. Wave Guards are welcome to use the training yard, though practice sessions are irregular for most full members and usually only to keep their skills sharpened. Recruits are often seen here though, drilled under the watchful eyes of a sergeant.

There are five floors to the building itself, three above ground and two below ground and each one serves a different purpose. From top to bottom they are as follow:

The Officer's Floor: The Officer's floor lies at the top of the building at it is here that those ranked Lieutenant and The Captain of the Guard possess their offices. Every office is often individualized per individual with various creature comforts such as paintings and small bookcases being common. The Captain's Office itself is large thing approaching more of a full room than an office, indeed many Captains have been known to have beds placed in their for them to sleep in the office. Often it is adorned with their many accolades of office.

The Barracks Floor: Not so much a barracks proper per say as it would be impossible to house the entirety of the Guard on one floor, more of a general quarters area. There is a common room, a small mess with its own kitchen and chef at hand, and a sleeping area where Guardsmen can rest if they so desire as a home away from home. Few Guardsmen stay here for prolonged periods as many own their own homes. However ranked members of the Guard are well come to stay as long as they like.

Moderators Note :
PC Guardsmen who wish to can cash out their starting housing and potentially just stay at the Barracks. Note that PC's will still need to pay living expenses regardless. A PC wishing to do this MUST PM a storyteller to set it up.

The Ground Floor: This in the main floor that most non-Guardsmen will see, it is the place where most people approach the main desk to lodge reports and complaints. There are always at least four Guardsmen manning the desk and others still meeting with fellows before going out on patrol. It possesses a large backroom where records of various goings on are kept, but it is kept under very secure lock and key with only a few select members possessing access to it.

The Jail: The first of the basement floors house two main areas, the first being a Jailors office where prisoners are recorded or visits are requested. The second larger area is down a nearby hall, where six large cells house prisoners awaiting judgment and sentencing. Zeltivan law does not include imprisonment for its punishments, so this floor is more of a holding area than anything else. Once they have been judges prisoners are either charged with a fine, exiled from the city, or in more extreme cases taken to the lowest floor of the building.

The Execution Floor: Zeltiva prides itself on being an enlightened city, however there are occasions where sometimes a person commits crimes so high that they cannot be overlooked. However the city prefers to avoid making a spectacle of such things, so thus this floor exists to provide and out of the way and quiet means of disposing of those deemed worthy of execution. It is really just one single large room with a chopping block and restraints in the middle. All executions are done via decapitation, as this is viewed as the quickest and most painless form.

NPC's :

Lieutenant William Severik

Race: Human

Languages: Common

Intelligence: 76

Investigation: 62

Shordsword: 53

Unarmed Combat: 32

Leadership: 32

Appearance: Lt. Severik stands at an average height if 5'9" and that word describes him best in that he is average in almost every appearance. He stands in the middle, looking unremarkable in almost every respect and is easily overlooked in a crowd. His dark eyes possess a certain analytical way of looking at those around him, as though he is searching for information in every word or expression. His black hair is cut short and its rare to see him in his office without his uniform, always looking crisp and clean.

Concept: Severik didn't join the guard because he wanted to volunteer or because he felt it was his civic duty, no he joined the Wave Guard because of blood. The Severik family is one of the few families that can claim trace their ancestry to the original Wave Guards and every generation since then has served. William Severik walked into the Guard with the world expected of him and he didn't disappoint.

From the beginning he displayed an aptitude for finding out where smugglers were, what den criminals were hiding in and used his mind rather than his weapon to catch them. Those under his command are often sent out to observe and investigate, to place their ears to the ground and listen. Information is his business and it has served the Guard well for all of his tenure, seeing him raised to the ranks of the Officers.

The man himself is very cordial and well spoken, the perfect image of both an officer and a gentleman. He is considered rather fatherly to his men, and is often seen wandering about the Headquarters and checking in on affairs. He is very dutiful and considers the Guard and Zeltivan security to be of paramount importance. A loyal citizen need never fear his scrutiny but a criminal should always be wary of attracting his notice.

Sergeant Roric Kelvin

Languages: Common

Organization: 53

Writing: 43

Longsword: 32

Unarmed Combat: 15

Leadership: 15

Appearance: Roric is a young and rather handsome man, standing at about 5'10" and certainly not possessing the look of a Guardsman. He looks rather scholarly and physically unimposing, often sitting with an easy slouch and having a kind and indulgent smile on his face. His blonde hair is kept at regulation length and his face is clean shaven at all times.

