Flashback The Most Important Meal of the Day

With hunger ailing his stomach, Nickolai sets out to pilfer some breakfast.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

The Most Important Meal of the Day

Postby Nickolai Marin on August 1st, 2014, 10:40 pm

17th Fall, 506 AV

Despite the fact that the whole of his household still slumbered, the young prowler had arisen in order to sate the loathesome sensation in his stomach. Of course, his humble abode was devoid of any such sustanence, and as such it was time for Nickolai to brave the streets of Zeltiva once again. Although he was but a child in the eyes of many, he had to step into the shoes of the common criminal; solely in the name of survival. Draping his cloak about his shoulders and pulling his hood into place, the young man then made a silent exit from the cottage and began his voyage into town. Due to the hour, most of the stalls and shops were still closed; but there were a handful of farmers who came during this time to set up their wares.

And it was these individuals that he would procure breakfast from this day.

As he made his way down the streets of Zeltiva, the young prowler made absolutely certain to cling to the shadows. The position of the Sun at this time was such that even the smallest building cast a decent sum of darkness; and it was elementary to stay within this cover whilst stepping lively forward. Ultimately, Nickolai came to a halt within a stone's throw of the marketplace. Immediately, he pressed his body up against the nearest wall whilst lowering himself to a squat. His gaze was then fixated upon the few individuals scattered about the marketplace. There were a handful of farmers and a few early customers to worry about...but this was nothing that Nickolai had not dealt with before. Drawing a calming breath, he then took into account where each individual stood before making his move.

Quickly, he stepped away from the wall and crossed the marketplace, clinging to the shadows as always. He then proceeded to navigate from shadow to shadow, crouching when absolutely necessary to avoid the wandering gazes of the farmers. After a few ducks and quick steps, Nickolai finally arrived at the flank of one of the recently stocked stalls...and licked his lips with anticipation. There were berries today, alongside the typical produce. With the utmost care and caution, Nickolai stepped closer to the stall and made a quick series of swipes, grabbing as many berries as his fingers could seize. He then ducked into the shadows once more and began making his way towards the nearest gap between the buildings, stuffing the berries into his pockets along the way.

Once he felt he was safe, Nickolai then placed his back against the wall and slid down to the earth. Now was the time to enjoy his ill-gotten breakfast whilst keeping an eye on the marketplace from afar. Who knew? Perhaps he would find something else just as succulent to swipe.

I am the Master of my Fate...I am the Captain of My Soul.
Nickolai Marin
Survivalist.

Words: 117735
Joined roleplay: July 27th, 2014, 7:18 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Eleret on August 2nd, 2014, 10:53 am

Syna's rising brought light to the city, sparking brilliance from the sea and painting Zeltiva's buildings with soft radiance. It gave the city a sort of beauty that Eleret thought needed Konti eyes to see -- a moment where the city seemed a living thing all its own, caught between sea and earth, breathing in the first breath of day. Its wasn't a graceful beauty like Mura's; not in the least. Zeltiva's buildings were angular and blocky, its streets crashed together with no sense of flow, and in some respects she felt it to defy the sea rather than embrace it... but she appreciated the city's character all the same, even in those moments which drove home how foreign it still could be to her Muran sensibilities.

Of course, that fragile moment of appreciation could only be fleeting; it passed as Syna shaded from the lambence of dawn to the stronger light of day, revealing only buildings of inanimate wood and plaster, crowded together shoulder-to-shoulder, streets of weathered and dingy stone at their feet. Those streets weren't crowded with people yet, as they would be in perhaps another bell; now thus was a perfect time for Eleret to go about her errands, before the market became packed. She had adopted a skirt and blouse of Zeltivan style, both in shades of jade green, and came armed with a basket to carry purchases in.

This early in the day, the market smelled of salt and seaweed, laced with her gift's impressions of the few people nearby. One merchant smelled of licorice and copper, his dark gaze intent upon the Konti; his stall displayed a number of appealing root vegetables, along with some berries she didn't know by name, but Eleret kept walking. Down the lane, another stall offered many of the same things, but its proprietor gave off maple laced with lilac -- a combination she knew to be friendlier. There, she paused, examining the wares in more detail. The merchant greeted the Konti with expansive smile and engaging patter, one which sounded well-practiced to her ears.

