The Rearing Stallion: Relaxing after a long day

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

The Rearing Stallion: Relaxing after a long day

Postby Terminus Norin on October 28th, 2009, 2:46 am

50th day of fall AV 509 evening time
Spoiler :
Menu
Ale
Mug 1 sm
Gallon 2 sm
* Inquire for what is in stock

Beer
Mug 2 sm
Gallon 4 sm
* House has both pale and dark beers.

Meals
4 sm Breakfast
5 sm Lunch
6 sm Dinner
*Meals are House Specials. No choice, its just whatever the House has cooked for the day
Wine
Glass 1 gm
Bottle 10 gm
* Inquire for what is in stock.
Located under a dangling red and white sign depicting a rearing stallion and the simple word 'tavern', the Rearing Stallion is located near Stormhold in the first ring within the city. One of the first taverns established in Syliras, The Rearing Tavern is a quiet place during the day that runs towards rowdy at night. There are no rooms to rent here. Instead, there is just simple food and lots of flowing Syliran ale. The main room is open with simple wooden chairs and tables scattered throughout. A bar runs the entire length of one side, which divides the kitchen from the actual tavern portion of the facility itself. The main tavern has several dart boards and a small raised dais at the north end for traveling bards to make a few coin. The Rearing Stallion always provides entertainers with free flowing ale.

Low lights grace each table in the form of lanterns that produce just enough light to see what one is eating. Though often filled with people of ill repute, the Rearing Stallion has been known to host off duty Syliran Knights. No one asks too many questions within the establishment because there are a remarkable lack of brawls. Other more seedier places exist for such things. The food, when the kitchen is operating, is hearty and well filling as well as being decent priced.

An enormous fireplace graces one end of the tavern, its chimney sharing brickwork with the kitchen hearth. Arguably the best seats in the house are near the fire, especially in the winter. But those seats are also the best lit. A man can find himself company in the Rearing Stallion as well, though if it goes further than lap warming, one must seek the alley behind the tavern for privacy since no rooms are available. The owner of the Rearing Stallion, an ex-Syliran Knight by the name of Kevith Aargon is now its brewmaster. His wife Remi Aargon cooks all the homemade meals. Their son Seth Aargon waits tables (but just until hes old enough to join the knighthood himself), while two unrelated barmaids - Brucila Sauvi and Carmen Mistra, ferry ale and wine from table to table.

If there is ever any trouble in the Rearing Stallion, Kevith tends to take care of it. Though hes lacking an arm and now retired from the knighthood because of it and other injuries, hes still well-trained in a decent fight. He's taught his son and the barmaids as well.

Terminus found the Rearing Stallion early in the evening, after having spent some time in the Temple of All gods deep in worship which usually invloved passing his hands through a candle flame or otther fire and murmuring fevered praises to Ivak till he released his passion for the god in a pure form. He usualy found himself in need of a meal and refreshment afterward so off he went to the Stallion. It was good to be home again, but he wondered what he could do to make a few Mizas in order to live. He had thoughtof advertising as a firedancer/walker and seeing if a tavern would hire him that way he could worship as his mother taught him while making a few Mizas.

He entered the door of the tavern, letting his eyes adjust to the dimmer lighting and hung his simple cloak by the door. The tavern was nearly empty as it was still early in the evening and local folk had not yet begun to congregate. He found a seat near the fire and was approached by a young woman who took his order for a mug of pale beer and the house dinner. He sipped his beer with relish as for him the Syliran beer was the best there was and he had missed it.
Its not wheither you win or lose but how you play that counts
Terminus Norin
Capture The Day

Words: 63849
Joined roleplay: October 12th, 2009, 4:12 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Re: The Rearing Stallion: Relaxing after a long day

Postby Guido Faragas on October 28th, 2009, 2:37 pm

The red and white sign that finally announced the presence of the Rearing Stallion was a welcoming sight to Guido Faragas. His clothes were still smeared and stained from his venture outside the city; still, at least they were beginning to dry and he no longer caused a shower of dirty water to fall to the ground as he walked. Stopping outside the main door, he kicked his boots against the wall hoping to dislodge the caked mud with which they were liberally plastered. A few clumps were removed but the once respectable boots remained a sorry sight and he knew that some considerble time would be needed to restore them to their former condition.

He hated cleaning. A lot of effort for no appreciable gain. That could wait. A drink was needed to restore his humour. Perhaps many drinks…

The tavern was relatively quiet – the evening rush had yet to begin. Ignoring the questioning glances that were directed his way, he made his way slowly over to the fire as if he was blissfully unaware of his bedraggled state. His favourite seat was taken by a short but athletically built human who was just being served by one of the tavern’s delightful barmaids.

“I’ll have one of those too if you don’t mind,” he said to the barmaid, nodding towards the beer on Terminus’ table. As she departed, he stood with his back to the fire, feeling the warmth soak through his wet clothes and soothe his aching limbs. He gave a quick nod to the man at the table. “ 'Tis a good draught they serve here.”

Back on the boards after a nasty virus laid me low...should be posting again soon.
Guido Faragas
In Disequilibrium

Words: 114496
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2009, 7:50 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Terminus Norin on October 29th, 2009, 2:45 am

Terminus had been contemplating the fire as was his way to do when there was a fire, he was very dedicated to Ivak and the more fire the better he liked it..to a point. He did not desire destruction, in fact he sought a balance. But unfortunately that balace could not always be reached. it was at those times his father's teachings applied regarding release

He sensed a strong feel of unrest and turned to see a man not much younger than he was entering the tavern, he was in an obvious state of bedragglement and fairly dirty to boot. he watched as the young man shuffled across the room and noted that despite his gait he was a healthy and strong looking man. It was clear to Terminus that this young man either wasn;t aware of his state of just didn't care, Terminus would have guessed the latter by the man's walk and general demeanor of lethargy. He nodded as the man ordered a pale beer and spoke to him

Aye the beer here tis the best and I have been far too long from it. He waved to the seat across from him indicating the man should sit with him shoud he desire it. Terminus skin was a slight bit more flushed that a normal man's due to its slightly higher temperature, and his eyes showed a fire like that of a man posessed with a quest or other thing. he extended his hand

Terminus Norin at your service. I am a son of this city returned from a long journey. Please join me and enjoy the fire.
Terminus Norin
Capture The Day

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Guido Faragas on October 29th, 2009, 3:23 pm

Guido shook the outstretched hand of the smaller man and accepted the offer of a seat at the table, noting the forceful nature with which he was regarded. This fellow has a deep intensity within his eyes. Some hidden passion? Something that nags at his soul?

“Thank you kindly, Terminus. As you can see, I am in need of proximity to the fire.” He gave his companion a rueful smile, wiping one hand through his straggly hair. “It has been one of those days…”

“I am Guido Faragas and I hail from this city as well. As you can see, I have been on a journey but just a short one, despite my appearance.” The youth’s eyes blinked in an agitated fashion as he spoke, as if the journey had been just as unpleasant as the state of his garments suggested.

“It seems from what you say, that you have been absent from here much longer than I. So what brings you back here? The fireside? The beer? The women?” His glance shifted to the barmaid as she arrived with the mug of dark beer. After searching in a deep pocket, he gave her a few coins and a playful wink, before quaffing down a good half of the foaming liquid.

Back on the boards after a nasty virus laid me low...should be posting again soon.
Guido Faragas
In Disequilibrium

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Niall Raghnall on October 29th, 2009, 5:30 pm

Niall came to the tavern often and enjoyed sitting on the edge of the hearth of the fire and watchin people until the place got too busy. He enjoyed small crowds and solitude over wall to wall people and social gatherings. He sipped on his glass of Sattui Wine from Riverfall. looking at the few people that were here.

His eyes were quick to notice the short human walking in. He seemed to be sticking to himself as he wandered over and grabbed a table near Niall and the fire. The human ordered a mug of ale and some dinner once the waitress came around. He held the look of one who truly enjoyed the ale as he took his first sip. That drew Niall's attention because he did not look like some of the typical drunks that needed ale. He looked like he truly enjoyed the taste.

A second human entered the establish which took niall's eyes away from the table for a moment. This one was tall and skinny with oily hair. He woul dnot have captured Niall's interested had he not walked over to the table of the short human and begun a conversation. They were both very cordial to each other and did not speak in a low tone as if concerned that others might hear. Their names were Guido and Terminus and both seemed to have a love for this ale. Then the topic changed to travels, and Niall was hooked.

The 6'5" framed Akalak was on the short side for his kind who could well tower over 7' tall, But to a human Niall was still a fairly large fellow. The Akalak were a proud and honorable warrior race, and Niall would have been the stereotypical akalak. He had little in the way of fat on his body as was the way with most of the race. His skin was a midnight hue that reflected either a dark purple or blackish color based on the reflection from lighting. He had on trousers and a loose white long sleeved shirt. The only weapon he had on him was a unique dagger called a Lakan that all Akalak warriors possessed.

"Please forgive my intrusion, but I could not help overhear the talks of well travelled roads and do love such topics. My name is Niall. Might I join you?" He asked offering a smile while holding his glass of Riverfall created wine.
Niall Raghnall
Player

Words: 19913
Joined roleplay: August 10th, 2009, 7:55 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Akalak
Character sheet

Postby Terminus Norin on October 30th, 2009, 4:22 am

Terminus smiled slightly as enjoying anything was his passion in life, he felt that keeping too many things inside was not conducive to good balance. He also knew that some things needed to be kept inside. He motioned to the chair nearest the fire as Guido introduced himself

"Please then sit and warm yourself ane enjoy your drink and perhaps we can find good company in the spent time."

He nodded to Guido's statement of his having been gone a long time. ]"Aye I have been gone a while, I had much to seek. I think my passion for home and the good ales and beers they serve here brought me back. My parents still reside near the city and work will be more plentifull inside the gates as outside."

He noted the approach of the dark, tall man and turned his bright eyes on him motioning to a seat at the table, standing and extending his hand.

"Please Niall, join us, Guido and I have just returned home after hard journeys. Share the fire and the drinks and the company by all means."

He sipped his drink with relish again and seemed to get lost in the flames for a moment, also either of the men who cared to notice could see the black,sooty marks on his hands and feel the extra warmth of his skin, but perhaps this was not odd considering the world's nature
Last edited by Terminus Norin on October 31st, 2009, 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Terminus Norin
Capture The Day

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Guido Faragas on October 30th, 2009, 11:33 am

Guido took a second gulp of his ale as he listened to Terminus, noting the rather dark marks on the man’s hands. I wonder how he got those marks; are they burn marks; they remind me of my hands when I started learning the fire art.

He was about to say more when Niall arrived. The newcomer was clearly an Akalak although not so tall as many in the city. In the dark of the tavern, his skin appeared to be almost black, although as the light of the fire bathed his skin, its characteristically purple hue became more evident.

“Yes, please do join us,” Guido echoed Terminus’s greeting. “The more the merrier as far as drink and stories are concerned. “I see you prefer the wine to the ale?”

As he spoke, the young human’s green eyes sparkled although they were repeatedly hidden by a pair of rapidly blinking eyelashes. He stroked a pointed chin with a rather grimy hand. Indeed, it would have been obvious to Niall that Guido’s entire appearance was rather dirty and dishevelled. He bore every indication of having been immersed in a mudbath, which indeed he had.

Guido Faragas
In Disequilibrium

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Niall Raghnall on October 30th, 2009, 2:45 pm

"Thank you both for allowing me to join in the conversation. I am afraid I do not have stories of far off travels. I am a squire in The Syliras Knights and have no tyet had great adventures of my own, though I hope to someday. My first adventure would be to my home city of Riverfall. I have never stepped foot inside the gates of the city of the Akalak where this wine I drink comes from, but it will be my first destination."

Niall took a chair at the table and took a sip of his wine before setting it down. He had never developed a taste for ale. It wasn't bad, but there was something peaceful about drinking the wine that came from the vineyards or Riverfall even if he'd never been there before.

He looked over both men and noted their appearance. Both looked to be hard workers in whatever trade they did. He would have thought the burn marks were a sign of a smith while the mud on the taller one might have come from working with animal stock. Both fields were respectable professions, and the knights held no belief in social status.

"What is it that you both do for a living?"

OOCFYI, there are only 5000 Akalak in existance across the entire realm of Mizahar. only 1% of them live outside the city of Riverfall. So in all of Syliras, there might be 2 that live in the city along with Niall. I GM Riverfall, so that is how I know :)
Niall Raghnall
Player

Words: 19913
Joined roleplay: August 10th, 2009, 7:55 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Akalak
Character sheet

Postby Terminus Norin on November 1st, 2009, 1:58 am

Terminus listened to Niall speak of his being in the knighthood and of never having set foot in the city of the Akalak. So this is what an Akalak looks like. I had always wondered he thought to himself.

Well may tyour adventures take you to your ancestral home some day Niall, I myself am a son of Syliras and glad to be home. Questing has its upside but the downside is you get to missing home.

He chuckled as he sipped the ale, "What do I do for a living? I firedance or firewalk as entertainment. It makes a Miza or so and keeps me in room and board." He knew it was also his worship to Ivak, but with the god being in disfavour he was never sure who to admit that to, despite his zeal he knew a dead worshiper was of no use to Ivak.
Terminus Norin
Capture The Day

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Guido Faragas on November 1st, 2009, 8:21 am

Guido listened to Niall and Terminus’ comments with increasing interest. A Sylirian Knight? A firedancer? It makes most of my life appear mundane.

“What job do I have?” The mud-splattered man began rhetorically, shifting uneasily in his chair before taking another mouthful of the brew. His limbs felt much warmer now and he was beginning to relax as the flickering flames from the fire created a pleasant ambience in the tavern.

“Well, today, I was a mud-digger. Yesterday, I spent the day writing. Before that I lugged crates, tidied an old man’s house and listened to stories in a tavern much like this one.” He paused, letting his eyes wander across the features of the Akalak and the smaller human, searching for any reaction to his words. The novice reimancer felt unwilling to speak of his recent training in the skill, for he knew that most in the city had a superstitious prejudice against such arts. So, he took another tack:

“In truth, my main interest is archaeology. My...father and I have dug many sites outside the city; there are the remains of ancient settlements and battles scattered across the region. We find historical artefacts and...er... find them a good home. It is an uncertain living but it has taught me much of the history and geography of this area.”

OOCInteresting, the information on the city in Lore seems to imply that 10% of the city population are akalak, but I guess this refers to the whole region?

Guido Faragas
In Disequilibrium

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next