Closed An Unintended Audiance (Lani)

Turais unexpectedly teaches someone something.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

An Unintended Audiance (Lani)

Postby Turais on April 22nd, 2014, 3:23 pm

Turais stopped speaking for the moment, his eyes still locked on her, but it was as if he was looking at something other than her. Like he was staring at something around her and she was invisible. He could feel the fluctuation of her emotions like fluctuation in temperature. The more nervous or worried she got the more cold he could feel coming off of her. Eventually he closed his eyes and set his hands flat on the desk, fingertips spread. The curiosity she began to feel felt like a lick of heat from a dying fire in a cold, stone room.

As she began trying to force her emotions he gave a visible shiver, and his fingers twitched. He chuckled softly as the feelings changed into something indescribable. Deep down he could feel a warmness that rarely came out but on the outside there was a cold fire that she wrapped herself in like a blanket, keeping the real her inside hidden. He guessed it was because of the incident with her 'mother' and the way she tried to kill Lani. That must have been a terrible experience.

Before Turais could delve any deeper he opened his eyes and his hands quickly curled into fists. His head was beginning to throb. It was like trying to run five miles after sleeping all day and not stretching at all. The muscles would cramp, and his Djed was cramping. She shook his head and lifted a hand to rub his brow. ""What are you doing? How do you read me? Are you reading my thoughts? You really shouldn't do that."" He chuckled again and looked at her with his normal, soft gaze again. His focus gone and her aura fading away from his senses.

"No I cannot read your mind, just your aura, and for me that means pretty much all I can sense is your basic emotions at that exact moment and maybe deeper things if I know more about you." He explained before sliding his hand down his face and cradling his chin. "I didn't feel anything interesting, don't worry. Any secrets you may have been worried about me feeling were too far out of my reach, even if I'd wanted to know." He gave her a smile, as if to assure he he was joking and was not trying to dig any secrets out of her.

"All I could feel was the fluctuation of your emotions, the worry and nervousness was like a cold breeze and your curiosity felt like a warmth from a low fire." He paused and decided he could try to show her how to channel the Djed into reading Auras. He cleared his throat and scratched his chin in thought before he spoke again. "To see, feel or whatever the auras of those around you, you have to really concentrate. I learned how by... reaching out with my Djed, I just thought about lifting an invisible set of hands and feeling the air around me. You could try that, or maybe close your eyes and imagine opening a different set of eyes... Everyone has Djed and the hardest part of learning any kind of magic is learning how your Djed feels and manifests. With Shielding I feel my Djed seep from my fingertips like a thick fog. I kind of use that same feeling to try to feel peoples Auras, if that makes sense?"

Turais' Common
Turais' Shiber
Your Speech
NPC Speech
Turais
Player

Words: 23754
Joined roleplay: April 9th, 2014, 3:59 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Lani Stranger on April 25th, 2014, 12:59 am

Lani's eyebrows scrunched together when Turias seemed to falter. It was clear he had done something and finished, but the effect it had on him was odd. Lani straightened her back, wary of what could possibly go wrong. Not offering a hand or a kind words, Lani sat tense, adrenaline already pushing through her joints, ready to run if she needed to. Turias' fists clenched and Lani gripped her chair, feeling her heart in her ears. She was beginning to get too wary of this. He calmed down soon, but Lani didn't. Still held by a ridged back, Lani watched the horned man while he talked, not one word of verbal recognition for what had happened. He reassured her that he wasn't reading through her secrets, which would normally pull a playful response from Lani, but she stayed silent, loosening her white knuckles from the chair. Her knees were tingling, the lactic acid that was released through them in her panic was not going to be used, and gave her a relaxed rubbery feeling. Forcing herself to relax, Lani tried to listen to Turias, obviously there was not further signs of how his magic use had affected him, he wasn't going to hurt her. She was putting a lot of trust in this stranger.

"To see, feel or whatever the auras of those around you, you have to really concentrate. I learned how by... reaching out with my Djed," Lani had snapped into her learning state of mind, her shoulders beginning to slump back into her resting position. With a relaxed face and open ears, Lani ate the information her gave her like a starving child. "Everyone has Djed and the hardest part of learning any kind of magic is learning how your Djed feels and manifests." Lani listened to his own way of doing it. As if that would help me. Lani thought sarcastically, but decided against saying anything. He hadn't scared her, she had scared herself. Turias was trying to teach her, despite her constant questions. And honestly it did seem to make sense. Lani stared at him for a moment, letting her spine relax and trying to process what exactly she would do. Throwing her neck to the left and then quickly twisting it to the right, five or six satisfying pops resonated down her spine. It was somewhat a shocking sound, but the action helped her prepare to concentrate on something, a bad comfort habit. Lani decided she would have to take a chance. She had no idea what she was doing but imagined it would take rather large amount of concentration. Lani zoned out the world around her. Caught up in her need to try this, she forgot about Turias, and engaging in conversation with him. She tried to imagine her Djed, maybe if she could make a mental formation of it, she could figure out how to use it, like Turias had instructed. Lani squinted her eyes, tried to force something, anything to happen. Nothing did. Her mind couldn't seem to wrap around the concept. Different forms appeared in her mind. One second she was thinking of a metallic block resting in her stomach, and the next she was thinking of a misty grey liquid seeping out of her ears. Lani's hand flew to her ear, flinching and batting the hair beside it for a second.

