Closed A Whisper at Midnight

Nighttime walks can be very peaceful.....Or not....

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

A Whisper at Midnight

Postby Saraphina Skyglow on July 21st, 2014, 3:57 am

Saraphina Skyglow

T he knowledge that Enthere was also a large cat shifter actually made Saraphina relax a bit more in her presences. If this Cougar Kelvic had instincts similar to hers, she would be a hunter as well. That meant Saraphina could perhaps predict her a bit more. She gave Enthere a nod of respect when she told them she was a feline Kelvic. She feared the Owl shifter less. Not only had Lavine helped her in the fight, but she was also a much smaller animal than her. Enthere offered her cloak to Lavine and the three women started walking away from the street thugs. Saraphina gave no thought to what was left behind, she had only intervened because it was a challenge. That she'd saved a life was a bonus, not something she was wanted to crow from the rooftops. She kept a comfortable distance between herself and the other two Kelvics, keeping a friendly air around her but remaining on guard. The low light offered no difficultly for her to navigate, but the cut on her arm was bleeding a bit. Pressing her left hand over the wound on her right forearm, she glanced at the two, knowing Enthere at the very least would smell her blood. It wasn't a deep wound, but it showed weakness. Not something she wanted to display in front of other Kelvics without knowing how they would react. She'd hoped her earlier display of fighting prowess would be a deterrent at the very least.

W hen Lavine finally spoke and offered the group a drink at a place called the Kelp Bar, Saraphina tilted her head in an inquisitive manner. A public area to talk in....that would likely put them all a bit more at ease. Any fights would probably warrant intervention from those around them so they would all be less likely to attack. Saraphina nodded in agreement, "I would be fine with that.....I've never had a drink at a bar before. I tend to keep to the wilds more than in the city. But I am trying to experience new things. Where is this place Vinny?" The trio walked towards the docks and eventually came upon a building with bleached board siding and a rowdy chorus of voices echoing from inside. Putting aside her discomfort and using the corners of her cloak to wipe the blood from her face, Saraphina opened the door and headed inside, glancing back to make sure the two other Kelvics were following.

T he inside was much brighter than the dim lit streets and Saraphina's pupils immediately dilated to a thin black slit to keep from make her vision blurry. The bar had a number of rickety wooden tables with matching chairs. Cheerful music and badly sung voices raised an air of celebration and relaxation. Saraphina could not join them as a small scuffle broke out between two men a short distance away. A few punches were thrown before their comrades interrupted. A moment later the two men were laughing and clapping each other on the back. Saraphina shook her head in confusion....why would anyone start a fight without having the intention of finishing it? Humans were still a strange race she didn't really understand. Spotting an empty table in a relatively quiet and secluded corner, the red head headed for it and sat down with her back to the wall. She had a very good view of the room and all the people in it. It helped to calm her. A female server sauntered over, "Som'ting to drink Mate?" Saraphina nodded and held up 3 fingers, waiting for the other two ladies to join her.

Saraphina Skyglow
No chains will ever hold me

Words: 234308
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2014, 11:59 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A Whisper at Midnight

Postby Enthere on July 22nd, 2014, 12:22 am

Enthere followed Saraphina quietly through the town as they grew closer again to the docks. She simply could not think of anything to start up another conversation, she had never been the best at conversation. Especially when the discussion wasn't about anything Enthere was knowledgeable in. They were all female Kelvics at least, that was a start.

She could smell the blood of Saraphinas wounds, it bothered her in a way most wouldn't imagine looking at her. She sensed the other woman was wounded, and wanted to help. But she wouldn't offer unless it came up, she could sense Saraphinas' pride, or knew it was there from her own experiences.

When Vinny brought up the subject of drinks Enthere didn't oppose it. She didn't really like pubs, but she would go with the other women, it seemed the most viable option, and might loosen them all up a bit. The bar was the usual fare made worse by being that of a sea-side town, sailors often had a brief time on shore and most wasted it in places like this. Drinking away the months of hard labor, bad food and poor company. Enthere sat on the edge of her seat, as per habit. She chose an outer seat, with a fairly clear route to the exit, just in case things got hairy. "Watered ale," she told the waitress. She ordered mostly because it would be noticed if she didn't, she wanted to solidify herself in the group as much as possible. And it wasn't that she dislike ale, just that she didn't....like it. Water had always served her just fine, and was far less addictive, and for that matter, water was free.

