PM to join Lovin' Labor

Galvin finally settles in.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Lovin' Labor

Postby Galvin Tad on May 19th, 2014, 7:58 pm

Spring 17th, 514 AV

Days in Zeltiva were easy. Galvin had nursed himself to full health and shellshock had finally gone lax on him. The place he had come to live in was humble, there was a hearth for him to cook on, a bed (although the floor was just as comfy, if not more so), and a place for him to sit and eat.

When Galvin awoke he wrangled in bed for a few minutes before settling down again, it wasn’t until a half hour later he finally sat up and rubbed his eyes out. He let out a sigh and moved to the edge of the bed and opened his chest. Inside was a longsword made from cold iron. Galvin twirled it with his wrist a little and then held it still, trying to see himself in the reflection. The unseen swordsman felt down the tip of the blade, but did not poke himself; he slid his finger down the side of the blade and then rested the blade on his lap. He sat there for a few moments and then locked the sword away in the trunk. When Galvin locked the chest he realized his finger had dripped blood onto the lock.

Galvin lived on what was technically the second story of his building, although he could walk onto to dirt from his floor. They had to cut into the hill to build his apartment. However, he could still take the stairs to the bottom of the building. Galvin knocked on the door downstairs, Mrs. Fairstock answered.

“Well, if it isn’t my favorite boy.”
“Margie, how are you?”
“I’m good dear, how are you this fine morning?”
“Just fantastic. Say, do you mind if I borrow your pot and stirrer, I promise to clean it out once I’m done.”
“Would you look at the manners on you, anything for you Galvy!” She handed Galvin the pot and stirrer.
“Thanks.”

Beside the hearth Galvin kept a bag of rice, a loaf of bread, and some stolen fruit. Galvin had gotten the hearth going with some light wood he had gathered and one of his neighbors logs, which he burned conservatively. He had collected water in a bowl, and once the pot was hot he poured it in. The water was quick to boil and Galvin lifted it off to let it simmer, then put the rice in and began stirring it up. The pot had to routinely be put down on the hearth to gain heat, but then lifted before it was boiled. In just a half hours time Galvin dumped the rice in the bowl and began eating. The rice was burnt and undercooked, cold and burning, but no care or feeling was in the air about it.

When the rice was done and his belly was half full, Galvin pulled closer to him a journal. He flipped open to the latest page, and looked at a poem he had written:

Sailors doing Scholastics,
The tides will rule the mind! I-
Mpulse. Impulse shows in your
Temper, in your fear, in love. One
Cannot learn all there is in a book.

He thought he had written something nice, but one thing Galvin didn’t realize is he did something far more important than write a little prose. He had labored in love.
Last edited by Galvin Tad on July 10th, 2014, 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Galvin Tad
Player

Words: 14690
Joined roleplay: February 24th, 2014, 8:22 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Lovin' Labor

Postby Galvin Tad on June 30th, 2014, 3:57 pm

Staying physically competent is central to a man's worldly disposition. There are many ways he can go about this. He might push himself repeatedly off the ground, or lay on his back and crunch himself, lift heavy objects, or even jump as high as he can for sustained times. Galvin was on the ground somewhere between his right side and back stretching and gasping after three sets of said rotation. He was getting lazy nowadays with his workout, it became routine and easy which made it a chore and not a labor of love. Galv, however, had found other ways to keep busy.

Outside the door a cement guard was placed. Galvin looked out lower into the street and then at the porches. Everyone else had taken the time to rest in, but Galvin no longer had any reason to be resting. He put his foot on the cement and contorted his body around while placing the other. The wall wasn't far and the roof was an easy grip. With his foot now on the protrusion of the front window, Galvin wrangled his knee (which now burned a bit) to the top. Galvin started running, jumping between the rooftops of his neighborhood, which were packed tightly. The tops were clean and offered no obstruction. Truthfully, Galvin had stolen the idea from children, but in his defense it showed to be good fun. As he started heading farther from the hill the white tops had been getting less and less packed. Twelve houses down Galvin realized he had never gone run as far down as he was, and the next jump was a doozy. Galvin thought he couldn't make it, but he also thought he could. He knew that if he didn't try now there was a chance he might never try. He took a few steps back till he was on the edge of his current roof and sprinted at his target. Galvin leapt with one foot forward a little short of the edge. He caught the other, higher roof with his opposite toe, but it didn't hold and he banged his knee and fell, gripping the edge with both sets of fingers. Galvin looked down and could see his feet near a window just like his own. He was scared. Galvin kicked the window and dropped both feet on the ledge. It was dark inside, but no one seemed to be in the room of the window from which he hung. Galvin used his hands to grip the windows ledge and lowered both his feet down as close to the ground as possible and dropped, buckling his knees a little bit at the bottom. Water splashed on Galvin and the ground around him. A woman began crying for the waveguard. Galvin ran.