Eventually, she picked out a handful of carrots and two small onions, along with a cup's worth of soft red raspberries. Six sm, he asserted, and cheap for a pretty daughter of the sea; to which Eleret laughed, shaking her head. Even she knew better. Three, the Konti countered, if cheap to be true... and after some further back-and-forth, merchant and customer finally settled on a value they could both accept. Then Eleret took her leave, continuing on down the row of market stalls, the merchant watching after her as she departed.
Common | Kontinese | Tukant | other people
Eleret's Konti gift is to perceive the moods of others as one or more scents.
Eleret
Player

Words: 179278
Joined roleplay: October 21st, 2012, 12:33 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Nickolai Marin on August 4th, 2014, 10:16 pm

For one of such youth and circumstances, the city of Zeltiva lacked the splendor that captivated countless visitors. He did not marvel as the light of the sun brushed upon the architecture, nor did he bask in the supposed glory of the streets. No, for Nickolai, the port was a prison bordered by water. It was nothing more than cold stone that did nothing to soothe the rampant hunger which threatened to claim his life. If things were different, perhaps he would be able to appreciate the years of effort put into the city's aesthetic. If he were not poor and practically starving, mayhaps he would enjoy his journies throughout Zeltiva; as opposed to clinging to the shadows in order to pilfer whatever he could. Alas, those were simply the cards life dealt the young prowler...

Reaching within down, Nickolai slid his hand into his pocket and gingerly retrieved his meal for the morning. Apparently, luck was on his side this day, for the quantity of berries he had stolen were larger than what he usually got away with. Licking his lips, the young man raised the first berry to his mouth and indulged in a bite...then exhaled happily as the sweet, yet tart, flavor exploded upon his tongue. The berry was fresh and delightfully chilled due to the morning temperature, making the experience all the better for the hungry lad. Then, giving way to his ravenous appetite, Nickolai began shoveling the pilfered berries into his mouth one after another whilst chomping away rapidly. Juice spilled from his lips and slid down his chin as he ate, but for the moment he could care less.

When it was all said and done, the young prowler ceased his feasting like an animal when he reached the last berry. Rolling it between his fingers, he noted that his stomach could use some more food...and part of him already missed the berries he had wolfed down. With a hint of reluctance, he popped the final berry into his mouth and chewed it over; then taking a moment to wipe the stray juice from his chin. He then rose from the ground and looked out of the alleyway, debating which stall to strike next. However, as he thought over this decision, he caught sight of a woman bearing a basket. She was not a familiar face in the slightest, and he wagered that he could outrun her if push came to shove...But first, he had to check if the contents of the basket were worth snatching!

Emerging from the shadows, the young man lowered his hood and stuffed his hands within his pockets. Striding forward, he began to head in the woman's direction whilst humming a tune. His head was then lowered, thereby giving him the look of one simply not paying attention...and bump! His right elbow collided with the basket and Nickolai added an exaggerated stumble to the altercation. Turning about, he then looked upon the woman with "sincerity" and said: "I'm terribly sorry miss, are you alright?"

Nickolai Marin
Survivalist.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Eleret on August 9th, 2014, 9:47 am

Another vendor -- this one female -- beckoned the Konti over with gesture and spoken call. Her table boasted an array of fresh-looking breads, to which Eleret gave a small nod. Yes, she needed to get bread today. The next stall over looked to have some early apples; she made a mental note to stop there next.

Approaching the stalls, Eleret didn't see the boy until he was nearly upon her, cinnamon and steel suddenly strong in her nose. Too late, by then, to avoid the collision; the basket pulled back on her arm and his weight jostled her to the side. She caught herself as he turned, reaching out to help steady his balance as well -- not a small boy, at nearly her own height, but he looked underfed even to the Konti's eyes. She cast a smile at him, pleasantly amiable and all unsuspecting. "Do not worry," Eleret assured, her Common distinctly accented. "It is well.