She turned fully to the other Kelvics, she had kept an eye on them, how could she not given the circumstances? "What made you help that man? Back there, you could have just walked away, anyone would have." She asked, Enthere almost walked away, she practically had. The question was something she'd been wondering since the street fight. Saraphina had said she enjoyed a challenging hunt, but Lavine had never given her reasons.
Enthere's speech
Others' speech
Enthere
Surviving. Fighting. Healing. Freeing.

Words: 56259
Joined roleplay: July 14th, 2014, 4:32 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A Whisper at Midnight

Postby Saraphina Skyglow on July 26th, 2014, 7:40 pm

Saraphina Skyglow

E nthere's presences in the noisy bar was a bit comforting, but Saraphina was still very much on guard. The Cougar Kelvic ordered her drink and the waitress nodded, sauntering away. A few minutes later, a large mug of dark green, bad smelling liquid was placed in front of Saraphina. She eyed the concoction suspiciously and carefully took a sip. The thick drink had a bitter, almost rotten flavor and she winced hard but managed to swallow the mouthful without spitting it out. Deciding to wait a bit before trying that again, she gave Enthere a somewhat predatorial smile, "A thrilling hunt makes the effort worth while, don't you agree. And I have been thinking I need to better my fighting skills...whether the man deserved help or not means little. I acted for myself. Perhaps our actions will remind those men that there are stronger predators roaming about and they will hesitant next time they choose to try and assert their dominance."

S araphina looked at Enthere and found herself drawing a blank. She'd wanted to talk with the two women, get to know them....but now she found she had no idea what to say. Braving another sip of the vile kelp beer and glancing around to ensure that they were relatively out of earshot of those nearby, she spoke again, "Are there a lot of Kelvic's in Zeltiva? I assume most people accept us as a race here as I've had no issues with anyone I've met, but I know that in some places it might be different. Have either of you traveled far? Are you hunters like myself or do you prefer the cities?" Sarphina wasn't intentionally trying to be nosy, though it likely appeared that way. She was just curious about the two Kelvics and generally wanted to know more about them, perhaps go on a hunt with one or both in the mountains.

T here was also the issue of her housing situation. Her stay at the Grotto was coming to an end shortly. As much as she enjoyed the inn, Saraphina was longing for the wilds once more. If either of these girls were staying outside of Zeltiva, it might be possible to befriend one and stay with them. Not that Saraphina wasn't happy camping by herself, but the company of another was a pleasant change. But she would need a bit more information from Enthere and Lavine before she would trust herself to sleep nearby them. The last thing she wanted was to let down her guard and be killed while she rested. That would be a very foolish death indeed. She took another small drink of the alcohol in front of her. It actually wasn't too bad once you got past the first taste or two. But she did have a strange palate and tended to eat things most others wouldn't touch.

Saraphina Skyglow

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A Whisper at Midnight

Postby Enthere on July 26th, 2014, 10:43 pm

The waitress set the drinks on the table, Enthere held her tankard with one hand on the smooth handle, but she didn't drink any yet. She wasn't thirsty, not for ale anyways.

Her only reaction to Saraphina's answer to her question was a tilt of her head, Enthere did find a difficult hunt satisfying, whether she succeeded in the catch or not, it was a fine exercise of her stamina and skills. It was the natural order of things for the strong to prey upon the weak. The cougar hunted rabbits and deer to feed herself, but if someone were to prey upon innocent people she would not see it the same way, that was wrong. Enthere considered this for a moment, what was the difference between the weak rabbit and the weak person? The rabbit would always remain a frail, weak creature, the person could grow stronger, smarter, the person had potential to become a hunter instead of prey.

Enthere finally took a gulp of her drink, it was as sour as any brew she'd ever had, though more fishy, and she rather liked fish. She took another drink. Saraphina's glance around the bar made Enthere quickly scan the surroundings herself, methodically checking that things were normal. She ended the scan by looking back at Saraphina and Vinny, "I have...met a few others like us here," she kept her voice low, she disliked being overheard no matter the topic of conversation. "I've traveled a bit." She added dryly, she'd been across most of Sylira and part of Taldera, in fact Zeltiva had previously been the only major city in Sylira she hadn't visited. Most places were civil enough, but she found few people were actually welcoming. And she didn't often freely tell her race, though most people with wits' to stand on figured it out.

