PM to join [Quest] The History Of The Future

The heat wave in Riverfall continues, Leth rises, and the tides drop to an all time record low exposing something new and something very old to the world.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

[Quest] The History Of The Future

Postby Gossamer on June 16th, 2014, 6:37 am

"Xhyvas keep me close. Since you have gone from the world and the power has bled out of my marks, the possibilities for the future seem... diminished somehow. With your great spirit gone, life isn't the same. And so I will slumber, perhaps forever, in these fields of gold until a better sunrise warms my flesh and calls me home." The man said softly, out loud, before he overlooked the long slender tube that would be his tomb and ran its hands down its sleek lines. Then he gently slipped his thumb over a glowing gem and the cover slid seamlessly back on the tube. It was certainly no better than a coffin. But for all that, the man turned away, sat down upon the cushions, and slipped sideways where he reclined. Glass slipped back into place soundlessly as the chamber within the tube pressurized and colored gemstones lit up. Peacefully the man's eyelids flickered, slowly his pupils ceased their wandering as his lids dropped to protect them. The rise and fall of his chest slowly leveled out as he drifted soundlessly off to sleep.

Around him his carefully crafted world changed. It was sacred vouched space and should have been untouchable. But it wasn't. And as time passed above him, violence struck, Gods died and rose, and the ripples of the living world flooded to the Ukalas and changed the fields of gold to something else, something darker.

And still he slumbered... waiting...

33rd of Summer, 514 AV

The cries of blue gulls wheeling overhead could be heard above the whipping of the sea wind. The beach was not exactly crowded. It was too hot for that. But still, people had turned out and had been turning out all day to marvel at the record low tides and search among the seafloor that normally wasn't exposed. The harvest was good. And even though the vine harvest had been poor to middling this year in Riverfall, the summer had still proved to be bountiful. If only the heat would break.

It was oppressive, restrictive, and kept people inside and deep in the bowels of the cliffs where it was cool during the hottest part of the day. Riverfall had turned into a city of dawn and dusk players, with businesses closing during the day and staying open late into the cooler nights. Temperatures easily soared into the hundreds, and even down by the ocean where there were winds, no relief could be found.

The winds were hot an felt like they were fueled straight from Ivak's breath.

And with Leth so painfully close, the weather so odd, and the Suvan almost sluggish in its motion... the tides receded. They pulled back to their furthest point and kept going, retreating and retreating, creating land bridges to island and exposing land that hadn't seen the light of day since the Valterrian. Some even claimed, some of Svefra blood, that the ocean was shallow in the gut and couldn't be navigated by a heavy hulled ship.

It might have been true. Standing at Riverfall's mouth, Plunge Pool Bay was isolated and a river ran from the bay out into the Suvan... so far the tide had retreated. Sea creatures that depending on the mixed fresh and salt water of the bay had long since departed as fresh won out over salt.

And south of Riverfall, well out to what used to be the Suvan Sea... a paved set of stones lead from the old tideline west into ruins that were suddenly exposed. It could have been a temple on the outskirts of a city of old. Or it could have been the very top portion of an ancient citadel... no one knew. And many people were too afraid to go explore. The tides could come in at any moment. The Gods could flood the land and kill any air breathers caught out clambering through the scattered broken stones and leftover columns. Even the Konti in the area had denied knowledge of the thing, but it was obvious why they'd missed it. The stone pavers weren't even visible to the land dwellers until the sun had baked the sea life off them and scavengers had carried the remaining detritus away for food. Only then had the stone been exposed and recognized for what it was...

It was a road... leading out to pillars that were some standing some laying scattered.. and beyond that was a structure, domed and circular like some of the rest of Riverfall. It seemed to beckon folks to come look... explore... pace the length of the road to see where it lead.

BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Hirem on June 16th, 2014, 7:55 am

As far as Hirem was concerned, Riverfall was only now experiencing what heat truly was.

The Benshira was still affected, just like everyone else, by the escalating temperature, the dryness of the evening winds, and the always-oppressive glare of Syna in the heavens above. He shunned public spaces as the summer wore on, withdrew into quieter and more comfortable domains, and cursed the stilted air that caused him to sweat even into the dark hours of the night. He could not help but be disturbed by the intense heat that overwhelmed his senses and addled his mind... but the desert-borne traveller also found a strange sense of nostalgia when he absorbed the sweltering atmosphere of the city. The climate of Riverfall is very different from Eyktol - the close proximity of sweet water convinces the body that the air will always be chilled, and makes the cold's absence more keenly felt in the dry seasons. But the scorching of one's brow in the afternoon sun, and the quenching of one's throat when thoughts drift towards refreshment... that will never truly change.