"You are well, also?" she went on to ask, realizing that something felt... off. The impressions taken by her gift and her eyes did not quite mesh: one had him curious and intent, the other distracted and apologetic. Both attitude and affectation seemed quite harmless -- but Eleret wondered at the pretense. Then again, there were plenty of students at the University who wanted to charm the Konti, or just to ask questions, and adopted some subterfuge or another to initiate conversation. Perhaps this was just more of the same.
Eleret
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Nickolai Marin on August 15th, 2014, 5:19 am

The collision was...significantly different than any other that the young larcenist had fabricated. Typically speaking, such altercations were met with anger and sometimes shoving; for those with wealth always assumed that they were in the right. However, this woman did something far opposite and set the wheels of indecision spinning within the rear of Nickolai's mind. For one thing, she did not respond to the bump with any sort of annoyed behavior, but instead reached out in an attempt to steady him. This gesture, so small and practically instinctual in others, was so foreign to Nickolai that he practically did not know how to react. Furthermore, when she smiled, the initial train of though screeched to a solid halt and the young man gaped for a moment.

She was pretty. Very pretty.

In the eyes of one so young, the woman may as well have been a deity quietly strolling about the marketplace. However, once she addressed him with her accented voice, Nickolai snapped out of his "daze" and quickly responded. "I'm fine miss, thank you!" he began, earnestly attempting to match the warmth of her smile by flashing his own. Now came the moment of truth, for his eyes slid over to the basket which hung from her arm. If he just snatched it as quickly as possible, he could probably make it into the alleyway before she could give chase. (Of course, this was simply the estimation of a hungry youth, confident in his abilities). However, while she did have food and it could have been an easy snatch in his mind...Nickolai struggled with the thought of taking from one who had extended to him common courtesy.

And ultimately...he decided to let it go.

"Sorry to have disturbed you, I'll get out of your wa-" he said, before being interrupted by the most basic of bodily functions. Apparently the mouthfuls of berries he had swiped were far from being enough to fill his stomach; and as such it demanded more! Rumbling aloud quite noticeably, Nickolai promptly placed a hand upon his abdomin and willed the embarrassing display to halt. All the while, crimson surged onto his cheeks and sweat immediately began to bead upon his palms.

Nickolai Marin
Survivalist.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Eleret on August 16th, 2014, 9:45 am

The flavor of the boy's mood shifted faster than Eleret could quite parse, but the warmth of his expression and voice were clear. He asserted his well-being... but his being apparently disagreed, the boy's stomach rumbling most audibly. He flushed red, and his mood shifted to the pungency of mustard. And -- had he been studying her basket? She really wasn't sure... though Eleret had her suspicions, and resolved to act upon them.

The Konti offered the boy her most charming smile.

"You are of the city, I think? You speak... Zeltivan." Her free hand gestured towards the market stall she had been heading for, and the vendor who had rapidly developed her own suspicions, watching the pair with caution. "I am not. Maybe you will help me pick what is good?"

A little misdirection. A little lie of omission; foreign, Eleret was, new, she was not. But the appeal for help often worked, coming from a pretty, delicate being such as a Konti. And if she could persuade him to tag along, under the guise of 'helping', she could see to it the boy at least got breakfast. Her Muran mores would be happier for it... and so, most likely, would he.

She moved towards the vendor's table. "There are many breads here." Plain wheat breads, wheat and rye breads, breads with herbs, breads with oats. Breads with olives, breads with nuts, and breads with kelp or laver, which the Konti took particular note of. Even what looked like breads with honey or molasses, though those were the most costly of all. "Would you recommend any kind?" Eleret asked -- of the boy, not the vendor.

The woman behind the stall gave her a curious look, her expression lightening back to its previous welcoming cast at the prospect of, yes, a paying customer.
Eleret
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Nickolai Marin on August 26th, 2014, 12:25 am

Although he had been a resident of Zeltiva from the instant of his birth, Nickolai had never considered the manner of his speech to be "Zeltivan". Of course, this was due to the fact that literally everyone he knew spoke with the same accented tone of voice. However, only now had he began to wonder if his tone carried some sort of definable accent in comparison to that of the Konti's...However, upon the second rumble of his stomach, the whole train of course derailed quite brilliantly. He then began to think about the only thing that could sate the pangs in his stomach: obtaining food! With a slight nod, he then placed his attention upon the stall that she had indicated before saying: "Sure, I'd be happy to."

