Completed Dark Trilogy II - A Dark Alliance (Brandon)

Hire a thief to steal from a thief. Just hope that yours is better.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

A Dark Alliance (Brandon)

Postby Sal Mander on June 17th, 2014, 10:08 pm

Sal watched the denizens of Lhavit go by as he and Brandon chatted. While their talk was all business - shady business at that - he found himself enjoying the conversation despite the somewhat rough start. Maybe it was the sense of excitement and anticipation that lingered in the corners of his mind, at the prospect of dethroning one of the 'kings' of the Lhavitian underground. But it may have been something more simple than that. He liked strangers, of which he met and conversed with many in his line of work as an investigator. Questions needed to be asked, information gathered and facts compiled. Most of this could not be performed in silence, and no doubt any success Sal could be said to have had with his job was thanks in part to his ability to interact with others.

That strangers were his preference was something new. He'd always been a strong believer in family and friends. Indeed, here was here today in order to try and help a friend out. But in recent times, familiarity had proven to be unwelcome. It was a byproduct of being, for the most part, an honest man. He had kept secrets this season, namely his becoming an Azenth. But the longer he stayed around friends, the greater the burden of carrying that secret.

Not so with strangers though. There were no expectations, no preconceived notions of who or what he was. Let strangers have their assumptions or impressions, but ultimately he was a blank canvas when meeting someone knew, and could add as much color as he wanted in broad strokes or with finesse technique. So then, as Brandon continued, Sal was unable to deny he was enjoying himself.

"Well, apparently he's been cheating all along. It's only recently someone had the balls to say something," Sal offered, adding to the rumors. Of course, his information was coming from someone who was actually there, not just hearing it on the grapevine or around the campfire as it were. The whole issue of why his friend was there to begin with was a matter for another time, and Sal would certainly have a stern word or two to say about it. If he was completely honest, he was doing this more for the man's wife and children. They were the real victims of a foolish husband, and should not have to be held accountable. The fact that his friend had been cheated only made Sal's decision to help easier. He wondered if he would have been as willing if the coins were lost fair and square. It was a question he chose to ignore for now.

“So, let me guess. You want me to go retrieve that lost money? How much are we talking about, ‘cause that guy is dangerous, you know," Brandon asked next.
_____"Actually, I was thinking 'we' would go retrieve the money. It's not that I don't trust you. I don't. But I'd rather be there all the same." In truth it would not have sat right with Sal to send someone to do his dirty work. What if Brandon got himself hurt, or worse yet, killed? Sal could not live with that, and one of the things his father had always taught him was the lesson about taking responsibility instead of avoiding it. Even if Brandon made protest, Sal would not be swayed on that point. It was a team effort, of the bat was out.

"Not only does he have bodyguards, but he is fast with the knife too! That’s what I’ve been told anyway." Brandon's statement was not far off the truth. Burton Tally was something of an artist when it came to knife play, and it would have been foolish for either of them to underestimate the thief's ability, as well as his willingness to use it. To answer the younger man, Sal discretely pulled his sleeve up a few inches and held a hand out. A flame flickered into life, just for a few moments for the bat to see it, before Sal closed his hand once more and pulled down the sleeve.
_____"We have that, should it come to it,", Sal offered suggestively. Not that he expected his reimancy talents to win the day, but it was certainly a handy option in the right circumstances. "And besides, last I remember, you were no slouch on your feet eh?"
Last edited by Sal Mander on September 29th, 2014, 2:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sal Mander
Azenth

Words: 287206
Joined roleplay: January 14th, 2014, 1:40 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Featured Character (1)

Postby Brandon Blackwing on June 18th, 2014, 6:19 pm

We? Ah, this guy was concerned about the money then? Well, the bat couldn’t blame him, thieves were not always known to deliver what they were asked to retrieve, especially so if the trinket was valuable enough, or if the coin pouch was worth running off with. However, Brandon was –strangely enough- more the honest type of thief, the type that did as asked, delivered and saw to it his customers were satisfied. Not that he’d had a lot of customers yet, there was one guy he still had a contract with, an Eth, but he had vanished into thin air right after their initial meeting and ‘solicitation chat’.

“It’s not that I don’t trust you. I don’t,” continued Mr. Mander, stern-faced as ever. The statement confused the bat quite a bit, his mind sent in disarray. What does he even mean? I don’t get it, does he trust me or not? He said that it wasn’t that he didn’t trust me –so that means he trusts me, right? And then… ‘I don’t’. So he is contradicting himself, concluded the bat, deciding the man did not trust him, actually. Well, he could have just said so, Brandon would not have cared, not being trusted by clientele was normal in this business.