Lani's eyes snapped to Turais' horns, and she quickly lost whatever concentration she had been clinging too. Sighing, she looked at Turias curiously for a second. "You make it seem so easy. I can tell its not ... " Lani dropped her hand again, staring at the palm of it for a second. Her finger tips had always been the most sensitive part of her. She didn't know why. They should be harder and less used to all the different textures and temperatures, she used them so much. She had seem most people's hands, who have worked less than her, were calloused and not sensitive like hers. Lani always assumed it was just the fact that she didn't do much craftwork, but she climbed often, and used her hands quite frequently. "I know I have to use my own Djed, but am I reading yours? Can I touch you?"

The last question was odd, but an idea was floating through her brain. If she couldn't focus on a mental image of her Djed, maybe she could try something else. Maybe she could focus it through her finger tips, like Turias said he did. But she wasn't putting anything into him, she was just trying to read his aura, right? Lani reached across the distance between their chairs, lightly placing the tips of her fingers on his forearm, not waiting for his answer. It didn't occur to her to wait for his permission, she was more caught up in testing out her idea.

Lani tried not to imagine an image this time, she tried to imagine a feeling. As if it was something she was pushing through her veins to her fingers. Lani let her eyes wonder over Turias, finally landing on his. The pure black orbs latched onto his light colored irises, as if she could focus on more than one thing. Rather, it was a place for her to zone out while she concentrated. Again, her eyebrows pushed together, and she felt one of the oddest sensations in her fingers. Then she could see. It was almost as if a whole other sense was opened to her. The man before her seemed to fill with light. A bubbling sensation filled her. It was neither soft nor overbearing, but it was just him. Lani couldn't compare the sense to anything familiar, but it seemed as if she could feel him. A somber longing underlined a positive personality. It all came quickly to Lani, the sense was hazy, like reading a book in another language. The sense flashed before her, too short for her to really process the feeling into rational thoughts for herself. But as quickly as she saw it, it was gone.

Lani's eyebrows shot up and her mouth popped open. Hissing she retracted her hand, cradling it in her other one. A tingling sensation floated up through her fingertips all the way to her wrist and she looked down on her digits in concern. She couldn't feel them. She couldn't feel a thing. As quickly as she realized this, her eyes couldn't focus properly. They were shaking between different objects, faster than she would have normal been able to. It was as if the muscles in her eyes were seizing while her hand lost all feeling. She squeezed her eyes shut, her hand still cradles in the other. When she felt they had calmed, leaving her with a nasty throbbing gin her temples, she opened them, a grin on her face. "I think I did it! You are so bright!" She whispered as if someone had just punched her in the ribs. Excitement filled her voice, her grin threatening to split her face in two as she let out a breathy laugh. "Oh wow. That hurt."

PC/NPC Talking -- Common -- Kontinese -- Thoughts
Last edited by Lani Stranger on April 27th, 2014, 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lani Stranger
Wanderer

Words: 697231
Joined roleplay: March 21st, 2014, 11:48 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Turais on April 25th, 2014, 4:54 pm

OOCThat was pretty good in my opinion! I like the description and after effects. I am new to the magic thing though, too.

Her tense appearance did not seem to phase him. He tried to just reassure he he was not about to go psychotic and kill her through his slow motions and soft words. He dropped his hand from his chin, though he felt tired now from that use of his fledgling magical ability. It was almost as tiresome as trying to practice Shielding. Slowly though, his demeanor relaxed as much as it could, and hers began to as well. She seemed to perk up as he began trying to explain Djed to her.

"You make it seem so easy. I can tell its not ... " He offered a kind smile. He had been practicing for a long time and he was still very much a novice. Before he could say something else to encourage her she spoke up again, "Can I touch you?" This question was not one he was asked often, not when it came to magic related things anyways. Sure he had the occasional child ask to touch his horns, or his face, be held up on his shoulders to see from his great height, but to touch him to read his aura? A half smile tugged at his lips, but before he could say one way or another her fingers touched his arm. He felt the spot where she touched him tingle momentarily and then silence. Their eyes met, but it was hard to tell with all the black if she was actually looking at him, or through him. He shifted uncomfortably and tried to just relax and not overwhelm her with his emotions if she did manage to make a connection to his Aura.