Off the alley onto East Street men were playing dice for Mizas and loitering. Galvin could see Loveless right up the way. Galvin had spent a few sessions there because he lacked a better hobby, and hardly knew anyone. When he walked in a red-haired woman greeted him with a light smile. She knew him but did not speak about it. Galvin paid his silver and got his room. The next girl walked in, a fair brunette. She said her name was Cathshe, Galvin had never heard anything like that before. They smiled at each other and made remarks of beauty, and then soon fell into lust. Galvin left with satisfied with a lost heart.

Out in the streets the general crowd had cleared and there was a motion up the way. The Waveguard were in pairs with citizens, the woman who had been in the window was one of them, she had gray hair and looked withered, worrisome, and wrathful. Galvin began to walk the opposite way in quick fashion. Like most inexperienced runners he turned to view his chaser. Waveguards were now pointing down the alley at Galvin, the victim of this putrid tale was nodding like seesaw. Not much to do, Galvin began running up East Street but without a crowd he would have to hope to win a foot race. The more he ran the more Galvin realized how much he stuck out: East Street was not going to get Galvin home today. A quick right and down the alley Galvin ran, crossing several more major blocks, he made a left down another small alley. He sat down panting and wiped his head of sweat. After a few minutes passed by the commotion of the streets had died down and Galvin heard chainmail boots clanking off the walls. Galvin, panting now, looked frantically up, down, and around the alley. There was a young human who had been watching Galvin a little up the way. The only option Galvin had was to plead with him.

"Hey! Hey! You gotta help me get out of here man!"
Last edited by Galvin Tad on July 10th, 2014, 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Galvin Tad
Player

Character sheet

Lovin' Labor

Postby Ronin Invictus on July 9th, 2014, 12:05 pm

Ronin hurried back to the small second story apartment he called home. Along the way he dodged a lot of foot traffic, it was quite odd to see so many people out during this time of day, the sun low in the sky. As he neared everything around him seemed to grow darker, the shadows of night creeping ever closer. Death seemed to permeate from everywhere from the spiderweb-like shadows. When he finally reach his apartment the black shadows turned red from his lover's blood.

Ronin woke with a jolt, breathing erratically. It seemed that however hard he tried to forget his sorrow it would always come back to haunt him. He blinked hard, wiping away the tears that came to his eyes as he tried to suppress the images revived from the nightmare. He laid down curled up for a long while suppressing his sadness as best he could, until he forgot again, for now. Nights were always the worst for Ronin, when daily activities were absent to distract him.

Once he seemed composed he opened his eyes again his vision adjusting to the early morning light, he saw he was facing a stone wall a couple of inches from his face. He had fell asleep in a relatively sheltered alley in a small pile of hay. It was surprisingly comfortable, Ronin noted, as he got up brushing himself off. As he looked out into the street from the alley he could see everyone was already out and about doing their daily routines in the chilly morning air.

As a breeze blew lightly down the alley Ronin could smell on the salty air an aroma of fish being cooked for breakfast. Perhaps he would go get some breakfast today, he thought as he picked up his pack. Normally Ronin would go outside the city and hunt during the early mornings, but he didn't feel up to it today.

Just as he was about to head out to have breakfast he heard the tell-tale sound of mailed boots stomping down the nearby street. A moment later a young man came running down the alley apparently in a panic. Ronin was completely blindsided by this, having just gathered up his things to leave when the man pleaded to help him. Ronin's eyes flickered to the end of the alley, they would round the corner any second now. Without a second thought Ronin said "Follow me," and darted towards the building at the end of the alley. As his memory served it was the back entrance to a bar, named after some seaweed or something, Ronin had never been there. He had tried his hand at breaking in through the back entrance once before and had succeeded, but there was nothing there of any value to him. He had however somewhat memorized how to pick the cheap lock they used on the back door with a hairpin he kept for that very purpose and the door swung open easily into what seemed to be a small storage room with nothing in it except a few broken bottles in the corner. Ronin beckoned the young man inside before closing the door behind him lightly. The guard had just rounded the corner as the door closed.