If Sal wanted to tag along, it was fine with the thief, as long as the man did not get in the way … though having an amateur in tow might not be that advantageous … Unless of course, the Kelvic pondered, his eyes resting on the pommel of the sword dangling at the guy’s hip, he can cover me should we mess up … or walk into a trap. Silent, Brandon nodded a couple of times, quietly agreeing with the man’s demand. A partner might come in handy, or be inconvenient, though which of the two options exactly he hadn’t figured out yet.

Then, in response to his statement about the skill with knives of their target, Sal merely pulled up his sleeve, causing the bat to arch an eyebrow. “Your point being?” he questioned right before a small floating fire sparked to life in the man’s palm. Flabbergasted, the bat closed the jaw that had fallen open as soon as he noticed it had, but when he recovered from the unexpected turn of events his eyes narrowed with contempt. Magic of all things! He’d rather not have something as unpredictable as magic supporting him, it might just explode right back into their faces! Gods, why did the mages always come to him for assistance? First some guy who could see through him as if he was made of glass, now this dude who thought he could control fire. They were the biggest fools of all, those mages! Thought they can equal the gods with their fancy powers that drove most of them insane, if they weren’t already. Warily he eyed the man next to him with a new perspective, much to his delight the guy seemed to be rather sane, so there wasn’t a real problem.

“If you want to use that as your trump card, fine. Just don’t go insane on my watch,” was the reaction –the spoken one- the bat gave. Brandon liked to think he had a healthy dislike of magic, seeing as it was a force trespassing on the domain of the gods, power that was not intended to be wielded by mortal hands –the fact that it could destroy both body and mind of those foolish enough to test their limits with it, a sight he’d seen a couple of times during his stay in the Diamond, had only strengthened his beliefs. Not to mention that the guards were equipped with that power sacred as well, strengthening his beliefs that all guards were fools.

“Maybe not, but I am unarmed. I wish my daggers were finished already, I might need them soon…” The last phrase was muttered to himself, and might have sounded like some kind of gibberish due to ill articulation. “Our friend there however,” mentioned the thief while nodding his head towards the Rat –his arms were still crossed and he didn’t feel like changing that- and his guards that stood just a few meters away, their glares fixed on their master. Shady types, they were. “has a knife, which he knows how to handle, and bodyguards. In short, they have us outnumbered and have an advantage in both skill and arms. We should avoid a head on confrontation at all costs, don’t you agree, Salamander?”

Credit goes to Engghaen
Fighting Style and Techniques

Credit for this awesome sig goes to Estrellir Konrath
Brandon Blackwing
The master thief Incognito

Words: 1496963
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2013, 3:24 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Sal Mander on June 21st, 2014, 10:30 pm

Sal was no fool when it came to magic and could understand the bat's concerns. Overgiving was a major problem for magic users, but as he saw it, it was rather a case by case thing than a widespread occurrence. Sal had always been taught to keep things simple and never tried to over-exert himself when it came to casting. This safe approach was something he adhered to at all times, as was the teachings of the city. But he would be lying if sometimes he had not been tempted to give just a little more. It was a distant feeling, as though someone he knew calling him from far away. But he knew if he turned to see who it was, he might then approach. Then he would find it hard to turn away, instead drawing nearer and faster before it was too late. The downside to this approach was that his skill as a reimancer had been slow to develop. He practiced techniques until they came to him in moments, but never did he force the learning of new ones beyond a snail's pace. In the same time as Sal had spent learning, others more devoted in their duties to the city had by now far outstretched his skills. But that was the price of caution. The way he figured, he would still get there in the end. It would just take a while longer.

Matters of crazed mages aside, the conversation inevitably drew back to Burton Tally and his band of henchman. It was humorous to watch those bonehead thugs try to look inconspicuous in the crowd, but they might as well have had signs above their heads. If it was not the broken noses and scars that gave it away, it was probably the huge mallet strapped to the back in one case, or the rather well used looking club with nails poking out at irregular angles for another. Sal might have pointed out to them that their weapons did little to hide their identity as bodyguards, but thought better of it. Even the shinya seemed to give them a wide berth, their own stern gazes finding other distractions to look upon as they passed.