Emboldened by his familiarity with intense heat, Hirem refused to let himself be completely swayed by the weather's shift towards cruelty. He still went for runs twice every day, challenging himself to climb up the tiers of Riverfall even when the path below was blazing like fire underneath his blistered feet. Always, the Benshira felt like he would contract some form of heatstroke after his runs, so dehydrated and flushed with warmth as he invariably became, but regular check-ups to the Gilia helped to prevent him from succumbing to the fever. Regularly during the day, he would make several stops to fill his waterskin from a local watering hole and then distribute that life-giving liquid to all that he met, saving only enough to keep himself healthy. And he managed to endure the uncomfortable quarters of the Rat Hole even during the stifling day, finding that nothing in the world could eclipse the horribleness of the tavern's usual clientele.

In a peculiar manner, the heatwave made Hirem realize that he missed the desert, however life-threatening it often proved to be. Basing my life around the efforts to survive the sun's wrath and find water... it was all that I knew for a very long time. Even when the world around me was confusing and my own path seemed dark and mired with shadow, there was always the struggle for survival that I could push myself towards. Standing from the cliffs of Riverfall and staring out towards the shrinking sea, the Benshira could close his eyes and imagine that he was home; the sun blazing above was the same one that ruled over the wasteland that was Eyktol. The winds that came from the east, west, and south - add in a pinch of sand, and Hirem could relive traversing the great dunes of the Burning Lands. Pretend that what speech he could hear was in his own tongue of Shiber, and he was suddenly back in Yahebah. And if I find Rosela, I might be able to return to Ahnatep... though I don't much wish to.

What was unfamiliar to Hirem, however, was the behaviour of the Suvan Sea.

Having never lived so close to an ocean before, the Benshira was amazed to watch the Sea actually transform before his eyes, its mighty "tides" finding too great an enemy in the heatwave and retreating. Like a sand dune blowing away in the wind, the sea dips in stature, revealing things left buried long ago. He watched the Suvan in awe whenever he could, intensely curious as to what lay below its usual surface. The answer did not disappoint him: he was greeted with the sight of fresh terrain, long-submerged rocks, strange aquatic life that he had never glimpsed before. All of this may have been enough to sate his thirst for discovery, and indeed he might have been happy to accept the Suvan's wonders for what they were, had the crown jewel not broken free of the ocean's shackles - the ruined building, stranded from land and connected only by a thin, paved road to the shore.

For some reason, Hirem's heart had stopped when he first laid eyes upon that distant structure. Though he was growing quite a hunger for fresh sights and alien locales, the emotion that gripped his soul was not excitement, but fear. An ominous feeling settled over his disquiet mind whenever he cast his gaze upon the ruins, a thin prickle of dread soon following up his spine. His fear was not only due to the fact that the ruins were, exactly that, ruins - they reminded him uncomfortably of the Prison and its own shattered glory - but also because the general reaction of the city to such a sight was confusion. If people said, 'It is just part of the ruins that we know lurk outside the city', I might be pacified. But no one understands just what those buildings are. And things of the past that are unknown... do not bode well for the future.

And, perhaps predictably, walking hand-in-hand with Hirem's fear was a maddening determination. The more he thought about the ruins and how they terrified him, the more he became intent upon discovering what lay within it and thereby mastering his apprehension. I have been searching for a calling, the whole time that I have dwelt in this city. And now this strange building surfaces outside of the city, never glimpsed before, practically inviting me inside with a paved road to its doorstep. Yahal has seen fit to bring me to Riverfall... so that I might watch this building emerge from the sea?

So it was that a fool's errand found Hirem walking upon the stone pathway to the ruins, keeping his feet tightly restricted to the centre of the road, his eyes staring suspiciously at the receding tide. Perhaps this is all some cruel trick of Laviku, who hopes to swallow me up into the sea after I so crudely dealt with Atoll. If that is so, then please accept my apology, great Laviku. The Benshira kept his gaze trained to the sides as he continued his long journey to the building proper, whispering a quiet prayer to Yahal under his breath.

Word Count :

My PCs:
Hirem
Hirem
The golden age is over.

Words: 615712
Joined roleplay: November 26th, 2009, 3:50 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Donor (1)

Postby Grace Lechar on June 16th, 2014, 2:12 pm

Sorry guys, I can't commit to this thread. I know this is super annoying but just pretend I was never here ... :/
Last edited by Grace Lechar on June 26th, 2014, 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grace Lechar
Step 1: Mount the horse. Step 2: Stay on ...

Words: 79585
Joined roleplay: February 23rd, 2014, 11:33 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Prakash on June 16th, 2014, 6:06 pm

Anyone knowing the young Akalak, would say it's impossible to determine whether it was his natural curiousity or the gift from Akajia's positive Mark that drove him to the beach once he overheard a few sailors. It's odd, you never know what's coming yet hardly anyone realizes that, after all he never expected this day to bring anything but sweaty frustration and the appreciation of any light breeze coming his way. Thankfully the stars had a different path in mind and time would tell what lay hiding in the bushes...Starting out at the nearly completely deluminated bar, taking the occasional sip from his drink as he enjoyed his lazy carefree time in the darkness; The affinity towards darkness both in sight and company an apparent side effect from Akajia's blessing. It didn't take more than carelessness and a boasting sailor to get the ball rolling.

"Man, I tell ya! The sea is so far back you could walk to the end of the world and dive off The End All! You've seen it too, it's unnatural, that's what it is! Mark my words, there are things going on far beyond what our peasized minds can handle!"

"I hear ya! Worst of it all is that thing appearing from beneath the deep blue...I wouldn't go there even for a mouthful of gold!"

To emphasize his words, he grinned his teeth bare as he revealed a golden tooth, visible as a lit candle in the night; Thanks to the Akalak's nightvision, granted to him by the Divine. Prakash and Drath were both breathlessly silent as they perched their ears and tuned out all the other sounds as best as they could.

"It wouldn't surprise me if it was the lair of a sea monster, if not worse!"

The Akalak could no longer contain himself and stood up with such reckless force that he knocked over his mug and even nearly the stool. As Prakash speedwalked through the Riverfall streets, Drath egged him on, easily as excited as Prakash.

"Yes! This is what I'm talking about! A petching sea monster lair to explore! Come on now Prak, speed it up a bit!"

Usually Prakash would argue with Drath and retort, but the desire to see with his own eyes what those sailors were talking about was too strong, he started running without hesitating or holding back. Fortunately the streets were dead and empty, letting the Akalak run as hard as he could without too much interference. It didn't take him too long to reach the coastline...The surreal feeling of realizing you're not dreaming yet doubting you're awake over took him as he scanned the driven back sealine, the revealed beach was almost like a desert; Here and there were people and children playing on the beach, but very sparcely.

"Come on Prak, what are you waiting for?!"

Again without bothering to answer, he hopped over the natural line of stones carved out to form a high barrier between the sand and Riverfall's street which were built at a higher leve than the coast. Planting his sandaled feet on the hot sand, he bent his knees automaticly and rested on the palm of his hand burried beneath the sand to regain his balance. The searinghot sand felt like he was placing his feet and hand on a burning stove, but he shook off the sand and set his eyes on the real reason he was here:

A ruined templelike building maintaining a dome on its foundation, it was far away and hard to focus on, as if it was shrouded in a glob of see-through jello; The thought of exploring those ruins, conversing with shadows of the past, discovering items that hadn't been touched in ages...It was all so extremely exciting that he didn't even really felt himself run as he ran towards the mysterious 'lair'. Cursing under his breath as his eyes focused on the figures also moving towards the building; He wouldn't be the first to step foot in it. Granted, he had no idea if there were people inside the area already, his mind didn't take him so far. He hadn't even given the sudden returning of the sealine's normal state any thought.

Blissfully ignorant and excited as a child, he continued his march towards the temple
- Prakash
- Yato
- Seyral (Inactive)
Prakash
The Seeker

Words: 57247
Joined roleplay: February 23rd, 2014, 8:07 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ashar on June 18th, 2014, 7:01 pm

Ashar
33rd of Summer, 514 AV
Third Tier

Ashar had been alive for nearly thirty years, and he had never experienced such a heat wave. Early in the Summer it was somewhat bearable, but as the long days wore on while Syna baked all that was below, the heat became close to unbearable. Moving around during the day was taxing enough, and actively riding around outside the walls would only make it worse.

So, wonder of wonders, Ashar decided to not patrol today.

It's odd going through the city without a mount between our legs, Jek mused while Ashar trudged through the third tier. The docks were unusually empty of boats, though there was no shortage of people looking for respite near the waters of the Bluevein. Though I must say it was rather surprising that you haven't even bothered to go to the lodge today. Yet you still have your naginata?

I am still a Kavran, Ashar replied groggily, walking steadily toward the Suvan in the hopes that the sea breeze would refresh him slightly. Even when not on patrol I am... bound to... help Riverfall...

You know, it might be cooler in the cavern-like architecture of the second tier. The cliffs protect from the sun for the most part, and the waterfall provides some nice moisture for everyone beneath it. Plus, there are all the pretty flowers to look at. The Rose Hips would be nice to look at, a good distraction from all this heat.

Shut up, Ashar protested weakly, reaching the edge of the bay and looking out over... what he thought would be the Suvan.

In a sudden burst of energy that he knew he would regret later, Ashar jumped into where the tide should have been and ran out, a wide and unbelieving look on his face. His bare feet padded softly against the rapidly drying sand as they propelled him closer to the distant edge of the Suvan. Finally, he stopped, panting and even hotter with his recent exertion. You have got to be kidding me, he thought to himself.

