Completed [Gilia Medical Center] That One Itch (Alaia)

An unfortunate rash at an unfortunate time.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

[Gilia Medical Center] That One Itch (Alaia)

Postby Hirem on June 24th, 2014, 3:28 pm

25th of Summer, 514 AV

Hirem had been through a lot in the past two seasons.

He has nearly starved to death three times, and perishing by dehydration had never stopped being a threat throughout the early days of last spring. An attack by a desert tsana would have been the end of him, had a lucky caravan not stumbled upon him at the last chime. Even in Riverfall, one of the safest of cities, he had not managed to get himself any rest; he worked as a bouncer at one of the rowdiest taverns in the city, for gods' sake! Every night, he retired to his room at the Kulkukan with new bruises, new sores, new aching pains that kept him up deep into the night and refused to ebb. His workouts were not safe either: he had a tendency to overexert himself in his exercises, stretching out new muscles daily. A senseless drive to compete with the powerful Akalak in the city was proving to be just a bit too much for him. Endless training, sparring, fighting, brawling, bouncing... all of it conspired to reduce his body to nothingness.

Staring into the mirror his tavern room provided him was disheartening, to say the least. His fitness had not improved greatly since he had last examined himself in spring, noting that he was at least stepping away from the awful shape that the desert had brought him to. I no longer look famished... once more, people look at me and think only of my strength. That is a useful advantage to have. But the signs of wear and tear were evident to anybody with a trained eye for those sort of things. His eyes, bright with Benshira brown but weary from a lifetime of staring into Syna's wrath, had thick black bags underneath them, a result of his constant nightmares. The wound on his arm was no longer gaping open, but still throbbed painfully when pressure was applied to it. Likewise for the several scars that littered his face, cheeks, and neck. Every part of him felt sore and tired and terribly, terribly weak. His hair was wild and askew, his beard wiry and unkempt, every part of him was dishevelled. He looked to be a man that regularly endured hell and every sin that accompanied it, and, truth be told, he was.

So Hirem was very surprised when a simple rash managed to bring him down, when a dozen injuries before it had not.

Well, not so surprised when one considered where the rash had taken root.

He first noticed it when disrobing for the evening. He didn't usually stare at himself when he prepared for bed, but earlier this afternoon, a drunkard at the Rat Hole had tried to knock him over with a bar stool. The drunkard had been swiftly dealt with, but the pain had persisted throughout the day and well into the night. Checking the hit to see if it welted seemed like the most obvious course of action after that. Thankfully, looking at his bare chest, Hirem didn't manage to see any obvious bruise forming, meaning that he wouldn't have to deal with the welt the following morning. He was just about to slip into bed when he finally spotted it: raw, red, and angry, tracing up the length of his calf. Confused, the Benshira wanted to dismiss this as some trick of the mirror... but found that when he looked at his own left leg, he could see the same rash.

And he could follow that rash. It didn't end on his calf, but instead kept going, tracing up his leg and crawling across the length of his inner thigh like a spidery hand. Actually, that was incorrect; the more Hirem stared at the rash, the more he realized that it was actually blossoming down his leg, becoming thinner the farther it descended. Meaning... checking his other leg, Hirem realized that the rash was mirrored on his other inner thigh. Then, taking a slow, deep breath, the Benshira grit his teeth, bent over, and inspected himself below, searching for the possible origin of this rash -

OH GODS.

After that, the pain had started. White hot, searing pain, that flashed up either of his legs and made his whole body quiver with agony. Every step he took, every swivel of his waist, sent ripples of torment washing down every limb of his body. Hirem almost let himself collapse, senseless, into the bed, but instead held his ground and dressed himself, preparing to make an urgent trip to the Gilia Medical Center. Hik, why did I choose to move to the Kulkukan? When I was living at Atri's Place, at least the Gilia was only a street away! How am I going to make the climb to the upper tier like this? Clenching his fists tightly, trying to relieve some of the pain he felt by focusing his strength on something, Hirem turned and stared up at the ceiling intently. Yahal, all I have done for you will be for naught if you turn back on me now, he threatened, shaking his head slowly.

Half a bell later, the limping Benshira had finally hobbled his way into the Gilia Medical Center, his legs on fire and every part of his body aching in protest. The night was very late and the city seemed quiet all around - because of that, Hirem was hoping to get treated quickly and efficiently. But one look into the crowded lobby dissuaded him from these high hopes. A great many fevers had overtaken the city in the worsening heat wave, leading to a large crowd of wilting men, women, and children standing between Hirem and possible medical help. There was nothing for it but to wait, as the Benshira had no desire to push his case ahead of other poor Rivarians that might very well pass out at any second from the stifling heat. Finding an empty seat on the far wall, Hirem sat and squirmed for what seemed like many bells, his eyes fixed on the constantly busy front desk.

Finally, an opportunity! Throwing himself to his feet, Hirem advanced towards the desk. "I have a rash - " he began.

The secretary cut him off. "To your immediate left, third room on the right. Thank you." She intoned with a precise look to her eyes.

There was no sense in complaining about her demeanour. Hirem nodded graciously, breathed thanks to her, and limped down the left hallway. In his mind's eye, he recalled a similar night at the Gilia, when he had first come in after breaking the stitching on his wounded arm. That was the night I was lucky enough to meet Natalia. I wonder, is she working again tonight? Might I see her? The odds of that seemed low; he had come into the Gilia countless times afterwards, and had never caught another glimpse of the Ethaefal woman. Shrugging his shoulders, the Benshira eased himself into his room, closed the door, dragged himself over to the bed, and threw his whole weight atop it. The wood groaned underneath his heavy body, but taking the pressure off his legs eased their burden considerably. He laid his head back and stared at the ceiling, wondering how one man could become so unlucky. If these are all trials that Yahal has concocted to test me, then this is perhaps the strangest of them all, and I fear for my god's sanity.