The bat's suggestion of avoiding violence met no resistance from Sal. He loved his friends and, clearly, would go to great lengths to help them. But dying over a bent card game was asking a little much. If he could get in and out of this situation undetected, preferably a purse heavier in the process, that was good enough for him. He turned his head to Brandon with a cocked eyebrow and grin. "What did you have in mind?"
Last edited by Sal Mander on December 18th, 2014, 3:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
Sal Mander
Azenth

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Featured Character (1)

Postby Brandon Blackwing on June 22nd, 2014, 1:20 pm

“What do I have in mind? ” the bat mused, wondering if he had something if anything he could use as a plan. He did not, there was not enough information to work with, and planning with too little information was not really good for one’s health, thus he should find himself more trivia he could work with. The only things he knew about the Rat were things he’d heard from gossiping cityfolk, and his new employer. Fortunately, the place where the card game was held was a location he knew about, so that shouldn’t be a problem …

The problem was that in order to pickpocket Burton Tally he’d have to get rid of the bodyguards, and there were some more complications … “It seems to me that we won’t be able to retrieve the Kina by sticking to the easy road,” Brandon observed, his gaze fixed at the shady trio through the crowd, luckily the people were starting to head home –it was almost Noon rest after all. However, the people leaving was a double edged sword; they could spy on Tally with greater ease now, yes, but they would be easier spotted themselves as well. Brandon was pretty good at staying inconspicuous, but that was not a claim that could be made by his companion, whose sneaking skills were terrible, if what he’d been doing earlier was the best he could manage. It wouldn’t be wise to let their gaze linger on the bunch of criminals for long.

“I thought maybe I could pick his pockets, but if that was the solution to our problem, it would have been too easy. He’s too vigilant, not surprising given his line of work, and -see the way he holds one hand near his pocket or in it at all times, his left? I suspect he keeps his wallet there. Even if I would be known as the best pickpocket in Mizahar, I doubt I’d be able to steal it without my skull being bashed by one of those clubs. Besides, I don’t think he’d keep all his earnings with him. They are probably somewhere else, somewhere safe.

Which brings me to the next option: breaking and entering. That would be my favorite thing to do, however, I have no idea where the guy lives –yet. Though I guess I could find out in a matter of days, be it through contacts or other means, but it would be a little dangerous. No doubt he has contacts of his own, people who keep an eye out and make sure to keep nuisances like me away from him and his house. What’s more is that even though his residence is probably thoroughly guarded, it is the first place someone would look for his money, one skilled enough could easily get past his guards and into his house, and run with the cash. No, he keeps it somewhere else, no doubt about it.”

That location was known, but there was one complication: they needed to reach the place safely and get inside without arousing suspicion. “The only place I can think off a man like him would deem safe enough to store his coin would be inside that pub he plays in. Somewhere in the back room, I guess. Probably hidden and in a vault or lockbox…. Won’t be easy to get to … but there is a way we could reach that place… ” It was risky however, and would require some preparation, a lot of it –and rumors.

Raoul could take care of that last part, he knew people, believe it or not, merchants who seemed to get along with the cripple beggar, offering him some loafs of bread every once in a while. Compensation for advertising their business, the beggar had said one time when Brandon had asked about it. Maybe he could get him to do the same for him, for a couple of days, spreading false information about a duo of merchant friends who had started a rather successful business… That should draw Tally’s attention. Only the getup could betray the both of them, but that wasn’t a problem either; back in Fall the Kelvic had stolen an old man named Arthur’s clothes in order to escape the Shinya, he still had them lying around somewhere, clothes that suited the taste of a merchant. However, he only had one set of clothes… the Salamander would have to deal with being Brandon’s bodyguard then.

A grin spread over the thief’s features as he noticed the plan that had formed in his brain, this would be a thrilling adventure, one that held risk, but could be done … it was not impossible. “I think we should get ourselves invited for his little game. As a merchant and protector we will be able to enter without drawing his suspicion, but our story will have to be perfect –we’ll work on that later. ” Indeed, once inside the trick was to play the role one was supposed to play masterfully, if there was even one mistake made, the whole operation would be ruined, however, it was their only shot. Though, it was impossible to win from Burton Tally, the Legendary Streak had proven that many times…. Brandon had to nuance that statement though. It was impossible to win by playing fair, but he did not need to do that. He was not fair, he was a bloody thief. His quick fingers were adept at drawing valuables and purses from the clothes of unsuspecting passerby’s unnoticed, so he was fairly sure he could draw cards from his own clothes right in front of an unsuspecting cheat unnoticed as well. Another grin plastered itself on the bat’s face.

“I say we beat the guy at his own game!”

Credit goes to Engghaen
Fighting Style and Techniques

Credit for this awesome sig goes to Estrellir Konrath
Brandon Blackwing
The master thief Incognito

Words: 1496963
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2013, 3:24 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Sal Mander on June 23rd, 2014, 1:20 am

"At their own game eh?", Sal considered as he took in the young bat's suggestion. It certainly had its appeal too. After all, Brandon's points regarding the other options were watertight. Pickpocketing Burton Tally was about as feasible as okomo meat appearing on a Lhavitian restaurant's menu, while sneaking around his house was a shortcut to getting their throat's cut. If they were lucky. Chances were a man of Tally's reputation would make them suffer first, as a means of making an example of them. Any sign of weakness on his part was an open invitation to other would be scumbags on the criminal ladder looking to climb up a rung or two.

But if somehow they were able to get in on a card game with Tally, well, that was either incredibly genius or just plain stupid. Would the Rat suspect foul play under his very nose? Hiding in plain sight was certainly an effective tool, at least when it was pulled off. Even then, just getting into the game was a task in itself, not to mention from there was a whole other matter. There would be Tally and his lackeys of course, and more 'employees' of his at the den where they held the games. Then the other card players along with whatever entourage they were permitted to bring with them. Certainly Tally would not deny his opponents a bodyguard or two of their own, at least to give them the feeling they were safe. Nobody would want to arrive alone with a big purse of coins, and Tally knew he had to appease their doubts just enough to get them in the door.

Now obviously, there was also the matter of whether or not there would be any more card games. With Tally's luck being what it was, did it not make sense to avoid playing the man altogether? After all, unbeaten as he was, it almost seemed like throwing money away. However, strange as it seemed, there was a certain lack of evidence of his cheating beyond the friend of Sal who had spoken up. People were not stupid of course, and there were suspicions. But at the same time there was also an element of challenge, the chance to be the first to beat him. People liked a challenge, and where the victim could be the famed Burton Tally, little things like cheating got left by the wayside.

In any case, they were not there to win a card game, even if they did have a few tricks up their own sleeves.
Last edited by Sal Mander on September 29th, 2014, 2:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sal Mander
Azenth

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Featured Character (1)

Dark Trilogy II - A Dark Alliance (Brandon)

Postby Raien Ironarm Pitrius on July 19th, 2014, 11:23 pm

XP Award!

Brandon Blackwing :
Name: Brandon Blackwing

XP Award:
Land Navigation +1
Observation +5
Rhetoric +3
Planning +4
Leadership +1

Lore Award:
Mountain Air: A Good Headache Reliever
Having a Sixth Sense for Excitement
Playing Dumb to avoid Unwanted Company
Giving into Curiosity
Ascertaining Truth through Calculating Repetition
Sal Mander: An Honest Man with a Short Temper
Freedom: Worth more than it's weight in Gold
Larceny: Accepting an Unexpected Job
Larceny: Hunting a Hunter
Larceny: Remembering a Mark
Burton Tally: "The Rat"
Rumors: Reputation Destroying Filth
Rumors: They Spread like Wildfire
Sal Mander: A Magic User!
Sal Mander: A Seemingly Sane Mage.
Larceny: Avoiding a One-Sided Confrontation
Raoul: A helpful Asset
Larceny: Planning a Heist on the Fly

Grader Comments:
Impressive writing BB! Still, I couldn't give you much xp in anything other than the above skills, simply because most of what you guys did was talking. That being said, since Brandon did take somewhat of a guiding hand in the planning process, I dropped a leadership point in as well.

Sal Mander :
Name: Sal Mander

XP Award:
Planning +3
Stealth +1
Observation +4
Persuasion +3
Rhetoric +3

Lore Award:
Merchants: Like Vultures, looking for a One Night Stand!
Burton Tally: An Unscrupulous and "Unlucky" Conman
Loyalty: To Save a Friend's Coin
The Beast of Rage: Reigning it In
Sizing up a Mark
Fighting Crime with yet More Crime
Stumbling Mentally due to a Blunt Thief
Repetition bringing Annoyance
Brandon Blackwing: Careful thief or Annoying Talker?
Keeping Confidence under Control
Brandon Blackwing: Djas?
Brandon Blackwing: Indulging a Fake Name
Brandon Blackwing: A "good" Thief?
Affording Respect to a Thief
Pleasantness of Speaking with a Stranger
Reimancy: A tool of Persuasion
Brandon Blackwing: Untrusting of Magic
Reimancy: Understanding Distrust
Burton Tally: Just how Smart is the Rat?

Grader Comments:

Amazing writing as always Sal, as with Brandon. I just couldn't give many xp points. Also as a side note, you should probably at least mention the res used to summon a flame. Even if you only mention a green gas bursting into fire, and not the actual process of generating it. This, coupled with the fact that your getting pretty high up in skill points as far as novices go, means I just didn't feel right awarding a point in reimancy this time around. Sorry if you were hopping for one, but constructive criticisms really the best I can do. :). That being said, I tried to be generous as far as lore goes.

Additional Comments :
I absolutely loved it guys. Especially how both characters were "eased" into working together in a sense. But by the end of the thread, they were both already planning the heist/job. Really a good representation of how quickly things and situations, in life can change.
Raien Ironarm Pitrius
Blackarm the Strong

Words: 109742
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2014, 8:54 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Previous