What, you mean the exceptionally low tide? Jek asked. Yeah, we saw that back in the harbor. Didn't you notice how the Bluevein continued streaming down instead of pooling there in the Suvan like it usually does? It's been the talk of the city, people have been travelling up and down this beach looking for interesting things. Don't tell me you never noticed?

I was distracted. Panting, Ashar's eyes scanned the exceptionally distant shore, somehow hoping he could will it to come closer. His eyes kept traveling...

And they fell on a domed roof out at sea.

Was that there before? he asked Jek, his fatigue and the heat momentarily forgotten, overwhelmed with curiosity. He was quickly reminded though, and futilely began fanning his bare torso in an effort to stave off the intense rays.

No, Ashar, it just magically grew out of the ground. Once he was finished teasing his light brother, though, Jek became far more curious himself. Looks as if the Suvan pulled so far back it exposed the structure. Looks Akalak in construction, a lot like the buildings on the first tier. Wonder what it could be.

Without even replying, Ashar took off at a jog toward the ruin, much to Jek's surprise. Bare feet plodded against the sand once more as he ran along the beach, the dark brother protesting all the way.

Don't tell me we're actually going to go in that thing? he asked incredulously. This is the kind of thing better suited to an official exploration party, maybe like the infantry Kavran. I'm sure the Council of Ten will want to say something about it first, and besides, who knows what will be down there?

Better than being out here, Ashar replied, altering his course to follow the ruined stone path that came into view in the distance. I've got my weapon handy if we need it. Come on, two birds with one stone - we get to escape this petching heat wave and we get to go on an adventure! Might not be glassbeaks out in the Sea of Grass, but it's bound to be something interesting.

You're a crazy adrenaline junkie, Jek sighed. Well, from the looks of it, we won't be alone either.
Ashar is being renovated. Be patient!

"Do not try to fight yourself. Such is the road to chaos."
Image Image Image
Ashar
Pushing onward

Words: 142780
Joined roleplay: June 8th, 2014, 1:04 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on June 22nd, 2014, 1:24 am

The tide was definitely going out slowly because as the individuals walked towards the ruins more and more of the ruins itself was revealed. It was definitely some sort of religious complex because there were broken pillars and crumbled statues that were unrecognizable scattered on either side of the cobbled stone road that lead out to the buildings. Every bit of stone was covered in sealife. There were corals encrusting most of the stone, obscuring writing and purpose.

Only the stones of the road were visible clearly. They seemed to be made of some sort of rock encrusted with mica or perhaps another highly reflective substance that seemed to cause the road itself to glow under the pressure of footfalls upon it. If a stone was stepped upon, it lit up and then dimmed the moment the weight of a person's footstep was removed.

It was not something anyone had seen before certainly.

The place smelled of salt and the sea, damp, but there was something else too like the scent of excitement. The building itself seemed to revel in the fresh air having been submerged for who knows how long. There were other glowing places, orbs on stones in the courtyard that seemed strangely devoid of sealife. The stone of the courtyard was empty as well, visible and lighting up if anyone entered. There were doors to chambers beyond. The building itself was a sprawling maze that seemed to have multiple levels if where the window openings could be believed.

Getting closer, the individuals from the shore could see a sort of open aired courtyard that was typical of those in Riverfall. It was larger than most of the private courtyards in the city, and it was oddly lit with glass orbs that rested on top of six slim pillars that scattered across the yard. The orbs barely cast any glow and seemed milky as if tainted by extreme age.

The group of individuals walking towards the structure could feel free to mingle, introduce themselves, ignore each other, draw weapons, or explore. While there was seafloor of sand all around the building, one could definitely set out off the path and make their way through the corals and life filling the sea around the temple and walk elsewhere. It looked a simple thing, as well, to pace the outside of the temple to get a feel of it from any side. Corals and other reef structures were there, but the temple seemed to be on a high spot that left it aloft and apart from the rest of Laviku's realm.

If anyone passed into the courtyard they'd see one two sets of doors leading into an interior. Parts of the interior could be seen and looked similar to the courtyard which had partially destroyed walls and very little left to really take note of. A double door set rose on the right, and there was an identical one on the left. They seemed to both enter into the same part of the building though further investigation would be needed.

BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Hirem on June 22nd, 2014, 3:02 am

It was perhaps the most terrifying road that Hirem had ever embarked upon.

He was no passing stranger to the presence of danger; his lifetime, after all, had been spent in Eyktol, the land of howling winds, conniving predators, and the gruelling desert sun. Hirem was intimately familiar with Syna's raging glare boring down on him from above, hunger gnawing at his stomach, as he walked endlessly across the shifting dunes, praying for some Hik fruit to lay waiting on the horizon. He knew, very well, the type of looks directed at a lone desert wanderer in Ahnatep, as thieves lined the alleyways and salivated at the sight of a filled waterskin. He had stepped into Hai itself, and had heard his footsteps echo for miles into the darkened city, even as shadowy creatures crept closer and closer with bows drawn. He had come close to death time and time again, and the experiences had left many scars on his ever-weakening mental state. Every day that he drew breath was a miracle, for he surely should have perished by now.