Word Count :
Last edited by Hirem on July 10th, 2014, 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My PCs:
Hirem
Hirem
The golden age is over.

Words: 615712
Joined roleplay: November 26th, 2009, 3:50 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Donor (1)

Postby Alaia on June 25th, 2014, 7:48 pm

Alaia headed towards the medical center in the twilight of the morning before the sunrise had broken across the horizon of the Suvan Sea and before the heavy air of the evening settled into temperature that made even breathing uncomfortable. She had taken the early shift today in hopes she could get out of the center before the heat of the summer melted her scales off her body. Her work was only a couple streets up from her home on the docks but even at this time of the day when she made it to the doors of the medical center her loose white pants and shirt were clinging to her small frame with sweat. Her long platinum blond hair was tied up in a bun on her head to keep it from her face and off her neck but that didn’t stop the few strands of hair from adhering to her skin. She rarely tied her hair up, she enjoyed it long, flowy and feminine and when it was up it often drew more attention to her gnosis mark on the side of her face.

It had been a long week and she had a few decisions to make in regards to where her life was going to go, she had already decided to leave Riverfall for a trip to Kenash just so that she could experience something other than a world that accepted her so readily. She wanted to see how other people lived. She also hoped the coming days would shed light as to when it would be her last at the medical center and as she pushed into the building she was glad for that while narrowly escaping a patient who was running into the center behind her. Patience Alaia … The Konti loved her job, every ounce of her loved being here – it was touching the patients she didn’t like, no matter what happened or what she had to look at eventually she always had skin to skin contact and her gift would take over her senses for a tick.

Less interaction would be a better fit for her, maybe something with animals, she would be able to still carry out Rak’keli’s wishes and serve her Goddess and she’d be happier doing it because she can’t feel animals the way she feels sentient beings. Shaking her head Alaia moved towards the desk and smiled at the woman behind it “Hey Sasha … where do you need me today?” The receptionist was frazzled, that was something that Alaia could tell without even asking what was wrong. The lobby was full and bustling at such an odd hour the center probably wasn’t staffed the way it would be as the day continued on, plus the heat was only making things worse. “Room 106.” The response was curt as she shuffled papers and directed others where to go but the Konti didn’t take it personally she could only imagine the stress dealing with all the patients would cause. She was glad she wasn’t a receptionist.

Turning from the counter Alaia headed down the left hallway and moved towards the third door, it was closed so she could only assume someone was already in it waiting for her. With soft knuckles she rapped on the door to warn her patient that she was coming in and after a few breaths and hopefully a response from within she would turn the handle on the door and step into the room. “Hello…” her smile was warm and welcoming while she closed the door behind her to block out the sounds coming from the hall as well she give him privacy incase what he wanted to talk about was a sensitive matter. “…I’m Alaia, I’ll be treating you today. What’s your name? Would you mind telling me or showing me what is bothering you today and we can go from there…” As she spoke her common carefully she let her eyes flick over his form briefly and unobtrusively just so she could assess quickly if there was any immediate concern before her gaze fell back on his waiting to see what was wrong with this man before her.
Last edited by Alaia on August 6th, 2014, 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alaia
My soul whispers to you in the silence.

Words: 181488
Joined roleplay: May 27th, 2014, 7:27 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Character (1)

Postby Hirem on June 27th, 2014, 1:13 am

As Hirem sat there, waiting for medical help to arrive, he couldn't help but contemplate how on earth he would explain his situation to the healer that was destined to walk through the door. Embarrassment wasn't an emotion that the Benshira was often exposed to - his interactions with other people for the last four years, barring his arrival in Riverfall, had been restricted to greetings, farewells, and short bargaining for supplies. Travelling the desert for any significant amount of time gave one a swift education in the tradition of these formal affairs, so there wasn't a lot of room for failure and humiliation. But when embarrassment decided to rear its ugly head, it dug into him keenly and painfully. Hirem often felt awkward around people, believing that he didn't understand all of their social niceties and expectations... a byproduct of his years of isolation. He relished company, of course, and enjoyed conversations that were both stimulating and stress-free; as soon as the first nervous mistake was made, he started looking for an escape. Being compromised around others was a position that Hirem sought to avoid, whenever possible.

And this was, quite possibly, the most compromising position that he had ever found himself in.

In a way, the fact that he was stressing overmuch about one unfortunately placed rash struck him as more than a little funny. I've been afraid for my life more often than not, and have lived a past that others might call horrific. I've fretted about death, doubt, confusion, loss and hope time and time again... and here I am, worrying the most about what the healer will think of my little rash. However, for every fraction of himself that wanted to laugh at this predicament, there were two more that were screaming out in frustration. Oh gods, how will I explain where I got it? What if they ask if it's from the brothel - how can I convince them otherwise? In fact... where did I get it? Is this some strange disease that the native Cyphrans are immune to? Even worse, does everyone have it and just refuse to discuss it? What if it's uncurable? What if drastic measures have to be taken and it falls off, or turns green, or -

The door suddenly exploded with sound. Hirem's flustered nerves stood no chance; in a surprising rush of panic, the Benshira threw himself farther up the bed, kicked his legs up, and let out a shrill scream. "Who's there?!" He howled in a strangely high-pitched voice, resembling more a woman than a man at that tense moment. Almost immediately after he uttered this, his mind managed to correct its frenzied state, realizing that the sound he had heard was simply a knock on the door. Meaning that the healer is... On cue, the door opened up, revealing a comely, white-haired woman that was softly showing herself in. The Benshira's dark cheeks burned like the setting desert sun. The gods are surely taunting me. I haven't even presented my rash for treatment and already my fate is contriving itself into a farce.