She thought about the last inquiry longer, she was a hunter, definitely, but she always found herself moving from city to city. Always heading towards another large group of people, but she lived on the fringes, finding the wildest places she could while still remaining close to the city or town. She knew why this was, she was part human after all, and yet she didn't know why it was this way. She wanted it to be this way, but she didn't want it to be this way. Enthere wanted a permanent place with the best of both worlds, she had yet to find such a place in her travels. "I'm a traveler." She said, it was the closest she could come to either description. She didn't want the conversation to run dry, so she continued, not giving specific information about her living arrangements, but carrying the topic. "I've only been here about a month, living....outside town. How long have you two been around?" She asked hesitantly, she was good at answering questions, but always tried to hard not to sound rude when asking them. Enthere guessed Saraphina hadn't been here long, she was more like other Kelvics she'd met, but the owl Kelvic was different, she seemed very used to the city.
Enthere's speech
Others' speech
Enthere

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A Whisper at Midnight

Postby Saraphina Skyglow on July 27th, 2014, 4:54 pm

Saraphina Skyglow

S araphina had to strain her ears a bit to hear Enthere's reply over the din of the Kelp Bar. The grey eyed Kelvic had a look of distrust and an air of deep burden about her. She wondered what had happened to Enthere in her past. Judging from the look of her the Cougar shifter couldn't be much older than her. Yet Enthere seemed to have a wisdom and age that Saraphina lacked. Of course, it could simply be her lack of knowledge of other Kelvics. Perhaps all of her race that traveled gained a heavy aura around them. It may be a necessary evolution to survive the world outside of Avanthal. Saraphina knew that the winter city gain more protection and blessing because of the Goddess Queen's watchful eye. Still it was something she wanted to glean from Enthere. To grow and become stronger was her goal, something she would need help to achieve.

S he took another drink of the green liquid and managed a somewhat friendly smile towards Enthere, "I've traveled from Avanthal, the winter city. I....." Saraphina hesitanted and a look of pain and rage filtered across her face. She schooled her features as soon as she could, but the emotions would have been easy for a sharp eyed Kelvic to see, "I...had to leave.....but I have...somewhat found a place in Zeltiva. I don't know if I will stay here, but I want to learn more before I move on. I'm staying at the World End Grotto for now, but I think in a few days I'd like to move back out into the wilds. I'm told there's good hunting and lot of open space. I'd like that. I've met some humans that I could learn to call friend....in time. I don't trust easily....which from what I can see in you seems to be a common trait among Kelvics." She was very, VERY tempted to ask Enthere if she had a Bondmate, for Saraphina knew that within the next year or so, she herself would be feeling the driving need to find the one she was meant to be with. But even as socially awkward as she was.....Saraphina knew full well that breaching that subject with a Kelvic she just met would be far to intimate at this point.

S araphina wondered briefly if she was giving out too much information. Then she decided she didn't care. It was unlikely that Enthere or Vinny cared much about her past or what she intended to do with her future. Right now, she was just another Kelvic conversing with her own race. Both Kelvics could make valuable allies and Saraphina could ill afford to turn away potential resources. Any and all information she could gain was of importance. The more she learned, the better prepared she'd be when and if she choose to leave the city. That Enthere was a traveller was something she wanted to know more about. She had finished about half of her drink and the alcohol was making her head a bit fuzzy. Not liking the sensation, Saraphina pushed the drink aside for a more interesting thing....conversing with Enthere, "Have you traveled far Enthere? Zeltiva is the first city I've every been to besides Avanthal. Are there other cites that you liked or places in the Wildlands that you want to travel to again? Are you alone when you travel?" Saraphina knew that she was being overly nosy and curious, but Enthere was being deliberately vague on everything she was saying. If she hoped to gain any form of trust with the feline Kelvic, the red head was going to have to initiate it. She'd already learned that from the many people she'd met and talked to over the last few days.

Saraphina Skyglow

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A Whisper at Midnight

Postby Enthere on July 27th, 2014, 8:55 pm

Saraphina seemed eager to talk, more so than the quiet Vinny, so Enthere turned almost her full attention to her. The red haired Kelvic was younger than her, but seemed experienced for her age. Enthere would have still been in Ravok at her age, starting life with her new...family. The family she had lost two years ago. The thought hurt to much, and a faint look of pain crossed her face, much like the look on Saraphina. There was so much she had lost in such a few years. She wanted that life back...but she wanted more than that, she wanted a real life, one she chose for herself, one she built. She didn't want to be the poor waif taken in by a stranger, she wanted to be the one caring for others. But she wasn't ready yet, her life was still to broken, she was still looking for the pieces she needed to build the life she longed for.