Her facial expression in that single instant told him she had indeed felt his aura. As she hissed and retracted her hand he moved to stand and kneel down beside her as she sat, a look of concern on his features for the girl as she seemed to have been overwhelmed. "I think I did it! You are so bright!" He gave a small smile and couldn't help but chuckle. "Are you alright? Do you need me to go rummaging for some ice, or water maybe?" He asked as he stayed back enough to not make her feel uncomfortable, he was hovering a bit he realized. "I always get hungry after I do that in my mortal seeming, do you want to grab a bite? It might help..." He suggested, knowing she likely had a headache from the surge of brand new sensations. In a way he was pleased he had taught her, even if his advice had been somewhat unhelpful and she had figured it out on her own. More than that though, he was curious to know exactly what she saw or felt. Brightness? Well, he felt that was a give-in, he was an Ethaefal of Syna, he expected to be brighter than say, a human with no religious affiliations.

Turais' Common
Turais' Shiber
Your Speech
NPC Speech
Turais
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Lani Stranger on April 27th, 2014, 2:19 am

Turias didn't waste time reacting. Obviously the man was more concerned for her than she had been for him. Whereas she had frozen up and not offered one word or even look of concern, he was immediately at her side. Lani didn't have the time to think about it or think about whether it made her a bad person, he was already speaking, and her mind was already spinning. "Are you alright? Do you need me to go rummaging for some ice, or water maybe?" He paused, leaning back form her some. Lani hadn't paid much attention to where he was but as soon as he adjusted his position, she was acutely aware of the man's proximity to her. Lani adjusted herself, sliding her leg over the chair so that she could face Turias. "I always get hungry after I do that in my mortal seeming, do you want to grab a bite? It might help..."

"No, not at all, I'm fine. But food actually sounds like a good idea." Lani let her eyes drift for a second, her head in her thoughts and a giddy smile on her face. She did actually have a throbbing headache, and wanted water and something in her stomach more than anything right now. The reaction her eyes from to messing with her Djed like that had worried her some, but she had done it! Hadn't she? She had done something! Lani grinned at him, but looked down at her left hand. Using the fingers of her right hand, she wiggled the fingers of her left hand. The sensation was strange ... because there wasn't one. There was no feeling in her hand, nothing at all. The weight of the limb still wore on her wrist, but she could not feel the flesh of her other hand of the soft fabric of her shirt that it rested against. She had no control over it, the whole scenario was odd. Lani looked up at Turias, thinking she would worry about whatever happened later. It wasn't long before Lani spit her next question out, she never seemed to lack in her inquiry. She briefly wondered if it bothered Turias, but decided that if he minded, he ought to tell her. Until she was told to shutup, she would continue to ask questions.

"'Your mortal?' Do you mean ... May I ask what exactly are you? I don't want to be rude, I understand the constant badgering questions that you might get." Lani rolled her eyes, the action unnoticed, lost in the two black holes that were incapable of showing the emotions she felt. Where her eyes could not speak, her mouth and brows did, which gave off the effect of heightened emotions and expressions. Her nose wrinkled and a single side of her mouth curled up, in a playful and insincere form of disgust. "The human's ask too many questions." Lani hopped into a standing position at her hypocritical joke and self-teasing tone. A new beat infected her step, she had learned something new! Even though the effect had not been pleasant, she would continue to work on it. With long strides, Lani reached the door, swooping down to pick up her shoes with her right hand. The clear misuse of her left hand bothered her some, but she wasn't going to show it, it could wear off in a few hours. She stopped, turning back to the empty classroom to face Turias. Lani tucked the shoes into the crook of her left elbow, and let her right hand rest on the half-open door. Waiting for Turias to gather his papers, she took another look at his horns. The pastel green and purple that shimmered from the bone structure were captivating, she had never seen anything like it. What was their use? By the way of their shape, they were obviously not useful in a fight, had he needed to fight like an animal in the first place. Lani had just taken little time to notice them in the single bell she had spent with the man. "To the mess hall? I want to know about what exactly you are, Turias."

Lani Stranger
Wanderer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Turais on April 28th, 2014, 3:05 pm

14th of Spring, 514 AV

He offered an awkward half smile as she told him food sounded like a good idea. The expression on her face had him slightly worried, as did her glances to her hand. HE hoped she had not hurt herself from that and began worrying a bit about if he should have even tried to encourage her to try out Auristics. Maybe only professions taught magic for a reason. He wasn't even that skilled himself-- just a novice, far from a competent teacher.

His attention snapped back at her questions now though, "May I ask what exactly are you? I don't want to be rude, I understand the constant badgering questions that you might get." She then rolled her eyes, or he thought she did. It was hard to tell exactly where her eyes moved with them being completely black all the way through. He just assumed based on the way her mouth and eyebrows moved that she had rolled her eyes. He gave a half smile, and didn't seem too offended by her question, realizing she must have been asked that same thing all the time too.

"Well, I'm an Ethaefal.. ever heard of it?" He began slowly standing to his feet and offering her a hand to help her up, though he didn't really seem to think she could accept it, already having formed the opinion she was the type to refuse help most of the time. And he was correct for the assumption as she jumped to her feet and walked briskly to the door, swinging it wide open and waiting for him to catch up. He chuckled as he scooped his papers and books into his bag and made his way after her.

"Well, Ethaefal are the... disciples are the best term for this I guess, of Syna, the Goddess of the Sun, or Leth, the God of the Moon. I follow Syna, byt he way. I'm technically immortal, but I can still get sick, and die from an infection, or even a well aimed stab... Just not old age." He furrowed his brow for a moment. "During the day, I look like this, the form I took after I died the very last time and came to the Ukalas to be with my Goddess. But at night when Syna isn't shining I take on my Mortal Seeming. I guess it's the last mortal form I was. In this case I become a human man. It's a far less impressive form than this, much shorter and darker looking." He smirked slightly. He remembered the faces of a few woman during his 114 years who had been enthralled with him until they saw his night form. He personally did not see too much wrong with the form, but then again, he did not quite understand what it was woman liked to begin with. And frankly, he was not even sure he cared what women, or men, found attractive.

Turais' Common
Turais' Shiber
Your Speech
NPC Speech
Turais
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Lani Stranger on May 4th, 2014, 1:49 pm

"I'm technically immortal, but I can still get sick, and die from an infection, or even a well aimed stab... Just not old age." Lani had been interested in what he was. It explained to her why he almost burned her, he wasn't mortal. He wasn't a God, but Lani began to wonder what it would be like to read a regular mortal, or a human. The thought of stressing out her newly found Djed anymore than she just did made her stomach roll, followed by a very audible growl. She had eaten breakfast, but she "But at night when Syna isn't shining I take on my Mortal Seeming. I guess it's the last mortal form I was. In this case I become a human man." Lani turned her head as they walked, her mouth parting in her dismay. He changed forms? How? She tried to imagine the tall man beside her as an average human. Dark hair and dark eyes, maybe a smudge of dirt on his hands or some form of facial hair. She looked down at her own feet, an amused grin taking over her surprise. Out of habit she swung her arms forward, intending to take the boots from her right hand to her left. The all too real fact that she didn't have a left hand, or control of one at least, was very apparent when her fingers smashed into the boots with a silent thimp. Embarrassment flooded her cheeks and she let her hands drop to her sides again, she was going to need to get used to this new hole in her everyday life ... however long it was going to last.

"Huh. I'd like to see that." She directed her comment towards his tale of a shifting body. Seeing as it was only mid afternoon, she wouldn't likely see it today. She couldn't grasp staying with a stranger for hours, simply waiting until sundown. Maybe ... The two seemed to be getting along well in Lani's opinion, she wouldn't mind sticking around talking to Turias. Lani put the thoughts out of her mind, deciding not to dwell on it as they neared the cafeteria. The mixed blood's immediate reaction was to wing the door wide open, seeing as she was the one closest to it, but she couldn't. One hand didn't work and the other was occupied by her boots, leaving her unable to do so. Slowing her steps, she decided to let Turias grab it. The idea of having others do things for her, was foreign. Since she was nine she basically fended for herself, instead of people to look after her, she had people to look after and her own back to watch. The result was the headstrong teenager who didn't quite understand the civil manors of society or the common habit of caring for others.

The silence that the two set into as they weaved through the tables towards the meal line, seemed comfortable to Lani. Awkward wasn't a word in her vocabulary. As the two reached the line, Lani turned her head to the side she peered under her bangs at Turias. She didn't know of anything else to ask him. Her questions and his answers had been the base of their conversation thus far, and she was coming up with none. Her mind was focused on the warm plate of food she was about to get. Pulling her coin purse out of her pocket, Lani pulled out a few mizas. Her black eyes shifted to Turias' face and then his pockets. She hoped he had brought money to pay for his meal. Her voice was soft, a polite tone dancing between her words. A small different from the playful friendly attitude she had taken on all afternoon. The almost noticeable difference was that now she was distracted. Her stomach protested violently against its sudden emptiness and her saliva gathered, tempted the savory fumes of the meals. "You gonna eat?"

Lani Stranger
Wanderer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ssezzkero on October 8th, 2018, 4:57 pm

Lani
+2 Observation, +1 Investigation, +1 Storytelling, +3 Socialization, +1 Meditation, +1 Auristics, University of Zeltiva: Layout, The effects of overgiving, Magic: Auristics, Race: Ethaefal, Magic: Dangerous

TURIAS
Message me when you return.
Ssezzkero
Player

Words: 249053
Joined roleplay: July 24th, 2014, 4:14 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1)

Previous