Concept: Roric actually was once a University student, a fact that many in the guard often tease him over but he takes it in stride. He joined up with the Guard when he felt he owed a debt to his city and volunteered for training. He was never the finest with a blade or in combat and his trial had been somewhat shaky, but where he did excel was in organization and handling the people who came in day and night to lodge complaints at the main desk.

He can usually be seen at his post behind the main desk on the ground floor, in charge of making certain that everything goes smoothly and that concerns are answered. His men note that he is a rather soft spoken man, though he is known for joking up in the common area up stairs. He's a common enough fixture that he knows most common visitors to the Headquarters by name, as well as most every Guardsman.

The Ground Floor is a free location to all and requires no approval for RP and NPC's there can be self modded. Upper and lower floors are only accessible to PC Guardsmen, unless there are special circumstances.
Eldritch
Do you feel your sanity begin to fray?

Words: 237808
Joined roleplay: July 4th, 2013, 3:05 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Voss on January 3rd, 2014, 4:17 pm

Voss walked through the doors of the waveguard HQ. Back straight, he tried to hide his nerves, he was young, short and had worked his entire life on a fishing vessel, he didn't know anything except sailing that could be of use to the waveguard. Would they send him away, not wanting to train a young person like him? Would they mock him? He shook those thoughts out of his head, hankering for a bit of a drink to ease his nerves.

He walked up to the closest desk, the waveguard manning it gave him a disintrested look, most likely already steeling himself for the complaints that would no doubt be coming from a young sailor like him.
“I'm Voss Rybaki. I want to join up with the guard who do I need to talk to for that?”
Last edited by Voss on January 9th, 2014, 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Voss
Player

Words: 30285
Joined roleplay: November 25th, 2013, 5:34 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Eldritch on January 9th, 2014, 12:24 am

OOCI swear, Mirage is right. I love your writing, but then I see a name not capitalized and then I want to squeeze you until your head explodes! :((

The guardsman at the desk actually seemed to brighten up at the request, clearly it was a rare treat among the guard when a new comrade attempted to join. He would tell Voss to wait for a moment and then go to get a scholarly looking gentleman, the duel cresting wave pin on his coat marking him as a Sargent in the guard. He would extend his hand for Voss to take and shake.

"I've just been informed you wish to join the guard, lovely! Would you mind signing a few documents? Once that is out of the ways you will be allowed to begin training." The man said, producing a few pieces of parchment and sliding them forward, providing an inkwell and quill as well.

Name:
Weight:
Educational Background:
Work Background:
Combat Experience:
Eldritch

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Voss on January 9th, 2014, 3:22 pm

No mockery, no doubts cast on him. Voss was pleasantly surprised when the man brightened up when he wanted to join and not complain to them. Voss eagerly shook the scholar's hand when it was offered to him.

"Sure, not a problem." He took the offered form and quickly filled it in with a sloppy and scratchy, but still legible handwriting. Obviously it had been a while since this kid had a quill in his hands.

Name: Voss Rybaki
Height: 5 feet and three or two inches
Weight: no clue
Educational Background: I learned the trade by doing.
Work Background: Sailor on fishing vessel for two years
Combat Experience: nothing really

He handed the form back to the scholar. "Hope you can read it. My handwriting is pretty horrible." The young sailor said with a nervous laugh.

oocNo head squeezy! Please don't T__T
Voss
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Eldritch on January 15th, 2014, 8:41 pm

The man would take the document and look it over, his expert eyes far past used to reading poor hand writing. He nodded here or there and produced an insignia with the symbol of a cresting wave upon it, pressing it into the corner of the document. He then filed it away under the desk before regarding Voss again with another smile, pleased by this whole affair obviously.

"Rare that we get so young a recruit, but I think you'll do just fine. I'll make sure this makes it onto the Captain's desk. Meanwhile everything should be all set. Return here tomorrow morning and report to the training yard, they will get you all settled in." He said, nodding to Voss.