Enthere's thoughts turned back to Saraphina, "I've been to Avanthal. Its cold there, very cold. But I like it." Her words were blunt, she was still thinking of her home, and why she had to leave. Maybe Saraphina's circumstances had been similar. The thought made her more intrigued, though of course neither would want to talk of such things. She looked down at the table, breaking her gaze for a minute. "I left Ravok, it was my home for a long time...I haven't gone back since." She was happy when the topic changed to include the wildlands. Those untamed places...they were beautiful in a dangerous way that made her skin tingle with excitement, her face was less passionless than usual as she replied. "There is one thing I can say for the wildlands, they were made for those like us, we belong in part to the wildlands." She smiled wryly, "at least I do."

Her drink was forgotten, she was never thirsty anyways. "I wouldn't say I've traveled far." She said, quiet as ever. "But for my years...maybe pretty far. Like I said, I've been to Avanthal and all around Sylira. Its seems like a lot of traveling but I intend to go much farther. There are many places I want to go." Zeltiva wouldn't be a bad place to go from, she could get passage on a boat and go to Cyphrus or Eyktol...places she would greatly like to see, but not yet. Zeltiva was a good place for more than travel reasons. There were plenty of job opportunities here, and the University. She could learn a lot in Zeltiva, and she had grown fond of the sea smells and mountains. She skipped the first to last question, there were simply too many places she would like to return to-many she would probably never find again-and many more places that she hoped never to see again. "Sometimes I travel with a group, or other individuals." It was common knowledge-or she thought it was-that traveling in groups in the wildlands was safer, though she'd ventured it on her own a few times and survived. "I have a horse." She said, he was her only companion, though she definitely wouldn't call him a friend. "He's a pack horse...and he hates me." It was completely true. Ever since he'd laid eyes on her the brown mixed breed had despised her, though he was quite nice to most people. She had decided it was her smell he disliked, the lingering scent of wildcat that warned him of danger. He was an awful menace to travel with. Thinking of him gave her an idea though: horses hated her, but maybe other animals wouldn't. "Do you have any....Animal companions?" She didn't like the term 'pet' as she knew some of her own kind were wrongly considered as 'pets'.
Enthere's speech
Others' speech
Enthere

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A Whisper at Midnight

Postby Saraphina Skyglow on July 28th, 2014, 1:14 am

Saraphina Skyglow

H er sharp vision caught a glimpse of emotion that briefly flicked across Enthere's face, but it was gone so fast Saraphina was almost able to convince herself that she'd imagined it. But the stoic expression was back on the brown haired girls face almost instantly, the steely grey eyes remaining alert and focused. Saraphina gave a subtle tilt of her head in curiosity, but said nothing about it. It wasn't her place to pry too deeply just yet. So the tiger Kelvic remained silent and listened carefully to the other.

T he news that Enthere had been to Avanthal was refreshing to hear. Everyone she'd met so far either hadn't heard of the winter land or had never been there. To speak with someone who knew her homeland was very nice. Saraphina gave the Cougar Kelvic a bright smile and nodded happily, "You get used to the cold after a while. The Aurora is something I miss a lot, but the ocean and beaches here are very nice. I've never been to Ravok but I'd like to visit there someday. I'd like to visit all of the world that I can." When Enthere's face twitched in a twinkle of excitement and her voice's usual monotone shifted, Saraphina was very glad. She was starting to like Enthere, but the terse air and lack of emotion was getting annoying. But she supposed she shouldn't judge to harshly. Really she had no clue what the other Kelvic had been through.

W hen Enthere mentioned about staying with groups, Saraphina perked up. She was hesitant to ask for shelter, but she would need someplace to stay after her fare at the Grotto was up. Enthere seemed nice enough and it would be boring to stay out by herself. Both women seemed to understand each other's independence. Saraphina doubted very much either of them would step on each other's toes. Reaching a decision, she answered in a energetic voice, "I've never had any animals that really liked me. Most Woollies in Avanthal are penned and the handles don't like strangers coming too close. But I liked the areas outside the walls. The tundra's and ice fields have lots of open space." Hesitating about her next comment and remembering that Enthere had witnessed her fighting skills made her next question seem foolish now. Saraphina could very easily been considered a threat to the Cougar. But she wasn't going to tiptoe around the subject. If Enthere said no, then that was that. No risk, no reward as one of her contacts had once said, "Enthere....would....would you be willing to allow me to stay with you in the Wildlands. I have a place to stay for the next few days.....but the city gets stifling after a while. You can say no...I won't blame you....after all you barely know me. But....your company is very nice....and I'm sure two predators together is much safe than one sleeping alone. What do you say?"

