[Spirit/Abstract's Scrapbook]Musings of a muser...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Abstract on April 28th, 2014, 5:47 pm

And I'm back! I've been in New York since Tuesday, and am finally back... almost at full activity. I have a number of tests and projects this week, so my Mizahar time will be more limited >.>

We had an amusing time, being late to about... everything. Including a NY Philharmonics show. And performances of our own.

*cough*

I blame traffic.

We learned a few things, including that a lot of people don't know our Prime Minister, Americans don't have vinegar on their fries, falling asleep during a concert is a compliment, and (personally) never forget your instrument mouth piece. Ever.

(Whoops)

I was going to pop in last night, but we didn't end up getting back till about 10... so I just went to sleep... the bus ride had been about 13 hours after all, and... gah.

Abstract
In a roundabout way... everything is me

Words: 382975
Joined roleplay: June 5th, 2013, 4:06 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (2)

Postby Nemesis on April 28th, 2014, 6:13 pm

Yay!

I missed plotting with you! (disclaimer: Abstract and I don't plot, we plan... >.>)
Seems like you had an exciting trip o.O and having vinegar on chips is one of the biggest sins man can commit. Just salt, please. And I'm allowed to say that, living a street behind one of the UK's best Fish & Chip shops for some recent year... :P

I feel I must educate you people across the pond... as well as most of the inhabitants of my own country... <.<

Nemesis
Fortune and Retribution

Words: 296717
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2014, 8:36 pm
Office
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Donor (1)

Postby Radiant on April 28th, 2014, 6:14 pm

Welcome back, Abby! :D

We missed you, so so much! *Snuggles* Ravok needs your Chaotically Abstract influence now. ^.^

Also, :paranoid: I invaded Ravok's OOC thread with a post after Daegron summoned Sylirans, just sayin...

P.S: The "^.^" emoticon is really contagious... blame a certain Sahovan DS.
Radiant
Sailor Radiant

Words: 781936
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2013, 1:39 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Abstract on May 8th, 2014, 10:24 pm

A Long Post about Many Things

Hm... it seems I forgot to thank you for the welcomes back. Thanks! It's appreciated ^-^

I thought I'd write up something I did mentally, last night. I like writing scrap book posts in my head. It's soothing, and a nice way to organize thoughts and things. None of them have actually made it here, in any kind of a full form. I have one half-written somewhere, but it's long forgotten.

I'm at an annoying point right now, where... I need to write a post for a thread I've been putting off, so I'm forcing myself to do that first. And when I sit down and try and write it, something doesn't work, or I simply don't feel like it. So I've been putting everything off v.v I'm also putting off grading normal threads, as I've promised a player I'll add their grade to a monster thread... and... well... it's long :|

But I haven't come here to moan. Those were more excuses I shoved up here if anyone felt like reading them. Which you aren't obliged to, of course. I've come here for more... pleasant reasons. A reflection of sorts. I haven't really tried fully writing up, and posting all my thoughts... so it's something I need to do. Or at least experiment with.

So... Mizahar. This post is all about Mizahar. Mizahar means... a lot to me. It's not just the writing and the creativity. It's changed me, and I've learnt a lot of things I probably wouldn't have in any other way. Not specific things, but... a general understanding.

It's funny. I first came here because I thought... hey! Writing! My English mark needs a boost! That was my official reason, at least. I also found it interesting, and eventually fell in loved with a concept. The amusing part, however... is that my English mark didn't change. At all. This year's is exactly the same, to the percent, as last years. It's kind of funny. Maybe I'm just not that good at essay writing.

But... Mizahar has done other things, things I wouldn't expect. Lets start with... being an ST. Now, someone around my age rarely has too much of a responsibility, for... anything. It's keep up with homework, study, do well in school... all that stuff. When I became an ST, I knew I was doing something new, a big leap. Though... it still went gradually. And I think that's the process for all ASs/JrSTs. You start small, and grow big. Instead of only being responsible for myself, I'm responsible for all my players, for a city, for keeping things running smoothly and helping people and working out issues.

It's a whole lot more than what first meets the eye. And the experience I've gained from this is... invaluable.

And to segway to my next point... experience. I'm young. However, I can consider myself mature. But... I have no experience. I never thought too much about it before this. However, reading people's scraps, seeing what they know and do and why... I realize... I have very little experience. I know things, sure, but... there's a difference. A big difference.

I'm sure this is basic teenager stuff, but... I know I don't quite understand who I am yet. I'm working on that. I haven't formulated strong opinions on things... I have a few on small things, but... nothing big. For example, Gossamer's sort-of recent post on happiness. It was blunt, in a beautiful way. I don't think I've ever heard someone describe blunt as beautiful... but I guess I would in this context. Especially when it comes to Goss. But that will be another topic :)

Anyways, reading that was... interesting. Enlightening. Partially on the actual topic, though it was putting things into organized words that.... I guess I already understood. When I was reading it, at least, it made sense. However, what struck me most... how do I put this into words... was the opinion. Goss seemed to sure of herself, and it felt like something she'd decided on long ago, and has followed for years. At least, that was the impression I got. I tried to imagine myself writing something like that... but I couldn't. I don't have a well-thought out opinion like that.

And I guess that comes from experience, from living through life. Which... I know I don't have. Now I do, at least. It's not a problem, nor a conundrum. I kind of accept that it'll come with time. And that's what Mizahar has taught me... that 'growing up', in a sense, is not just maturity and knowledge... it's also experience.

Now, I said I'd come back to the Goss topic. Yes, there's a whole topic on her :) Like the rest of this... it should be pleasant. Maybe this is one of those opinions I've been thinking about. I'm not quite sure. Let's get to the point, however.

Gossamer has been... actually... a wonderful role model for me. Not in the sense that I quite follow in a straight line, but her actions are something I look at, and... they make me think. And consider my own. In many ways. It's partially her writing, it's partially her creativity. However, it's more than that. As a person, from what I've seen... she's impressive. She's utterly dedicated to Mizahar, but manages to have a full life on the side. Bees, horses, a job... it's amazing.

She's also probably the best person to run Mizahar. She's... passionate about it. You can tell, just by the amount of effort she puts into it. I know as a normal PC, it would probably be hard for people to tell. As a moderator, I see half of it. Maybe less. She organizes the Storytellers, she fixes problems. She answers probably ten times the number of PMs I have to deal with. She works on the HD... which none of us, with the exception of Traverse and the other Founders, can see.

It's... amazing. Impressive.

But I've been talking about opinions, haven't I? And that's also part of it. She's... sure of herself. Like in that scrapbook post I mentioned before, you can see she knows her mind... and isn't afraid to speak it. She is firm with Mizahar's rules, and our traditions. She knows what she wants, and why she wants it... and is willing to explain when you ask.

I... respect that, I guess. It's pretty cool, and from all I've seen... Goss is simply an amazing person :)

I might have gotten a little off topic over this. I don't know if I went overboard, but... ah well. I haven't spilled my thoughts out like this before, and... I'm not too sure how It'll turn out. Maybe well, maybe less so. The more you try, the more you learn...

Abstract

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Abstract on May 30th, 2014, 8:53 pm

NaJu Counter

A way for me to catalog all of Ory's words for the next month... including the posts/threads the words are in. Tables below!

Day 1
Thread Words Total
Hark, This way... 991 991
Sea Sick 964 1955
Sea Sick 670 2625
Take One 1021 3646
Take One 1119 4765

Day 2
Thread Words Total
Take One 858 5623
Take Two 1034 6657

Day 3
Thread Words Total
Take Two 989 7646
Take Two 513 8169

Day 4
Thread Words Total
Rainy Day Food 1002 9171
Rainy Day Food 1019 10190

Day 5
Thread Words Total
Rainy Day Food 1039 11229
Rainy Day Food 978 12207
Lessons 1059 13256
Lessons 678 13934
Lessons 745 14679
Lessons 680 15359

Day 6
Thread Words Total
Lessons 856 16215

Day 7
Thread Words Total

Day 8
Thread Words Total
Lessons II 1153 17368
Reunion 1056 18424

Day 9
Thread Words Total

Day 10
Thread Words Total

Day 11
Thread Words Total

Day 12
Thread Words Total
Lessons II 903 19327
Rainy Day Food 872 20199

Day 13
Thread Words Total
Reunion 597 20796

Day 14
Thread Words Total
Rainy Day Food 1585 22381
Reunion 619 23000

Day 15
Thread Words Total
Reunion 783 23783

Day 16
Thread Words Total
Reunion 639 24422
Lessons II 1022 25444
Rising Flames 316 25760

Day 17
Thread Words Total
Lessons II 582 26342
All is Lost 1044 27386
All is Lost 1000 28386

Day 18
Thread Words Total
Rising Flames 553 28939
All is Lost 1150 30089

Day 19
Thread Words Total
All is Lost 1088 31177

Day 20
Thread Words Total

Day 21
Thread Words Total
Riding is Exercise 1106 32283
Riding is Exercise 1003 33286
Riding is Exercise 616 33902
Reunion 612 34514

Day 22
Thread Words Total
Rising Flames 917 35431
Trouble 1262 36693

Day 23
Thread Words Total

Day 24
Thread Words Total
Hooves n' Horns 1045 37738
Reunion 1043 38781
Trouble 1190 39971

Day 25
Thread Words Total
Quiet Darkness 1013 40984

Day 26
Thread Words Total
Rising Flames 1172 42156
Quiet Darkness 1215 43371

Day 27
Thread Words Total
Quiet Darkness 1637 45008

Day 28
Thread Words Total

Day 29
Thread Words Total
Quiet Darkness 1019 46027
Meeting and Greeting 632 46659
Reunion 872 47531

Day 30
Thread Words Total
Quiet Darkness 1104 48635
Meeting and Greeting 542 49177
Reunion 1016 50193

Overall Total: 50 193

Abstract

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Abstract on July 10th, 2014, 5:58 pm

Camp

I'm sure if I look back a few pages... well... a lot of pages... I'll find a post similar to this. Why? Well... it happened a year ago. Though that post was probably about camp AND England, a pair of trips that ate up my time last Summer. But it was fun... and I got to meet up with a lot of my family, especially my cousins. Normally they come over here from England every Summer... but I don't know if I'll be seeing one at all this year. She's jumping from place to place, and will spend a lot of time at her OWN camp, on top of everything else. Which is kind of sad...

Anyways, that's not what I'm here about. I just got... well... sidetracked. Camp! A thing I've been doing yearly for the past five years. Well... this is the sixth. It's an overnight thing, and I usually go for two weeks, and it's usually one of my favorite times of the year. I'll get into that :) This year... I'm doing three weeks. And the year after? Well... since I plan on working (hopefully), I'll be doing a solid six weeks PLUS an intro week. So that'll be fun... but of course, no Mizahar over that time :|

I REALLY keep getting distracted. Camp. Camp. I could go on about this for ever. But I'll try not to. To make it clear, I'll be away for a solid three weeks, starting July 20th and going to August 9th... and then I'll be back in full swing. Until school starts again, of course. Those three weeks will be a combination of two weeks of CIT... where I'll sort of be in between camper and counselor... and one week of 'Paddling', as it's called... where I get to be a camper again! The last time I'll be that... ever. I'll just be too old after that XD

I'm not quite sure what I plan on writing here, just... that I'll be writing. Spilling out thoughts. I don't do that very often, though there is something a few posts above here in that boat. CIT... that's what I'm most interested about. I've done the Paddling before at this camp, or something even harder than that... last year. So it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

The CIT, I hope, will be fun. To explain it here, CIT stands for Counselor in Training... a lot of other places go by LIT, where the 'L' stands for leader. A similar thing... though I know one camp where they have both. The more leadership program at my camp is called OSL, which I did last year... Outdoor Skills and Leadership. Just what it said. A bunch of leadership practice and a lot of canoeing and hiking. A lot. I felt sick of lakes for a good month after that... it happens when you spend 11 hours in a day in a canoe.

Despite that, I still love paddling. Which is why I'm taking the paddling thing... mostly just because I honestly want to spend another week there. Two just didn't feel like enough.

As a CIT... the two week program is split in half. The first week you spend with all your other fellow CITs, learning how to be a counselor, how to deal with campers, that kind of thing. You do Situations (SITs), and a whole bunch of other stuff. The second week is where it becomes more interesting. You pretend to be a counselor (hence the name CIT) and help out the actual counselors, by working with one of the camper groups. Any of the programs available... though you can also work with the Lifeguards or the kitchen staff if you want. What I plan on doing? Hopefully... I'll get into paddling. Yes! More canoeing. It'll be interesting, and a learning experience, and maybe I'll be able to put some of my knowledge I've gained from being an ST in Mizahar to use there. Who knows. I do know it'll be fun, though...

I've think I've gone on enough. I'd be surprised if someone read this, actually. I hope it's not impossible... just me musing on going to camp again... in 10 days! Hooray! I expect good things.

Abstract

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Abstract on July 14th, 2014, 1:22 pm

Moving

No, no... it's not me moving. I'm staying right where I am :) In fact... it's one of my close friends moving, heading off to the States for... better education, apparently. Personally we think our area has excellent education, though... our school is actually one of the top ten in the province, or so.

But... there's no delaying it. And... it kind of sucks. It's funny, I was reading it by myself, and it was sort of like 'Oh. Okay...' while reading the long chain of emails. My mom proceeds to walk in... and then I start crying. I don't even know why... There were just tears. Eh? Sometimes it's easier to be alone, I guess. When I think about it, I'm not even that... sad. It might not have registered.

My friends, however, being the amazing people they are, have immediately started talking about details. I think it's our funny way of dealing with it. One has jumped into doing heavy research about the town (city?), looking at the school stuff, crime rate, all that odd stuff. Apparently it was founded in an old plantation. We've discussed when it might be possible to visit in the future, maybe over the Summer or during March Break or... something like that. Despite being an 8 hour drive away, it's also close to Washington... which is a tourist point that people (like us) visit sometimes :)

It's a little amusing reading all of this, but also a little... sad. If I'm worried at all, it's not about myself. I'm worried for her... if she'll make any friends, how it'll be living in a new place... all that stuff. I hope she holds up.

Now I'm back to being sad again, after all of this... ah well. Writing about it helps, I think.

Abstract

Office
Scrapbook

Previous