Ronin sighed in relief as he looked through the keyhole, it seemed the guards didn't notice them enter the building and only spent a few minutes searching around the alley before giving up. After those tense few silent minutes in the dark storage room Ronin turned to the young man now, indicating they were gone "The bar doesn't open for a while, so we should be alright," he said before adding, "So what did you do?" he asked curiously. Whatever it was Ronin could tell he wasn't used to committing crime because of how nervous he was during the whole ordeal.
Ronin Invictus
Player

Words: 45120
Joined roleplay: January 30th, 2013, 12:02 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Lovin' Labor

Postby Galvin Tad on July 10th, 2014, 2:40 pm

Galvin had little time to think before the stranger reacted, picking the lock on a nearby door. Never again would Galv leave his house without his thieves tools. Galvin rushed down the alley towards the man and squeezed himself inside the door, but not before peeking his head out and catching the guard just passing by as he entered. Galvin sighed in relief and looked to his newfound companion. He was a tall, slender seeming-human, and although Galvin questioned his own racial judgment he wasn't really in a position to be overly inquisitive. The two were now in a storage room, and, judging from the broken bottles, it was part of a drinking establishment. Galvin began to walk around in a mild angst, partly fantasizing about the different ways the winds could blow now, and partly afraid to break the air.

"The bar doesn't open for a while, so we should be alright. So, what did you do?" Galvin emerged from a closet within the storage unit and came back with a mead for the both of them. He was embarrassed to tell the story, but it was the only thing that would clear his name at this point. Galvin thought that if this guy in fact was a criminal he would probably just scoff at Galv and throw him back to the Waveguard. Galvin popped open the meads and handed one to the blonde haired youngster.

"Funny story there, I went for a run today.. on the rooftops. I ended up missing a step and got caught hanging from a roof. I used some window to get down and this old hag started yelling for the guard. Next thing I know there's a search goin' on and I got people pointing at me. I just ran. That's all there was for me to do: Run." Galvin looked in his accomplices hand and saw the lockpick still hanging. "That was a nice trick you pulled there, really helped in a pinch. I can fiddle with a lock myself, albeit I left my house without my gear. Maybe I can teach you something one day." Galvin took a sip of his drink and realized how he must of been coming off, "Thanks man, truly saved my skin out there." He extended his hand towards his newfound friend, "Name's Galvin. Galvin Tad."

After the introductions Galvin dipped off back to the closet, and, after a few minutes, came back dressed in plain-brown peasant clothes holding two crates. Off the top one he lifted some chefs attire, "this is yours," he said, passing the clothes to Ronin. "Smell that?" Galvin put the now empty crate under the second, which was filled with fish heads. "I wonder how long they've had this for." Galvin paused. "Alright, you're a chef and I'm your porter or whatever. We're gonna' head down by the sea like we're makin' to dump these fish heads in the water. Once we get down there we should be out of their search radius, and after that we can head back to my place and have a few more drinks on me, I owe ya'. If anyone looks at us funny we just make small talk on what we seem to be doing, got it?"

Galvin finished his mead and headed for the front entrance of the bar, "You got me outta' that mess, now I'll get us out of this one."
Galvin Tad
Player

Character sheet

Lovin' Labor

Postby Ronin Invictus on July 10th, 2014, 8:47 pm

Ronin took the bottle of mead from the young man which he looked at curiously. Ronin had never tried alcohol before; this could be interesting, he thought mildly. As Ronin uncorked the bottle and took a small sip he seemed to flinch slightly from the taste, it tasted terrible to him. Putting the cork back on the bottle Ronin placed it carefully on the floor next to him before leaning on the wall and wating for his answer.

Ronin eyed the boy from across the room with some interest as he told his story. Once he was finished Ronin couldn't help but chuckle at the tale. He could somewhat relate with him, running around on the rooftops could be fun, but Ronin never fell yet. When he commented about him picking the lock Ronin tilted his head slightly raising an eyebrow at him, he didn't really seem like the type who could teach him about picking locks, odd. He decided to keep an open mind however, Ronin was not particularly adept at breaking into places, which included lock-picking. "Oh really?" he said in a somewhat sarcastic tone, but didn't take it farther than that.

The kelvic then introduced himself as Ronin, giving a small nod in greeting. As he explained his plan to escape the guard's search radius Ronin was able to keep his composure as he explained. Did he really think all of this was necessary? At least for Ronin he could just walk out, the guards didn't see him and he was never caught stealing for the wave-guard to be looking for him. This was simply too fun sounding to turn down though, "Sounds like a plan," he said smirking as he put on the chef's outfit that he had been given, pulling the loose white garments over his clothes. With his ridiculous disguise donned, he picked up a crate of the smelly fish heads and followed Galvin towards the front.
Ronin Invictus
Player

Words: 45120
Joined roleplay: January 30th, 2013, 12:02 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet