Closed The Meeting of A Vantha and a Sverfa

Adney and Palla meet

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

The Meeting of A Vantha and a Sverfa

Postby Palla Frostfawn on June 6th, 2014, 3:24 am

7th of Summer, 514 AV 9th BellThis threads spans from the 9th-11th bell

Palla had bought a fishing kit in the spring, but she hadn't gotten a chance to use it yet. While the sun was hot, especially for Palla, she decided she could go to the docks and dip her toes in the water if it got too hot while fishing. Palla had dug up worms from her garden earlier that day, upturning soil and putting the worms into a bowl she had carved. When she had a satisfactory amount of worms, she had walked carefully to the docks, bringing her fishing kit. She had left Midnight and Purity at home for fear they'd get tangled in fishing wire or get hurt by a fish hook.

When Palla arrived at the docks, she opened her fishing kit. She took outthe fishing wire and a hook, unsure of what the other items would do. This can't be that hard, can it? Just put the worm on the hook, tie the hook to a string and wait. Right? That's exactly what Palla did.She put the worm on the hook first, flinching as she did so, tied the hook to a length of fishing wire, and dangled the makeshift fishing pole off the edge of the docks.

Palla then waited. And waited. And waited. She finally pulled the wire up to find nothing at the end of the hook, the worm wasn't on correctly and it had drifted away. She sighed, squeamishly put another worm on the hook, and then waited again. This time, she felt a tug on the line, but when she pulled it up, there was nothing there. A fish had stolen her worm, and Palla was too squeamish to stab the poor worms more than once to make sure it stayed on.

Palla had been given glances by a passerby, but nobody had actually stopped to talk to her yet. She had seen others fishing at the docks, so she figured it must be socially acceptable to do so. While she waited, she listened to the footsteps of people behind her, trying to pass time. She picked at a cuticle. She waited for a fish, and considered asking someone more educated on the subject of fishing to help her. She decided that if she didn't catch a fish in the next ten chimes she would do so, but for now she would just wait the short amount of time that felt agonizingly long to her, as she wasn't used to fishing or being very patient.
Last edited by Palla Frostfawn on June 16th, 2014, 8:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Palla Frostfawn
Player

Words: 117768
Joined roleplay: November 30th, 2013, 3:58 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Adney Tempest on June 6th, 2014, 4:37 am

Adney was relaxing up on a tree that was near the dock. He was just enjoying the hot sun shine on his face. He also enjoyed just watching the view of the water up on the tree. He just smiled and closed his eyes. Then he heard footsteps coming from behind him. He turned to see who was walking behind him and saw a young girl who looks much like his age. She was carrying what looked like a fishing kit,a fishing pole and a bowl but Adney couldn't tell what was in the bowl which made him really curious. He jumped from the tree and slowly followed behind her. He watched her sit down on the dock and try to get her hook ready for fishing. He then realized what was in the bowl which was worms that she used to fish with in the water. Adney was a little disgusted by the worms and went on with his business.

He walked past her and walked a little aways from her but he kept looking back staring at her. There was something about her that made Adney want to talk to her but he kept walking."If she is still fishing went I get back then I will talk to her." A few chimes went by and Adney decided to walk back to see how the young female was doing with fishing. He came across her again and saw her struggling with her pole as she wasn't quite sure how to fish. He noticed that she was looking around giving people quick glances. Adney smiled and decided to just go talk to her. Adney walked up to the girl and tapped her on her shoulder."Hello there my name is Adney Tempest. I noticed you were fishing here and wanted to introduce myself to you um…do you mind if I sit next to you."
- Adney Tempest
Last edited by Adney Tempest on June 11th, 2014, 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adney Tempest
Player

Words: 36821
Joined roleplay: March 1st, 2014, 8:11 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Palla Frostfawn on June 6th, 2014, 5:15 pm

Palla was just waiting for a fish when she was tapped on the shoulder. A young man, around her age, introduced himself as Adney Tempest. "I-I don't mind. She stammered. As she seemed to be catching nothing, she pulled the fishing line up. "I-I'm Palla, of the Frostfawn hold." Palla looked at Adney. "I-I don't seem to be catching much, though. I-I have no idea how to fish."

"I-It can't be that hard, can it? Y-You just put the worm on the hook and put it in the water, right? D-Do you know how to fish?" Palla chuckled. "I-It should be obvious that I can't. D-Do you want to fish with me?

If he said yes, Palla would open up her fishing kit and put it between them. She would give him the opportunity to get his hook ready, and would hold the bowl of worms out to him.

If he said no, Palla would resume fishing.

Either way, Palla would try to make small talk, because in her mind, awkward talk was better than awkward silence. "H-How are you, Adney?" Palla would ask. She didn't know what to think of him, and her eyes shifted colors. In case he noticed, to avoid scaring Adney, Palla would explain "I-I'm a Vantha. My eyes change colors with my mood." She was curious about his race, but decided not to ask and hope that by revealing her race to him, he would tell her his. Palla decided he could be human, but that there was something different about him.
Palla Frostfawn
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Adney Tempest on June 7th, 2014, 12:47 am

Adney smiled as he was sitting down. When he sat down she mentioned her name "Palla of the Frostfawn hold." Adney was quiet and looked at Palla. "I-I don't seem to be catching much, though. I-I have no idea how to fish." Adney chuckled a little bit while watching her fish."Yes I can see that." Adney began to fiddle with his thumb as he was trying to think of things to say to her. Adney then heard her talking and began to listen to her."I-It can't be that hard, can it? Y-You just put the worm on the hook and put it in the water, right? D-Do you know how to fish?" Palla chuckled. "I-It should be obvious that I can't. D-Do you want to fish with me?" Adney was happy but at the same time a little shocked at the many questions she was asking."Whoa Whoa hold your horses on the questions Palla. Well first off I would love to teach how to fish but I was taught to catch fish with a net not necessarily with a hook. Secondly don't say that you can't fish anybody can fish it just takes from what I am seeing when you fish a lot of patience, persistence and practice and thirdly I would be honored to fish with you." Adney smiled and saw Palla open her fishing kit and sat it between them. Adney grabbed a hook and some fishing wire and tied the hook into a string. Adney then saw Palla grab her bowl of worms and held it in front of Adney. Adney forgot that there would be worms involved and almost gagged. Adney then contained himself and grabbed a worm that would look acceptable for the fish. Adney then stuck the worm into the hook and let the hook down into the water.

Adney then smiled at Palla and went back to focus on his hook. "H-How are you, Adney?" Adney turned to Palla as she asked the question. Adney smiled,"I am doing fine, thank you for asking." Then Adney saw that Palla's eyes were changing into a different color from her original eye color. Adney was shocked but amazed at the same time. "I-I'm a Vantha. My eyes change colors with my mood." Adney began to chuckle and looked at her eyes again."That is petching awesome I have never met a Vantha before well I was told stories about them but never thought the changing eye color with your mood was real until now. Well then since you told me your race I believe I should return the favor and tell you mine. I am Svefra. We are humans but a little different from the normal humans as we like to call them for one we like to live out at sea we don't much like to stay on land. We normally have blonde hair and blue eyes but as you can see with me I have brown hair and blue eyes. We speak a whole different language known as Fratava. Yeah I think I talked way too much I apologize for that I don't normally talk a lot, I am normally the silent type." Then Adney felt a tug on his line and began to pull. "Whoa I think I got a bite and this feels like it is going to be a big one." Adney pulled and pulled and when he brought the hook back the worm was gone. Adney looked at Palla and smiled with embarrassment. "Wow you were totally right. This fishing thing is a little harder then I thought."
- Adney Tempest
Last edited by Adney Tempest on June 11th, 2014, 4:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Adney Tempest
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Palla Frostfawn on June 7th, 2014, 2:46 am

"H-Hold my horses? What horses?" Palla asked. Horses? Ohhh. It must be a figure of speech. Palla repeated her thoughts out loud. "Oh, I get it. It's a figure of speech, isn't it?" Of course it's a figure of speech! It must be, right?

Palla was excited for someone who she thought was more experienced than her to teach her to fish, but when he had finished his sentence, she realized that he was probabky as clueless as her when it came to fishing with a line, as she didn't have a net and he didn't seem to either. When Adney said he would be honored to fish with Palla, she let out a giggle. "H-Honored? Oh, I'm nobody important." Adney mimicked what Palla had done and tied the hook to the line. When it came to worms, though, Adney seemed disgusted, and Palla smiled internally. He's more squeamish than me!

When Adney said that her eyes were 'petching awesome' and that he didn't think that their eye color really changed, Palla giggled again and said "W-Well, I'm pretty sure I'm real. Glad you think my eyes are awesome." For Palla, this was flirting, giggling a bit more and making smart remarks.

"Y-Yes, I'm technically human, too. I-I'd rather be a bit seperated from them, though, having something to make me who I am. A Vantha." Palla replied. Although she'd never show it, Palla would actually be a bit offended if she was called a human. In her mind, the Vantha were more than that. As Adney continued, Palla was a bit entertained by the prospect. The Sverfa reminded her a bit of the Coolwater, having an affinity with things water related. "Fratava?" Palla asked. C-Can you teach me? That was probably a bit too soon, Palla.