With that it was a done deal, simple and with no strings attached. If Voss had any further questions then the man would answer then, if not then the young sailor was free to go.
Eldritch

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Voss on January 15th, 2014, 8:54 pm

Voss was exited and he couldn't keep a wide smile of his face. "Tomorrow morning at the training yard. Yeah I can do that." Everything would get settled and tomorrow would be his first day on a new life. "Well, me mum always said I wasn't a usual fellow." voss said with a laugh. He didn't have anymore questions at the moment, he didn't have a doubt that any questions of his would be answered during training anyway.

He let the man to his job and left the building. Maybe cracking open a bottle in celebration wouldn't be a bad idea.
Voss
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Pulren Marsh on April 4th, 2014, 4:49 pm

Image2nd of Spring, 514 AV
Thirteenth Bell

It was a short jaunt from the Temple of Laviku over to the Headquarters of the Wave Guard. Every hair, pore and drop of blood in Pulren's body tingled with the excitement of this day. He had dreamed for so many years, watching the recruits swim out and prove themselves worthy. It is what made him practice swimming in currents and tides. Now he was climbing the hill to the bastion of Zeltiva's defenders.

Once he entered, he approached the desk and went blank. It took him a moment to compose himself before speaking to the man at the desk. "Hello, I am Pulren Marsh. I have come to join up and train to be a Guardsman." The words that he had practiced to himself as Pal had droned on drunkenly had finally left his lips like the tide, moving out into the ocean of possibility.
Last edited by Pulren Marsh on May 28th, 2014, 5:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Words: 503518
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2014, 3:33 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Eldritch on April 9th, 2014, 8:09 pm

The guardsman at the desk was a scholarly looking gentleman and the pin upon his coat marked his as a Sergeant in rank, though clearly his job was less combat oriented. He looked up at Pulren as he approached the desk, half moon spectacles adorning his face and gleaming lightly as the light reflected off of them. A genial smile crossed his face as Pulren made his request, a new recruit looking to join the Wave Guard was always a welcome sight. A new potential brother in arms, and this one looked rather excited by the prospect of joining.

"A new recruit? Excellent! Its always a joy to see more Zeltivan citizens pitching in to do their part for the city. I'll need you to sign a few things, but once that is out of the way you will be free to begin your training." The man said, producing a document and sliding it across the desk.

Name:
Weight:
Educational Background:
Work Background:
Combat Experience:
Eldritch

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Pulren Marsh on April 10th, 2014, 2:08 am

Pulren breathed a sigh of relief, his nerves relaxing, once the initial words had left his lips. He thought it confusing for a moment when the man mentioned pitching in, his words responding rather than thoughts. "I believe it to be duty to aid Zeltiva. She feeds us and shelters us when Laviku is angered. Why would we not do all we can for her?" He smiled and took the documents, looking over them. Writing was not his strong suit, as Pal had never needed much of it. He could make legible marks, though, however scratchy.

As he filled in the form, he could hear the recruits taining somewhere nearby and his enthusiasm returned.

Name: Pulren Marsh
Height: Around six feet.
Weight: Never weighed. More than ten cod, less than a whale.
Educational Background: My education has been one of the sea, fishing with my Uncle Pal. No formal training.
Work Background: Same as above, born a fisherman of Zeltiva. He died this past winter and I wish to train with the Guard now for Zeltiva and Laviku.

Pulren looked at the paper for a moment, replacing the quill in its place. " I probably didn't fill this out right, but it says what I want it to say." Placing the paper before the officer, Pulren waited, straightening his posture. He felt a little dumb, but a question fell out of his mouth like bait from a bag. " Is it fair for a recruit to study at the University? I could probably use some polishing. I want to be the best I can be, Sir." He tried to shut up after that and listen.
Last edited by Pulren Marsh on May 28th, 2014, 5:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Words: 503518
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2014, 3:33 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Eldritch on May 2nd, 2014, 10:01 pm

The man was silent as Pulren filled out the form; patience was likely a prerequisite of working the front desk of the Wave Guard headquarters. Once the form was filled out the man pushed up his spectacles and looked over the relevant information as he nodded to himself. Everything seemed to be in order enough so the man took the paper back and placed it behind the desk, offering his hand to Pulren for a shake with a smile.

“Everything seems to be in order, Pulren. Welcome to the Guard, you’ll be expected on the morrow to begin your physical training. As for the University, its irregular but a number of guards in the past have studied at the University along with their duties. It’s very possible, no restrictions there.” The man said.
Eldritch

Office
Scrapbook

Next