Of course, he had just agreed to the silent torment of gazing at food up close and was ignorant to the good will of the Konti.

Following along after her footsteps, the young larcenist began to question whether or not he had made the right choice. Now, with his stomach alive with hunger, he desired more than ever to swipe something to devour. What's more, as they continued their approach towards the stall, the scent of freshly baked bread invaded his nostrils. Alone, the aroma was heavenly...but when famished, the smell was beyond divine. Immediately, Nickolai became very conscious of the edges of his lips; for he caught himself salivating and had to quickly rectify the situation with the back of his hand. After discreetly wiping his lips, he wiped his hand on the rear of his shirt before coming to a halt at her side. Leaning forward, he then peered into the stall and allowed his eyes to wander over the different types of bread.

Plain? No. Rye? Ick. Honey? Expensive....Ultimately, after mulling it over for a few moments, Nickolai made his suggestion. "The bread with nuts looks amazing. That one!" he said, giving her a nod coupled with a smile.

Nickolai Marin
Survivalist.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Eleret on September 8th, 2014, 11:51 am

The boy agreed with gratifying promptness, following her to the vendor's table. Eleret waited patiently as he studied the breads on offer, catching the seller's glance over his head. Pale fingers flickered in the dawnlight; two, she gestured, to the vendor's evident but silent bemusement. Hey, if the customer wanted to buy more bread for this probably-thief boy, so much the better for her. The Konti smiled at their small conspiracy -- well, her small conspiracy -- then redirected her attention to said boy as he straightened, declaring his selection.

Amazing, he called it, and "Amazing?" she echoed, smiling fondly at his enthusiastic endorsement. "Then it is certain, we must have it." The vendor picked up two loaves and set them before the Konti, glancing briefly at the boy. Seven cm for two, she put forth, attention turning expectantly to the one with the money. "...But I think not that amazing," Eleret countered, her tone regretful. "It is not a pile of nuts I buy, but bread. I will give five, yes? We agree five is fair?"

The vendor held out for six, to which Eleret conceded -- she did not cling so tightly to her copper mizas as all that. And the longer they argued, the longer the boy stood there hungry. Money and figurative titles exchanged, she slid one loaf of bread into her basket, taking the other in hand as she turned away. Towards the boy. "This," the Konti said, holding it out to him, "is for your help here. If the bread is amazing, it is right you have one too."

And even if it wasn't, it was still right that he have some. Perhaps only in her opinion, Eleret thought, the vendor's bemused expression flashing briefly past her mind's eye -- but she was buying, so hers was the opinion that counted.
Eleret
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Keene Ward on February 9th, 2015, 7:12 am

“It is the brain, the little gray cells on which one must rely. One must seek the truth within--not without."
- Poirot

Eleret :
Skills:
  • Acrobatics | +1 EXP
    Investigation | +1 EXP
    Negotiation | +2 EXP
    Observation | +5 EXP
    Organization | +1 EXP
    Persuasion | +1 EXP
    Philosophy | +1 EXP
    Planning | +1 EXP
    Rhetoric | +1 EXP
    Socialization | +4 EXP
    Subterfuge | +1 EXP
Lores:
  • Persuasion: Little White Lies

Post Script :
Just a quick note here, in Zeltiva all the food not "sea related" is regulated by the government, so it wouldn't be in the little shops.

Beautiful writing! Wow. I really enjoy the flow of your writing, as well as the really smooth and effective use of description. Really nice, and I hope I get to grade more of your stuff! Please let me know if you have any more questions!
Keene Ward
Chilly Wizard

Words: 1279864
Joined roleplay: October 16th, 2014, 2:16 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Character (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) One Million Words! (1)
2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2014 Top NaNo Word Count (1)