Ignoring his rising sense of deep, burdensome humiliation, Hirem instead tried to occupy his attention with the newly arrived healer. He first thought he recognized her, from the white clothes that she wore to the lightness of her hair. Natalia, he remarked to himself, wondering if he had managed to find his saviour once more. But the second look he gave towards her destroyed that possibility, for this woman - Alaia, as she soon identified herself - was lacking the telltale horns of the Ethaefal and instead possessed entirely different features: scales. A Konti, he then undestood, remembering his encounter with Kavala just a week ago. Her gills are more prominent, and her body far smaller than Kavala's, yet there is no doubt that both descend from the White Isle. The Benshira could hardly believe his luck, for seven dizzying weeks in Riverfall had brought him into contact with more inhuman races than twenty-nine years in Eyktol combined. Two Konti, three Ethaefal, a whole host of Akalak... this city must be truly be blessed by the gods.

Realizing that he had not yet answered her, and instead was only staring at the poor woman oddly, he cleared his throat and bowed his head. "Ah... I am Hirem. Hirem, from the tents of Alachi, of the sons of Rapa," he quickly corrected. "Falim, Alaia. It is good to meet you. Pardon my screams, I was... worrying myself without due cause. It is nothing to concern yourself with." Now the far more difficult question hung in the air: "Would you mind telling me or showing me what is bothering you today and we can go from there…" His cheeks were still raw red; taking a deep breath, Hirem wondered how best to begin. If this were a sword wound, or a sprained ankle, I would be quick to point out the damage... if the offending rash were just moved slightly in any direction, I would not fear revealing it...

There was nothing for it: he just had to start speaking and let Alaia know the truth. "I have a - a rash, that I just noticed a bell ago, on my... lower body. It pains me to touch it, let alone walk. I was hoping that you might treat it." Then, feeling as if she had no other way of understanding - for he certainly could not voice the problem aloud - Hirem pushed himself off the bed and stood before her. She is very, very small, he realized dimly, noting that he was at least a foot taller than the petite Konti. His hands, fumbling, went to the cord belt around his breeches and untied it, sliding it off and onto the bed. He next pushed down his breeches until they were piled around his ankles, leaving him bare save for his smallclothes. This is the most naked I've ever been around a stranger in... I have lost track of the years. A shiver came across him then, making his knees quake and his hands to shake at his sides. From Alaia's perspective, she could see the rash spreading down his legs and inner thighs... and with even a simple look, could realize where the worst of it was located.

"...This is the rash." Hirem said nervously after a few moments of awkward silence. "Can it be healed?"

Dares :
Dare completed: Hirem has successfully screamed like a little girl.

Word Count :

My PCs:
Hirem
Hirem
The golden age is over.

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Alaia on June 30th, 2014, 9:15 pm

The scream that had issued from the man’s throat when she knocked made Alaia jump; she wasn’t used to such panic in someone’s voice when she was coming to treat them. Perhaps he was scared of healers? The thought occurred to her making her lips pull into a frown because that would really only make her life a lot harder. Despite the thoughts that this man might be more difficult because of his panic Alaia kept a calm expression even as he stared at her she simply waited for him to speak. Maybe he wasn’t used to Konti’s especially when her gills weren’t hidden by her hair like they usually were outside of work and the fact she had a gnosis mark on her face. She waited until finally he spoke and when the timbre of his voice reached her ears she smiled softly.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you as well Hirem.” That was a kind common phrasing though she doubted he thought it was a pleasure to him considering he was in for medical treatment and usually that meant pain or discomfort. It was his next words that made her give him an honest grin that reached her soft blue eyes, in fact she laughed softly unable to help it. “I’ve heard worse, I simply feared I’d have to restrain you so I could make sure you were properly taken care of.” She was teasing him, slightly, to make the air in the room lighter and so that hopefully he’d feel more comfortable showing her what the problem was.

The rash he described made her eyebrow arch curiously, she saw no rashes on his exposed skin currently even as she looked him over again to double check she didn’t miss something realization slowly dawned on her when he said his lower body. Alaia was allotted no time to react or even inquire more on the rashes, suddenly he was pushing himself off the bed to stand p before her. Taking a step back the Konti looked up at him and was suddenly hit with the towering posture of his height, he didn’t look that tall when he was on the exam bed and now that he was looming over her she had to force herself back into the mind of a medic. She was dwarfed by him not just in height but he was a rather large in the sense that it was clear he kept close in honoring his body just like the Akalak did. If they had met outside of the medical center that initial realization of his size versus her own would have been intimidating but she had to ignore it here at work.

She lowered her gaze to the movements of his hands as he untied his pants and then let them drop around his ankles. A frown crossed her lips and she was back in the calm, detached mind she typically had when healing or examining someone. The rash was an angry red from being disturbed by clothing and his walk to the medical center, she could tell and she traveled her gaze from where it tapered off on his lower legs and up to where it seemed to thrive under the confines of his undergarments. With a deep breath she stepped closer and leaned in though she tried to keep a comfortable distance between them as she peered closer. There were clear bumps she could see within the heat of the affected area and her head tilted slightly to one side. He was shaking and she wasn’t sure if that was from nerves or from pain.

“Hirem …” When she spoke she rose back up to her full, unimpressive, height and looked him in the eye so that she was speaking healer to patient rather than healer to wounds, she always thought it was more personal and comforting that way. “I’m going to need you to remove your under clothes as the rash goes beyond my line of vision.” There was a slight apology in her voice since she could only imagine how uncomfortable he was standing before her, well she could imagine how uncomfortable she’d be to have someone examining her naked at least. “Once you’ve done that you may lie back down if it is more comfortable for you.”