But never before had the simple act of walking panicked him so.

Part of his fear stemmed from the presence of the sea. Though the tide was invariably receding, Hirem still believed that it could come crashing against the road at any second, sweeping him away and carrying him out into the merciless Suvan. If he fell just five feet away from the stone road and into the open sea, that was it... the Benshira had no experience swimming and no experience with the overpowering motions of the powerful ocean. The simplest of waves could bury him. And, as he distanced himself more and more from the beach of Riverfall, there was less chance that some kindly soul would take pity on him and come to his rescue. It seems as if Atoll will have his revenge. A shame he is not here to witness it.

But that was only part of his fear. The far greater menace to his peace of mind came from the ruin itself. As he walked, his questions about the structure grew, and without definite answers to his questions, he was forced to imagine what might be waiting for him inside the atrophied temple. At first, he fancied that only destroyed statues, crumbling masonry, and abandoned rooms would be found inside the ruins. More and more nightmares were added as he walked and walked and walked, until he was certain that the hand of Rhysol itself had clenched around the temple and was bleeding his evil into that haunted structure. It was not just his own imaginings that scared him - the idea of exploring a ruined temple at sea scared him, and there was a pervading sense of complete strangeness about every aspect of this place. The road itself glowed underneath his footsteps, shimmered strangely in the light... an alien reaction that convinced Hirem magic was at work. The broken statues on either side of the road, foreign to his Eyktolian sensibilities, persuaded him that he would not understand what lay buried here, in this forgotten relic of a bygone era. Everything about this journey told him to turn his tail and run back for the safety for Riverfall.

It was especially frustrating, then, when Hirem felt himself grow more intrigued by what mysteries this temple could contain. It was his own fault really; he had once been a student of history, and had dreamed, in his youth, of exploring Mizahar's distant past and uncovering the secrets that had been obscured by the passage of time. Had he not felt himself summoned by Yahal, Hirem might have remained in Yahebah and turned away from his education as a Rapa, to instead become an expert in history and set about on his grand quest. Nostalgia now flooded his senses, as well as curiosity, compelling him to remain on the road and fulfill his childhood aspirations. Combined with that was a feeling that this was all Yahal's work, for why else would Hirem be summoned to Riverfall if not to endure this particular summer, wither this particular heat wave, and embark on this particular road? I place my trust in the god of Biyram, for he and only he will know whether or not I should return to the shore or press on into the unknown.

Confirming his notion that this was a fool's quest, the Benshira could hear distant voices calling to him from the beach, their words slurred but the intent unmistakable. Spinning about on his heel, Hirem narrowed his brow and peered intently to the distant figures that were walking upon the road themselves. More than one of them are approaching me now... could it be that a great deal of people are growing worried about my safety? He waved his hand in the air reassuringly, shaking his head. "Please, keep away!" He shouted, his own sing-song accent reducing the Common to an unintelligible garble. "It could be dangerous!" Turning back to face the temple, Hirem started when he realized that the open courtyard, at first small on the horizon, was now looming over him, immense in both its size and ruined majesty.

Gawking at the walls that now surrounded him, at the six pillars that dotted the courtyard, and at the aged orbs that rested atop each one, Hirem felt his walk slow to a crawl, and then stop entirely. He stopped and stared all around, wondering what to do now. Those doors into the temple proper don't look like they'd be difficult to enter... but I am not sure I want to enter just yet. Staring at the doors, looking past them and into the darkened halls beyond, Hirem was reminded - with a sudden thrill of fear - of the entrance into Hai, and wondered if perhaps a similar foreboding message shouldn't be written on the walls of the temple. He knew the words by heart: BEYOND ME THE TORTURED CITY, BEYOND ME FEAR AND FIERCE PAIN, BEYOND ME THE PATHS THROUGH THE FORSAKEN, DEPRAVITY BUILT MY FOUNDATIONS, AND PRIDE MY WALLS, AND ALL THE DESPERATE WICKEDNESS OF MAN SUSTAINS ME, PRISKIL WILL NOT TREAD HERE

Beyond me fear and fierce pain...

Abruptly taking a seat on the floor of the courtyard, Hirem bowed his head and shut his eyes tightly. "Oh blessed Yahal, he of the winding road and surefooted path, listen to my pleas now. I stand before the precipice of something unknown to the world, and fear losing my way again in the darkness of the earth. Lend me the strength to carry a light into this place, the light of hope and determination. Lend me the wisdom to find my way through the shadows, into the bowels of this temple and then back again. Lend me the power to resist falling into fear's embrace, and instead, let me become as enduring as the walls of Yahebah. So shall I pray."