Saraphina Skyglow

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A Whisper at Midnight

Postby Enthere on July 28th, 2014, 6:50 pm

The subject of Avanthal didn't seem too painful for the other Kelvic. Actually Saraphina seemed glad they shared a bit more in common, in truth Enthere was glad too. "The Aurora is beautiful." She said in agreement, Avanthal was one of the places she would gladly return to some day.

Enthere idly turned her half full tankard in circles. Chatting was nice, but she needed to do something, it was rare that she was without a task to keep her hands occupied. She should find work soon if she was to stay around, there was usually plenty to be found in port towns like this, and Zeltiva seemed to be no different. The trouble was finding someone that would hire a woman, she'd have more luck looking in one of the taverns. She shook her head, deciding serving work was worse than no work at all.

Saraphina paused, and she sensed unease or hesitation before she continued, and when she finished her proposal Enthere was quiet for a long moment. It wasn't a bad idea, and she rarely worried over camping with someone, even someone as capable as Saraphina. "I...." She said, still swirling her drink around. "Yes. You can stay with me." Her campsite was big enough for them both, they could each take care of themselves...there shouldn't be a problem.
Enthere's speech
Others' speech
Enthere

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A Whisper at Midnight

Postby Saraphina Skyglow on July 29th, 2014, 11:55 pm

Saraphina Skyglow

E nthere's response and willingness to allow Saraphina to stay at her camp brought a pleased smile to her face. Bowing her head in gratitude, she picked up her tankard of beer and drained the rest in a few swallows. Saraphina had to resist the urge to gag suddenly at the intake of foul tasting alcohol. The rush to her head made her eyes cross a bit, but she shook her head and manage a sideways smirk at Enthere, "Hmm....remind me not to do that again. Anyway, thank you for your hospitality Enthere. I swear you will have no trouble from me so long as the same is given in return. I'll join you at your site in a few days....I'll need to pick up some things. But I'm sure we will find a common ground." Saraphina extended out her hand towards Enthere for a handshake to seal the deal.

P ushing away from the table, Saraphina was surprised when the room spun a bit. Her vision cleared rather quickly and she took a moment to stabilize herself. Kelp Beer apparently hit her a bit harder than she thought. Saraphina made a note of that. She didn't want to end up falling down when she left, that would leave her wide open for any and all vagabonds to pounce on her. Nodding to Enthere, she replied to the Cougar Kelvic, "It was nice talking to you Enthere. I look forward to staying with you, but I think I've had enough trouble for one night. Take care when your leaving the city.....its still dark and dangerous out at this hour. Goodbye Enthere.....I'll see you soon." Walking surprisingly straight given that Saraphina was experiencing her first sensation of being tipsy on alcohol, the Tiger Kelvic walked out the door. The cool nigh helped to clear her head and she headed back to the World End Grotto. Unlocking the door, she managed to undress and crawl beneath the covers before falling asleep.

OOC:
Secret :
I think we're good to wrap it up here. Feel free to reply, but I think this was a great thread. Thanks so much Enthere and Lavine. XD

Saraphina Skyglow

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A Whisper at Midnight

Postby Enthere on August 6th, 2014, 2:26 pm

Enthere smiled back at Saraphina; it would be nice to have someone else around the camp, and of course there was safety in numbers. She stood when Saraphina did, forgoing the rest of her drink when she saw how effected the other Kelvic was. "Good night," she said, addressing both women. "Take care until we meet again." She nodded to both in turn, still smiling then turned to the door.

She left a few minutes after Saraphina, leaving a nice tip for the waitress. She had enjoyed the ale, and company, and was always glad when there wasn't any trouble in places like this. Saraphina was out of sight when she walked out the door, and she continued quietly out of the city with no trouble. It was early morning now and things were finally quieting down. The small mountain trail to her camp, barely visible to her trained eyes, was more alive. Everywhere there was rustling and small animal noises. It refreshed her, and she wished briefly that she could join them. But it had been a long night and she was weary. Her camp was just as she'd left it, the pack horse sleeping in the peculiar way horses did-standing. Enthere curled comfortably in her blankets and soon fell asleep.

OOC :
Just wrapped things up, this was a really good thread and I would love to Rp with both of you again.

Saraphina, I will pm you so we can discuss where to go from here.
Enthere's speech
Others' speech
Enthere

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

PreviousNext