Chewing her bottom lip in thought she ran through different types of rashes in her head and slowly narrowed it down for lack of any really detrimental symptoms from what she could first tell. “I’m going to ask you a few questions before I assume to know what is wrong though I’ll assure you it can be healed if not by means of Rak’keli then by sheer medical knowledge.” She grinned at him then and moved to lean her lower back against a nearby table and smoothed out her shirt while he settled however he wanted to. “What types, if any, of intercourse have you had lately? Have you been in contact with anything ….unusual in your private region?’ She knew the questions were uncomfortable but they had to be asked. “Any plants you’re not usually in contact with? You may be allergic to something and I’d just like to rule out the possibilities though I believe it is simple heat rash which is not uncommon with the weather we are having.”

Alaia

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Featured Character (1)

Postby Hirem on July 2nd, 2014, 2:15 am

Is this... standard Gilia practice? Hirem wondered, completely and horribly embarrassed, as Alaia stepped close to him and peered down at his rash-struck areas. He considered covering up his legs with his hands to further avoid humiliation, but that would only hinder the poor woman's efforts to try and fix the problem. Ordinarily, he would agree that a healer needed to be able to comfortably and thoroughly examine afflicted areas if they were presented with a rash similar to what he currently bore. For how else could the blight be cured, if not through careful study? Ordinarily, he would have no problems with one such as Alaia getting all the time she needed to examine his rash, but today was different. Today, a pretty Konti girl was leaning down to stare intently at his crotch, forcing Hirem to consider praying to even Rhysol if it might make the woman back off. By the gods, what sin have I wreaked that deserves this punishment?

When Alaia rose back to her full height, the Benshira thought he could breathe easy, already reaching back down for his dropped breeches. Now, I must get dressed, get healed, and leave the Medical Center as fast as possible in order to remove myself from this horrible position. But her next words dashed his hopes bloody against the wall: “I’m going to need you to remove your under clothes as the rash goes beyond my line of vision,” making the horrible request sound sweet with her quiet voice. Though it was an extremely simple task with, frankly, little consequence, Hirem couldn't ignore the choking apprehension that was welling up within him. Thoughts of stripping completely in front of another person, even if it was in the interests of getting himself healed, were... difficult to process. If I was entirely sure that this rash wasn't going to kill me, I would rather grit my teeth and endure the pain than suffer through this torture.

But there was nothing for it. The healer had ordered Hirem to undress, and so undress he shall. Closing his eyes in order to prevent making contact with her own bright gaze, the Benshira fumblingly reached to his waist and pulled his smallclothes down to rejoin the breeches - then, still feeling clumsy and awkward and foolish, he stepped free of the clothes and threw them into a pile on the floor. A shiver came upon him then, making his legs rattle and his hips grind uncomfortably against his body... which was strange, considering that Riverfall was currently undergoing an unprecedented heat wave. His gaze was drawn to hers, anxiously awaiting her reaction. I am thirty years old, and yet act to an inquisitive stare like a shrinking flower, bending under the sun's intimidating gaze. The desert has doomed me. He stood still in front of her for a few moments, blind to her earlier offer that he lay down - then, with a sudden start, he nodded and threw his back graciously onto the bed.

He had hoped now that he might gain some reprieve from the onslaught, that he might be able to close his eyes and drift into a quiet trance that Alaia might not disturb him in, but apparently the healer needed yet more information from him. “I’m going to ask you a few questions before I assume to know what is wrong though I’ll assure you it can be healed if not by means of Rak’keli then by sheer medical knowledge.” This statement caused Hirem's brow to furrow, and he shot Alaia a quiet, so-help-me glance. Are you sure that Rak'keli will be of aid? He's already failed me once, the Benshira thought jokingly, remembering his earlier encounter with a Konti. Then, with a deep sigh, his gaze flicked back to the roof, his teeth grit together, and he gave a quiet nod. Ask your questions. I have nothing to be shamed over.

"What types, if any, of intercourse have you had lately? Have you been in contact with anything ….unusual in your private region?"

Intercourse? Hirem didn't recognize the strange Common word. Could she mean...?

Oh.

Oh.

The thought flustered the Benshira, and he looked over to her. "No!" He exclaimed, a little too quickly for him to be considered calm. Then, realizing his alarm, Hirem took a breath and shook his head. "Ah, no. I haven't... intercoursed in many, many years." She must think that I acquired this rash at the brothel! He wondered if, from the outside, he appeared to be a man that frequented such sinful establishments. No matter how far I end up falling in this life or the next, I know that I will never fall that far. It was a wonder that he could tolerate living in a city that harbored a vice like prostitution. But it was more than the implication that he had gotten infected by a brothel worker that set the Benshira off-balance; the idea of sex in general intimidated him. My damnable crusade prevented me from finding a wife in Yahebah, and the pleasures that beckoned in Ahnatep disgusted me. And... and... He vaguely remembered something that had happened in the past that was akin to lovemaking, but he could not concentrate on the details. Whenever he attempted to focus on the memory, it slipped away from him... as if it belonged to another man, ever-fleeting in his grasp.

The rest of her questions didn't strike a chord with Hirem either. "No, I've not touched anything to my - private region, and while the plants in this city are strange to me, I've not reacted to them so far." Groaning in frustration, the Benshira put a hand up to his head. "I didn't see the rash until just this evening! Nothing else happened to me this evening!" His last words came out harsher than intended, fueled by his insurmountable embarrassment and defensive attitude towards her, on reflection, routine medical questions. Breathing out the last of his frustration, Hirem became abashed, and hung his head low. "I-I am sorry, Alaia. This is strange for me to deal with. But I speak truthfully when I say that I do not understand what caused this."

My PCs:
Hirem
Hirem
The golden age is over.

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Alaia on July 5th, 2014, 2:41 pm

The man seemed to be wrestling with her words which only made Alaia’s lips pull into a frown. Did she say something wrong in common? Worry spread through her veins at the thought and a blush flourished up onto her cheeks at the possible embarrassing situation that would cause. Her hands knotted in the hem of her white tunic as she fretted over what she may have possibly said wrong but her worries were quickly squashed when he started talking. The tone in his voice did nothing to erase the frown on her lips though she did stop fidgeting with her shirt and wait patiently for him to stop barking at her in his worry. She had offended him with her questions, at least that’s how it seemed to her and even when he apologized for his tone of voice she would just incline her head at him acknowledging his apology as she digested his words.