Word Count :

My PCs:
Hirem
Hirem
The golden age is over.

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Ashar on June 23rd, 2014, 4:29 am

Ashar

Just as his dark brother pointed it out, Ashar noticed other figures walking toward the same ruin. He had not noticed them before, distracted by the incredible discomfort the roasting heat put him through, but with Jek's comment it was hard to ignore them. Ashar found a way, however. They were probably just heading toward the ruin in search of somewhere cool and adventurous as well. Actually, probably not, but they were all heading to the same place so he would ask if he were ever interested.

Jek, on the other hand, was very interested by these other visitors, but without control of their body he could only see as much of each of them as Ashar was inclined to show. Fortunately for Jek, they seemed to be the last ones headed toward the - or perhaps the last foolhardy person in Riverfall - as everyone else headed toward the same destination was ahead of them. Though it was still somewhat difficult to examine each person without turning their eyes to focus on them, Jek was getting a pretty good idea of who else was headed toward the freshly uncovered structure. Some distinctions would be difficult to make, others were plain and entirely obvious.

For starters, only one of them was an Akalak. Though he wore a shirt - unlike Ashar - that hid his colored torso from view, his sheer height and still visible neck and arms were enough of a giveaway. He bore no weapon, at least no obvious weapon, so not one of the militant sort.

Ahead of him was a woman, obviously so from her hair and her dress. She appeared to be a human, though appearances could be massively deceptive. Aside from the waterskin slapping her side as she walked, she had little else to distinguish her to an Akalak's eyes. Her intent, on the other hand, caught Jek's attention, for she was no walking directly toward the large structure like Ashar was. No, her angle was directed more towards the first one headed toward the ruin, the man leading the ragged pack.

And Jek could swear he looked familiar.

As for Ashar, his head was totally devoid of all thought except for those concerning the intense heat. For all his life growing up in Riverfall, he had never seen the ocean recede so far back. It was as if it had just evaporated in the roasting rays of the sun and disappeared into the sky. Whatever had happened was still happening, for by the time Ashar reached the road itself it was completely uncovered with the ocean falling even further back, as if cowering from the shore. Entire ruined columns and statues were exposed, likely significant monuments to the building.

The road itself seemed rather normal. The stones were rather even - surprisingly so, Jek noticed - for being underwater the whole time, with the gaps filled in with another kind of mineral. Taking a step forward-

Wysar, that's cool! Ashar exclaimed in his head wildly. He had observed the stones lighting up beneath him, a neutral but bright color that followed his footsteps around. Even as he danced about like some madman, the stones always timed perfectly with his footfalls, lighting up as they touched and quickly dimming as they left. For perhaps a little too long Ashar pranced about like a child, absolutely amazed by the display of magic in something as mundane as a road.

Gods, you're embarrassing, Jek remarked.

Come on, admit that's not cool, Ashar shot back to his dark brother, finally calming down into a standing position, beaming down at his feet. That's so petching cool, the road itself is the lamp people travel by! Why doesn't Riverfall have some of these?

Probably because putting in the effort to magically enhance each stone would be too much effort for too little gain. I'm no magician, but this seems like an incredible feat, too incredible for something as simple as a road. While Ashar continued to be astounded by the magic beneath his feet, Jek was far more interested in the stone around them. Erosion had taken its toll, leaving the columns half-broken stumps and defacing the statues beyond any possible recognition. Even so, Jek could not help but notice some similarities to the architecture of Riverfall. At that moment, a particular point of Akalak history came to mind, and Jek became equally astounded as his light brother but for an entirely different reason. Could it really be? No, no it'd be too old. But maybe...

Almost galloping down the long road to the ruin, Ashar hurried forward toward the adventurous unknown, a frontier he had not explored since he first set foot in the Sea of Grass. The ocean breeze began to kick in, the road taking them right up to the seaside, and as Ashar cooled down (mildly) his head began to fill with exiting thoughts of what might be awaiting them inside.

He was not prepared, however, for seeing the courtyard entrance.

Void take me if our eyes aren't lying, Jek remarked as Ashar charged into the courtyard, instantly spinning around to look at the walled space.

Together they soaked in what their eyes were seeing, the familiar shape and position of the courtyard, though on a much larger scale. The path that led through the courtyard and to the building, like so many that they had seen and yet so much more fanciful. The lamp-like pillars with their dimly glowing orbs, stationed so that, at one time maybe, they could provide enough light to illuminate the entirety of the courtyard.