"Oh, it's no problem." Palla said, dismissing the thought with a wave of her hand. "I-I will sometimes ramble on and on..." Palla watched with interest as Adney pulled the hook up to reveal the lack of a worm. "Y-Yeah, I don't think it can be that hard, but I don't have much patience and I'm inexperienced."

Palla Frostfawn
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Adney Tempest on June 7th, 2014, 4:28 am

Adney smiled at Palla. "Yes Palla it is a figure a speech. I apologize for scaring you there for minute." Adney grabbed another worm and stuck onto the hook. He dropped the hook into the water once again and waited."H-Honored? Oh, I'm nobody important." Adney turned his head seriously. "To me you are important you are the first Vantha I have ever met." Adney kept an eye on his line so he didn't miss a fish tugging on the hook."W-Well, I'm pretty sure I'm real. Glad you think my eyes are awesome."Adney laughed while still focusing on his line."So what color does your eyes change to when you are mad or sad if that is not to much to ask?"

"Adney don't go overboard with the questions you don't want to weird her out anymore then you already did." Adney continued to look at his line."Y-Yes, I'm technically human, too. I-I'd rather be a bit seperated from them, though, having something to make me who I am. A Vantha." Adney was surprised at her comment and it made him happy to hear that they had the same opinions. "Wow we have something in common then I believe that us Svefra are different from humans." Adney slowly looked back at his line and got a little tug on his line and began to pull when he brought the hook back up still no fish but the worm was still intact. "These petchin fish won't stay on this hook." Adney threw back his hook."Fratava? C-Can you teach me?" Adney turned his head in shock. "Y-Y-You want me to teach you fratava?" Adney smiled. "Sure I would love to teach you. That way I have someone else to talk to besides my pod mates."

Adney chuckled but it was interrupted by a tug from the line. This time the tug was a lot stronger then before. Adney pulled with all his might and then the weight from the tug was gone and Adney hit his head with his hands."Ow that hurt." Adney looked at his line and saw that the worm and hook was gone. "That is it I am done with this fishing thing. I thought I had the patience but nope this is too much for me." Adney threw his line into the water in anger and looked out at sea. Then he breathed in and breathed out and was calm. He looked at Palla with a frown. "I truly am sorry you had to see that but I get upset for the most dumbest things sometimes." Adney looked down and was quiet but then something came to him. He looked at Palla and smiled."Hey it is a nice sunny day out. You want to go for a swim?"
- Adney Tempest
Last edited by Adney Tempest on June 11th, 2014, 4:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Adney Tempest
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Palla Frostfawn on June 7th, 2014, 5:09 pm

'To me you are important.' That stuck in Palla's head, as even though she was only important to Adney because she was the first Vantha he'd ever met, she hadn't heard those words, or anything similar, since she moved to Riverfall.

"W-When I'm mad, my eyes turn orange. When I'm sad or scared, my eyes are an aquamarine blue, leaning more towards blue." Palla felt vulnerable admitting this to Adney, but she wasn't one to refuse to answer his question.

"Y-Yes, I think that subraces of the human species are different than pure blooded humans. They don't seem to have as much of a culture." Palla watched as Adney failed to catch a fish, and turned back to her own.

She smiled then and said "I-I'll teach you Vani, the Vanthas' language, in exchange for you teaching me Fratava. A-Although, I am a little rusty, considering that I haven't spoken in my mother tounge in a while." Palla thought for a bit on how to say Adney's name, then said "H-Hello, Adney." in Vani. She switched back to Common and said "What I said was 'Hello, Adney" in Vani.

Next thing she knew, Adney was pulling on the fishing line with all his might. Suddenly, the line went slack, and Palla watched as he hit himself in the face. She stifled the urge to smile, and it was a good thing, too, as Adney threw the line into the water in frustration. He looked to the sea and took a deep breath and calmed down. "T-That's okay." Palla said to Adney. It took a lot to make her angry, but she knew that didn't hold true for anyone.

When Adney asked if Palla wanted to swim, she blushed, her red cheeks not visible under her dark skin. "I-I can't swim. S-Sorry." While Palla wanted to, she would probably drown if she went swimming without help. If Adney offered to help her, though,Palla would agree to go swimming. She would put her fishing line back in her box, and would then tentatively lower herself in the water. Palla was self conscious, so she just wore her clothes into the water.
Palla Frostfawn
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Adney Tempest on June 7th, 2014, 6:51 pm

"W-When I'm mad, my eyes turn orange. When I'm sad or scared, my eyes are an aquamarine blue, leaning more towards blue." Adney thought about that in his head. "Oh ok well that is interesting to know and that is something to keep a note of in my head." Adney pretended that he was writing something in his hand."Don't…..make….Palla…..Sad….or….Mad." Adney was happy when Palla mentioned that she could teach him Vani but in return he would teach her Fratava."OK fair enough."Adney laughed, amazed when Palla spoke in her language. "That language is very interesting." Adney tried to say hello back in Vani but wasn't sure if it came out right."H-Hello, Palla." Did I say it right?" Adney smirked and looked at Palla. "Ok now it is my turn to teach you Fratava." Adney crossed his legs and looked at Palla. "Hello, Palla." Adney went back to common and smiled. "What I said was "hello Palla" in Fratava, now you give it a try."

"I-I can't swim. S-Sorry."Adney was a little sad but smiled."Ah it's ok." Adney got up from his seat and took off his shirt. Adney jumped into the water making a big splash. Adney stayed under water for a couple of seconds and then came up for air. Adney wiped his face with his hands and looked at Palla. "Well I can help you with swimming if you want to learn." After Adney mentioned about helping her swim Palla agreed. Adney smiled as he watched Palla set her fishing line back in the box. She slowly lowered herself down into the water. Adney opened his arms to help her. "Don't worry I got you." Adney noticed that she kept her clothes on but just ignored it."Now let me teach you the basics. Before you start swimming you need to know how to float. When you float you want to move you arms and legs in a circular motion while staying in place. You think you can do that?"
- Adney Tempest
Last edited by Adney Tempest on June 11th, 2014, 4:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Adney Tempest
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Palla Frostfawn on June 8th, 2014, 12:03 am

Palla giggled as Adney pretended to write on his hand, but at the same time, she felt a bit helpless. Now he'll know whenever I'm sad or mad, I won't be able to hide that from him.

"Y-You said 'Hello' correctly, but not Palla. I never taught you how to say Palla, though, so it's understandable. I-I don't think I'd be the best teacher, though, because since you don't know Vani, when I stammer when saying a word, you'll think that's how you say it. I-I'll try not to stammer, though." Palla was stammering less, but she still did so by force of habit. Palla listened closely to Adney as he spoke in Fratava. "Hello, Palla." She said. "I-I don't know how to say Adney, so I think I just said hello to myself."

Adney disappeared under the water, and Palla was momentarily scared. When he resurfaced, Palla was relived, but said nothing. Adney helped her get into the water, but she still clung to a wooden pole that held the dock up until Adney told her what to do. She tried to tread water, but soon sank, moving her legs as if she was riding a bike but forgetting to move her arms. Palla quickly grabbed hold of the pole. I really need to get clothes more suitable for swimming. I probably look really stupid. Palla vowed to find something to fit her child-like form at the bazaar later that day.

"I-It doesn't sound that hard to swim. I'll try again." Palla tried again, concentrating with all her might on staying afloat. She could for much longer the second time, and smiled at Adney.
Palla Frostfawn
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Adney Tempest on June 8th, 2014, 2:26 am

Adney smiled when he saw Palla giggled. "Yes I made her giggle at least that is something." Adney was a little embarrassed that he messed up on Palla's name but he was happy he got hi right."I-I don't think I'd be the best teacher, though, because since you don't know Vani, when I stammer when saying a word, you'll think that's how you say it. I-I'll try not to stammer, though." Adney looked at Palla a little frustrated. "I am sure you will be a good teacher don't be so negative Palla, and besides I am fast learner at least I am told I am, so I will be able to learn Vani real quickly." Adney began to laugh when Palla said Hi but she said her name instead of Adney's name. "Hello, Palla." She said. "I-I don't know how to say Adney, so I think I just said hello to myself." Adney smiled "I totally forgot to mention my name I apologize."

When Adney helped Palla down to the water she began to cling onto a wooden pole that was nearby. "She must be scared of the water but that is understandable after I am down with teaching her she won't be scared anymore well hopefully." After Adney told Palla what to do she tried to tread water but than sank into water. Adney rushed to help her but stopped when he saw her quickly get to the wooden pole again. Adney laughed."I-It doesn't sound that hard to swim. I'll try again." Adney nodded allowing her to try again. Palla tried again and you can see there was a lot of focus and determination on her face. Palla was able to stay treading for a little bit and began to smile at Adney. "Haha yes you got it very good Palla you will be able swim in no time." Adney opened his arms and looked at Palla with a serious face. "Now Palla I want you to trust me on this. I want you to try and swim to me. If you feel like you can't make it or that you are sinking please tell me and I will catch you. I will be sure that you won't drown but please truest me on this."
- Adney Tempest
Last edited by Adney Tempest on June 11th, 2014, 4:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Adney Tempest
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next