He hadn’t had sex in years, at least that cleared that up and she didn’t have to worry about any diseases or anything of the like. He could be lying about that, though she didn't think so and after looking at the rash even if he was it didn’t matter as she was sure it was just a really extreme case of a heat rash and that could be solved without much effort on her part and none on his. Taking a deep breath she pushed herself from her spot in the room and moved over to him finally offering him a soft smile that reached her eyes “You don’t need to apologize Hirem, I think I would have reacted a little bit worse in your shoes to be honest.” She reached out and gently touched his shoulder as a way to offer comfort letting her fingers stay on the cloth of his shirt so that she didn’t get over taken by her gift just yet.

“I’m going to heal the rash, when I’m done you should make sure you don’t have clothes that rub too much on your skin, in this heat that’s the worst thing you can have. Try to stay as cool as possible as well though with the area in question being such a target for friction on everyone I know that is harder in practice then in words.” She moved to the end of the bed he was laying on so she could start at his feet figuring that would be more comfortable for him to get used to her touch. “If you want you can close your eyes. You’ll feel my hands on your rash and some heat as I heal you…” she paused and then added to him with a sideways grin “Sorry about the heat, I know it’s hot enough already.”

Alaia faced his legs fully now she closed her eyes slowly as she pulled her breath into her lungs in longer, deeper inhales to slow down her own heart rate and prepare herself for the healing and for the act that she was about to be touching his skin. When her hands finally did fall on the ankle closest to her it was with a touch as light as a feather and her breath caught in her throat just as it always did when her gift took the reins on what she was experiencing. Impressions of his need to do good with future actions berated her temples and her thoughts, she couldn’t see exactly what path he would be walking or what actions these intentions were attached to because the visions were to muddled but she had the overwhelming sense he wanted nothing more than his actions to lead to something good. There was a bitter taste behind the desire to do good – something sad deep inside of him that fanned the flame of the good intentions but she couldn’t quite put her finger on it.

Shaking her head to herself she pushed his intentions away for now though they were constantly buzzing in the background as she focused on her ability to heal. Her mind shifted to her silent prayers to Rak’keli, thanking her for her blessing and praying for Hirem as well. She felt it like a soft vibration in her chest at first, blossoming out from her heart and through her veins. The thrumming was followed quickly by soothing warmth that always made her feel truthfully more alive than anything else. Even in the heat of the summer she did not mind the feeling of her abilities stretching through her veins and running to the tips of her hands on Hirem’s ankle.

As Rak’keli’s healing found Alaia’s palms her palms emitted a soft light that would be barely noticeable when her hands were placed against his bare skin. She could feel the heat not only from her own magic but from his rash, like a localized fever on his skin. The Konti healer could see the inflammation even with her eyes closed, it was almost like she was navigating the rash with her mind’s eye and she focused on it with precision. The heat from her hands would spread against his skin in a soothing manner even in the heat. Slowly the chimes would pass and Alaia’s hands would move farther up his calf, in the wake of her touch the rash being healed and probably cool in comparison to what it had felt like before. “What do you do for a living Hirem?” She finally spoke after the long silence, her eyes still closed and she was just beneath his knee now. She was just hoping to get to know him more, his intentions nagging at her and perking her curiosity of the male beneath her healing hands.

Alaia

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Featured Character (1)

Postby Hirem on July 6th, 2014, 8:38 am

Oh gods, how monstrous can I become?

It only took one look at Alaia for Hirem to know that he had done something truly awful in snapping at her. It took only one look at her flushed cheeks, her impatient hands, her frowning face to know that he had apparently caused her some distress. What have I done? She is not the cause of my discomfort. She did nothing to harm me. The poor woman is only trying to help. Remembering how suspicious he had first been of Kavala - the woman that had helped save his troubled mind and steer him on a righteous path - Hirem grew ever more abashed knowing that he had treated another Konti the same way. In fact, it was worse knowing that he had unsettled Alaia, for there was a vulnerability present in her that the Benshira had come dangerously close to treading roughshod over. Compared to the usual denizen of Riverfall, who laughed at danger and scoffed at weakness, Alaia seemed unusually delicate, and he did not wish to trample over such sweetness in a city that did not accommodate it well.

In fact, Hirem was beginning to become aware of a growing fondness he held in his heart for the Konti, a remarkable fact considering their obvious non-human qualities. His memory was still thick with warnings given by his family about the races that strayed outside of the human dominion - Don't trust a woman with scales, his grandmother had once advised, for there's no telling what secrets her cold heart will keep - but all of these prejudices were slowly being unproven by the remarkable kindness that the race displayed. True, he was still off-put by their unusual appearance, but the sight of a new Konti approaching filled him more with a sense of relief than anything else. In a strange way, the women of the White Isle reminded him of his own race, the proud Benshira matrons drawing a few close parallels with the white-haired sorceresses. Both were kind, generous, and more than filled with their own special kind of wisdom and composure... the only difference being, the Konti had a greater reputation for meekness than stubbornness.

Thinking upon this made Hirem feel even worse about what he had said to Alaia in a moment of frustration, but it seemed that the healer bore nothing but compassion in her heart. “You don’t need to apologize Hirem, I think I would have reacted a little bit worse in your shoes to be honest.” She said, reaching out to place her fingers tenderly on his shoulder. The touch was overwhelming similar to what Kavala had done just seven days before, but once again there were amazing differences between the approach the two women bore; whereas Kavala held herself high with the knowledge that she was fulfilling her correct place in the world, Alaia's gesture was more humble. More relatable. Breathing out a low gust of air at the touch, Hirem leaned his head back against the bed and stared, wordlessly, up to the ceiling. To be treated sweetly by a stranger... to be cared for, even in such a small way as a gentle hand upon his shoulder... it was worth a thousand years of peace to the oft-troubled Benshira.

Taking her up on the suggestion to close his eyes, Hirem shut his gaze to the world and reclined back in the bed, doing his best to get comfortable for the actual healing procedure. Deep breaths, he warned himself, wary of becoming anxious upon her trying to heal his embarrassing rash. Deep breaths, think of your prayers, imagine the desert wind blowing softly against your face. Settling his features into a relaxed state, releasing all the tension in his body until it was bleeding into his breath, the Benshira did his best to ignore the healer standing beside him. He even managed to succeed for a time, at least until she placed her hand upon his ankle. At that first touch, a ripple of nervous energy shot through his body and made him quake instinctively, his teeth grinding against each other. He couldn't remember the last time foreign hands touched his bare legs. Control yourself, Hirem, he sternly called out in his mind, or else Alaia will believe you to be nothing more than a lust-ridden fool.

But he could not help himself; the air was too hot, the rash too sensitive, the touch too alien, and the healing powers too sweet for Hirem to withstand. He shuddered like a child caught in a rainstorm, his shoulders gently quaking and his face struggling to remain composed, features twitching and settling back into shape. After having been graced with Rak'keli's gift before, the Benshira was grateful to receive its wonderful power yet again, even if it was noticeably weaker in Alaia's hands. What was truly unbearable was the sensation of Alaia's soft touch travelling up his hardened calves and brittle knees, and knowing that such a pretty young woman was laying her hands upon his bare flesh. Gods, even just having my clothes off in front of a stranger is difficult to reconcile. It felt physically comfortable, but his mind was struggling to deal with the intimacy of the situation.

In order to distract himself from Alaia, Hirem decided to answer her earlier question: “What do you do for a living Hirem?” "A living?" He quietly asked, opening his eyes again and staring at the roof. "Until just a season ago, paid work was not life for me. Before coming here, to Cyphrus, I had no 'job'. My purpose, as I had thought in my youth, was elsewhere. In Eyktol, life was... the sun's rage on your brow, the hunger in your belly, the thirst in your throat. My living was survival, and all the challenges each fresh day brought me." He shook his head slowly. "But at the same time, Eyktol was not life. There was life in the region, flourishing life of great colour and tremendous spirit, but I turned away from it nine years ago. I threw myself into the desert and confined myself there, and spent the best years of my youth struggling to endure its endless trials." The words came gushing out of his mouth before he could reconsider them, his mind driven by a singular desire to focus on something, anything!, other than Alaia's healing.

"But you were not asking for that story. You were asking about my employment." Chuckling quietly, he rested his hands on his chest and took a deep breath. "I work at the Rat Hole down on the lower tier, as a bouncer. I was hired solely for my strength, for the tavern owners cared little for my integrity. That is good, for my integrity would never have permitted I work at the place: the Rat Hole is a crime-infested den of wolves with little in the way of decency within its filthy walls. I long to see it burned to cinders. But you would be wondering why I work there, yes?" He sighed, tapping his fingers against his slowing heart. "I believe that I can yet do some good there. Maybe my presence will allow Yahal's light to shine into the hearts of the wicked and persuade them to reform - if not, I will always protect the lives of the foolish from being stained upon another's blade. I've broken up more fights than I count... hopefully, that has meant that I have saved some lives from immediate destruction."

"In a way, we both do our part to save lives. Although I much prefer your method, to be honest."

My PCs:
Hirem
Hirem
The golden age is over.

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Alaia on July 7th, 2014, 12:22 am

Alaia felt the shivering of the grown man’s body beneath her hands, peeking open an eye briefly she looked up at him to see if he was alright and aside from his closed eyes and the tension on his face. “Does it hurt?” She asked carefully, her hands pausing on his calf in worry, no one had ever told her it hurt before but maybe the rash was more sensitive then she had originally thought. Her mind never wandered to the fact that maybe the touch stirred any lustful thoughts in him, it just wasn’t where her mind first went when people reacted to her touch because well that was an area she was pretty much unexperienced in. Perhaps that was for the better though, her innocence in any such matter, because if she had even suspected such things she may have officially freaked out. Sure, it’s not like she hadn’t seen a man aroused before since it happened at times when she was working on a wound and they were conscious and not quite enough in pain but that was never were her mind first went.

He began speaking and a faint smile crossed her lips and she closed the single eye she had peeked open while her hands slid up to the next section of his leg. Her voice filled her mind, squashing the sensation of his intentions that were battering her. She listened to him speak of where he came from, Ekytol, she did not know about the area personally but his description sounded the complete opposite of her own upbringing. Mura was peace and serenity and it led to living a life full of both things. Despite their opposite upbringings they both had apparently felt a need to leave the lands of their birth for various reasons. He left for the desert and that made her look up to him, her hands on his knees now as she worked her way up his leg. “Why would you put yourself through such hardships? Why would you purposefully push yourself into the bowels of the world without promise of coming out on the other side?” She wanted to know, there was no pity in her voice but the need to know was clear in her tone, she wanted to understand his choice.

When he brought up his employment she didn’t correct him, she had wanted to learn more about his living not his employment but if he talked enough she might answer that question without her reasking it. She was eager to learn about the dark skinned man so she let him talk as she turned her attention to his thigh next. Alaia had never been at the Rat Hole, perhaps she really was a bit of a prude but it just wasn’t her scene and the chance of touching people especially people who were associated as patrons with that place was not something she wanted. She was shocked to hear he worked there though the explanation of his strength gave her, her answer before she could be bothered asking. He was strong, she could feel his muscles beneath her hands even in this relaxed state and when he called attention to them she fought the awkwardness that wanted to creep into her own bones because his words made her notice the power of his limbs and that was an inappropriate thing to notice as a healer. Chewing the inside of her cheek she opened her eyes once more to look over at him when he claimed the reason he worked there was to hopefully offer some good to the place, it was as if he was answering her unspoken questions as well and she couldn’t help but explore his face with her eyes as if she was slowly understanding the man she had just met even if he didn’t realize how many things he was revealing to her and her touch.

“I believe you.” She stated in response to his last statement and by then her hands were lifting off his leg finished with his rash on that entire leg, she only had his other leg and his private region to take care of now. Instead of moving for the most sensitive of the pair she walk around the other side of where he lay and she started back at his ankle. Again her hands were warm, a soft glow emitting from her palms as she laid her hands on his ankle and closed her eyes once more, she didn’t have to close her eyes of course but she felt it was easier for the both of them this way.

“I grew up in Mura.” She offered slowly before she continued, her slow spoken common would be much more prominent the longer she spoke. “I don’t understand why you would have given yourself a harder life by living in the desert but I do understand wanting to leave where you came from.” She paused and then added “Maybe we didn’t leave under the same circumstances but we both still had the desire for one reason or the other.” She nodded lightly and moved her hands as she spoke, in between sentences she’d preplan her next words so that everything came out right. “Mura is much different then what you have described as your childhood, I wish it could have been easier for you. I love Mura but it was too soft and to predictable …” She paused and then grinned before laughing softly – the laugh causing her expression to relax completely for the first time since she met him. “Working here is definitely not predictable, though maybe in a different way than your job I do think I’d prefer mine as well.” She winked teasing him before adjusting her position on his leg again.

“I moved to Riverfall in Spring 513….” She bit her bottom lip in thought, normally she didn’t talk so openly to patients but it wasn’t every day she was healing a heat rash from ankle to waist on a man as well so she figured she could make an exception. “….In a lot of ways Riverfall is similar to Mura but it’s so much busier and full of a different energy I find joy in it. I like to draw people here, they all have a different energy.” Alaia was at his thigh now healing the skin there as her voice fell off for a chime as she finished up on his other thigh and then pulled her hands away from his hot skin and she smoothed out the hem of her shirt briefly “I’m going to finish the healing process then you’re all set and I’ll leave you be. Will you tell me about your God? I admit I don’t know this one…” She figured asking him to explain who he worshiped would help distract him for when she would move to the last of his rash though she wouldn’t touch him again until he began speaking.

Alaia

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Featured Character (1)

Postby Hirem on July 7th, 2014, 9:57 pm

“Does it hurt?” Alaia asked, and Hirem could only shake his head fervently in response. It doesn't hurt... by the gods, Rak'keli's presence is the most comforting sensation I've ever known. The power of the two Konti healers - Kavala and Alaia - was unlike anything that he had ever before experienced, for it was something that was purely, simply, powerfully good in nature. Though it was magic, it was magic that he could not imagine being used for a malicious purpose, as the Benshira often feared the supernatural gifts would be utilized for. The fact that it stemmed from such a benevolent god - he respected Yahal before any other deity, but Rak'keli was swiftly growing to become important to Hirem as well - only made the gift of healing easier to accept. In fact, he feared that he'd grow dependent upon Rak'keli's Gnosis in order to survive, for it soothed his body's troubles and his mind's stress more than any natural cure he had experienced in this city of the unknown. How blessed Alaia must be, in order to be granted such an amazing tool to help others!

But it was more than just the healing Gnosis that affected him. The healer's touch was soft and comforting and delicate, everything that he had been deprived of for almost four years. For the entirety of that time, every sensation the Benshira had experienced had been corrupted by the harshness of the desert. There was nothing graceful about the Burning Lands; everything was hard, rough, bitter, biting, crude. There was no tenderness. Hirem's legs had become more accustomed to being strained by constant walking, bathed in rough sand during a Hik-Zulrav, blistered by the constant heat whenever he was unlucky enough to have them get exposed. And while others that traversed the deadly wilds of Eyktol had friends, lovers, family that they could feel comfortable with, Hirem had robbed himself of those precious comforts. He had drawn a curtain around his mind that shielded his raw soul from the sight of others, pushed them away when the sensible course was to draw them closer. He had done this out of a single-minded belief that he deserved this treatment - that he deserved to be punished - and he had suffered for this attitude. And now here he was, shivering like a newborn at the simple touch of fingers upon his thighs.

“Why would you put yourself through such hardships? Why would you purposefully push yourself into the bowels of the world without promise of coming out on the other side?" Alaia asked, and Hirem knew that he didn't have an adequate answer for her. The only possible explanation he had was - "Love," he breathed, glancing his bright eyes downwards, to meet her own with a quiet gaze. "The love that I bore for Yahal compelled me to follow him into the world. Love... and duty, yes. Love, duty, faith; truly, everything that I am is tied into the cause of my god. And everything that I am not, allowed me to leave my home." He sighed, and shook his head. "But I am misleading you: Yahebah, the city of the Benshira, was not truly my home. I lived there for a long time and loved it dearly, but I don't belong there anymore. What I have done in my past, the mistakes that I have made... divorced me from my people entirely. Though they have forgiven me, I was not able to forgive myself in their presence. You think that it was some great sacrifice on my part to live in the desert alone, but you don't understand. It was all that I could do."

Deciding to refrain from speaking more, Hirem instead opted to listen to Alaia as she explained more of her history to him. He listened as she described to him her decision to leave the White Isle, which in his mind sounded like the closest thing to paradise earthly Mizahar could ever hope to host. An island of healing, where Rak'keli's judgement reigns supreme... blessed is the soul that finds his path ending on the isle of the Konti. But apparently, Alaia didn't share his views on that, which he supposed that he could understand. Young souls, after all, invariably feel that overpowering urge to leave the homestead and push their frontiers outwards. “Mura is much different then what you have described as your childhood, I wish it could have been easier for you." At this, the Benshira wanted to laugh. It was easy for me. When one has only ever experienced life in the desert, life anywhere else is considered impossible.