Brother, what have we found? Jek asked, still dumbstruck by the familiar yet alien sight. Ashar was too far gone to even reply, mouth agape as he continually stared at the space. Though Ashar did not realize the full implications of what they had just found, the familiarity of the courtyard in such a place that he did not expect was enough to take his words from him. Jek, however, knew far more about the history of the Akalaks than his light brother did, and though there was not enough evidence to really cement his theory the signs were all there. Truth be told, Jek did not even believe it himself, for even though it seemed the most likely it was simply too fantastical to really believe. But if he was right...

Both were interrupted by the sound of Hirem's speaking, a quiet but articulate prayer that rose from his lips and filled the courtyard. To Jek, who was familiar with the Eyktolian nomad, it sounded beautifully reverent. To Ashar, it sounded as if he were underestimating himself.

"The power to prevail in times of struggle comes not from the gods," Ashar said once Hirem had finished, ignoring the verbal onslaught that came from his dark brother soon after he opened his mouth. "The gods have immense world-shaping power, but we must fight our own battles if we are to be worthy of their respect, let alone their gifts. One can pray to Myri for victory, but Myri will not simply hand it to that one because of the prayer. That is something that you must fight for, and it comes from inside."

Jek was horrified.

Even though those were the most thoughtful words of your life, that was inexplicably rude! You do not know him because you were not paying attention when we met, you have no idea how much Yahal means to him. The dark brother continued to berate the light, going off on another one of his lectures and throwing in some of what he had learned about Hirem as well. How it was rude to challenge someone's beliefs, how Hirem enjoyed writing about his religious experience, how incredibly insensitive it was to yank someone out of a prayer with fighting words.

But Ashar wasn't listening. They had been through this routine enough times for him to know that it was pointless to listen to his dark brother at this point. Instead, he was focused on the dark-skinned human before him.

"The gods give you strength, but the ability to use it well is something that cannot be given. Do not depend on your god, trust that he will be there to catch you if you fail. For in the end, the only one you can truly depend on at any time to do anything is yourself." For a time, Ashar simply stood there, staring sternly and sincerely at Hirem, listening to what he had to say if he did have any retort. But whatever was said or not, Ashar simply smiled. "I look forward to exploring this ruin with you."
Ashar is being renovated. Be patient!

"Do not try to fight yourself. Such is the road to chaos."
Image Image Image
Ashar
Pushing onward

Words: 142780
Joined roleplay: June 8th, 2014, 1:04 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Prakash on June 28th, 2014, 5:32 am

'Will you look at that, these stones, they illuminate whenever we step on them! That's a first, I'd say these flattened stones are manmade, considering their shape and strange effect, as well as the fact they lead to a temple of sorts. Could it be an arcane temple? Maybe revering a magic of sorts?'

'Why are you asking me? Not like I've been here before, anyway, there's only one way to find out. Let's get going.'

Of course Drath was right, it was a silly question to ask and with a hmpfh'ing sound, the Akalak finished jogging over the last part of the road as he arrived at the temple. Now closer to the folk he had been jealous of ealier, he could see that one of them was an Akalak, and the other probably a human man. He was too focused on them to appreciate his surroundings at first, but once he started doing so, he was far too intrigued to turn tail because of the threatening tide.

'Unbelievable, this seems to be an untouched temple!'

The scattered broken statues still present without any human interruption of its serene harmony was an indication of that, according to Prakash. Pulling himself away from the temple's courtyard area, he moved towards the 2 men who seemed to discuss Deities and such.

"Hey, sorry to interrupt but...I'm Prakash...And I doubt we have limitless time here, the tide won't stay like this forever, so how do you guys feel about moving as fast as we can so we can cover as much area as possible. This is a once in a lifetime chance for this temple to be explored after all, no time to dawdle."

Prakash was talking to the men but at the same time turning his head left and right, up and down. After a while he spoke again, this time with a slightly worried look on his face.

"Seems the road here, illuminated by those pearly orbs, leads to a double entry into the temple. One in either corner, tricky tricky...I don't think splitting up and spreading too thin in this kind of unknown territory is wise, what do you guys think? Which door should we take? Although, for the sake of moving fast, and since the doors have the same shapes and ornaments on them...Is the left door alright with you lot?"

Prakash was stumbling over his words as he was clearly excited and in a hurry, he wanted to see more of this uncharted territory. But at the same time he didn't want to drown here either, so he chose for the 'faster run' than normal.
- Prakash
- Yato
- Seyral (Inactive)
Prakash
The Seeker

Words: 57247
Joined roleplay: February 23rd, 2014, 8:07 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Hirem on June 28th, 2014, 5:13 pm

He prayed for what seemed like ages in the courtyard, though it was only a few chimes in truth. Time bled slowly in this mystical place, and Hirem's own fear of what lurked within the temple made each moment an eternity. His eyes were fixated on the doors that led inside the ruins, on the darkened hallway he could glimpse within, on the strange glowing lights that illuminated this courtyard. High above, the unyielding gaze of the sun continued to reign over the sky, making sure that - even so close to the sea - the Benshira was constantly exposed to the touch of bitter summer. Beads of sweat dripped from his brow and rolled down his cheeks, causing him no small amount of discomfort. By all rights, he should be heading into the temple now, just to shelter himself from the rising heat outside.

And yet he did not move. His legs lacked the strength to stand, and his heart lacked the willpower to cast himself so easily into the ruins. His head bent, the penitent Benshira continued to pray to Yahal for support, easily repeating the words that he had mastered over a lifetime. Though he was completely uncomfortable sitting in that courtyard, he struggled nonetheless to center his disquiet mind, using the prayer as a means to calm down. I cannot enter that temple with the weight of Hai pressing down onto my back. Hirem gave himself entirely to the prayer, focusing his attention solely on the verse that slipped from his mouth and the words that followed next. He paid heed only to simple, pleasant memories - memories of learning about Yahal while gathered around his family's campsite, celebrating the evening Masha with song and dance. As he devoted his body to the prayer, Hirem felt his mind gradually begin to unwind, letting go of the many stresses that he had placed there. It was difficult work, thanks to the unfamiliarity of his surroundings and the fact that, if anything was hiding in the temple, the only thing blocking it from the Benshira was an old, decrepit door.

But, after a few chimes, Hirem was able to enjoy a few moments of peace...

before they were ruined by the arrival of others.

He too late heard the sound of somebody charging down the temple road, so preoccupied as he was with the recitation of the prayer. It was only when the final footstep was heard, ringing throughout the courtyard like a struck gong, that Hirem registered that he wasn't alone. Instantly thinking Danger! the Benshira leaped clumsily to his feet, spinning around just a second too slow to face his mystery attacker. His fists clenched and rose to a combat stance, but soon proved themselves unneeded; after catching a glimpse of who had just entered the courtyard, Hirem realized that he knew this person. Jek? He thought, bewildered, wondering what exactly the Akalak from the Library was doing here. But there he was, in the flesh, staring awestruck at the courtyard and wielding a polearm. My scholarly friend must be interested in exploring these ruins, he guessed. And of course, because he is Akalak, he has come armed. He was just about to greet Jek to the temple when Jek suddenly began speaking to him, referencing the prayer that Hirem had just finished saying.

But the words that came out of Jek's mouth, were not Jek's. "The power to prevail in times of struggle comes not from the gods," the Akalak began, making Hirem's brow furrow in confusion. What followed was typical Rivarian fare: the value of the self, the importance of strength, and the ability to find strength, no matter what, in one's own unfailing spirit. The Benshira did not need the lecture, for he had heard it a thousand times before; it was screamed from every rooftop in Riverfall, howled down the cliff face to the beaches below, echoed in the very stones that paved the roads of the city. What made this speech peculiar was that it was Jek who was saying it, the same Jek that seemed so unlike the traditional Akalak warrior. Was it my luck, that I had happened across him in his more enlightened moods? Or I am too quickly jumping to conclusions? But it was more than just the words that bothered Hirem. The tone, the voice, the way Jek asserted himself, even the way in which he acknowledged Hirem seemed entirely different... almost like another person was speaking in place of Jek.

But he had no time to contemplate this mystery. Another Akalak had come bustling into the courtyard during the scholar's speech, and hurriedly identified himself as Prakash. "And I doubt we have limitless time here, the tide won't stay like this forever, so how do you guys feel about moving as fast as we can so we can cover as much area as possible." That, at least, made sense to Hirem, but he didn't know how he felt about exploring the temple alongside these two Rivarians. Safety will come from numbers, after all, but I am not sure that these two are discrete enough for the task. There was no sense, however, in diminishing the intelligence of men that he had just met, and the Benshira did receive some comfort from seeing the weapons that the two Akalaks bore with them. I would rather travel with a group than be lost in the darkness again, blindly stumbling for the exit. Besides, I've been admiring the adventurous spirit of the Rivarians from a distance... maybe this will give me a chance to experience it from their eyes.

"Is the left door alright with you lot?" Prakash continued, drawing a shake of the head from Hirem. "Both doors seem to lead to the same place, but we shall go left, as you say." Taking a deep breath, the Benshira advanced to the front of the group and approached the door first, checking over his shoulder for the Akalaks. "Jek," he announced, directing his voice to the scholar. "Keep close to me." Then, turning back to face the door, Hirem reached one cautious hand out and opened the door, taking a few moments to evaluate what lay within the immediate hall. Then, assuming he could continue uninterrupted, the Benshira advanced slowly, taking one cautious step at a time into the temple until he spotted something unusual.

Word Count :

My PCs:
Hirem
Hirem
The golden age is over.

Character sheet
Plotnotes