The words, “I’m going to finish the healing process then you’re all set and I’ll leave you be.", filled Hirem with relief. The sooner I'm free of this enchanting healer, the better. My knees are tired of quaking. But then she asked him a favor that he was powerless to refuse: "Will you tell me about your God?" Glancing up towards the ceiling, the Benshira closed his eyes and smiled softly to himself. Oh Yahal, your tests are difficult, but have grown predicable. Have you grown sedentary in your old age? He asked teasingly. Unlike earlier in the season when he had attempted to preach directly to the streets of Riverfall, Hirem felt the words to describe his god coming easily to mind. Perhaps it was thanks to the relief that Alaia had provided him, or perhaps it was because Hirem dearly wanted this kindly Konti to understand more of his faith. I can only hope that Yahal will provide others comfort as he has provided me with purpose.

"My god is named Yahal, but it is more accurate to call him my father. He watches over the Benshira as his children, and serves as the mentor that we all strive to appease. You Rivarians would know him only as the god of faith and purity, and in a sense that is all he holds mastery over, but to the people of Eyktol he is so much more. He is..." Hirem paused, cursing his own unfamiliarity with the Common tongue. That he had managed to speak eloquently so far had required a great deal of effort from his straining mind. How to explain the wind when one has never felt its breeze before? "He is the road that forms underneath my feet. I cannot see where it is heading, but I can see the next step in front of me. By taking that step, I am telling Yahal that I will trust in him, that I will trust that the path he has created will lead me to where I am meant to be. Belief in him is hard, for he will not reward you for simply adhering to his will. You must constantly devote yourself to his faith. You must prove that you are loyal to him, and he will prove loyal to you. Others call him a jealous god, but he is the only divinity that I can dedicate myself to completely."

My PCs:
Hirem
Hirem
The golden age is over.

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Alaia on July 9th, 2014, 12:26 am

Love.

The word stretched from his lips and Alaia was rocked back on her heels not having expected that answer when he gave some light as to why he put himself through hard times. Love. That was the most breathtaking response he probably could have given her. She didn’t even know what to say in response, perhaps no response was needed and if this had been a conversation between friends rather than acquaintances and words held over a dinner table rather than a medical table she probably would have squeezed his hand in a simple response. “Beautiful.” She whispered under her breath. Pure love for ones god drove him to such an extreme life and she admired such dedication.

He continued to speak and his words affected something deep inside her and as he explained she couldn’t help but find herself unexpectedly attached to the man beneath her hands. His words were full of wisdom that seemed far beyond his years though she couldn’t actually tell how old he was. “I don’t believe where you grow up is your home.” She murmured quietly in agreement of his words when he claimed that the city of his people was not his home. “I believe home is where your soul wishes to be.” She added as an afterthought. Riverfall was slowly gaining her heart, becoming her home and it made her wonder where he considered his home – the desert? Riverfall? Maybe to him he belonged nowhere? The thought was troubling and sad to the Konti and she closed her eyes to hide the sadness in her clear blue eyes.

When she asked him about his god she opened her eyes just long enough to see the smile cross his lips and it made her own mirror the curved pleasure on her face. Closing her eyes again she let his voice fill the room as her hands moved to the last part of his rash she pulled her healing powers back into her palms and let the warmth flow through as she touched him even lighter this time. It was even possible while he was lost in speaking he might not feel her touch but the warmth that accompanied them. She was patient when he seemed to not know the right common word to speak, she didn’t mind especially since common wasn’t her native tongue either so she understood that frustration very well. With each word he spoke she uttered her own silent prayer to her own goddess, once more being thankful for everything Rak’keli had to offer her and her patients.

By the time he was done speaking she was pulling her hands away from the sensitive part of his body and she was stepping away from the table so that she could give him her back and move to search a cabinet in the room. “You may get dressed now.” She was giving him his privacy to put his clothes back on as she responded to everything he said. “Your devotion to your God is one of the most beautiful things I’ve heard in a long time. You have started my day wonderfully Hirem, I am thankful for that.” Alaia searched the cabinet before she found what she was looking for, a few sprigs of Tolm. The herb was used in teas to help ease pain and relax muscles, she was only giving him enough in a small jar for one use. Grasping it in her hand she waited until she was sure she heard any clothing rustling stop before she turned around and moved back to him with a soft smile. “Here, this should help if you find yourself getting another rash. You can use them in a tea, it's enough for one cup. Enough to get you here without so much pain if you find youself in a similar situation. Once you drink the tea come straight here to be properly healed or you can hurt yourself more then you think you are.” The Konti's tone was a bit scolding as if she expected him to avoid the medical center if he wasn't feeling any pain.

She chewed her bottom lip briefly and glanced up at his face as she took another step back to keep a respectful distance between them while her hands clasped before her in a neat little knot of webbed fingers. “It was a pleasure getting to know you Hirem. You’re free to go … I won’t keep you any longer I’m sure you had a long enough wait before I came into the room.” She didn’t really want to stop the conversations they had been having but she had more patients to wait on and if she were him she knew she wouldn’t be able to leave the room fast enough. Hopefully this wouldn’t be the last time she saw him however.

HerbFrequency: Common, Frequency: Any Hills and Lower Mountains, Harvest Type: Perennial Tom has a strong scent and grows on slim, erect stems with long hairy saw-toothed leaves topped in summer by light red flower combs and bunches. It is most often used in teas or tonics to ease pain, aid sleep and relax aching muscles. L1 herbalism to identify and harvest. (copied from the price list description)

Alaia

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes